Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's that time of the year again and I'm once again doing this because no one else seems to be doing it. Here is the mostly copy pasted from last year OP

It's that time of the year again and I'm once again doing this because no one else seems to be doing it. Here is the mostly copy pasted from last year OP (minus an error that was present from the last time I copy-pasted it). Also like last year, I will be participating so if you get matched to me, it will not be so secret. I'll still make it random and all that but just know that going in. Alternatively, if any one reading this wants to take over running this, I'll hand over the keys to the e-mail account.

Anyways, all I need from you is to send a little info to:
cinedss2016@gmail.com

What I need you to send is
1) Your SA username
2) A link to your profile
3) Your actual name
4) Your address (or at least where you want your Santa to send your gift)
5) Whether you want 1 or 2 Santees (2 Santees also means you get 2 Santas)
6) Whether you're willing to ship internationally (not shipping internationally is only an option for people from the US. If you are not from the US and really prefer to ship within your country, I'll see what I can do but I can't guarantee anything. Expect to ship internationally)
7) Your Age/Sex
8) Whether you own a Bluray player
9) Anything you want your Santa to know about yourself, what you want and what you don't want. You should also post this in this thread but here you can also put stuff you don't want public (like Amazon wish lists).

A few other things:
-No one is expecting you to buy the that that $800 Middle Earth Bluray set but be expected minimum price for your gift is $20. You can go way over that if you want but please don't be cheaper than that.
-Once you get your Santa/Santee and want to message them, PM me or send something to the e-mail and I'll relay it for you.
-Please be an actual CineD poster. You don't have to be one of the regulars or someone that posts alot but still be someone that's had some sort of presence.
-If you think you're going to have any trouble getting your gift there on time, let me know and I'll let your Santee know. Don't make your Santee worry they got stiffed.
-If you haven't received your gift by January 1st and have heard nothing, let me know and I'll look into it.
-Don't be an rear end. If you sign up please actually send someone something cool.

The Deadline for signups is December 3rd. More realistically the cutoff will be whenever after December 3rd I start making the list, but I'll let the thread know when that happens.

I think that's everything. If I forgot anything, let me know and I'll put it in the OP.

So after you've sent your e-mail, post in the thread. Let your Santa know you're here and what you want. Also just in general discuss things about your interests or try to inquire into the interests of others. Once you get your loot please post it in the thread so we can all see how awesome your Santa was. So good luck, have fun and merry whatever you celebrate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cool I signed up!

I'm open to watching almost any movie with a soft spot for horror, scifi, comicbook/superhero movies. Not a huge fan of comedies tbh. Into books about movies as well, and I don't own very many.

OP has my wishlist which is mainly blu rays from amazon, but don't feel compelled to get something off that list.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
This is my first year doing this but I've finally got a decent job now and feel like I can get someone something cool.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Signed up!

Anything movie-related I will love. I'm partial to horror. Books about movies, collectibles, posters, whatever. I've also been on a Godzilla kick lately, so anything in that realm will be a winner.

glam rock hamhock posted:

Question for thread: What are some of your favorite genres, some of your least favorite genres and what are some genres that you've always wanted to get into but have never been able to?

Like I said I'm partial to horror. But I like everything, generally speaking. If I had to pick a least favorite type of movie it'd be modern mainstream comedies. So no Paul Blart for me, thanks.

Genres I'd like to explore more:
Pre-code 1930s stuff
Golden age westerns
1940s noir
Non-Kurosawa Samurai films
Non-Leone Italian westerns

Some film makers I want to explore more:
Ford (only seen: Stagecoach, Grapes of Wrath, The Searchers, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance)
Tarkovsky (seen: Stalker, Solaris, Andrei Roublev)
Dassin (seen: Brute Force, Rififi)
Ozu (seen: Tokyo Story, Late Spring)
Mizoguchi (seen: Ugetsu, Sansho the Bailiff)
Buñuel (seen: Exterminating Angel, Un Chien Andalou, Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Viridiana, Belle de Jour)

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 21, 2016

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

I don't post as much as I used to but the Secret Santa is always fun so I signed up again.

