Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We did some reading in elementary school, and the best by far was The Giver. It was basically 1984 For Tots, but in Grade 6 how were we to know? At that age, that poo poo was deep. I remember crying when they euthanized the baby because... Twins aren't allowed? Or something??.

It wasnt assigned on the curriculum, but over the course of grades 4 and 5 I read everything Kenneth Oppel had written, and as an adult I will admit to occasionally revisiting them. Firewing kicked a lot of rear end.

Worst of elementary school was definitely Stuart Little. We were too old for that poo poo in Grade 4. Did that book even have a plot?

During high school, I thought Catcher in the Rye was kind of annoying but I liked reading it because I could tick off one more thing in my 'learn about everything mentioned in We Didn't Start the Fire' list. What was actually good, on the other hand, was Fahrenheit 451. I powered through that book in 2 nights and hated having to wait for the rest of my class to catch up.

Worst books from high school were Lord of the Flies and Night. Lord of the Flies ended with, what I felt, was the biggest loving Deus ex Machina possible. The boat shows up and everything just ends?? gently caress that, I wanted more bloodshed!! I also hated how everyone treated the book as the gospel truth about human nature, instead of just a parody of an existing work.

I felt bad for being extremely bored by Night while everyone else was crying over it, but I think that made me resent it more. The writing just didn't affect me and that made me seem heartless within my class.

I have the impression that most American high school students read The Grapes of Wrath? I ended up reading that on my own time after high school and it's now my favourite book. Good job doing something right, America!

Edit: +1 on The Outsiders being great

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The best Shakespeare we read was definitely Hamlet. I was in an Advanced English class and we had the privilege of watching the entire adaptation of it starring Kenneth Branagh.

The year after that we read King Lear but we watched this adaptation called King of Texas and it was as good as it sounds.

E: tell me about your favourite and least favourite made for tv adaptations of books you read in school

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 25, 2016

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I read Dune on the recommendation of my high school compsci teacher and it hurt my impression of him a little bit, to be honest. All I got out of that book was 'white boy conquers the space muslims'.

• Locked thread