Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I really liked The Giver when I read it the first time in middle school. And then I got to college and started not liking it very much. And now, I would have a serious discussion with my kid if/when they read it.

I love and loved The Sun Also Rises in high school because it was the first story I read where things didn't really pan out for anybody. We read it right before reading Their Eyes Were Watching God which was also an incredible thing to read as young white boy in an all white community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I had forgotten about Johnny Tremaine. Who is the kid that gets jazzed up about American history because of Johnny motherfucking Tremaine?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Nathilus posted:

the assigned reading such as dune (7th grade, gently caress yeh)

:eyepop: Holy poo poo, I just read that book for the first time a few months ago and I would not want to be the teacher leading that discussion but I would've wanted to be the kid that got to read that in class.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2016

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Nathilus posted:

It's (still) an entertaining read and has some illuminating bits in it. I particularly remember taking the lesson about fear being the true enemy out of it and also the idea that understanding can't be had by staying seperate from a process. In fact it was when I was rereading it years later and that part came up that I really began to internalize my understanding of quantum physics via the double-slit experiment. I'd never really understood how light could "know" it was being observed. It may sound stupid but up to that point I'd simply failed to recognize that any observation is by definition also an interaction.

I really liked the Duke Atreides, Paul's father, and his attitude towards living on Dune. We're here on this desert planet, we need to adapt to our new environment. We used to exploit water, now we're going to use desert power. That, joined with the attitude of integrating into a mystic, desert sex cult through full participation, made me pleasantly surprised. Paul doesn't succeed because he teaches them his ways, he succeeds because he listens to/respects what his new host culture does.

Still some white savior stuff in there but, for the most part, much better than I expected given the publication date and the genre.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
You're like the worst grandpa, Tony Montana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
My dad strongly encouraged me to read The Jungle when I was a kid because he worked for a meat processing facility. He wanted me to know what those assholes would do if they didn't have to follow some rules.

• Locked thread