Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Totally random and a derail but Chich, did you see S4 of The Fall? We just finished it...holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

weird Asian candy posted:

Totally random and a derail but Chich, did you see S4 of The Fall? We just finished it...holy poo poo!

You mean season 3? Hell yes! That show was amazing and it passed up The Wire as my favorite crime show. God drat was Gillian Anderson perfect in it. Everything about The Fall is on point. I love the juxtaposition of Anderson's sexual predations and Spector's. And the way they displayed the fragility of masculinity was absolutely beautiful. I was absolutely in awe of the ending.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Chichevache posted:

You mean season 3? Hell yes! That show was amazing and it passed up The Wire as my favorite crime show. God drat was Gillian Anderson perfect in it. Everything about The Fall is on point. I love the juxtaposition of Anderson's sexual predations and Spector's. And the way they displayed the fragility of masculinity was absolutely beautiful. I was absolutely in awe of the ending.

Season 3, yes sorry. The build up during the season to the finale was loving incredible. I don't think I blinked from the interrogation room scene til the end. That's how you close out a series, damnit! Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did :)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chichevache posted:

You guys have still had an amazing season, considering the setbacks you faced. I would definitely view this optimistically. You've probably got your coach of the future in Mike Zimmer.

Yeah, let's be optimistic. Who was the last team to start 5-0, end with a winning record, and still miss playoffs

Oh right, it was also the Vikings

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chris James 2 posted:

Yeah, let's be optimistic. Who was the last team to start 5-0, end with a winning record, and still miss playoffs

Oh right, it was also the Vikings

Falcons a year or two ago? Or were they 5-1 or something.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Falcons a year or two ago? Or were they 5-1 or something.

They were 5-0 to start yes, but they only finished 8-8 lol

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Try this thought experiment. Imagine the Lions trying to play a season without Stafford, not to mention a missing LT and RB.

That would be very bad!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Every week I adjust my playoff predictions, and every week, the Super Bowl remains the same: Patriots over Cowboys.

That said, right now I have Detroit and Buffalo ending up in the First Out spots, and a Green Bay/Minnesota wild card game.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

http://nflplayoffpredictor.com/?L=EwRjpZSnLtJQeOTm3o8altVzTCBXFfSAZkVAuOXVN2hjvOvohdezwLeYwlO2FLGb0wABlTcJTVhCA

I made it so that Oakland and Denver miss the playoffs and San Diego makes it to the divisional round.

I also put the Chiefs beating the Patriots in the AFC Championship, but that was more for me, because the Pats win that game 9 times out of 10 at Gillette. Winner of the AFC beats the Cowboys in the SB.

incompetent
Jun 4, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

Every week I adjust my playoff predictions, and every week, the Super Bowl remains the same: Patriots over Cowboys.

They had some trouble beating garbage fire teams like the 49ers and the Jets. Might wanna switch them out with someone else.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I was messing with the playoff machine on espn and the Giants and Lions have pretty rough schedules to close the year.

NYG: @PIT, vs DAL, vs DET, @PHI, @WAS
DET: @NO, vs CHI, @NYG, @DAL, vs GB

Both teams seem to need to win 3 out of their last 5 games so that week 15 showdown could be crucial. NYG can win 2 of 5 and get in at 10-6 but they'd need help as it seems that its only possible if Washington collapses or the Buccs, Lions, Packers, and Vikings all fail to reach 10-6. The Giants don't seem to win tiebreakers against any of those teams. Obviously, if only one of GB, MIN, and DET reaches 10-6 its moot because they'd be division champs and wouldn't be in the wild card race.

As of now I don't know if any other game affects as many teams as week 15 DET @ NYG. Depending on other results throughout the year I had that game changing the seeds of 5 different teams. It could also be meaningless so who knows.