I dig most all kinds of movies and music, but I have a soft spot for 80s stuff: action, sci-fi, horror, and synthpop. I'm still into physical media: blurays, CDs, vinyl, books, etc. I haven't gone digital yet except for some music on bandcamp. I like board games (esp. stuff that requires only 2 or 3 players), movie posters, film scores, mixtapes, vhs tapes, etc.

To all, who are some of your favorite directors? Whose stuff would you like to see more of?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Doing this. New job means I can burn a little money on a special someone here. :)

I'd like to try stuff outside my safe zone. I'm always behind on world film, but I like stuff that's weird and unconventional. I put my Blu-Ray.com list in the email if that helps any.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Doing this. New job means I can burn a little money on a special someone here. :)

I'd like to try stuff outside my safe zone. I'm always behind on world film, but I like stuff that's weird and unconventional. I put my Blu-Ray.com list in the email if that helps any.

I didn't realize Blu-Ray.com had a list making feature. Is there any way to copy over an amazon wishlist and criterion wishlist to it or will I have to manually make a new list?

Also, OP i forgot to include my criterion wishlist in my email I can send you it if ya want me to.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I didn't realize Blu-Ray.com had a list making feature. Is there any way to copy over an amazon wishlist and criterion wishlist to it or will I have to manually make a new list?

Also, OP i forgot to include my criterion wishlist in my email I can send you it if ya want me to.

It lets you put in your collection and wishlist. Not just Blu-Ray - you can put DVDs on there, but their DVD database is quite incomplete.

You can't import, but adding stuff is easy. If you have the iPhone app, you just scan the bar code.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'm in baby.

edit:

I'm a big dweeb, my interests are pretty varied, and I'm really not all that picky- it's nice to be surprised! To give some guidance, though, I'll tell you a bit about myself. As far as cinema goes, I'm a big fan of post-war Japanese cinema, the Czech New Wave, eclectic animation of all sorts, spaghetti westerns, and horror/sci-fi. A lack of space and viewing accommodations means that I don't really collect DVDs any longer. I'll find a way to watch something if I get it, though.

Some authors I really like include Vladimir Nabokov, Yukio Mishima, Flannery O'Connor and Ralph Ellison. Books on subjects I don't know anything about would be cool, though! I'm really not well-versed in visual art, fashion, architecture, etc, and I'd like to change that. Film criticism would be nice as well, though I recently sort of mired myself in lots of dense postmodern hand-wringing and got a little burnt out on it.

I'm a tea drinker, and I love sweets.

If you're a non-US goon, or even just from another region, locally-sourced items are always a nice surprise! If you have a hobby that involves making stuff, I would love to see what you create!

I play video games, mostly on PC, but my friend recently gave me his old 3DS and I don't have any games for it! Even if you just have games lying around that you've already beaten, send 'em my way!

Really, though, some of the best kinds of gifts are the things that you could never expect, things you didn't know you wanted until you got them. Trinkets and curiosities I didn't know existed until someone else shows them to me. The things I might see in a shop and cherish but not be able to justify buying myself, strange and delightful things.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 24, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sign me up. Sending e-mail now. Will probably add info to this post in a bit.

info:
Film & TV
Horror is my favorite genre. I don't care if it's gonzo splatter or artsy atmospheric allegory I love it. I also greatly enjoy all iterations of film noir whether it's the classic canon or neon drenched neo-noir or even sweaty southern noir. Westerns are also my bag be it Spaghetti, classic or modern.

Favorite films from the top of my head in no specific order:
The Evil Dead, Carnival of Souls, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, Only God Forgives, Drive, The VVitch, Possession, The Haunting, Alien, Embrace of the Serpent, Dead Man, The Proposition, Slow West, Mad Max, The Road Warrior, Blue Ruin, Bronson, El Topo, Suspiria, Blood and Black Lace, Black Sunday, The Devils, Onibaba, Ashes and Diamonds, Touch of Evil, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Battle of Algiers, It Follows, Repo Man, M, Fargo, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, A Colt is My Passport, Branded to Kill, The Wild Bunch, Near Dark, Miller's Crossing, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters and The Good, The Bad and the Ugly.

To name a few.

Favorite TV shows
Darkplace, X-Files. Gravity Falls, The Wire, Rome, Rick and Morty, Tales from the Crypt, True Detective (s1), Fargo, Breaking Bad, and The Twilight Zone.

