Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I don't work in the industry but let's go with it

Lets talk about TV (and probably radio!) technology! Let's talk about how studios work and are wired up. Let's talk about the future and how TV will be. And about idents and clocks, and regional opt-outs and inject points. And antennas.

I love broadcasting, both the technical and the production aspects, and I do camerawork/editing/audio stuff as well (but not for TV/Radio). It's an incredibly nerdy thing to like, depending on how far you go with it. People who keep testcard videos? Nah, not my thing (but a quick trawl of YouTube reveals it to be very popular). Interesting diagrams to show how things are linked together? Sign me up!

Here are some things from the broadcast industry that are either amazing, sort of cool or hilarious:

Remote production

Ever get annoyed by satellite delay in live interviews?* Well, broadcasters are rolling out something that it makes it worse. Not by making the delay longer, but by introducing an entirely new one!

Usually you measure all your delays from where the show is being produced. By produced I mean where the video and audio is mixed together as a final output. So if the presenter is in a studio they'll hear the remote interviewee audio in their earpiece at the same time it arrives at the control room next door. The only delay is when the presenter asks a question and the remote interviewee has to wait for it to get to them to hear it. This is also the case for remote broadcasts: if the presenter is on site at a stadium for a sports event and is interviewing someone elsewhere, there will only be one delay IF the show is being cut together at the stadium.

But moving staff and equipment costs money. A lot of money. Everything is so heavy. What if you could use your infrastructure already installed at your headquarters to produce the show there? You'd save a ton! Send all your video and audio feeds back and mix them on site! Great!

Only not great, because now your presenter on site (and they have to be on site because the viewers expect it) is a further hop away from where the show is being produced. So you have to wait for a delay BOTH ways. Probably double the time. And it's very irritating to watch. The BBC used this method for the Winter Olympics in Russia and it just made interviews between the Olympic park and a remote venue just interminable. But hey, money saved is good and now everyone is doing it. Changing the industry really. You don't really notice as a viewer. Maybe less camera angles at an event? Depends how much you can squeeze down the link.

*In practice most broadcasters are moving away from satellite now in favour of fibre and IP, but those can have their own delays. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer.

The BBC and the fake Big Ben clock

In the early days of broadcasting when links were unreliable live shots were always a risky challenge to undertake. Every New Year's Eve the BBC would show shots of the clock face at the Houses of Parliament as the clock struck midnight and Big Ben rang in the new year. But for an organisation as prestigious as the BBC a loss of link was unacceptable. How could they guarantee that it would be ok?

By building a scale model of the clock face in Television Centre and pointing a camera at it. The cheats!

Every year that got set up and the time synchronised exactly with the real clock and the chimes would be ready to go (recorded on an earlier day). They even lit it with sodium lights so it looked like it was being bathed in street lights.

Nothing more to add on this other than it's a rather amusing solution. The BBC always like to double things up. Just in case, you know?

New Zealand TV and national news

It's the 60s and you've just started doing television to the whole nation, but right now the main cities broadcast independent programming. How do you link them all up for network programmes?

Well the traditional way is to have lines coming in and out of your station that go to other stations, so that content can be sent up and down the line, then switched in to circuit elsewhere etc. So you'd be in a studio and on the bank of monitors in the control room you'd see all of your cameras to choose from and also the outside source as well. Then you can switch seamlessly between them.

Only problem was that New Zealand didn't really have a full microwave network between the stations. Early days, and all that. It wouldn't be completed until 1969, so there had to be another way to do it. So, rather than taking all the feeds into a central point and switching between them for the production, TVNZ took the rather bonkers step of using the television transmitters themselves as the switchers. A complex arrangement of transmitters relaying a signal from one to the next in a line until all the transmitters were broadcasting the same source.

For an example of this clusterfuck I will now defer to Wikipedia:

quote:

The NZBC's microwave network between facilities was very much ad-hoc. Due to a shortage of microwave links, the network was completed by "off air" hops, where a 100 kW regional transmitter was received and re-transmitted by another. The network news was made possible by switching inputs to the regional transmitters, so that a signal could be relayed across the country.