One positive for the Lions is that Dallas can wrap up home field advantage before their week 16 matchup with 3 straight wins or 2 wins and a Seattle loss before then.

edit: lmao I just realized that Dallas resting their starters week 16 would mean that Detroit faces Tony Romo with a Chip on His Shoulder™

schweens fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 29, 2016

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

schweens posted:

I was messing with the playoff machine on espn and the Giants and Lions have pretty rough schedules to close the year.

NYG: @PIT, vs DAL, vs DET, @PHI, @WAS
DET: @NO, vs CHI, @NYG, @DAL, vs GB

Both teams seem to need to win 3 out of their last 5 games so that week 15 showdown could be crucial. NYG can win 2 of 5 and get in at 10-6 but they'd need help as it seems that its only possible if Washington collapses or the Buccs, Lions, Packers, and Vikings all fail to reach 10-6. The Giants don't seem to win tiebreakers against any of those teams. Obviously, if only one of GB, MIN, and DET reaches 10-6 its moot because they'd be division champs and wouldn't be in the wild card race.

As of now I don't know if any other game affects as many teams as week 15 DET @ NYG. Depending on other results throughout the year I had that game changing the seeds of 5 different teams. It could also be meaningless so who knows.

One positive for the Lions is that Dallas can wrap up home field advantage before their week 16 matchup with 3 straight wins or 2 wins and a Seattle loss before then.

edit: lmao I just realized that Dallas resting their starters week 16 would mean that Detroit faces Tony Romo with a Chip on His Shoulder™

We could get an amazing stat line from Romo. When he came in off the bench in garbage time in 2006, he had a 158.3 passer rating.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Lote posted:

We could get an amazing stat line from Romo. When he came in off the bench in garbage time in 2006, he had a 158.3 passer rating.
Romo mimicking Matt Flynn's best game against the Lions would be pretty funny

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Week 15 SNF is Steelers@Bengals. :lol:
Wouldn't be surprised if Lions@Giants got flexed.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

But really, Kellen Moore's Revenge would be funnier than Romo's Return.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Shangri-Law School posted:

It won't be bc the whole country loves watching the Steelers dunk on the Bengals

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah, there's no way Steelers/Bengals stays in that slot

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Steelers diaspora fanbase + 1st time facing Burfict since WC game that got him suspended. It won't be flexed

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Steelers diaspora fanbase + 1st time facing Burfict since WC game that got him suspended. It won't be flexed

you say that (and it's completely possible) but at the same time Pats/Jets just got flexed out and that features 2 of the biggest markets in the country, the Brady revenge tour against a division rival, and the unique flavor of lovely clownball that the Jets provide

The Bengals in their current state aren't even a fun bad, they're just kind of sad

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shangri-Law School posted:

Any of the Lions' last three could be flexed TBH. @NYG that week if both teams are still in the playoff hunt, @DAL Week 16 if Dallas could clinch the NFCE with a win, and vGB if the NFCN is on the line (especially if GB has clawed their way back into the race and it's a win-and-in game, which of course is what will happen)

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Any of the Lions' last three could be flexed TBH. @NYG that week if both teams are still in the playoff hunt, @DAL Week 16 if Dallas could clinch the NFCE with a win, and vGB if the NFCN is on the line (especially if GB has clawed their way back into the race and it's a win-and-in game, which of course is what will happen)

Yup. GB wins vs HOU, @CHI, and vs MIN. Detroit loses @ DAL and NYG. Minnesota also loses to Dallas.

This would make week 17 for the division even if GB loses to the Seahawks.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Please merge this thread with the Raiders bitch thread tia

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know, that's a good point, we should probably start looking at where teams are gonna get seated.

AFC Chat

Like the Raiders and Patriots are having a nice little battle for the #1/2 seed, and that could be really interesting.

Patriots: Rams, Ravens, @Broncos, Jets, @Dolphins
Raiders: Bills, @Chiefs, @Chargers, Colts, @Broncos

Head to head doesn't apply
Conference record: Patriots 7-1, Raiders 6-1 (out of 12)
Common opponents: Ravens, Broncos, Texans, Bills. Patriots 2-1, Raiders 3-0
Strength of victory / Strength of schedule - Raiders have a lead, but it can change too much to calculate.

So if they both win out, the Raiders will be the #1 seed. If either falters, the Chiefs are right there at 8-3, and they've got a win over the Raiders. The least important game for the Patriots is the Rams game, while losing either the Ravens or Broncos game is very bad for tiebreakers, while the Raiders can afford to drop either the Bills or Broncos game, but it's very bad for them if they lose both. The Ravens/Texans/Steelers are all 6-5, so it's pretty hard for either the Patriots or the AFCW winner to not end up as the 1 and 2 seeds.

At 8-3, the Chiefs with three wins all but guarantee one of the wildcard slots, but their schedule is fairly nasty, consisting of: @Falcons, Raiders, Titans, Broncos, @Chargers. Two wins makes it fairly reasonable for them to miss the playoffs.

The other 7 win teams are the Broncos and Dolphins. Broncos have @Jaguars and @Titans before the three above games, while the Dolphins have: @Ravens, Cardinals, @Jets, @Bills and Patriots to end the season. The Steelers and Bills and Titans are also at 6 wins, but it's hard to imagine any of the Steelers/Ravens or Titans/Texans winning 10 games without also winning their division, and the Bills are pretty much done if they lose to the Raiders this Sunday.

Someone do the NFC

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Kalli posted:

Someone do the NFC

Cowboys going to the super bowl

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami going 9-7 would be a pretty good year tbh. Considering we're in year one of Gases system that appears to be working

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Chargers bitch

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
NFC Chat

Current playoff picture:

1. Cowboys (10-1) @MIN, @NYG, vs. TB, vs. DET, @PHI
2. Seahawks (7-3-1) vs. CAR, @GB, vs. LA, vs. ARI, @SF
4. Lions (7-4) @NO, vs. CHI, @NYG, @DAL, vs. GB
4. Falcons (7-4) vs. KC, @LA, vs. SF, @CAR, vs. NO
5. Giants (8-3) @PIT, vs. DAL, vs. DET, @PHI, @WAS
6. Washington (6-4-1) @ARI, @PHI, vs. CAR, @CHI, vs. NYG

Still in the hunt:

Buccaneers (6-5)
Vikings (6-5)
Saints (5-6)
Packers (5-6)
Eagles (5-6)

Not mathematically eliminated yet, but c'mon:

Cardinals (4-6-1)
Panthers (4-7)
Rams (4-7)
Bears (2-9)

The Cowboys have homefield advantage on lockdown, especially after the Seahawks stumbled in Tampa last week. Despite that bad loss, the Seahawks have a head-to-head tiebreaker over the Falcons, so they're still sitting pretty for a first-round bye. The NFC South is quietly getting interesting with the Bucs sneaking up on the Falcons, but they already lost to Atlanta so the division race might be all smoke and mirrors.

The NFC North is a real shitshow this year, with the Packers underachieving, the Lions winning despite playing uninspired football, and the Vikings doing ... whatever the hell they're doing. That division race probably won't be decided until GB@DET in Week 17.

The wild card race is really fascinating right now. The Giants might have already punched their ticket for the No. 5 seed, but we've seen the Giants gently caress up good situations before so stay on your toes. Washington shouldn't feel safe with the Bucs, Packers and Saints all heating up. There's a strong chance the NFC East sends 3 playoff teams, which would be boring, so let's hope one of these mid-tier teams steps it up down the stretch.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 30, 2016

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
E: Beaten because I typed a million words.

I think the only thing that's a definite lock in the NFC is that Dallas will be in the playoffs and Seattle is winning the West and probably getting a bye week. Here's a quick rundown of all the teams that I'd give a shot and their last 5 (and my crappy analysis):

NFC East
DAL (10-1): @MIN, @NYG, vTB, vDET, @PHI
NYG (8-3): @PIT, vDAL, vDET, @PHI, @WSH
WSH (6-4-1): @ARI, @PHI, vCAR, @CHI, vNYG
PHI (5-6): @CIN, vWSH, @BAL, vNYG, vDAL

The Cowboys and Giants have brutal schedules down the stretch. If Dallas wins their matchup, they've effectively won the division, but if the Giants win, they'll get the H2H tiebreaker over Dallas. It's hard for me to see Dallas losing 2 more games than the Giants though. The Giants, Eagles, and Washington all are in play for the WC. Washington has the best go of it with their schedule as they face 4 teams under .500, and since they already hold the 6 seed, I have to think they'll make it in. They're also out of tiebreaker discussion unless something weird happens. I can easily see the Giants going 2-3 or worse down the stretch. Those are all lose-able games. Philly's schedule is not too easy either, but they get all 3 of their division foes at home. Their issue is they have 3 losses in the division already, so all 3 of those are absolute must wins along with winning at least 1 of their AFC North road games.

NFC North
DET (7-4): @NO, vCHI, @NYG, @DAL, vGB
MIN (6-5): vDAL, @JAX, vIND, @GB, vCHI
GB (5-6): vHOU, vSEA, @CHI, vMIN, @DET

A couple of things to look at here. Division records might be moot if it's Detroit vs someone else for the division crown. Detroit has won both games over Minny, and I can't think of a scenario where GB would be up a game on Detroit to make that tiebreaker in play for week 17. The other thing to look at is that Minny is still in play to win this division if they revert back from being a pumpkin. Detroit's schedule is not optimal, and you could easily see them going 2-3 or 1-4 against it. Green Bay's schedule is also not optimal for them, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also went 2-3 against it. Minnesota could easily go 3-2 or 4-1 and pull the division out if they weren't a complete garbage team right now. A 3 way tie greatly benefits Green Bay since they only have 1 division loss compared to 2 for Detroit and 3 for Minny. With all this said, is there anyway that Green Bay/Detroit game won't be for the NFC North? The forces of the universe will make it destined.

NFC South
ATL (7-4): vKC, @LA, vSF, @CAR, vNO
TB (6-5): @SD, vNO, @DAL, @NO, vCAR
NO (5-6): vDET, @TB, @ARI, vTB, @ATL

Atlanta has a favorable schedule here. Both Tampa and Atlanta have one division loss (to each other), and they both have the same conference record. If Tampa and New Orleans split it could easy DQ both of them for the division. I would almost say Tampa needs to sweep New Orleans if they want a shot at the division unless Atlanta does something stupid like lose to Jeff Fisher. Tampa probably has to win both against New Orleans, beat Carolina, and either pick up another one or have Atlanta lose 3 with one being in the last 2 weeks. New Orleans also needs to sweep Tampa because they're playing from behind with their 2 division losses. Looking at it, New Orleans needs to beat Tampa twice, have Atlanta either tied or one game up going into that week 17 matchup, and if Atlanta is up one game, have their losses come to NFC teams (or any combo that includes Carolina). Hard to see Atlanta not pulling this one out, but who knows with them.

NFC West
SEA (7-3-1): vCAR, @GB, vLA, vARI, @SF

Yeah if Zona beats them they get the tiebreaker, but find 2 other losses on there. Plus Zona ain't winning out. I also don't see them being caught by the North or South Champ, so enjoy your bye week and likely 2 seed Seattle.

NFC Wild Card
DET (7-4): @NO, vCHI, @NYG, @DAL, vGB
ATL (7-4): vKC, @LA, vSF, @CAR, vNO

NYG (8-3): @PIT, vDAL, vDET, @PHI, @WSH
WSH (6-4-1): @ARI, @PHI, vCAR, @CHI, vNYG
TB (6-5): @SD, vNO, @DAL, @NO, vCAR
MIN (6-5): vDAL, @JAX, vIND, @GB, vCHI
NO (5-6): vDET, @TB, @ARI, vTB, @ATL
GB (5-6): vHOU, vSEA, @CHI, vMIN, @DET
PHI (5-6): @CIN, vWSH, @BAL, vNYG, vDAL