Books

As for fiction I am mostly into horror and hardboiled detective fiction but I'll also engage in some more literary stuff from time to time. Aside from GURM, China Mieville and Pratchett I am not at all into fantasy.

As for non-fiction I am very much interested in good history books. These days I've been reading a lot on folk lore regarding magic and monsters. So anything in that vein would be greatly appreciated. I am also very much interested in books about Weimar Germany, heresy, labour history and the 30 Years War (and early modern era in general). Well written and interesting true crime is also welcome.

Hibernator posted:

To all, who are some of your favorite directors? Whose stuff would you like to see more of?

I haven't seen nearly enough Kurosawa outside his most famous films. I've only seen Snowpiercer and The Host from Joon-Ho Bong but I really want to see his other films. Same for Andrzej Wadja. John Ford is a huge blindspot for the most part.

I'm in Reykjavik.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 21, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Send it if you want. Gmail usually groups that stuff together anyways so it won't be hard to organize it when it's time to send stuff.

I know as OP I shouldn't be lazy about posting about myself but for now I'm gonna be lazy and post stuff later.

Question for thread: What are some of your favorite genres, some of your least favorite genres and what are some genres that you've always wanted to get into but have never been able to?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Faves: Horror, occult avant-garde, trash

Least fav: ...Idk

Genres always wanted to get into: I haven't dug into classic Japanese cinema, the American Western or documentary films.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 22, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fav Genres: Horror, Scifi (as if my posts didn't make it clear haha), Found Footage (although I don't own any), and Westerns

Least Fav: Straight Comedies, I like dark comedies and off beat comedies (I'd put Swiss Army Man, Lobster in these categories) but most "normal" comedies lose me quickly.

Genres Interested In: French films, films earlier than the 1960s especially Silent Era films, and east Asia films (outside of martial arts films).

Hibernator posted:

I'd like to see more films by non-Kurosawa Japanese directors. I have only seen Tokyo Drifter by Seijun Suzuki and loved it. Some more Suzuki would be cool.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Really, though, some of the best kinds of gifts are the things that you could never expect, things you didn't know you wanted until you got them. Trinkets and curiosities I didn't know existed until someone else shows them to me. The things I might see in a shop and cherish but not be able to justify buying myself, strange and delightful things.

I also like this.

Send it if you want. Gmail usually groups that stuff together anyways so it won't be hard to organize it when it's time to send stuff.

I know as OP I shouldn't be lazy about posting about myself but for now I'm gonna be lazy and post stuff later.

Sent ya my criterion list.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm going to sign up when I'm not phone posting. Thanks for organising!

I do not care for horror, otherwise open. I'm missing a huge number of classic films. I enjoy most good stuff.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Favorites would be Horror, Sci-Fi, and Action. I don't think there's a specific genre that I dislike, but I tend to have difficulty getting into slower-paced stuff. There's plenty of long, drawn-out films that I love, but I'm totally the kind of guy that gets excited when he sees a movie is only 87 minutes long.

Stuff I haven't really dove into: primarily older stuff. Classic American Westerns (I think I've really only seen Rio Bravo and The Ox-Bow Incident). I've seen a few more Silent films but still only a handful (Nosferatu, The General, Steamboat Bill Jr., Metropolis, Birth of a Nation, and recent stuff like The Artist and Blancanieves).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm in. Alien Predator stuff is always welcome. I kinda own most of the figures so I dunno. I'm always game for more random Aliens though. But you don't have to get me that. Honestly just something cool that is better than something I'd chuck into a drawer forever. Something I could kind of use, like a neat book, or a movie. Maybe kitchen utensils.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Signed up! I forgot to mention that I'm interested in getting into some more classic horror.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I'm posting in this thread to indicate my interest but I've got poo poo going on today that needs to be done so I'll edit this later with more proper info and also submit stuff to the email for real I promise.

e: mostly I'm asking for music, books on meditation or cook books. I am not an interesting person.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 4, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
There is a chance I will be too busy tonight to get this all done with but I'll definitely have matches by Sunday afternoon

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm in this year! Waited until the last minute to submit, of course.

