Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Trumpet fish look loving ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Segmentation Fox posted:

I wish to contribute additional love for the best fish sunfish, also known as the MOLA MOLA.

Explorer Mola has made an astonishing find.

:3: :3:

do you want to hear the worst joke

ok

What kind of fish is Korean and doesn't know what's going on?

A SUNFISH "mola mola" is similar to "I don't know" in Korean; you can hear it in that PSY song where he cups a fart in a girl's face.

FutonForensic posted:

Trumpet fish look loving ridiculous

This fish is amazing. This thread is amazing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A two-kilogram Coregonus lavaretus.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

yo heres another weird nasty fish. this ones eating a shark

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RandomFerret posted:

I like that it looks like it's saying "OOOHHHH YEAH!!" and just accidentally eating the shark.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I like that it grins afterward.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stuff that eats via suction terrify me because they just swallow everything whole and alive.

Jellies aren't fish though, so here's a goofy fish; the tripod fish.

Tripod fish live on the deep sea floor. 3 of their fins have grown extremely long to the point where they aren't very good for swimming. Instead, it uses the fins like stilts and walks along the ground most of the time. They usually just stand around doing nothing, waiting for food to come drifting through the current to them. They just wait to feel something bump up against their fins and then flick it into their mouths.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

AcetylCoA! posted:

Did a project on Oarfish in 3rd grade. I made a stuffed paper model to hang from the ceiling. All hail the King of the Herrings!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__r2df_5S9M

Speaking of mysterious deep sea fish; rumors of the coelacanth's extinction have been greatly exaggerated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzzxOlFJtzg

Just had a long day, and finding this out while all snugged in bed made it worth it. I'm so glad coelacanths are still kickin round, it's like a relief I did not know I needed. :3:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I love Potato Cods :3:

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

Schindleria Praematurus

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I like cory catfish :3: look at those little whiskers!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pikestaff posted:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Clown loaches are cute but they get pretty big whereas cories stay little so you can have a whole school of them :kimchi:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nurse sharks are extremely my favorite because of how chill they are. It makes it much easier to take pictures of them.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

cmndstab posted:

That is one evil loving fish in the top right.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Pikestaff posted:

aaahh I was gonna post these!! I have nearly a dozen emerald cory cats in my aquarium and I love them so much, the way they swim-wiggle when they're foraging is so cute :kimchi:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cmndstab posted:

don't touch fish with bare hands diver dude

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I submit the humble rabbitfish, or "sea mouse" as the Norwegian name translates; for the utter derpiness of its appearance, and the awesomeness of the Latin name Chimaera monstrosa:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
It's not a fish but I hope friends of fish are allowed - I also love cleaner shrimps like the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp:

They hang out on top of your rocks and clean fish that come by. I had one and he would clean my clownfish all the time. You could also stick your hand in the tank and he'd come up and clean you too, although it feels kind of weird and is kind of gross if you think about it too much.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEWC2Fr07tE

Remoras are actually pretty cute. They just want to know why you have so few places to adhere to and so few parasites to eat.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
White-eyed/greyface moray eels. They have such adorable little baffled faces. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPhw3UZJc7c

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Moray eels are p much always adorable. Plus they're super doofy looking when they come all the way out of their hidey holes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

There was a writer called Robert Lloyd Fish who used the gnome da plum Robert L. Pike welp that's my people called Fish story hope you enjoyed it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
There was a programmer called Phil Fish who was going to make a game but didn't because of Twitter or something.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

How about the Vampire Tetra

even without camera tricks it's an impressive looking Dracula fish

it has fangs that can grow up to six inches long, which works because there are pockets in the skull for them to fit into.

it can grow to a weight of 17-18kg and impales it's victims on it's teeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl9O27-9rfI

it often can outgrow the fish tanks that amateur aquarists buy it for and you should probably keep it with fish that don't fit in it's mouth because otherwise it's going to chow down.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

RandomFerret posted:

I'm like 80% sure that little shark manages to escape by being spat back out because it's got spines on its fins. Either that or I've seen a very similar encounter where it does.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Pyrotoad posted:

I'm like 80% sure that little shark manages to escape by being spat back out because it's got spines on its fins. Either that or I've seen a very similar encounter where it does.

It does. The smaller shark is a horn shark, the bigger fish is an angel shark. That footage is from a fairly old documentary, late 80s-early 90s

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
I've always liked the Arowana because they look like they're grumpy all the time to me. :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

The Barreleye is a very strange looking fish that lives deep in the ocean, though not as deep as some of the weirder fish you may have seen such as the Anglerfish. The two indentations on the front of its head are not its eyes as you might assume, but its nostrils. Instead, its telescoping eyes are on the inside of its head, which you can see clearly as the majority of the head is transparent to light. The eyes are barrel-shaped (hence the name) with bright green lenses. They typically point upward so that the fish can see the silhouette of its prey against the faint sunlight of the moderately deep sea, but it can also point them forward if the need arises.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Deep sea fish are really bizarre and amazing. Its such a different world down there that the hunting and survival strategies employed and have led to all sorts of weird looking creatures

Gulper eels have a body that is almost entirely mouth and stomach. Their jaws are massive and can stretch out even further. Their tiny bodies can expand to accommodate creatures larger than it is. These features allow it to consume prey that would ordinarily be far too big. Their teeth are tiny and only useful on smaller creatures, so anything else they come across is swallowed whole. All of this makes them rather horrifying to me, but they are remarkable creatures. A lot about them still isn't known due to how difficult it is to observe them in their natural environment.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Deep sea fish are the best. The words 'gulper eel' are inherently terrifying.

Animals that live off thermal vents or the gradual sleet of decaying whale carcasses are deeply unsettling.

The pacific viperfish is a good one

Though possibly less scary when you see it at scale.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
See, the first few pics had me thinking of this terrible, angler fish monster. Now it's just a leech with abnormally large teeth. Deep ocean fish are loving freaky.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Intoluene posted:

See, the first few pics had me thinking of this terrible, angler fish monster. Now it's just a leech with abnormally large teeth. Deep ocean fish are loving freaky.

Photography is largely why so many people have that "oh man gently caress the ocean, deep sea fish are scary!" mindset. People take exaggerated photos of awesome fish because scary and weird poo poo sells better than "Hey, check out this rad fish I found". Seeing the picture of that thing against a guy's hand, it looks really cute. They look like they'd be the annoying one HP swarm enemies in a shooter, and they'd probably make comical noises when they blew up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Onion’s 2016 Fish Of The Year Is…

http://www.theonion.com/article/onions-2016-fish-year-fish-54880

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

That's bullshit.

Sunfish funfish! Here's a big fucker: https://youtu.be/JsvLgDDafus