This will probably be fun because I think the Giants are going 2-3 at best with that schedule. I'd look at this really favorably if I were a Washington fan. For tiebreakers, the Giants and Minnesota are in deep poo poo here. Almost everyone has 3 conference losses right now, but 4 of the last 5 for the Giants are against NFC teams. Any scenario where they slip up will likely cost them a tiebreaker with any team that rises to equal their record. Minnesota also already has 5 conference losses. I'm thinking both WC teams will have 10 wins, I doubt 9-7 will cut it. I can easily see Washington winning 4 with that schedule (and remember a 9 win Washington team has precedent over all other 9 win teams), and the Giants are probably 2-3 in those last 5. It'll take someone going 4-1 or 5-0 down the stretch to push a NFC East team out unless one fails to get to 10 wins. A 1-4 finish or worse for the Giants and 2-3 finish or worse for Washington would lead to absolute chaos so root for that. Also root for the Bucs, because the Bucs are cool and should make the playoffs. It would make my sad football soul happy.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

marioinblack posted:

E: Beaten because I typed a million words.

You did a much better job than I did so no worries :hfive:

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Man imagine if the Giants lose their next 2. It could Stafford vs Eli with pretty much a playoff spot on the line. That Giants/Lions game might be the most pivotal game of this race.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
If the Giants can win 3 of their last 5 (no easy task considering the schedule), I think they are guaranteed playoffs. They have a 2 win lead on everyone else for the wildcard (which I assume they win unless Dallas has a spectacular meltdown). I think if the Giants can manage the Steelers it's pretty much a lock. The Skins are my biggest worry, since they currently already beat us while we already beat Philly and Dallas. That stupid tie throws everything into chaos.

I think the Giants win 2 of the remaining games for sure. They aren't beating Dallas, but the other 4 games are all very 50/50 at this point because the team can hold their own with each remaining opponent. I think we'll beat either the Lions/Steelers (but not both) and the Skins. If we win another, it'll be the Eagles.

Also I think Tampa Bay is a major sleeper for #6. The NFCS has gotten really interesting and might be the best battle down the stretch.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Benne posted:

That division race probably won't be decided until GB@DET in Week 17.

marioinblack posted:

With all this said, is there anyway that Green Bay/Detroit game won't be for the NFC North? The forces of the universe will make it destined.

This is my nightmare and I've already accepted that it will happen. Though who wins that game is anyone's guess.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
here's my lead pipe gold lock for playoffs, call your bookie tonight with this one

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
This is the one true scenario

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

marioinblack posted:

This is the one true scenario

SuperBowl rematch? I'm down

Odovaucer
Oct 23, 2003
Ostrogoth
Sorry, everybody, AFC North's sending three teams to the playoffs as usual.

All it takes is a little hot streak from Cincinnati and Tennessee. Cleveland's winless, Rams are 7-9, Lions lose a win-and-in to the Packers. Seems legit.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Benne posted:

Not mathematically eliminated yet, but c'mon:

Cardinals (4-6-1)
Panthers (4-7)
Rams (4-7)
Bears (2-9)

:getin:

E: made everyone more mediocre all around.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/mac...6~2~400874550~1

Alpha3KV fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 30, 2016

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

This is my favorite scenario I've ever done with one of these. The week 17 game between the Giants and Washington in this situation is winner gets the 1 seed/loser misses the playoffs:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

schweens posted:

This is my favorite scenario I've ever done with one of these. The week 17 game between the Giants and Washington in this situation is winner gets the 1 seed/loser misses the playoffs:

I managed to replicate that NFC scenario here:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/mac...6~1~400874550~1
Being a tweak of the one I posted earlier, it ends up with no playoff team having more than 10 wins except the Giants if they win that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Boosh! posted:

I forget, can a wild card team (11 wins) host a game in the conference championship over a division winner with an inferior record (10 win team)?

Nope

• Locked thread