For instance, the Te Aroha regional transmitter for Hamilton could be switched away from Auckland programming to relay off-air, the Wellington signal coming up the country. Auckland then could see Wellington via Te Aroha. The non-synchronous switching was done manually initially and later with tone switching. During the network news presented from Wellington, if an inject was required from Auckland, Auckland would switch from transmitting Wellington pictures to transmitting, briefly a black screen with a small white "A" in the corner. Then each transmitter down the country would have to switch over so that the "A" would eventually appear in Wellington and beyond.

Once all centres could see the "A" caption, the Auckland inject would be played. At the end of the item, the process would be reversed with a "W" for Wellington being switched sequentially, and then finally the Wellington presenter would appear again in all centres. The viewer would see a black non-synchronous switch which would take a second or so. Eagle-eyed viewers could see the identification letters change on the corner of the screen.

Those with poor vertical hold would have to wait a little longer for the picture to stabilise. Occasionally, a transmitter would be switched out of sequence and the viewers would be treated to the sight of 100 kW of video feedback.

Fantastic. A complicated bodge job that looked loving awful for the viewer but that got the job done.

Those are three things that are interesting about broadcasting. Ask/tell some more things. Share historical fun things about TV in your country. People remember TV history fondly to a ridiculous detail sometimes (over here in the UK especially). Wanna know how something is done on TV/Radio or how something works? Wanna tell us about your best bodge to keep something working? I don't work in the industry but I do audio/video things. The rest of the knowledge is just traditional British shed-style nerdery. I'll take anything. Oh god I love broadcast tech.

Or just share fun poo poo like this:

(Not all the TV in the UK, just networks run by the company UKTV)

thehustler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

*Reserved for interesting links/resources*

Like this one, if you're sufficiently technical enough to be interested in it. These are the guidelines that all UK broadcasters follow (the BBC version of the document), and a large amount of international broadcasters are taking them and using them either as/is or with minor modifications. This makes sharing content between broadcasters and across international boundaries much easier.

http://dpp-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/specs/bbc/TechnicalDeliveryStandardsBBC.pdf

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 17, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fuuuuuuuuuck yes this is my jam :cheers:

I have a side job with a local sports network largely covering area high school and college games, and worked about 6 years in radio beforehand. It's amazing how the most professional-looking broadcasts can in reality be running on a razor's edge between success and disaster.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Noice! I do web streams and a lot of those have gone well and some have made me want to stick my face in a blender.

I'm multi-camera directing a webstream of a conference tomorrow. I like ordering camera operators around :)

Also it looks like this thread didn't work :)

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

thehustler posted:

(Not all the TV in the UK, just networks run by the company UKTV)

This is a familiar sight and setup in a lot of data-centers and telecom racks to this very day. Redundancy as the customers define it is my buzzing in their ear about these setups.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well, I guess this isn't working. Mods, if you see this, would you move it to the Science subforum please?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

thehustler posted:

Well, I guess this isn't working. Mods, if you see this, would you move it to the Science subforum please?

This might do better in Ask/Tell.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

This might do better in Ask/Tell.

Probably right

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Bumping now this is in Ask/Tell. Arise, nerds!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Got experience and going to college to get the degree to back it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
US broadcast geek here, can answer questions. Mostly from the field production side, but also some light engineering stuff.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Awesome! Tell me, is everyone moving to fibre and IP for feeds now? Or is there still a place for Satellite feeds?

Over here in the UK broadcasters have direct lines at a few key areas such as Parliament or Downing Street so they can plug in for maximum quality and latency. Studio productions are usually fibred onward for distribution. But the vast majority of outside broadcasts seem to still use SNG vans. Except for some bonded 4G use for special cases or where large numbers of links are involved like elections.

Sorry that's a lot of questions.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Seems to be changing quickly. Terrestrial microwave is still super popular for latency and quality reasons, but they have these mobile packs that use several 4G connections banded together - the quality is really good for what it is (and you can be 10 floors up in a building and not have to cable to the roof or the ground to get a signal out). The investment in SNG had a 30 year payback, and I think those invested in it (the networks, etc) will still be using it for a long, long time.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

It's amazing how the most professional-looking broadcasts can in reality be running on a razor's edge between success and disaster.

