Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

mango sentinel posted:

If they release a free changelog PDF and the annual update actual has new content/scenarios, then I'm 100% on board, especially at $25.

I'm also bemused at people upset over the idea of an extra $25 rulebook every year when this is a game that people spend hundreds and hundreds on.

Well, since the players buy identical models again and again, why not identical books too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

If they release a free changelog PDF and the annual update actual has new content/scenarios, then I'm 100% on board, especially at $25.

I'm also bemused at people upset over the idea of an extra $25 rulebook every year when this is a game that people spend hundreds and hundreds on.

You're right actually I shouldn't be surprised at the cost of things at this point

"GW products are overpriced!" is kind of 'the sky is blue' comment

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Fuegan posted:

You should probably continue to do this. They're garbage.

I've had fun with the following list at 1000 points:

Bloodsecrator
Skullgrinder
Slaughterpriest
20 Bloodreavers
5 Blood Warriors
10 Bloodletters
Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster

The army as a whole is definitely all about the synergy. I'm looking to add a Chaos Warshrine in the near future to run near the Bloodreavers. This way I can give them Meatripper Axes for the -1 Rend because they don't need the reroll 1's to hit from the Reaver Blades. Plus it's a Totem so they get the bonus attacks from this if the Bloodsecrator is elsewhere.

Whats trash about Khorgorath? They seem pretty good for the points to me.

80pts each get you

6" mov, 8 wnd, 4+ sv, 6 brv
Range: 3 - 6" 3+ TH, 4+ TW 1 DMG
Melee: 5 - 1" 3+ TH, 3+ TW -1 RND, 1 DMG
Horrific Predator
If this unit inflicts damage on one or more enemy units in the combat phase, then you must subtract 1 from the Bravery of all enemy units within 12" of this unit in the battleshock phase of the same turn.
Taker of Heads
If the attacks made by this unit in the combat phase result in one or more enemy models being slain, then you can heal 1 wound suffered by a model from this unit.

They fill an "Other" roll, and you can have 1 - 6 of them in a unit, but its best to run them separate so that you can take use of Taker of heads on each of them. they maul the hell out of infantry unless Im missing something.

Fuegan posted:

Bloodsecrator
Skullgrinder
Slaughterpriest
20 Bloodreavers
5 Blood Warriors
10 Bloodletters

The army as a whole is definitely all about the synergy. I'm looking to add a Chaos Warshrine in the near future to run near the Bloodreavers. This way I can give them Meatripper Axes for the -1 Rend because they don't need the reroll 1's to hit from the Reaver Blades. Plus it's a Totem so they get the bonus attacks from this if the Bloodsecrator is elsewhere.

I too had my eye on the Warshrine however I heard from my rep last week that it didn't sell very well and its not in stock anywhere, he wasn't sure if it was to give it a repack or remove it from the line. I dont own any Daemons yet, just working with KBB.

As for army building, one of the local guys here has been pulling the git repos for Battlescribe and updating them, he has added all the stats for KBB, and started on Stormcast. after you pick the Grand alliance on the left add the Alliegance, and set it to the proper sub army, its a filter.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 24, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing to build towards, if you don't mind losing the Bloodbound allegiance and going Chaos allegiance. Is that Slaves to Darkness models, the old chaos warriors, can choose to devote themselves to Khorne at the start of the game and get affected by all of the bonuses the Bloodbound models spit out.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing to build towards, if you don't mind losing the Bloodbound allegiance and going Chaos allegiance. Is that Slaves to Darkness models, the old chaos warriors, can choose to devote themselves to Khorne at the start of the game and get affected by all of the bonuses the Bloodbound models spit out.

Yeah I was leaning towards this, there are no alliegance bonuses for KBB anyway.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
can I build a Sigmarine 'army' of purely shooting dudes?

I ask because I would like to just proxy my space marine models

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

LumberingTroll posted:

Whats trash about Khorgorath? They seem pretty good for the points to me.

I too had my eye on the Warshrine however I heard from my rep last week that it didn't sell very well and its not in stock anywhere, he wasn't sure if it was to give it a repack or remove it from the line. I dont own any Daemons yet, just working with KBB.

