Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009
If you wanna talk about "TDIGate", here's your chance to not clutter up the VW/Audi Questions thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Supposedly the 3.0 discussion will be done at the end of the month. Older models bought back and newer models will get a software fix. Logic tells me if all it would take is a software fix they wouldn't have done it in the first place unless it ruins power/economy.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Didn't they try a "software fix" on the 2.0 motors that didn't do anything? I have a feeling its an attempt to buy some time hoping they don't have to buy back all of them.

Gonna attempt to call VW again today, see if I can talk to someone who might have actual answers instead of giving me bullshit to get off the phone. I still can't get over the fact they told it would "take a couple of days to upload my documents, its 7 pages so it takes a long time".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just came through on the wire that they will fix most of the V6 cars but also buy back 19,000 that aren't fixable, presumably because they aren't worth the effort to fix given their remaining value.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You forgot Porsche in the title.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
My TDI is too old for this thread :smith:

But my dad's was one of them (2010 TDI Special Edition), unfortunately it was in an accident a year ago and he doesn't know if he'll be covered yet.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

slurry_curry posted:

Didn't they try a "software fix" on the 2.0 motors that didn't do anything? I have a feeling its an attempt to buy some time hoping they don't have to buy back all of them.

Gonna attempt to call VW again today, see if I can talk to someone who might have actual answers instead of giving me bullshit to get off the phone. I still can't get over the fact they told it would "take a couple of days to upload my documents, its 7 pages so it takes a long time".

the big difference is gvwr, the US has more lenient requirements if its a "truck" (ie over 6,000 gvwr). Thats why a patch will work for suvs but not passenger cars. Its loving stupid if you ask me.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

My TDI is too old for this thread :smith:

But my dad's was one of them (2010 TDI Special Edition), unfortunately it was in an accident a year ago and he doesn't know if he'll be covered yet.

if the vehicle was totaled after the scandal broke he is eligible for some of the compensation money.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

My appointment is scheduled for Dec 1 at 10:30 AM. I'm pretty sure Dec 1 is the earliest date they will schedule them, since I checked every dealer in a very large area.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

My appointment is scheduled for Dec 1 at 10:30 AM. I'm pretty sure Dec 1 is the earliest date they will schedule them, since I checked every dealer in a very large area.

Yeah, the earliest I could get was December 20. I'm positive that a meteor will crash into my car before I get the money.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, the earliest I could get was December 20. I'm positive that a meteor will crash into my car before I get the money.

Here in Canada we haven't even settled on the 2.0 motors yet. I'm hoping for parity with the US settlements, adjusted for Canadian car pricing, but there are no guarantees yet. https://www.vwemissionsinfo.ca/ has some of the info in it.

We should hear more after December 19/20th.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Anyone get a letter in the last week? We are still here just twiddling our thumbs. I don't know if anything will happen this holiday week.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Not me, and I am a good bit past the 10 business days they told me.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
My documents have been approved, well past the 10 days they had to determine my "elegibility", still no contact or letter. Getting pretty sick of paying on a car I don't drive. Fuckers better buy my 100k mile warranty package back too.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

interwhat posted:

My documents have been approved, well past the 10 days they had to determine my "elegibility", still no contact or letter. Getting pretty sick of paying on a car I don't drive. Fuckers better buy my 100k mile warranty package back too.

Haha, you know they won't. I think they're deliberately moving slowly on this in an effort to allow people to bump up their mileage just a little more each day, so they can save a few bucks.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Haha, you know they won't. I think they're deliberately moving slowly on this in an effort to allow people to bump up their mileage just a little more each day, so they can save a few bucks.

They also aren't able to tell you what you put down as the milage when you call, and wait forever on hold. I hope I put what I think I put for milage.

Also bastards are taking forever. I just want this lawn ornament to be gone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
They have an extra 10 business days to get your loan balance from your lender.

There are only 19 business days in November :argh:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

BraveUlysses posted:

My lender is VW Credit

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

alternate.eago posted:

My lender is VW Credit

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

alternate.eago posted:

My lender is VW Credit

:same:

i'm sure it doesn't matter who the lender is, they're gonna take up all of those 10 business days.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

alternate.eago posted:

Also bastards are taking forever. I just want this lawn ornament to be gone.

Can I have it?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Well I guess none of us will have anything to be thankful for this week.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

CommieGIR posted:

Can I have it?

Only if you give me enough to pay off the loan.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kramdar posted:

Well I guess none of us will have anything to be thankful for this week.

I'm thankful that I'm going to be receiving $14k for a car with 180,000 miles on it. That pays off over half my new Civic Hatchback. I'll miss the drive and manual transmission, but not the bullshit repairs I've had to perform in the few years I've had the car.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm thankful that I'm going to be receiving $14k for a car with 180,000 miles on it. That pays off over half my new Civic Hatchback. I'll miss the drive and manual transmission, but not the bullshit repairs I've had to perform in the few years I've had the car.

How many door latches/lock modules?

If t makes you feel better, I'm getting 16k back on a one year old car with 15k miles that I paid $25k for. Yea plus the restitution, I'll "make out" pretty much even. Negative if they don't compensate for the $2200.00 100k mile warranty. So much for keeping it till 100k lol heh heh

interwhat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 22, 2016

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Yup, thats what I figured out last time I called them. I was told that the first step was finished on the 8th, so thats when the second 10 day period starts, so I *should* see something from them tomorrow. But it could take an extra couple days, so maybe Friday? I will probably try and call them on Friday if I don't see anything. And theres not much I can do about it next week since I will be in Vegas for work.

