Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

TED BUNNDY posted:

My least favorite book was that godawful "The Old Man and the Sea." Yeah you gross old bastard it's wet out and your hands are mushy shut the hell up. The worst part was the teacher played an audio book of it while we would read it and the guy narrating had this deep, drawling voice that put me to sleep every single time. When the teacher pulled me aside about it I just said "hey I'm way ahead of the audio and if you turn that tape off I guarantee I'll stay awake, that is the entire issue here" so after that she just let me sleep. :3:

The word whore was on page 38 (or 35). That's what got my 9th grade class through it.

The worst, by far, was The Hound of the Baskervilles. It was a slog to get through and it most certainly did not help that it was the first assigned book we had that year. There was also a book called Run whose author I can't remember, which was set at a vacation home in New England. All of us sped through it because of its one drunken and near sex scene, but figuring out the meaning of Run was impossible and all us got terrible grades on the test. I figured out the author at one time, but have no idea who it is now. Run was set in the 1970s.

Summer of the Monkeys was assigned in middle school. It was terrible. So was Across Five Aprils, which was historical fiction and failed on both levels.

I actually loved A Separate Peace. I was also one of those weirdos who dug Wuthering Heights, which probably had everything to do with the teacher.

Quite possibly my favorite, though, was Daphne DuMaurier's Rebecca. The English teacher told us to read the first chapter last, which I believe helped immensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

I keep trying to think of something I hated reading in high school and all I can think of is a few books that one terrible teacher made miserable for me. Maybe I should give Ethan Frome another chance.

Ethan Frome is poo poo.

I didn't read it in school, but years later. It's an awful, awful book and that has symbolism for the sake of symbolism. I've read a lot of Wharton and like most of her writings (The House of Mirth is an all-time favorite). Ethan Frome is far and away the worst and that's including The Buccaneers, which she didn't finish.

Now I'm trying to remember what was required reading in school.

9th: Run, Lord of the Flies, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Romeo and Juliet, The Old Man and Sea, A Tale of Two Cities
10th: Animal Farm, A Separate Peace, Great Expectations, Julius Caesar, To Kill a Mockingbird
11th: The Witch of Blackbird Pond and The Red Badge of Courage. Pretty sure that's it, other than having to recite a portion of Thanatopsis.
12th: Rebecca, Hamlet and Wuthering Heights.

• Locked thread