Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Welcome to Final Fantasy 2 Mafia!

This will be a semi role madness style game for 17 players

It will be important to read and understand the OP because there is a LOT of information.

Link to Final Fantasy 1 Role Madness!

Lot's of Changes this time around!

First off, the skill system.

FF2 introduced a system where levels were not a thing, and each aspect of your character leveled independently. So for example, if you wanted to get better at using axes, you had to attack with axes, if you wanted to raise your HP, you had to get hit and lose some. So in essence, it is a classless levelless final fantasy.

This is probably my LEAST favorite final fantasy game in the main series (granted i haven't played any of the mmo ones.) but since i am going to do this thing all the way up to FFX-2 I would be remiss for not running FF2.

To translate this to mafia I have 14 total skills

Skills go up when used , by 1 point each use, just like the game.
Players will choose to use an attack skill OR their ability each night/day as using one locks the other out for that day/night period

SOME players will have additional abilities beyond their attack, Some players will only have their skills so NOT EVERYONE has a mafia related ability beyond their attack or item use at night.

Health and Magic

Each player will start with a certain amount of HP and MP , If you are ever dropped to 0 HP you will be dead and removed from the game and flipped with the following day's flip.

MP will be consumed when casting spells, based on the level of the spell being cast.

Weapon Skills:
These skills are direct attack skills. A player with a weapon may choose to attack at night, their attack will have an automatic % chance of hitting, with additional chance based on skill level.

Each weapon also has an associated property as follows.

Swords: Balanced between power and utility, most swords do less damage than axes but have some minor support function associated with them

Staves: Geared towards magic, Staves attacks do very light damage but staves typically have an effect increasing either MP or specific spells

Spears:
Versatile, can be used like a spear in melee combat or thrown.

Bows: Long Range, When attacking with bows status effects can usually be applied but bows tend to do less damage

Axes: These are powerfully damaging weapons that are usually slower and don't have extra effects.

Daggers: Smaller quicker blades that do less damage but can have other effects

Unarmed: Every character can instead of using weapons punch people, in the beginning, this will do very little damage and have no utility of effects, but who knows how powerful this could become?

Maces,Clubs,and Hammers: Heavier weapons that do more damage than swords but typically have some chance of stunning or dazing an opponent.

Magic Skills:

These are Magic Spells which must be purchased by buying a tome spells can have varying effects

Fire: This is a spell that does fire damage and later on may cause continual burning damage

Blizzard: This is a spell that does cold damage and later on may freeze an opponent

Thunder: This is a spell that deals thunder damage and later on deafens and Stuns an opponent

Cure: This is a spell that heals a target player and later may also remove negative effects

Protect: This is a spell that protects a user from physical based damaging effects

Shell:
This is a spell that protects a user from magical based damaging effects

In addition items and armor will be available for purchase

Armor will provide Absorb of a certain amount, reducing damage taken BUT with the caveat that heavier armor will make certain weapons and spells less effective.

Armor:

Unless noted otherwise, all armor reduces spellcasting ability

Shields: Held in off hand, can not be used with Axes, Staves, Bows
Helmets: Lowers ability with Bows and Daggers
Cloth: very low absorb but usually increases spellcasting ability instead of decreasing it
Leather: Lower absorb but also Lower spellcasting disruption
Mail: Moderate absorb but reduces Daggers and Bows, has no penalty against the Cure spell
Plate: Very High Absorb but lowers ability with Bows and Daggers as well as making spellcasting impossible.
Special: Gear that doesn't fit a specific category (gloves, jewelry etc)

Items:

All items will be consumed upon use.

Potion/Hi Potion heals 5 and 10 HP respectively
Ether recovers 10 MP
Elixer Recovers all MP and HP
Antidote counters poison
Golden Needle counters petrify
Cross counters cursed
Eye Drop counters blindness

There are also going to be status effects:

Status Effects:

Poison , each day the player's health ticks down by 2 points (occurs at the beginning of the day, at the same time as the Day post by me.)

Petrify, The player becomes unable to vote or perform actions at night until cured, anyone that is petrified at the end of the game cannot win with their team.

Cursed The player deals half normal damage when attacking with weapons or spells

Blindness The player has a 25% miss chance on all weapon attacks

There will also be shops that will change every day, some days there may not be a shop open for various reasons.

Each player will start with 300 Gil and may purchase by sending me a PM during the DAY

Gil may be traded freely via PM with me, Gil will also be gained during Story encounters.