As for the mileage poo poo, last person I talked to said that my mileage was originally noted asa ~24k miles(what it was when I filed out the paperwork) and that my return mileage range is 25-30k miles. So as long as I am under 30k miles when I turn it in, I will be fine. I don't know if I really believe that, but its what they told me.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

interwhat posted:

If t makes you feel better, I'm getting 16k back on a one year old car with 15k miles that I paid $25k for. Yea plus the restitution, I'll "make out" pretty much even. Negative if they don't compensate for the $2200.00 100k mile warranty. So much for keeping it till 100k lol heh heh

They wont, ffs read your contract and call and have it canceled. 99℅ of the third party warranty's have cancellation policy's. I posted about this like five months ago. And the ruling in the court case said pretty much the same.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

interwhat posted:

None, actually. I've, however, had to replace the glow plugs twice, a pump, multiple sensors, and the heater core has crapped out twice - the latest less than a year after it was replaced. There have been other issues, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. Maintenance doesn't bother me, but replacing items that shouldn't break at under 100-150k does.

Jalopnik article regarding the delays. Looks like VW is dragging its feet on lease holders (speculation) and a lot of dealerships are only offering a max of six buyback appointments per week.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Owners: what is your overall opinion of VW (VAG) after all of this? I stayed far away from VW cars because of friends who owned them, but they seemed like Apple products - great while they worked, but that wasn't often enough to command a price premium.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Nocheez posted:

Owners: what is your overall opinion of VW (VAG) after all of this? I stayed far away from VW cars because of friends who owned them, but they seemed like Apple products - great while they worked, but that wasn't often enough to command a price premium.

I'm not buying them again. However, I wasn't any kind of fanboy before. I chose a Passat TDI because it was pretty much the only full sized sedan with a nice interior that got really really good mileage. I also figured as a diesel the engine would last 300k miles or so. Now, theres other nice sedans with better mpg that don't have the VW costs associated. Also, gently caress em, even though the buyback is fairly generous for me, this is some bullshit.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Nocheez posted:

Never again. Never again.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Vw : not a chance in hell ever again. Audi: possibly, porsche: yes.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

For fun I always like to ask teenagers what they think of different brands, got the chance to ask a 15 year old looking at cars what they think. He really wants a ~10 year old Focus, thinks they are amazing and underrated value cars. When I asked about VW he said "they are like Monsanto and Goldman Sachs, no way"

It's gonna be a generation or two before VW recovers from this, this is not a few people being melodramatic. It's a massive cultural shift.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Like emocrat, I purchased because of the projected engine life and MPG - I'm all about the wallet, since I have a long commute (of course, after I bought the car, diesel skyrocketed.) Because of the repair issues I had, and the higher cost of ownership, I would probably not buy VW again. That being said, a lot of cars on the road today have a high CoO, so, assuming you're not paying the added premium for diesel, it might be a wash. The last couple of cars I had were 10k oil changes, while all of the newer ones I was looking at, including the Honda Civic I bought, are between 5-7k oil changes, even if they are using synthetic - personally, I think it's a scam to get you into the dealer for a $80+ oil change quicker.

I will say this - ask me again in a couple of years. I think the VW will be pretty hard hit by this fiasco and will lose a lot of the brand loyalty - they're going to have to improve cost and quality, so you might see some really good deals and cars come down the pipe in a few years.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The deals are happening right now if you're willing to stick with the brand. Sales are waaayyyyyy down, and it's not just cause of the diesel shitfest.

Initially I had written off VW (and audi) forever and ever after this debacle but i really want to talk myself into getting a GTI sport but all the good prices are 3k miles away.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

The deals are happening right now if you're willing to stick with the brand. Sales are waaayyyyyy down, and it's not just cause of the diesel shitfest.

Initially I had written off VW (and audi) forever and ever after this debacle but i really want to talk myself into getting a GTI sport but all the good prices are 3k miles away.

Yup. I'm trying to get a local dealer to honor a quote from a dealer on the east coasat for $6k off a '17 GTI Sport. They're close but not close enough. If they get it to within a few hundred bucks I'll do it. I know how bad VW's sales are and I don't have to buy another VW. Gonna have to work the shaft real good to get me back as a customer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there's a 1k loyalty bonus available now and you can always push for the SCCA discount which is supposed to be 500 off invoice price i think.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

They wont, ffs read your contract and call and have it canceled. 99℅ of the third party warranty's have cancellation policy's. I posted about this like five months ago. And the ruling in the court case said pretty much the same.

Good info, thank you

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah we're in the never again crowd. I was in love with the idea of a car we could get new and drive for 150k+ miles with good fuel efficiency. I bought that green diesel horseshit hook line and sinker.

If it had been a high maintainence lemon I'd be annoyed but it's knowing they lied about the product and that I was enough of a sucker to buy that really galls me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I was never a VW fan and pretty much went with a JSW tdi because of the limited options for a wagon and their resale value. When I bought mine, 2 year old ones were selling for ~2k under new MSRP, and they sold quick at that price. At the time I had a longer commute, so the extra MPG made sense. Right before the scandal hit, I was actually looking at trading it in for something else since I no longer have a commute. Pretty much right as I started seriously looking at replacing it with an i3, the scandal hit. Now it just gets driven mostly in 5-10 minute increments and is pretty much always in regen mode, which makes it terrible to drive and I am sure is taking its toll on the engine.

I might think about sticking with VW if they would sell the e-golf here, but after all this I would rather just avoid them all together. I thought about an Audi, but as I continue getting treated worse and worse by them in the buyback process I want nothing to do with them ever again. Thankfully I am not a huge Audi or Porsche fan, so I am OK never buying another VAG product. At this point it is either getting replaced with a leased i3 or a CPO e350.

Also no word from them today, even tho I was told this was the last day of the second 10 business day period. And from what I can tell my warranty refund has not hit my load yet, so I have a feeling its going to be a while till I see that money either.

• Locked thread