Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

My favorite YA novel read in school was The Outsiders. Rich and poor people constantly fighting and calling each other names was appealing and memorable.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Was there one book that stood out?

The Pigman stands out as the most perplexing book we read. I'm sure I'd get more out of it now but back then the basic plot struck me as odd for kids.

The basic plot: Two teenagers keep lying and scamming a sad/old widower who collects pig statues. Then he has a heart attack and they throw a party and completely trash his house while he's in the hospital. Then he returns and realizes his favorite chimpanzee at the zoo has died (IIRC) and then he has another heart attack and dies.

Most class discussion involved kids laughing at what things the two kids would do next to this old guy. The class was probably too young. The same could be said for assigning really young kids The Giver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

fantastic in plastic posted:

My favorite book that I encountered in English class was a short story by Nathaniel Hawthorne called Young Goodman Brown. I was world-weary even as a teenager and found that I could relate to a guy who sees the rot and hypocrisy in his community and doesn't cope well with it.

Yea, that's a good one that I remember too.

"Welcome, my children," said the dark figure, "to the communion of your race! Ye have found, thus young, your nature and your destiny. My children, look behind you!"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anyone else read Jane Eyre and chapter after chapter about the mysterious Mr. Rochester?

PT6A posted:

I will never, until my dying day, figure out what the loving point of The Outsiders was. I may never understand The Outsider fully either, but at least it's interesting to think about.

Trying to be cool and stab other people with shiny knives all while using nicknames. Reminded me of Rebel Without a Cause.

At that age it was a lot more engaging than something like Sarah, Plain and Tall.

Stay gold, ponyboy.

N. Senada posted:

I really liked The Giver when I read it the first time in middle school. And then I got to college and started not liking it very much. And now, I would have a serious discussion with my kid if/when they read it.

"Jonas, take off your tunic and I shall give you a memory of a stirring." -Old Man

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Now that I've had more time to think about it my least favorite was reading the unabridged A Tale of Two Cities. It really had no chance because I had to read a TON of books one quarter and it was the straw that broke the camels back in that regard. A gloomy book about peoples heads being chopped off wasn't the most appealing thing for me at the time.

Carnival of Shrews posted:

But it's very well-written, and contained the first dialect I'd read that didn't seem condescending. I highly recommended it, and its film version 'Kes'.

I need to watch that one.

Nathilus posted:

...The Giver (4th or 5th), and a shitload more.

The Giver in 4th or 5th grade seems early.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

dordreff posted:

The same teacher assigned us a book which I can't remember the title of, but I can remember the plot to this day: some douchebag falls in love with a girl who likes to play sports and wear men's clothing and there was like 300 pages of him torturing himself over "oh man I love this girl and I wanna go to prom with her, but she wants to wear a suit instead of a dress and I can't deal with this at all". gently caress that book. Mr Powell had garbage taste.

Sounds like something based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelfth_Night

van fem posted:

Death of a Salesman. Not a fan of reading plays, but doubt I'd have enjoyed this performed.

That's the one I dealt with the most. I probably read through it in 4-5 different classes.

• Locked thread