That's what I loved about working in TV. Like the TVNZ story - sometimes you need a ridiculous kludge because you don't have the equipment yet. Or, it's 20 minutes before air, and you need something to work and will figure out the real solution tomorrow. Cleverness is rewarded by the audience not seeing anything wrong.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

chmods please posted:

That's what I loved about working in TV. Like the TVNZ story - sometimes you need a ridiculous kludge because you don't have the equipment yet. Or, it's 20 minutes before air, and you need something to work and will figure out the real solution tomorrow. Cleverness is rewarded by the audience not seeing anything wrong.
I once was behind the camera, 15 seconds to air, on a main thoroughfare in Albuquerque known for drunks and hookers. The walk light turns green and I see a drunk and a hooker start across the street for us, and see the live truck, the lights, the camera, and the reporter, put it all together in their drug induced haze, and head straight for us just as I hear "take remote" in my ear. I step aside the camera, pull a notepad from my pocket, and proceed to "interview" this hooker and this drunk until the reporter finishes his bit, I let them wave at the camera (while the story was rolling - they never made air), and they walked out of frame just as they came back to us and the reporter and he finished the story. Seamless!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

photomikey posted:

I once was behind the camera, 15 seconds to air, on a main thoroughfare in Albuquerque known for drunks and hookers. The walk light turns green and I see a drunk and a hooker start across the street for us, and see the live truck, the lights, the camera, and the reporter, put it all together in their drug induced haze, and head straight for us just as I hear "take remote" in my ear. I step aside the camera, pull a notepad from my pocket, and proceed to "interview" this hooker and this drunk until the reporter finishes his bit, I let them wave at the camera (while the story was rolling - they never made air), and they walked out of frame just as they came back to us and the reporter and he finished the story. Seamless!

This is why I made this thread. That's fantastic.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

thehustler posted:

This is why I made this thread. That's fantastic.
I used to shoot in the helicopter a lot. It's like a video game. You hold this giant joystick thing with a million buttons and fly in circles around big news.

Well, once a year they take the camera off the helicopter for maintenance. And during that week, you either don't fly, or you hook up a harness and hold a camera out the door of the chopper.

Big forest fire that week. They send us up and after about a million revolutions of a forest fire with my eye pressed to the viewfinder sucking smoke out the door of the helicopter... I don't feel so good. I can't hear a loving thing through the headset, I'm just trying to hold a steady shot. I'm feeling worse and worse. Finally.... YAAAAAAK. The technicolor yawn.

If you didn't know what was happening while watching TV, you'd see it, but not know what it was. But I pulled the aircheck the next day and you could totally see the vomit falling onto the fire.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

You know what I'm going to ask next.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Here's a good story from BBC days of yore.

http://wiki.tx.mb21.co.uk/index.php?title=Down_the_Tubes

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

thehustler posted:

You know what I'm going to ask next.
I've been out of TV news about 10 years now, and 10 years ago was just about the advent of encoding video on a hard drive for personal use. I have some of the good moments of my career, but they're in a stack of beta tapes in my garage.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I do networking for a large television station operator in the US. As with everything else, Everything that's not big enough to stand on their own ( think KABC or WNBC in giant markets) is getting bough up by station operators and having many of their systems and processes centralized. It also pushes the envelope on retransmission negotiations with cable/satellite carriers as the more viewers you have, the more you can hold them over the collective heads of the carriers.

When I get few, I'm going to post about some of the technologies were using. More and more of the broadcast systems and the actual streams are IP based now and there's some cool stuff we get to play with :D

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

thehustler posted:

Awesome! Tell me, is everyone moving to fibre and IP for feeds now? Or is there still a place for Satellite feeds?

Over here in the UK broadcasters have direct lines at a few key areas such as Parliament or Downing Street so they can plug in for maximum quality and latency. Studio productions are usually fibred onward for distribution. But the vast majority of outside broadcasts seem to still use SNG vans. Except for some bonded 4G use for special cases or where large numbers of links are involved like elections.

