Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Ambiance

So it was known in The Age of Law, a glorious era for the Kingdoms of Dreams that a shadow had surfaced beneath the lands. Chaos of the nightmare realm now threatens to tear asunder the Good and Just realms of those blessed men and women who had cast aside the false gods, for their wicked hosts did surface from below, breaching forth wherever the blessed had grown vulnerable. Preying upon these sacred lands grand and destitute alike, these incursions of nightmare threaten the very sanctity of the Kingdoms of Dreams--while driving to madness and worse many who would brave their fearful depths. Not all, however, succumbed to the corruption of the nightmare realm--and in those who could, hope could grow.

So it was decreed, by the Prophets and Scholars of the divine--that those men and women who might resist the corruption of maddening shadows may be the instrument of its denial. Blessed was the will of the Divine--and as the incursions of wicked nightmares grew, so too grew the call for those precious few who could resist it. Rich or poor, no matter their walk of life, the men and women capable of staving back the encroach of nightmares were in great demand. By the will of the Sultans of Geth and Neth alike, magistrates and their ilk might levee these fated folk to delve against the incursions wherever they may rise; those lives lost to the darkness were most Blessed indeed, for theirs had been spent in a pursuit most Good and Just.

~

Far from the shores of the Highland Coast, great peril stirs inland--and it is among the province of Hadrazzar a motley menagerie of fated folk have found their paths to gross. South of Geth, South of Neth, having traversed many a way the likes of The Sultan's Highway--a shadow has fallen the town of Narkavrum--a place of great import to the grand city of Neth. It is here, in Narkavrum, that our story begins as fates intertwine--and though each among the fated souls has been drawn here for reasons their own, the call for those able men and women was a clear one: nightmares have been given rise.

Narkavrum, a place once far humbler and less populous, now stands swelled by a great many immigrants from far and wide throughout the eastern lands--and it is from among those folk that great shafts have been plunged into the earthen hills to mine precious ores. At the epicenter of Narkavrum stands a massive foundry, its myriad smokestacks reaching high toward the heavens as many forges within burn day and night; here, ore may be smelted in great quantity to render much-needed metal for the fashioning of arms and armor. Without Narkavrum, Neth's arsenal would be hindered greatly--and the threat of Geth from the north would grow that much stronger.

Each have come to Narkavrum, and each in turn has heard mutters and murmurs among the streets: a darkness has come to fall upon this place--and has grown all the more dire as of late. Before, in weeks passed, wicked things had lurked among the hills and valleys of the lands beyond Neth's reach; soldiers dispatched had striven to establish an outpost to bulwark Narkavrum from the wilds--but word from the outpost has ceased. With each passing day, the good men and women of Narkavrum have grown more restless--and it is said that each passing night, folk have disappeared to eerie cries.

Rumors of an incursion among the wilds spread swiftly--and in such, it is said that Magistrate Vashti Rafhezadi beseeches the Sultan of Neth to send more fighting men and women and seek to strengthen Narkavrum's defense. Worry has blossomed, its roots deep--and it was on the morn of this most fateful day that the Magistrate has sought out men and women capable of addressing a threat most dire: an incursion has surfaced within Narkavrum itself--the portents of such a terror most dire.

One by one, the fated folk have been brought to assemble at the remnants of a stone hall--once home to a mercer since absent of Narkavrum. Two-stories of painted green stone sat at the end of a dusty lane, peaked with a small dome above; two red banners hung listless and frayed from windows of the upper floor, marked with a faded sigil of silver embroidery. Within, lit candelabra have been arrayed about a long wooden table flanked by wooden benches; a collection of empty flagons sits gathered at one corner, though little other decor adorns the hall.

It was said that an agent of the Magistrate would come to address the matter of the incursion at hand--but until then, there was naught to do but wait as one by one, new arrivals came.

~

Here we go, dropping swiftly into a certain calm before a very certain storm; I leave it to each of you as to just how you may have ultimately arrived here in Narkavrum, but common to you all is the knowledge of your ability to enter the nightmare incursions--and it is leveraging this capacity you possess that you can be assured the Magistrate intends to engage with the present threat. It is very clear that the reason you're sought is to deal with the immediate threat of the incursion. Essentially, once you're assembled and called upon, we're liable to get right down to business with your first nightmare incursion right here in the town itself. At present, the most you might have gleaned from word of mouth is that the incursion apparently surfaced within a butcher's shop.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Placeholder for added materials.

We are joined initially by:

Macit Cypress, the Thief, played by Permotriassic
Shodana Khashayarsha, the Cultist, played by MinutePirateBug
Kasra Coriander, the Bard, played by tin can made man
Navid Nima, the Berserker, played by slydingdoor
Jad Amir, the Fighter, played by A Velociraptor!
Musad Sundown, the Fighter, played by Shogeton
Sister Reyhana, the Assassin, played by Ambivalent
Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi, the Scholar, played by Razeam
Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed, the Champion, played by Fraction Jackson.

