Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

No one beats Kansas 24 times in a row

my man

Thoguh posted:

This discussion is less about Iowa State winning a football game by 56 points than I would like.

Hey i posted your rad rear end one-handed TD catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa won an extremely boring game against a bad team easily which is not a thing they have always done this year so yay us. I'm not super optimistic about it but if we can beat Nebraska next week that'd be a pretty good season all things considered.

The most notable thing about this game is that Iowa hosed up the opening coin toss and wound up kicking off to start both halves, which, when combined with the shutout means that Illinois played a game where they did not kickoff a single time. I'm sure that happened at some point before but it couldn't have been very recently.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Thoguh posted:

This discussion is less about Iowa State winning a football game by 56 points than I would like.

You beat a div 2 team congrats

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
How did they gently caress up the coin toss to defer twice? How does that happen?

Also lol discounting texad tech defense. Iowa state played good football

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
While we got blasted by oklahoma in our own stadium in prime time, at least we didn't lose to kansas this season or something. I dunno gently caress it whatever.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
VT came back from 17 down on the road against ND and ended ND's chance at a bowl so that's cool.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Also you fire Charlie Strong for running a back 51 times in a game, that's just negligence. That's seriously just rear end in a top hat coaching right there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jastiger posted:

How did they gently caress up the coin toss to defer twice? How does that happen?

Also lol discounting texad tech defense. Iowa state played good football

Texas Tech don't have a D. That is kind of their thing.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Francois goes from looking like fast Drew Brees on one drive to pensive Charlie Batch on others and I really want the Brees parts to be constantly on

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Crotch Bat posted:

Also you fire Charlie Strong for running a back 51 times in a game, that's just negligence. That's seriously just rear end in a top hat coaching right there.

I looked this up because I thought you were exaggerating. 51 carries is basically trying to kill your RB's knees.

I watched the second half of the VA Tech game and don't regret it. Good comeback.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

LLCoolJD posted:

I looked this up because I thought you were exaggerating. 51 carries is basically trying to kill your RB's knees.

I watched the second half of the VA Tech game and don't regret it. Good comeback.

You picked the good half. Quite literally a game of two halves almost down to yardage and scoring. ND couldn't make adjustments because why would you they had 24 points and 300 yards, Foster made all the adjustments and that was it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Crotch Bat posted:

The Richt Gurley Postulate!

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
PSU won 39-0. If they played anything resembling good it would have been double that. Rutgers is the most pathetic dog poo poo program I have ever seen in my life

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jastiger posted:

If you win the coin toss you choose whether to kick/receive/ or which side you want to defend. That or you defer your choice to the second half and the other team gets those choices.

Instead of deferring I'm guessing they chose to kick after winning the toss.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So you can defer twice?!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jastiger posted:

So you can defer twice?!

No they chose once to kick. The other team chose to receive in the second half when it was their turn.

It probably works that way as a holdover from ancient times (like early 1900s) when teams might have legitimately wanted to kick off both halves.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No, you can choose to kick which then lets the other team choose to kick or receive.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i blame madden

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Something like that happened in the Texas/UCLA game a couple years ago, except it was one of Texas' team captains being dumb that caused it.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

One QB threw three INTs on 26 attempts, the other fumbled the ball, and the other good running back got hurt at the beginning of the year. Foreman has the yards he does because its really the only reliable tool they have on offense this year. Bad team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jastiger posted:

Illinois won and deferred and instead of choosing to receive the Iowa captain hosed up and asked to play with the wind, which let Illinois receive the opening kickoff in both halves.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Illinois won and deferred and instead of choosing to receive the Iowa captain hosed up and asked to play with the wind, which let Illinois receive the opening kickoff in both halves.

Haha, that's even better than what I was guessing it was.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I started browsing around with this all this discussion of program futility and came across an interesting stat.

Kentucky is 17-50 all-time vs Florida.