Story encounters will roughly follow the story of the main game.

Story encounters will now only give loot and money based on the outcome, I will try to maintain a way to make the encounters unpredictable in their results like last game.

Also, no game breaking rat tail/upgrading rules like last game, Story encounters are simply a way to gain items and Gil for your team.

There are 3 alignments in this game.

There are night 0 actions to resolve. so there is an official Night 0 in this game!

This is going to be more complex than FF1 in a lot of ways so if you have any questions at all please PM me.
  1. Absurd Revolver
  2. AnonymousNarcotics
  3. Bifauxnen
  4. CCKeane
  5. chaoslord
  6. IllegallySober
  7. Infinitum
  8. Kashuno
  9. King Burgundy
  10. Mithross
  11. Moatillata
  12. SLASHER HAWKE
  13. Somberbrero
  14. The Lord of Hats
  15. this is a stickup
  16. TMMadman
  17. Tobbs Gnawed

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
Looks complicated I'm in.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently I read over this setup and didn't call CPig a stupid idiot, so it's probably good or something?!

Good luck folks!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
hm, sure!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

In to defend my crown.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
yeah okay

tl;dr

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Make me scum with bif and king b again

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I want to go LARPing. Use my dodgeball skills for evil.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i am in

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yayayayayyayayayayayyayayayayayyayayayayayayayaya

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

HO HO HO

I WAS WONDERING WHEN YOU WOULD APPEAR

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

HO HO HO

I WAS WONDERING WHEN YOU WOULD APPEAR

I like silly slingshot even if he hates me

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I like silly slingshot even if he hates me

Is this some kind of ethnic pejorative

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Moatillata posted:

Is this some kind of ethnic pejorative

I don't understand the question

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'm in.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Also, if I can pre-sign for all of the rest of these, please do. I thought there was a list at the end of the last thread :)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I will play this game. After over a year break, I should be just terrible!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mithross posted:

I will play this game. After over a year break, I should be just terrible!

YES

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also I am planning on playing a chill game

So if later, regardless of my alignment, you come at me and go "Infinitum isn't playing his usual style" meta vote dumbarse bullshit

I will refer you to this post

And call you an idiot for ruining Chillfinitum's chill.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Infinitum posted:

Also I am planning on playing a chill game

So if later, regardless of my alignment, you come at me and go "Infinitum isn't playing his usual style" meta vote dumbarse bullshit

And call you an idiot for ruining Chillfinitum's chill.

I am signing up for too many games.

So if later, regardless of my alignment, you come at me and go "Tobbs isn't posting 1000x useless idiotic things every day" meta vote dumbass bullshit

And call you an idiot for worsening Tobbs' excessive signup dysphoria

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
sounds ridiculous and totally my poo poo so if there is a spot left I'm in

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm just going to call you an idiot all game long anyway tobbs :v:

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Sigh. Already in a game, but can't miss this.

Will read main post later tonight, but count me in for whatever this is.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

IllegallySober posted:

Also, if I can pre-sign for all of the rest of these, please do. I thought there was a list at the end of the last thread :)

Yeah you prompted me to go send pms to everyone that presigned after the last game.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

King Burgundy posted:

Sigh. Already in a game, but can't miss this.

Will read main post later tonight, but count me in for whatever this is.

Hi five! Very nice!

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Okay okay I'll do it! I'm already in 2 games and wouldn't typically sign up for a 3rd but this is a special circumstance

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Oooh yes I want in!

I know hardly anything about this Final Fantasy so this'll be cool

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Oooh yes I want in!

Yesss

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

Oooh yes I want in!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this looks silly

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Don't expect my normal level of posting in this game. I hit 700 posts in my last game and I have stuff to do. :)

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

King Burgundy posted:

Don't expect my normal level of posting in this game. I hit 700 posts in my last game and I have stuff to do. :)

:drat:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
as long as you're not gunning for me I'm okay with it

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

King Burgundy posted:

Papa burgundy no

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really like playing 2 games at once anymore, but ok.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Moatillata posted:

Papa burgundy no

I'm sure at some point someone will be wrong on the internet and I won't be able to help myself, but hopefully not till deeper in the game. :)

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
guys, I'm a lynchproof magic immune death miller dual wielding bows that shoot flaming swords

better not get me Angry As Heck or else

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

this is a stickup posted:

guys, I'm a lynchproof magic immune death miller dual wielding bows that shoot flaming swords

better not get me Angry As Heck or else

POZ MY NEG hOLE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

• Locked thread