Modifier reference:

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 28, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Navid
The berserker strolls over to the flagons, finds that they are empty, and shoots an annoyed shrug and scowl at his mercenary Azeem. Being late is one thing, perhaps excusable, but leaving no refreshments for those about to risk their lives is another. This Magistrate would learn to give adventurers their due.
C:9 D:13 F:16 H:14 I:6 W:13
AR:16 DP:3 SPD: 8 ENC:1/18

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 25, 2016

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra Coriander

Monsters in the forest, monsters in the slaughterhouse, monsters under the emir's bed, monsters in the well but only at midnight. Narkavrum was beset with monsters, in the streets and the mouths of its people. Kasra was on his way, already, when news came to him on the road. He was hoping to have gainful work under the sun and moon for half a season before returning to the depths, and figured the smog-choked journeymen and bored nobility of this steely city would be welcoming of a brassy tale or bronzed body. Perhaps unluckily, the usual catastrophe had reared in Narkavrum, and it wasn't long until he had been neatly rounded up and summoned to what looked more like a smuggler's den than a meeting hall of heroes.

Coriander is on the other side of the table as Navid inspects the flagons. The bard fingers the rim of each one, glancing in to confirm that yes, they were all depleted. "A shame," he exasperates in wilting tone, "I have a woman, here in the city who manages my finances and contacts in the region. I should have asked her to meet with this Magistrate and marshal some proper libations. Of course, I haven't paid her in some months, so perhaps the results would have been the same, and I ended up saving myself quite a bit of useless conversation." Kasra rolls his shoulders and slithers into a chair, wiping it of dust with the hem of his travelling robes before getting comfortable. "I am called Kasra and Coriander, one for my mother and one for the spice. Both came by ship from the west, and both have an acquired taste."

pre:
Kasra Coriander

Attributes
Charisma 17	(+2)
Dexterity 11	(+0)
Ferocity 10	(+0)
Health 9	(+0)
Intelligence 12	(+0)
Willpower 9	(+0)

Profession: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic

Social Class: -1
Motivation:
I must fight the nightmare incursions in order to get revenge on someone or something that assaulted me.

"There was a fellow Hero, on one of my most earliest of forays.  They were... unkind to me, and 
more than that I cannot say, I will not say.  I continue to be officially and dutifully Heroic
not only because it is honorable - which it is - and not only because it is profitable - which
it not always is - but, because I know they must still be out there.  Will I find myself banded
with them, once more, or will they be one of the twisted nightmare remnants skulking in the shadows?"

Accoutrements:
A bank note worth 14 cyphers
A dagger
A shoulder bag
A set of writing tools
A walking stick
A wineskin
A wheel of cheese
An innocous spellbook
A travel memoir
A random hireling (?)

Mastered Spells:
Fearlessness
Move Spell
Featherlight

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 28, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid
Navid shakes hands, "Acquired? I eat whatever is put before me, hah!" Conversation is all there is to divert him in this room, so he tells his story to any who have not yet heard. It helps him not to forget it.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

As The Khashayarshazadi entered the hall she saw two of the men she had personally sent invitations to earlier. While she wore the thin smile that had become as habitual as breathing, she was deeply sad and miserable. This hall reminded her of home. She wanted to be home, she wanted to be with her daughter and her husband. She wanted to be among her own folk, not these low life's. She was running around delivering messages like some slave or servant, this was not work for someone whose family name stretched back a millennia. The now was the only thing that mattered. She had to ingratiate herself with this scum or family would pay the price. Her smile lifted a bit.

"Ah if it isn't the "Great Hero" Kasra Coriander and the great warrior Navid Nima!" - she said with false exuberance. "I would speak of the Magistrate's business, but not all his guests have arrived. Ah perhaps we can occupy the time with something else? Mayhap's a game? Tell me warrior Nima, are you fond of tests of strength? Perhaps arm wrestling?". Win or lose it didn't matter, as long as she showed strength to this meat head. How would Kasra react? Did it matter? The magistrate would not have sent an invitation to him if he were completely useless unless he was coming along as cannon fodder. Still if acting like foo al impressed Nima and alienated Kasra it would be a worthwhile trade. Ah such petty schemes how she had fallen.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 25, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid
"What are the stakes?"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

"Hmmm" she slowly removes her silver dagger and places it on the table. "It is a decent enough weapon, if you wish it should fetch you a fine sum." "And for my prize? I would gladly have your trust as a worthy brother in our future ventures." She says with an exaggerated smile.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Nov 25, 2016

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid
"How about you give me the valuable dagger, I give you my trust, and we save our arm-strength for the nightmares? I might spare some for the Magistrate as well.
"Keep your dagger in fact, I would not deprive a comrade of their sidearm."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Khashayarshazadi
She puts her dagger away. She bows her head slightly and puts her hand on her forehead "Truly you are a worthy brother to give such a precious gift so freely."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 25, 2016

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana

With her arms crossed, she is in deep conversation with the servant who had been lighting the candles in the hall - a man named Hamid, who seems less encouraged by the arrival of the contracted men-and-women-at-arms, and more concerned that their arrival only confirms the fears of everyone in town - all the most awful rumors must be true if help has been sent.