Sorry that's a lot of questions.

Were moving to Fiber on most of the remote transmitters with microwave backups, generally Heartland Video. We get them set up as a layer 2 connection, because we have learned that the best way to route video traffic is to not route it at all. Bonded 4g is used extensively with TVU packs in the field for live shots instead of rolling the truck like everyone had to before.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

When I get few, I'm going to post about some of the technologies were using. More and more of the broadcast systems and the actual streams are IP based now and there's some cool stuff we get to play with :D

This thread is finally going places...

So much difference between Europe and the US of course, mostly with how your networks work due to distances between areas etc. I'm always interested in the presentation side, about how feeds come in and how local stations work them.

I can post about the UK's TV distribution post-war if you want? Such a clusterfuck...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Being on the IT side of it, my knowledge of the broadcast automation systems aren't as up to snuff, but I'll do my best.

Fun Toys:

TVU packs

In the past, to do live shots before you either had to do it via satellite or roll the big rear end news van with the point to point RF dishes, requiring half the engineering staff to come along for the ride along with the reporters, camera guys, etc. As mobile networks have gotten better and better, they come out with these babies.

..and their corresponding receivers back at the station. These encode and send the video back to the station via aggregated 4G modems. You can hook almost any video source to them, including mobile devices and dump the video directly into the newscast or into the edit bays for production work. They are unbelievable timesavers and bandwidth hogs. Many stations have 3 of these, so if they're all on, you're looking at 30 megabits each coming in. We have something in place that allows every station we own to feed their TVU shots to a central location, but that's all I can really say about it.

Streaming/Syndication devices

Imagine for a sec, you have a newsroom and a website where people can watch the newscast live. You're in a metro area where you could have as many as 10000 to god knows how many viewers watching the news on mobile or web. At ~5-10 mbps each your webservers would catch fire, you would peg out gigabits of bandwidth, and the engineer would drink himself to death. To prevent that, you use one of many streaming services. We mainly use Anvato and SyncBak. They send you an appliance that takes either ASI or SDI video streams (sometimes both) encodes them and puts the video on various content delivery networks that can actually handle getting hit by half a city. These can easily take another 30mbps of your upstream, but it beats the hell out of the alternative. Were moving to Syncbak more now that google bought Anvato and their support is poo poo.

I'll post more stuff later. Outta time

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I use a streaming box thing for my webcasts! A DVEO Mamba. RTMP capable so can send to YouTube or Facebook live too.

All from an ATEM system.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Has the proliferation of cheap tech driven down rates and salaries in the broadcast side as much as it has on the indie film side?

I mean I love the democratization of tech as much as anyone but in practice this has cause so many jobs to fall by the wayside.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Armagnac posted:

Has the proliferation of cheap tech driven down rates and salaries in the broadcast side as much as it has on the indie film side?

I mean I love the democratization of tech as much as anyone but in practice this has cause so many jobs to fall by the wayside.

The two things I see from this perspective are... IT and Broadcast engineering are quickly becoming one in the same. The higher level networking, systems administration, and development work is either outsourced or centralized. At least in our sphere of influence, the "IT" and broadcast engineers are getting helpdesk levels of pay and work while the "Chief Engineers" and the outsourced/centralized network and systems admins are doing the higher level stuff.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Armagnac posted:

It's driven down the number of people. The rate is still the same (in my purview), but production crew size is down by 50% or more. Field productions, it is usually me and a well-seasoned grip. Control room productions where there were 10 people, there are now 2 or 3. One of the local stations has a control room inhabited by 1 person, the "pilot", who directs, TDs, runs audio, runs CGs. (That's at least 5 positions 5 years ago). The studio has 1 person running robo cams (used to be 3 cam ops) and floor directing, and one person running teleprompter. Not including talent, that's 3 people doing ten jobs.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I'm a picture researcher at a UK news channel and my dad was a sound/camera man and then broadcast engineer at one of the big US broadcasters so I think this thread will be fun.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

dandybrush posted:

I'm a picture researcher at a UK news channel and my dad was a sound/camera man and then broadcast engineer at one of the big US broadcasters so I think this thread will be fun.