They seem ok against tarpits or things they're guaranteed to get a kill against I guess. I've just not had much use out of them but if you've had better luck then awesome.

Yeah I just noticed it seems to be temporarily out of stock in most places. Hopefully it makes a comeback cause it's really useful.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Moola posted:

can I build a Sigmarine 'army' of purely shooting dudes?

I ask because I would like to just proxy my space marine models

I think Stormcasts are closer to terminator size and less squat to boot, might be a hard sell.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
base size doesnt matter so I dont care

I aint buying Sigmarines lol

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Warshrine is still available fyi, it got a repack not too long ago. For some reason it just never seems to be in stock, we've been waiting for a restock one in our store for a while now.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fuegan posted:

Bloodsecrator
Skullgrinder
Slaughterpriest
20 Bloodreavers
5 Blood Warriors
10 Bloodletters

please don't troll

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

please don't troll

Ha, unfortunately I think they used the same guy who named Murderfang armed with murderclaws.

Managed to find a Warshrine at my local GW so been putting that together tonight. Wondering if I could have it carried by Juggernaughts to keep up the Khorne aesthetic.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fuegan posted:

Ha, unfortunately I think they used the same guy who named Murderfang armed with murderclaws.

Managed to find a Warshrine at my local GW so been putting that together tonight. Wondering if I could have it carried by Juggernaughts to keep up the Khorne aesthetic.

Couldn't see why not, just scrape the thumb off the horn on the front and the symbols off the braisers if you can be bothered. Would give you the two mutants free to use as Spawn or w/e.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fuegan posted:

Doing any conversions on it? I have a warshrine for khorne waiting to be put together. The jugg idea is pretty cool.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Not too much really. I didn't realise the brazier had different chaos logos on them so I might look to cast the khorne one and replace the others with it. I'm trying to figure out a suitably khorne-esque way of attaching the warshrine to the juggernauts. Will likely use some chain embedded in their armour to lash it to them.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
So I am a terrible person who wants to start Stormcast. Any suggestions for doing this as cheap as possible?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Buy your models from companies that are not GW

Kings of War, Frostgrave, Zombicide Black Plague all have fantastic miniatures you could use instead

Also theres Reaper Miniatures if you want to go SUPER cheap

You could also consider playing Kings of War with Kings of War models instead

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hiro Protagonist posted:

So I am a terrible person who wants to start Stormcast. Any suggestions for doing this as cheap as possible?
The starter set lets you get them for cheap and there are people breaking up the starter set on Ebay and selling em for way less than what you'd pay for buying the regular boxes. You could probably buy the starter set and sell the Khorne stuff on Ebay, split the box with someone, or see if your local game store would facilitate a trade. I know a few stores have done that when other starter sets came out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moola posted:

Buy your models from companies that are not GW

Kings of War, Frostgrave, Zombicide Black Plague all have fantastic miniatures you could use instead

Also theres Reaper Miniatures if you want to go SUPER cheap

You could also consider playing Kings of War with Kings of War models instead

Do any of those do Stormcast?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Starter set's a good shout. The Khorne stuff's fairly popular so it'll shift easily if you split it.

The Battleforce box that releases this weekend is a pretty good deal as well, being a decently strong 1000pts Stormcast army at a significant discount over buying it seperately. Though at £100 it'll be definately more than splitting a Starter.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

If you have a decent backlog of bits (even 40k bits) you can make your characters out of regular dudes like a lot of people do with ogres I guess. If you were dedicated and had the components you could probably even convert whole elite units from the starter set lads.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

Mantic did Stormcast before GW did

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea.html

otherwise you just need big bulky dumb looking knights right?

Moola fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 28, 2016

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The new Battleforce is only $170 and is something like 1080 points.

