Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
My favorite high school assigned reading was Ordinary People. I also recall using sparknotes for A Tale Of Two Cities and then digging in the book for quotes and accidentally getting interested in the middle of the book, which wasn't as dry as the beginning. So I wound up reading it Middle -> End -> Beginning all in one weekend.

My most hated high school book. It was the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I remember for some reason getting really stuck on "the end of the book entirely nullifies everything they did in the whole book oh my god!!!!!". Teen-me understood that the ~adventures~ of this kid was the whole point of the book but lovely teen me also couldn't get around the fact that I hated the main character and also hated that reading this book aloud in class was a constant embarrassment of white teens dealing with saying the n word in a variety of poor ways.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Morons complaining that there was no deeper imagery inside Gatsby, getting actively angry at having to do critical analysis. "It's just a billboard! They're just books on a shelf! It's just a green light!" I blame video games and parents who didn't encourage pleasure reading at home.

I read Gatsby 3-4 times in prep for an essay that I was actually incredibly interested in writing because The Green Light. After turning in those essays the majority of the class complained when we were 'reflecting on the book' that it was extremely boring and all the imagery (they read about on spark notes) felt made up and totally irrelevant to the book, surely the author wouldn't want us to read all this into a book! Its just a book! This was a creative writing class. Why are you in this class if you think books are just boring terrible things you're forced to read and should never attempt to analyze? (Because my school encouraged taking anything and everything because IT LOOKS GOOD FOR COLLEGE!)

EDIT:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

How many of us were forced to read some crusty old tome with obvious gay undertones that the teacher refused to address?

Had an english teacher who was adamant that we not bring up anything :siren:gay:siren: when reading/writing/talking about the picture of dorian gray :v:

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread