Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Normally there's a big ol' thread on this, but I dunno if anyone's going to actually do it, so let's talk.

The Browns are eliminated from the playoffs, and the 49ers are eliminated from the NFC West title but could be a wildcard if everything breaks right. Everyone else is still alive for everything.

Nobody can clinch anything yet either and the ESPN Playoff machine probably doesn't go up until next week.

The Seahawks have a 3 game lead in the NFC West, while the Patriots and Cowboys have 2 game leads in their divisions and the Texans can join those two if they win tonight.

Oh, and tiebreaker rules:

Tie Breakers posted:

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION

If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Best net points in all games.
Best net touchdowns in all games.
Coin toss

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated during any step, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of the two-club format).

Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
Best net points in common games.
Coin toss

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.

If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs

Head-to-head, if applicable.
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss.

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
Strength of victory.
Strength of schedule.
Best net points in conference games.
Coin toss

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card, i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tie breaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a Wild-Card berth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Redskins are having a decent year but I just can't see them sneaking in with a wildcard slot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pro starcraft loser posted:

Redskins are having a decent year but I just can't see them sneaking in with a wildcard slot.

The rest of their schedule is fairly nasty

@Cowboys
@Cardinals
@Eagles
Panthers
@Bears
Giants

It wouldn't be too difficult to build a scenario where Giants @ Washington is for a WC slot and the loser misses the playoffs.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I think the Chiefs are going to end up falling out of the playoffs.

Team is banged up and the gameplan basically revolves around hope for 4+ turnovers. They still have a game against the Broncos twice, Oakland and Atlanta.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Chiefs will probably make the playoffs but once there they will be a minor obstacle to the teams that matter

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

AFC North teams have been eliminated from the playoffs as soon as they possibly could from January 2013 on, I believe

That tradition is absolutely continuing this coming January, and I'm like the one AFCN poster who saw it coming from this January and wasn't surprised one bit by this turn of events (everyone sucking, Bengals imploding, Ben getting hurt, Browns contending for 0-16). :rip:

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They are probably going to need 4 more wins to make sure they are in as a Wild Card.

@Denver (I don't think they've won a single SNF game since NBC took it over)
@Atlanta
Oakland
Tennessee
Denver
@San Diego

I see San Diego as a win and a probable split with Denver, but I'm not sure about the rest. I have a bad feeling about the Titans game, because they suck at stopping the run and the Titans can run it and won't stop.

Looks like a 9-7 year to me.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Lions will win the Super Bowl.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
The Texans will limp into the playoffs at 9-7, lose in the first round, and B.O.B. will be back next year because "we made the playoffs!".

Similarly, Rick Smith will keep his job for the same reason.

Rinse, repeat until the heat death of the universe.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Shangri-Law School posted:

The Lions will win the Super Bowl.

lionsbitch.gif

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was just thinking today that I missed kalensc (I think he is the one who did it) doing the playoff threads with all the scenarios for each team to make it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

swickles posted:

I was just thinking today that I missed kalensc (I think he is the one who did it) doing the playoff threads with all the scenarios for each team to make it.

Heh yeah, I started to look at what they'd be and was like, oh gently caress that, everyone can get in as long as they win all their games unless you're like the Jets, Bears or 49ers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Personally I think the playoffs should be abolished.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Eifert Posting posted:

Personally I think the playoffs should be abolished.

Agreed

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Dolphins are going to make the playoffs.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Texans will not be there

Malachy
Dec 20, 2013

Anals of History posted:

lionsbitch.gif

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

What is the rationale to division winners being guaranteed a spot in playoffs? It comes up a lot in the NFL it seems where the Division Winner of Bad Division gets in over Decent Team in Good Division. Is there anything other than equal market representation?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

What is the rationale to division winners being guaranteed a spot in playoffs? It comes up a lot in the NFL it seems where the Division Winner of Bad Division gets in over Decent Team in Good Division. Is there anything other than equal market representation?

Its probably to stop the same teams from getting to the playoffs every year. I know that kind of happens anyway but at least divison leads change occasionally (unless you are the afce)

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

pro starcraft loser posted:

At this point I really think the NFCE might send 3 teams to the playoffs. One of the Giants/Redskins/possibly Eagles is going for sure, the only division that is threatening NFCE supremacy is the North with the Vikings and Lions. If the Lions take full control this turkey day, I can see the Vikings falling out completely. The Giants are currently in the drivers seat for the #5, but the Skins having a tie game instead of a loss is probably better for their chances at the end since they are good.