So one of two news channel then. I won't try and guess :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Trying to kickstart this thread again with some history. Consider the Channel Islands:

How do you get colour television to a distant group of islands just off the coast of France with 1950s technology? And do it without causing any interference to France? UHF was the colour system used in the UK and has quite a shorter range than the old B&W system. So what to do? You make a loving huge antenna on the coast of one of the islands to receive an incoming feed over a distance way larger than desirable.

Sadly no photos of anything other than a prototype: http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/fremontpoint/fremont-sabre.php

This antenna received a direct off-air feed of the ITV service for the south west of England, complete with that company's branding and indents, so it required some quick switching to make sure that viewers in the Channel Islands didn't see that content and instead saw the locally generated stuff.

Later on this dirty feed was supplied by fibre or satellite but it still took a ridiculously long time until ITV distributed a clean feed to what was a tiny area of the country with a fiercely independent culture.

American networks just started feeding a network feed right to affiliates from the start, right?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

thehustler posted:

American networks just started feeding a network feed right to affiliates from the start, right?

Basically. Either via microwave radio relay, or coaxial lines run across the country. They were really the natural extension of the older radio networks operated by the same companies.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
How deep can broadcast subchannels go? Every channel around here has a X.1 and X.2 but a channel just added a XX.4. In 5 years am I going to be watching PBS Basket Weaving on channel 47.9?

As a sort of add-on question, my NBC bought ABC. NBC is on 25.1 and they moved ABC from 19.1 to 25.2. They kept 19.1 around, but it's Comet TV. What the hell was the point of that? I figured they were moving ABC to a subchannel to save transmitter costs or some such, but they keep 19.1 around and make it an "off brand" network?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How much does satellite time cost?

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I wish I could contribute on the technical side of things, but that's not my area of expertise. I mainly have to deal with producers treating me and my coworkers like human search engines, and logging hours and hours of raw/produced footage.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Athanatos posted:

How deep can broadcast subchannels go? Every channel around here has a X.1 and X.2 but a channel just added a XX.4. In 5 years am I going to be watching PBS Basket Weaving on channel 47.9?

It entirely depends on how much bandwidth is available on a single ATSC digital TV channel minus overheads. You have to squeeze in your channels into that space. So if you reduced the quality of every subchannel you may be able to squeeze in another subchannel.

This is what did for digital TV in the UK, as when it all started it was great quality and only a few channels per multiplex. They they started adding more and more and eventually everything was a low bitrate mush.

Greed, basically.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

dandybrush posted:

I wish I could contribute on the technical side of things, but that's not my area of expertise. I mainly have to deal with producers treating me and my coworkers like human search engines, and logging hours and hours of raw/produced footage.

That's ok I dig that too, I'm a freelance cameraman/editor so I like that side of things as well.

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011

thehustler posted:

That's ok I dig that too, I'm a freelance cameraman/editor so I like that side of things as well.

That's cool. I do really enjoy logging well-shot rushes rather than some of the dodgy, wobbly stuff we sometimes get in. Seems unbelievable that ITN still send SD pool footage sometimes, although it's rarer now. The most 'editorial' stuff I get to do is to compile the best bits down for clip sales. Although it drives me crazy when I have to listen to long interviews or speeches as I have no training in transcription and it takes an insane amount of concentration in a busy office.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Does ITN send journalists out with cameras to self-shoot like the BBC? They give them Fisher Price cameras and they're frequently over or under-exposed and requires a ton of post-work. Especially from English Regions.

Allegedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dandybrush
Feb 7, 2011
I believe so. Frustratingly it is often for events that are not big, interesting stories but ones that do well for our clip sales (the only bit of news that makes money, apart from the demon of.advertising). So royals that aren't Wills and Kate or the Queen, or non-blockbuster showbiz events often come in as really poor quality, also hampered by the fact the poor bugger with the camera is in a scrum and having to do live points as well. It's still better than no pool camera being assigned at all though, I guess.

• Locked thread