Hostile V posted:

I'm posting in this thread to indicate my interest but I've got poo poo going on today that needs to be done so I'll edit this later with more proper info and also submit stuff to the email for real I promise.

e: mostly I'm asking for music or cook books. I am not an interesting person.

Oh man, I didn't even think of mentioning I love cooking. Yeah, whoever gets me if you can't think of anything I also love cooking and any kind of asian cookbook (I love thai food specifically) would be awesome.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Writing up my email right now, hope I'm not too late!

e: crossposting from my email:
I like movies, games (both video and board, though I don't have a current gen console), I'm learning to cook, and I like to read (novels and history mainly). In terms of movies, I'm a big fan of action, sci-fi, and have been getting more into horror and kung fu lately. Favorite directors include Kubrick, Lynch, Leone, Coen bros, Verhoeven, and Fincher. Genres/directors I'd like to get more into include westerns, noir, Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, and Ford.

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 4, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Goons can't get late.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Your Santees have all been sent out to the e-mails you mailed Santa with in the first place so get to it!

and obviously signups are now closed.

Once again, if you have any questions you want to anonymously give to your Santa or Santee, just send an e-mail to the Secret Santa address or PM me and I will pass along the message.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Oh man, I won Secret Santa.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ho ho ho, now I have a Santee

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My Santa email was great. Put a good goofy grin on my face this morning.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
*extremely hacker voice* I'm in.

I encourage my Santa to stalk me on here and Twitter and to find something I probably don't even know exists but lines up with my interests. Alternately, I don't yet have the recent reprints of the Link to the Past and Mario comics that originally showed up in Nintendo Power.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lousy cutbacks stiffing me from my well-earned ho ho hos. I was only allowed two hos because of budget concerns. That means my Santee is getting 2/3rds of a present.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Before I forget like an idiot, I've already sent out part of my present! Now I just need to send off the second part of the gift.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

[me as secret satan] congratulations, my gift to u is my wonderful posts. enjoy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Can I send things directly from Amazon to save time?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's what I tend to do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My gift(s) might come in multiple packages

e: wishlist in my inbox my bad

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 6, 2016

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hostile V posted:

Lousy cutbacks stiffing me from my well-earned ho ho hos. I was only allowed two hos because of budget concerns. That means my Santee is getting 2/3rds of a present.

THANKS OBAMA

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have sent out my gift. I hope to gently caress that they don't own this. But I put a message saying if they do, send it back, contact me, and I'll getcha somethin else. No big deal!

Should be there by the 12th.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also dang, I forgot to say it was from me. So I guess I'll just tell you when the person gets it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Amazon tells me my santee should have gotten their package, so hopefully it didn't get stolen!

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Still waiting on my santee to post what he wants and if he doesn't do it soon I'm gonna printout Dickeye's entire post history and send it to him

edit: loose leaf, I'm not even gonna 3 hole punch it

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 7, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

My gift arrived! Thank you to my secret Santa. It's perfect!

My wife threw the packaging out before I got home, so if there was something that identified who my Santa is, I apologize. So... who was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I never actually posted the post I was supposed to make in this thread so here in case anyone is wondering

Movie wise I like horror and animation the most. With horror I prefer actually creepy and disturbing over gory and silly. I'm also a pretty big fan of found footage. With animation, the more obscure without being anime, the better (though I do dabble in the occasional anime). I've also been watching a ton of kung fu movies and really I don't think I can ever get enough of that. I prefer the older and silly shaw type to the more serious and slick modern type, though I don't object to the latter if it's good. Really though, I'm open to pretty much everything. To give a more general idea a sampling of some of my favorite directors includes Tarantino, Kurosawa, Miyazaki, Wright, Wingard, Allen, Bergman and Hertzfeldt. Generally I think I just like messed up movies or at least something that will give me something unique if that helps guide you in any way.

I also play video games a ton but I do have all the video games I need at the moment...well that's not true but the chances of getting me something I want that I don't already have are pretty low right now. Really for games I like to get merch. It's the type of thing I rarely buy for myself but is always great to get from someone else. Gamewise I tend to like the classics with arty poo poo thrown in there and I've been playing way too much Overwatch.

Still though, I'm up for whatever. If something catches your eye and it doesn't line up with what I've said but you think it's really neat, go for it.

• Locked thread