Her conversation stops abruptly and her eyes dart sharply to the bey and the mercenary the instant a weapon is drawn. Recovering, she smiles to the man Hamid, "It means only that the Sultan recognizes the quality work done here in Narkavrum. I hear he is a prudent man, after all. It behooves him to look after a jewel in the south."

She points out for the man, "That one there, see on his shield, that is a noble house from Narang," she does not know if this is true - she simply had overheard that the man was a noble from Narang, "And that man, that is Kasra Coriander, you have heard of him, maybe." She had certainly heard of him, much of it from the man himself, several months back in Neth and again on the road here. "A man of no small renown. These are experienced people, if there is trouble, it will be found, surely."

If there's lit candles in the hall, I created an npc guy who is lighting them.

pre:
Sister Reyhana                           

Disposition:  3/16

Charisma:       8 (-1)
Dexterity:     14 (+1)
Ferocity:      13 (+1)
Health:        11 (+0)
Intelligence:  10 (+0)
Willpower:     12 (+0)

AR: 12 (10+level)

Social Class:  -2
Profession:    Assassin
Alignment:     Neutral
+1 to Surprise Rolls from Dex
+Lvl to Attack Rolls

Motive: 'You must fight the nightmare incursions because you made an oath or promise to do so.'

Equipment    
 A satchel
 A grappling hook
 A pouch containing twelve bones from left index fingertips
 One vial of holy water  
 An axe
 A garrote
 Another 50 ft. of Silk Rope
 121 ciphers
Appearance: A young woman who has worked a hard life, just into her 30's, with soft features and warm, mirthful eyes. She is a tailor, a cook and your schoolteacher, out amongst the struggling communities of Neth every day in simple clothing. She is typically sunny and good humored - someone who has learned that sermons rarely reach people as often as a pearl slipped between a joke and a helping hand. It takes some time to recognize the well-corded muscles and cautious eyes that would seem out of place to her lifestyle.
edit:

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 22, 2017

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
pre:
Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi                                 
Disposition:   3
Psychic Armor: 3

Charisma:      15 (+1)
Dexterity:     13 (+1)
Ferocity:      11 (+0)
Health:        10 (+0)
Intelligence:  14 (+1)
Willpower:     9 (+0)

Social Class:  +0
Profession:    Level 2 Scholar    
Alignment:     Lawful

Motive:        In order to uncover or bury a family secret

Spells:        Binding, Eldritch Darts, Voice of Command

Equipment    
 A dagger
 A hammer
 A dozen iron spikes
 A 2-person tent
 4 wooden stakes
 A set of scribe tools
 A lamellar cuirass
 Half a dozen torches in a sack
 A tinderbox
 Two scholarly books
 A small, innocuous spellbook
 A complete magical formulae of Featherlight
 A complete magical formulae of Bridge
 A complete magical formulae of Climbing
 A complete magical formulae of Charm Animals
 A complete magical formulae of Immobilize Person
 A complete magical formulae of Invisible Servant
Zarina Farhevar Rafhezadi

The scholar in lamellar armour enters the hall. She spends a moment taking in the scene before nodding at the seated trio. "Is that everyone—oh, no, I see now," her question dissipates once she notices Reyhana. The woman in her late twenties joins the majority with a wan smirk. "I see the problem," she mutters while rummaging through her pack. She produces a few bottles of wine and offers one to Kasra and the other to Navid. The smirk on her face waxes into a smile.

Razeam fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 21, 2018

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Jad Amir

News of Narkavrum's woes reached his ears whilst he already traveled down the Sultan's Highway, continuing his duty of selfless protection and personal duty of selfish training. He was already on his way to meet the challenge when, not long after first hearing of the troubles, he had been visited by a most curious woman employing him to help on behalf of Magistrate Vashti Rafhezadi along with a group of similar fellows. The grace of the woman's voice yet the coldness of her eyes made him suspicious, yet he could not deny a request from the Magistrate to lend his services, especially as he was already on his way to offer them willingly.

