Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

in grade school I don't remember particularly liking any of the books I had to read for school, but I do remember hating the really depressing poo poo like Bridge to Terebithia and Where the Red Fern Grows

in high school my favorite books I read for class were One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, All Quiet on the Western Front, and Postcards (an early E. Annie Proulx novel). my least favorite was The Scarlet Letter

thrakkorzog posted:

A Farewell to Arms. So Ernest Hemingway and nurse drink a lot and have sex during world wars. They're not exactly relatable people to 17 year olds.

:ssh: 17 years olds drink a lot and have sex.

also Hemingway was like 18 years old himself when he left for the war and his character in the book is probably the same age?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hobologist posted:

More than half the class just completely missed that Blanche's husband in Streetcar Named Desire was gay.

I'd bet there were plenty who caught it but didn't want to say so out loud.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Just remembered another cool book I read in school: My Side of the Mountain. it's about a kid who runs away from home and lives inside a hollowed out tree in the mountains (in the Catskills iirc). there was a made for tv adaptation but it wasnt great

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

It's great. You might be brought up in a different time and look down your nose at some of the ideas, but it's still brilliant, thoughtful scifi.

Dune is still great and will be remembered and copied for basically ever, while whatever the current politically correct interpretation of it will be outdated in a decade.

I thought Dune was a decent book but I don't quite get why you are using it as a launching board for this generic rant about political correctness. No one even mentioned anything about the politics or ideas? Personally I think the book suffers from the same problem as a lot of scifi - great ideas and worldbuilding, bland characterization and bad writing. Yes there are indeed some really great concepts in Dune but for many readers it takes more than concepts for a book to be good.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

It just happens alot in book talk, there are lots of great works that are coloured by the time they were made or even just laziness around issues were are so MILITANT about now (everyone is EQUAL GODDAMNIT!).

lol! Well, I guess it's better than being yet another anonymous poster. I guess I'm not the age I was when I joined these forums and alot of what I read on here is little more than juvenile blubbering.

well yes but most people on the forums have aged right along with you.

literally no one in this thread was being in any way "militant" about equality in old books, and that's not at all common in discussions of books here in general, maybe you should work on your own reading comprehension and you'll stop seeing the "juvenile blather" that you seem to want to see.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

thrakkorzog posted:

There's no shame in not liking "The Last of the Mohicans" The plot doesn't make a lick of sense.

The movie version is extremely good. Though mostly because of the music and that one fight scene on the cliff.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DavidAlltheTime posted:

They're plays, not meant to be clumsily read by high school students.

So how do you approach this in the classroom? I see people make this point a lot and while it's true I think it kind of misses that there's so much a modern audience would miss without reading them first or at least spending some time reading about their context. They were plays that were meant for a 16th century audience who spoke the same dialect and who would easily get his references and jokes about 16th century politics and culture - without reading them a modern audience can certainly follow the basic plots but there is a ton they are going to miss that the original audiences would have picked up more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah I think the most valuable thing I got from any high school class on Shakespeare was discovering Nino Rota's score from the 1968 film version of Romeo and Juliet. I still play pieces from it all the time.

• Locked thread