Stormcast Eternals Sigmar’s Vengence
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth – $65
Celestant-Prime – $80
2x Liberators – $50 ($100)
Paladin Decimators – $58
Knight-Azyros – $40
Total: $343

Ironjawz Thunderfist
Aleguzzler Gargant – $53.75
Gore-gruntas – $79
Megaboss – $40
Weirdnob Shaman – $33
2x Brutes – $50
Total: $305.75

Sylvaneth Darkroot Wargrove
Drycha Hamadreth – $60
Spite-Revenants – $37
Tree-Revenants – $37
2x Kurnoth Hunters – $58
Sylvaneth Treelord Ancient – $61
Total: $311

Khorne Bloodbound Slaughterstorm
Mighty Skullcrushers – $100 ($50)
Wrathmongers – $57
Skarr Bloodwrath – $30
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer – $30
Bloodreavers – $58
Blood Warriors – $62
Total: $287

Edit: better picture and pricing breakdown.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 28, 2016

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't believe they're charging 170 USD for that when it's only 100 GBP

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what a steal!!!

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Updated the post with pricing and points breakdown. 40 - 50% off pricing seems pretty good to me I guess.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 28, 2016

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yeah, the holiday bundles are a decent chunk off the rrp.

Moreso if you can buy them through a retailer that does N% off GW stuff as standard.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Nobody outside GW does "Stormcast" or else they'd get sued.

But you'll find a great many things like "Lightning Knights" or "Angelic Warriors" who will fit the bill pretty well.

I actually like the GW sculpts, so if I was trying to put together an army on the cheap I'd just go the route of calling mom and pop shops for 20-30% discounts or using ebay hockers.

That said, I don't like sigmarines myself :colbert:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Still not 100% on the Eternals myself, they're growing on me but they need to work at giving the different chapters chambers more distinct personalities.

I've also put together a bazillion of those little snapfit ones we use for painting lessons at work so maybe its just the Stockholme Syndrome creeping in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It took going to Warhammer World to really have the Stormcast guys grow on me at all. Still not really a fan of them though, I'm happy playing my broke-rear end Empire farmers instead. Here's a few Empire units I've finished recently since there aren't enough pictures in this thread:

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Chamber X is Noble and Pure

Chamber Y is Pure and Noble

See how different they are!

Also Chamber Z is essentially the Grey Knights so they're better than the rest

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Have they provided an in-universe explanation for there being different Chambers?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

Mantic did Stormcast before GW did

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/kings-of-war/basilea.html

otherwise you just need big bulky dumb looking knights right?

These look sweet. Showed it to my AOS friend and he likes them. He actually hates the way GW did the angelic guys and says they're a pain to paint.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

These look sweet. Showed it to my AOS friend and he likes them. He actually hates the way GW did the angelic guys and says they're a pain to paint.

yeah they look like a nightmare to paint

They also just like garbage in general

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
The issue I have with Sigmarines is that they're intentionally soulless. They're suits of armor with something in them, be it a spirit or a body or whatever I think that's supposed to still be a mystery, but they lose their humanity a little more with each death. And this shows through in the sculpts. There's not really any individual style or characterization. Those death masks are awful. I would just get really bored painting them I think.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think that's also why he's so keen on getting different sculpts. It doesn't make sense on having more than a couple unless you're trying to make a Dark Souls type of army. Which also doesn't really work for the same reason. But they're great as 1-2 ofs. Just not the winged ones. Those are awful. A shame, since the wings look amazing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh man an army of hollow dark souls knights would have been rad

Shame GW went with ugly world of warcraft paladins instead

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atlas Hugged posted:

The issue I have with Sigmarines is that they're intentionally soulless. They're suits of armor with something in them, be it a spirit or a body or whatever I think that's supposed to still be a mystery, but they lose their humanity a little more with each death. And this shows through in the sculpts. There's not really any individual style or characterization. Those death masks are awful. I would just get really bored painting them I think.

In the latest Whit Dwarf they confirm that Stormcast have flesh and blood bodies under the armor

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I saw a clever army paint scheme that made me kind of want to do a Stormcast army. This guy had taken some space marines, given them all skulls for heads, and painted them like Spirit Hosts

I want to completely steal that idea but for Stormcasts. Stormcast Eternals, with skull heads, painted like ghosts. They'd be like big scooby-doo ghost knights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the latest Whit Dwarf they confirm that Stormcast have flesh and blood bodies under the armor

Well then they should do sculpts with open masks, exposes flesh, a hand without a gauntlet, etc.

• Locked thread