Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Reading A Farewell to Arms was like pulling teeth. Hemingway writes like a piece of wood. But I liked 1984; Orwell is the most readable of all modern-era writers, fictional or nonfictional, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Earwicker posted:

:ssh: 17 years olds drink a lot and have sex.

I don't know where you went to school, but I went to a private school that was half Mormon and half overachieving Asian-Americans. More than half the class just completely missed that Blanche's husband in Streetcar Named Desire was gay. But it was more fun in college. Huck and Jim? Gay. Ishmael and Queequeg? Obviously gay. Antonio from The Merchant of Venice? Possibly gay...

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Why is a book about not being shamed by society offensive? I mean, I get that some people find the book boring, but offensive is a new one to me.

Anyway, Favorite was To Kill A Mockingbird.
Least favorite was this weird story called "The Yellow Wallpaper". Maybe I'd appreciate it more now but high school me was not into this "feminism" bullshit.

Well, part of it was feminist, but most of it was "gently caress you, guy who thought laying in bed all day was a cure for depression."

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Namarrgon posted:

I liked the themes, I loved the setting. I hated the writing.

A website about science fiction said that it's all about the concepts and what the author does with them, rather than the quality of the writing. So you lose practically nothing by just reading the wikipedia articles instead.

• Locked thread