Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
:siren:PREORDER BETA IS OUT; IF YOU SHELLED MONEY OUT FOR THIS GARBAGE IT SHOULD SHOW UP IN YOUR LIBRARY BY NOW:siren:

WELCOME, TO SPACE CRUSADE-gently caress wrong game

BROTHERS, I BRING GRAVE NEWS-goddammit this is still wrong

Much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhRqPwyHXKg

Space Hulk: Deathwing is an FPS set in Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000 universe. Taking on the role of genetically-modified, superhuman space marines, the player is tasked with exploring and destroying the game's titular space hulk, a massive amalgamation of wrecked starships and debris that are all-to-often infested with horrific abominations from the depths of space. Long story short, you and your friends must toss on some tactical dreadnought armor, ride a giant drill/missile, then kill a metric poo poo-ton of not-xenomorphs with increasingly-ridiculous guns and space-swords.

The devs have been unusually quiet about actual details, but feature-wise we can expect online coop (up to 4 players?), some kind of skill-tree system, a poo poo-ton of weapons, and a wide variety of Genestealer "strains" with "swarm-like behavior" that weigh their numbers against the players. Also a GW-approved epic story courtesy of Black Library author Gav Thorpe-hahaha I can't type this with a straight face

Of interesting note, the game is being developed by Streum On studios, the same insane Frenchmen responsible for 2011's EYE: Divine Cybermancy, a game that...uh...defied expectations, I guess. With the lack of gameplay details and a single 17-minute video of actual gameplay to go by, there is a lot potential for this game to be a massive disappointment, but with the release of the beta hopeless goons such as myself will soon be able to figure out the game mechanics and determine if this steaming pile of french software is worth shelling 30 bucks for.

STEAM GROUP?

No specific goon group has been considered, but for the moment I'm going to declare the venerable (and more importantly, still active) Goonintide steam group to be sufficient for arranging multiplayer games (assuming this 6 gig beta even has coop in it): http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonintide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
This post reserved for gameplay details/pro strats as we figure out this dumb beta

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Are your legs ok?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Whoa, I am really interested in this. EYE and Vermintide are such weird and fun games.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

I was pretty excited for this but the 17 minute gameplay video they released a while ago was pretty disappointing to me sadly.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

ChickenHeart posted:

Of interesting note, the game is being developed by Streum On studios, the same insane Frenchmen responsible for 2011's EYE: Divine Cybermancy, a game that...uh...defied expectations, I guess. With the lack of gameplay details and a single 17-minute video of actual gameplay to go by, there is a lot potential for this game to be a massive disappointment, but with the release of the beta hopeless goons such as myself will soon be able to figure out the game mechanics and determine if this steaming pile of french software is worth shelling 30 bucks for.
The onyl reason I didn't instantly pre-order to be honest. That and the general fact that with the GW license you never know if you'll get a good game or shovelware crap. Report in soon brave pre-order marines.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
THEY ARE OVERWHELMING US

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hear this game has an inexplicable hacking component like from EYE. Confirm/deny?!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pierson posted:

The onyl reason I didn't instantly pre-order to be honest. That and the general fact that with the GW license you never know if you'll get a good game or shovelware crap. Report in soon brave pre-order marines.

Yeah, GW games from smaller studios are a complete coinflip. Vermintide and Battlefleet Gothic were fine, but Mordheim or Eisenhorn were hella disappointing.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Coolguye posted:

THEY ARE OVERWHELMING US

Caps would imply they show any emotion while saying this.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Mordja posted:

I hear this game has an inexplicable hacking component like from EYE. Confirm/deny?!

Having just completed the tutorial...kinda? You have to open up an automap-like submenu (bound to "m" for some reason?), scan the area you're in, then click on objects like turrets to use options like enable/disable, destroy, and hack (which gives you full control). No hack-battle system as far as I can tell.

Also strangely enough the semi-wonkily-translated subtitles work out surprisingly well for the wacked-out universe of 40k.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Has anyone figured out how to enable higher resolutions than 1080p? Like editing a .ini file or something?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Deathwing battle battle-brothers terminate death death kill.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

Deathwing battle battle-brothers terminate death death kill.

*nods head approvingly*

Yes. I feel immersed in this dark future setting that is definitely not trying way too hard to be metal.

Definitely looking forward to seeing how well (?) this was translated.

Remember:

YOU GAINED BROZOUF

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
why the hell is block bound to ctrl

on the plus side I like how genestealers will keep coming after you despite losing multiple limbs from gunfire.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Sykic posted:

Caps would imply they show any emotion while saying this.

They just get increasingly louder each time they say this.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Played the Beta, canceled my Pre-order. Loved E.Y.E., love Space Hulk... but this just feels off. :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Feindfeuer posted:

Played the Beta, canceled my Pre-order. Loved E.Y.E., love Space Hulk... but this just feels off. :smith:

Yeah this has got a lot of technical gubbins that are making me question my decision to buy in. I guess I have to forgive that, since it's a beta, but I've rather grown used to the era where "beta" means "basically ready", and this... isn't.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
you guys got to play? i loaded up earlier and was trying to host a map, but every time i hit 'host' it simply did nothing

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Was gifted this a while back and am downloading the Beta now.

I kinda hated Vermintide for a couple of reasons, so if nothing else this will be interesting.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coolguye posted:

you guys got to play? i loaded up earlier and was trying to host a map, but every time i hit 'host' it simply did nothing

It eventually did a thing but no one joined then I had to sit at the briefing screen for 3 minutes while the timer counted down then it dropped me in alone, no bots or anything

Game's got some Issues®

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hmmm... Warrior Strain.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Coolguye posted:

I could host without problems, buddy was not able to connect to me, nor was I able to connect to him. But some random pubbies could connect to either of us so :shrug: no idea what was wrong with that. Game itself just wasn't very good and I don't mean the graphics, those are fine. Not great, not anywhere near what the trailer promised, but they get the feel and athmosphere across. But the gunplay feels meh, the melee feels meh and those two things are the core gameplay elements of the game. The enemies just rush towards you from where ever they spawn and the most impressive action I've witnessed was them spawning behind my squad. Maybe there is actually a great A.I that moves those mooks around the various ducts and hallways to flank you, but for all intent and purpose there is no difference for the player if those dudes just spawn there or actually spread out and move there as long as the visual part is them bee lining towards you as soon as they get into view.

So you didn't miss out on much.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marcus' BOLTER is JAMMED

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Performance looks shaky, as said. Connection issues and loading times are the norm, the actual game seems to run fine. Bizarrely, the issues also seem to be pretty hit or miss as I've seen plenty of streams of it working perfectly fine.

Vaguely optimistic? :shrug:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Trip report: absolutely love the atmosphere, environments look cool, don't pick the melee class if you don't have 3 friends with you.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Also keep in mind that while everyone seems to want the game to be a Left40KDead, the devs have said that they're focusing on the single player experience primarily and the multiplayer is a fun bonus.
Killing people by charging into them will never get old.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Okay, first big thing that everyone should know that the game does an awful job of telling you: WHEN YOU UNLOCK NEW WEAPONS IN A MISSION, HIT "I" TO OPEN YOUR INVENTORY TO CHANGE WEAPONS. You can also use this to change classes on the fly.

Other things:

-At least for this beta, you gain levels during the mission and lose them after you win/lose. No permanent progression so far.

-You can mouse over abilities in the loadout screen to get a description of what all those numbered buttons do.

-The big, screamy genestealer that appears after you smash a bunch of servitors will continue to spawn waves of smaller genestealers as long as you're nearby, so either kill it or get some distance.

-Avoid acid-spitters as much as possible; they do more damage than rockets and will easily two-shot you from full health.

-If you notice your radar going nuts, it means cloaked genestealers are about 2 seconds away from loving your poo poo up.

-Psyker hybrids also hurt a lot. If you see an unarmed cultist suffering from a migraine, make it dead first.

-Spontaneous Combustion is hilarious.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

ChickenHeart posted:

HIT "I" TO OPEN YOUR INVENTORY TO CHANGE WEAPONS.[/B] You can also use this to change classes on the fly.

Thank you. I've been stuck with the auto cannon all day.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Is this game worth the brouzouf?

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
I got into a game with some randos last night and really quite enjoyed myself. I am disappointed the game isn't more like E.Y.E, though.

Here's a stream vid with some Focus guys answering questions, including the revelation that multiplayer levelling is not persistent.

A surprisingly high portion of your time is spent locking doors.

e: Ability cooldowns seem to get longer as you level up for some reason. I played as the apothecary and the AoE heal seems to last as long as it takes to heal a certain total amount, so I don't think you can waste it.

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Nov 25, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
It's Republic Commando with some light EYE-mechanics.

If you don't hit any performance issues, I'd highly recommend it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

e: Ability cooldowns seem to get longer as you level up for some reason. I played as the apothecary and the AoE heal seems to last as long as it takes to heal a certain total amount, so I don't think you can waste it.

Any indication that they get more powerful as you level?

Anyway, a little surprised that leveling isn't persistent, though it sort of makes sense, given that there aren't a tonne of guns and abilities per multiplayer class. Still not certain on this, but I might end up preordering at the last moment for GMG's 25% discount.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

Preorder it now on steam, download the 'open beta' and see if you like the gameplay. You can than just refund it afterwards and either re-buy it from GMG if you like it, or just not buy it at all.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Mordja posted:

Any indication that they get more powerful as you level?

Not really, even at level 1 your first ability heals someone from nearly dead to full (or so close to full the UI can't tell the difference). The attack abilities might be different though. The transient progression system is the biggest snag for me really; I was hoping for/ expecting a E.Y.E-like levelling system that stays with you between SP and MP.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i somehow completed EYE despite not knowing what the gently caress was ever going on and i wonder if it was like that without the hosed up translation

Orv
May 4, 2011
This seems good, technical poo poo aside. As someone for whom L4D-alikes have extremely limited replay value, the shallowness of the systems seems exactly right for the 20 or whatever hours I'll get out of this.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Played it for a bit today.

Seemed like L4D+40k.

I hope they change the leveling system to be more persistent instead of resetting.

I didn't run into any problems with performance.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Xae posted:

Played it for a bit today.

Seemed like L4D+40k.

I hope they change the leveling system to be more persistent instead of resetting.

I didn't run into any problems with performance.

Does it seem like a game that would be fun enough solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Sounds like some odd gameplay mechanics decisions, but this is the E.Y.E. guys we're talking about. I recently replayed that and still had a lot of fun (focused on shooting), and played through Dawn of War II: Retribution (good stuff) and Space Marine (not so good) so I'm doubly interested in this. The only enemy types we'll be seeing are Genestealer variants? No other Tyranids? Kind of a bummer if that's true.

• Locked thread