Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

I'm starting up a hobby photography business (more hobby than business so far) and I wanted to share some of my recent work. Hope you enjoy! If you feel like showing some goon support, the only page I have for my work thus far is located here: https://www.facebook.com/jessbellphotos (lol fb link)

Tervurens

Coolie

Aussie (okay, this dog is mine)

Border/Bearded Collie cross

Shih Tzu

Border Collie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Those are fantastic and I can imagine you have quite a few happy customers. I do a little photography work on the side and I find people are impressed with anything above camera phone level for portraits. You have done a lot more than that and captured a bit of the animal's characteristics. It's very cool and when the dogs are gone, they will have some super sweet photos of them. I bitterly regret never taking a picture of a cat I had when I was a teenager. It will be awesome for the owner of the frisbee dog to look at that print in years to come.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Great pics!

Dr Cox MD
Sep 11, 2001

Listen Up, Newbies.
Awesome!

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I think these are pretty cool. If I can give one bit of criticism, it's that the backgrounds are a bit too artificially blurred. You see this in a lot of bird photography -- to highlight the subject the background is blurred in post to the point of being an almost solid color. I'd like to see these shots with more detail showing through.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

lord funk posted:

I think these are pretty cool. If I can give one bit of criticism, it's that the backgrounds are a bit too artificially blurred. You see this in a lot of bird photography -- to highlight the subject the background is blurred in post to the point of being an almost solid color. I'd like to see these shots with more detail showing through.

Thanks for the feedback! I don't frequently artificially blur backgrounds, per se, but I do add a lot of diffuse light which can have a similar effect. I just shoot with my aperture wide open. (Though, the Shih Tzu's background was digitally altered as the framing of the original shot was quite different.) My goal is hopefully something a bit more painterly than crisp. Here's a comparison an edit vs unedited.

And here's another shot from yesterday 'cause why not?

Ferryll
Sep 16, 2013

<3

I just wished you lived in my region so I could pay you to take pretty pictures of my pets. I love your work!
I can't imagine working with other people's pets is easy.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Ferryll posted:

I just wished you lived in my region so I could pay you to take pretty pictures of my pets. I love your work!
I can't imagine working with other people's pets is easy.

Thanks!

I suspect there will be a great deal of photoshopping out leashes in my future.

Luckily, to date, I've only been photographing dogs with well above average training, as my social circles include many dog training nerds.

Father & daughter. Border collies. The pup was on leash for the session, because, well, puppy.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

I really, really love your work - what region are you in again?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

porkswordonboard posted:

I really, really love your work - what region are you in again?

Thanks! Ontario -- Toronto region specifically.

Tonight's edit was polishing this neat photo of my friend's Ibizan Hound!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

A rescue Shar Pei x Pug has never looked so noble.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
An amazing picture of an utterly ridiculous dog :allears:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Seriously, how did you get it to stand still long enough to get that shot? I am under the impression that pugs and pug mixes, much like chis, are always wiggling or vibrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

Chaosfeather posted:

Seriously, how did you get it to stand still long enough to get that shot? I am under the impression that pugs and pug mixes, much like chis, are always wiggling or vibrating.

He's a pretty sedate dude. More Pei than Pug I guess. Plus, often if you stick a dog up on something waist-height, it'll keep them there for at least a few seconds.

Here's Polar.

• Locked thread