The Giants have the Browns, Steelers, and the 3 NFCE teams to play, so they could end up pretty strong. Browns should be a win, Steelers could be a win (depends on what steeler team shows up) and the NFCE games are all up in the air, but this team can beat all of them, even the Boys. It could also lose to each one. The Giants are weird.

Skins are definitely my pick for #6 and it's possible that week 17 will be to determine which seed they both get. Eagles dug themselves a hole but still have an okay chance of getting in.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Dolphins are going to make the playoffs.

We likely don't. Hard to keep the pace we've had going. Maybe if KC shits the bed more now that they're at injury level 5000 like we are

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cheap Trick souvenirs posted:

Its based on the schedule and short season. Its not like every team can do a home and home, in fact some teams go years without playing. Its just a way to balance the disparity in schedule strength that some years can be significant.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Playoffs??!

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Intruder posted:

The Texans will not be there

Titans?

Colts only have 2...MAYBE 3 more wins on the schedule.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Titans?

Colts only have 2...MAYBE 3 more wins on the schedule.

Lol at the titans winning the remaining of their divisional games for a playoff chance

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Metapod posted:

Lol at the titans winning the remaining of their divisional games for a playoff chance

Yeah I just typed my super AFC end of season predictions

Titans
vs Bears win, vs Broncos Loss, vs Chiefs Loss, vs Jags Win, vs Texans Win
8-8

Colts
vs Steelers Loss, vs Jets Win, vs Texans Loss, vs Vikings Loss, vs Raiders Loss, vs Jags Win
7-9

Texans
vs Chargers Win, vs Packers...lose?, vs Colts Win, vs Jags Win, vs Bengals Loss, vs Titans Loss
9-7

Welp

I dont even like giving the Colts that Jets W. Colts have 1 win in the last 5 matchups.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 22, 2016

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Amy Pole Her posted:

We likely don't. Hard to keep the pace we've had going. Maybe if KC shits the bed more now that they're at injury level 5000 like we are

Gase is a very good coach. Also, a reminder -

https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/801166628654170112

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm really loving Gase because he's making moves that so many people have been pounding their desk for

Dallas Thomas cut
Demanding more out of Jay Ajayi and making him sit
His love of deep shots to Parker
His allowing Tannehill to call his own plays at the line

He's actually been around success at the QB position and he's not some idiot with a massive ego. He understands ego is a result, not an ingredient

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Yeah I just typed my super AFC end of season predictions

Titans
vs Bears win, vs Broncos Loss, vs Chiefs Loss, vs Jags Win, vs Texans Win
8-8

Lol we aren't sweeping the jags or beating Houston

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Amy Pole Her posted:

I'm really loving Gase because he's making moves that so many people have been pounding their desk for

Dallas Thomas cut
Demanding more out of Jay Ajayi and making him sit
His love of deep shots to Parker
His allowing Tannehill to call his own plays at the line

He's actually been around success at the QB position and he's not some idiot with a massive ego. He understands ego is a result, not an ingredient

Lol if you don't think having a big ego is an ingredient to being a good QB

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I got a call from Jim Robinson earlier today. I'm gonna play CB for the Titans!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Playoffs are dumb as hell

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Febreeze posted:

Derek Carr

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Febreeze posted:

Andrew Luck is too much of a goon to have a big ego.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Uggghhhhh

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

pubic works project posted:

Andrew Luck is too much of a goon to have a big ego.

The rule holds true then.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Febreeze posted:

As a coach.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh hey, I forgot to mention, but the Raiders are currently the #1 seed in the AFC.

They have the same record, conference record, and don't have enough common opponents yet, so they're #1 off of strength of victory tiebreakers.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Febreeze posted:

Russell Wilson doesn't have an ego of his own- he's just a fill in for god's ego.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Kalli posted:

Oh hey, I forgot to mention, but the Raiders are currently the #1 seed in the AFC.

They have the same record, conference record, and don't have enough common opponents yet, so they're #1 off of strength of victory tiebreakers.

The Raiders would hold the #1 if they win out it appears. A win over the Bills would make the difference. On the flipside if they lose to the Bills they will need the Ravens or Broncos to beat the Pats.

So get ready to root for the broncos, raiders fans

• Locked thread