But UF has won 30 in a row--so the series at the beginning of the streak was a very competitive 17-20. :laffo:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

Freshman year I was a captain and did that. Coach told us like a dozen times before we went out that we wanted to kick to start the game. So when we won the toss I said 'kick'. I didn't even know why he was mad at halftime since I did what he told me to do.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I hope everyone enjoyed GameDay from Kzoo this morning. It was cool as loving hell to see them set up and all those fans in areas I have fond memories of traipsing through. This must be how P5 alumni at schools not named Cal, Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Minnesota, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wake Forest, or Wazzu feel

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

Not so fast, my friend. Auburn and Florida each still have their shot at them. No, I don't like their odds.
Word of the moment is Pettway might play but White is likely out.

If Jeremy Johnson somehow beats you, they're making a sequel to Rudy about him.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Roasted Donut posted:

PSU won 39-0. If they played anything resembling good it would have been double that. Rutgers is the most pathetic dog poo poo program I have ever seen in my life

Have you heard of the University of Texas?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Freshman year I was a captain and did that. Coach told us like a dozen times before we went out that we wanted to kick to start the game. So when we won the toss I said 'kick'. I didn't even know why he was mad at halftime since I did what he told me to do.

There was like a 40 mph wind so I'm sure making sure they Iowa got to play with it got hammered into their heads and they just didn't think it through. Holding a team to 0 kickoffs is such a randomly funny stat that now I'm glad it happened

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I hope Charlie Strong gets another job where the school give them his full support and time to clean up all the horse poo poo the previous person left.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Trast posted:

I hope Charlie Strong gets another job where the school give them his full support and time to clean up all the horse poo poo the previous person left.

This happened at Texas and he uh, wasn't very good at winning games.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Trast posted:

I get why people wanna say this but uh dude just lost to Kansas in year 3. How much longer does he need?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I get why people wanna say this but uh dude just lost to Kansas in year 3. How much longer does he need?

Yeah, I know all situations are different and he balled out at Louisville...but man, he really did poorly with about as many resources as you can possibly have at your disposal.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Word of the moment is Pettway might play but White is likely out.

If Jeremy Johnson somehow beats you, they're making a sequel to Rudy about him.

we're still going to the sec championship and probably the playoffs when we went it

you can't hurt me any more

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm gonna be mildly annoyed Boise State sneaks into yet another top tier bowl despite not even being in their conference championship game this year. I didn't think Wyoming would beat SDSU, but now that they have, they're one win against New Mexico away from banishing Boise into some lame bowl, unless WMU fucks up, then I have no idea what happens.

Don't gently caress up, WMU.

edit:
it is entirely possible that the Group of 5 conference winners this year are an 8-4 Arkansas State that didn't win a single OOC game, a 10-3 Wyoming team, an 11-2 Toledo team (or god forbid, Ohio), 10-3 Temple, and whatever boring team comes out of the Conference USA. Boise State should thank their lucky loving stars if that happens.

I'm glad gently caress SDSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you can't turn it around at loving Texas of all places in 3 years, especially with the Big XII being as bad as it is this year, you hosed something up. They just lost to arguably the worst program in the country and are in genuine danger of missing a bowl. They're getting worse. I'm sure Charlie is a nice guy or whatever but the insistence some people have that nothing is his fault is so weird

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Sab0921 posted:

Have you heard of the University of Texas?

I have watched them numerous times and they would beat beat rutgers by 30 also

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm pissed the mighty wildcat hasn't had a chance to run rutgers yet, although i did go to a basketball game last year where northwestern just ran their sorry-rear end basketball team off the court

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sab0921 posted:

This happened at Texas and he uh, wasn't very good at winning games.

Charlie Strong deserves to be fired but I have trouble believing he had 100% support there. Just because Texas automatically has a bunch of bullshit attached to it as a program.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Please note I didn't say he was blameless in the current poo poo nature of the Texas Football program. I merely said I hope he lands on his feet and doesn't have to deal with all the bullshit he did with the Texas boosters being assholes from the word go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

Ohhhh so they were choosing second after a deferral that makes sense haha

• Locked thread