When his path eventually takes him into the town, in no time at all does he discover the rumour of the incursion and source of troubles is located beneath a butcher's shop. Fitting, he thinks, that the site of cut meat and fresh blood would be where the terrors of the deep can be found. But, alas, his first order of business before the fight can begin is to attend a drat meeting, where folks would talk instead of acting.

Entering the ruined stone hall, his steps cause the shield on his back to clank against his armour which announces his presence before even a word is said. Some faces he does not recognise, yet one he does; the woman who had come to him earlier. No doubt she is the Magistrate's agent which he is to meet with before his work can begin. With a nod to them all, he takes a seat of which he is grateful to rest his tired feet.

Some fun looks to be had between the other noticeable warrior and the bey, but it is sadly all over before his arse hits the seat.

To the young woman pointing at him and talking of his shield, he smiles. "You know your sigils, Miss." She must have been taught well, he muses. Or be quite worldly.

He taps his foot lightly, looking around the room and counting heads before addressing the bey. "How many more to arrive? I am eager to be about our work here."

pre:
Profession: Fighter
Alignment: Good
Social Class: +1

Motivation: 'In order to get revenge on someone or something that assaulted you.'

Disposition : 5

Charisma:       7 (-1)
Dexterity:      11
Ferocity:       13 (+1 from leveling)
Health:         13 (+1 from leveling)
Intelligence:   8 (-1)
Willpower:      8 (-1)

Equipment:
- 50 feet of silk rope
- Backpack
- Bastard sword
- Book - A simple notebook.
- A hand mirror 
- A jar of beard oil
- Manacles
- A shield = +1 Armour Rating
- A silver dagger
- A week of rations.
- Heavy armour (From Social Rank) = 15 Armour Rating
- Fancy Family Helmet (Heirloom) - A silver helmet with a gold band around the base, affixed with the symbol of his house; a silver arrow pointing down.

A Velociraptor! fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 22, 2017

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Her spectacularly colored iridescent armor gleams as it catches the candle light as she turns. "Ser Amir I am so sorry, I did not see you come in I was attempting to engage - our warrior friend here in a game of skill" - she motions to Navid Nima. She looks around quickly. "Oh it seems the Sister and our scholar are here. We can expect three more - all seasoned fighters and worthy brothers I assure you."

"Ah, I am forgetting myself, these fine gentleman" she gestures at brick hardmeat "Is the great warrior Navid Nima, and this" she waves at the fop "Is the "Great Hero" Kasra Coriander, I am sure you've heard of him before. This gentleman is Ser Jad Amir".

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 25, 2016

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra Coriander

A high, excited gasp escapes Kasra's lips when a vessel of wine is procured and placed in front of him. The bard eagerly draws it, admiring its shape and smiling at his benefactor. Two kisses are smacked wetly and primly into the empty air in front of Zarina, and Kasra flicks them towards her with his middle finger. "Is there any libation more blessed than wine? Grown from Divine's earthly bounty," he lifts the bottle from his sleeve, leaning it upright on the table, "Honed and fermented through mortal science," from his other sleeve, a dagger emerges to dig out the cork, "Prized by proletariat and shah alike, for the bodily joy it brings to both of them." The purple stream bubbles from bottle to flagon as Kasra pours.

He pushes the clay pitcher towards the others, leaning in his chair to dry the bottle's dregs with his lips. "Now all we need are olives, pita, perhaps some sharp cheese. Oh, but I suppose there is the matter of abomination and peril to attend to, before, no?" Kasra dramatically sighs, then turns to Amir's question, "Five is the traditional number, in my experience. But our hostess," he nods towards Shodana, "seems restless, still. There are others to come, I expect. This incursion must be large, either in reality or in the mind of the magistrate."

When she confirms it, he nods. "You all do me too kind of obeisance. I am no 'Great' Hero, simply one of some seasoning. I am not the only one here well-travelled into the Nightmare, I wager," his eye lingers on the quiet Sister, whose quiet and Sisterly qualities had aroused his interest and suspicion since they had first met, "Just simply the one who talks the most and loudest."

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 25, 2016

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

"Such modesty, you are quite the worthy gentleman" . The Khashayarshazadi follows Kasra's gaze. "Have you met our good abbess, the Sister Reyhana?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Reza Shadhevar Shahwaleed

"You will find, I think," says Reza from the entryway, interrupting, "that tradition merely informs the Law, and is not the whole of it." He held his helmet under one arm - a delicately fashioned thing, with little geometric patterns playing out over its surface. Without the distinguished headgear, it is clear that his dark, curly hair is slick from hours of travel. Nothing in his voice, though, shows fatigue; and his eyes are bright.

With deliberate steps he walks through the hall, looking at the assembled. An odd group, to be sure, and not made less odd by his own presence. He recognizes several already, as he is sure they in turn know him, or at least his family's name. "And this is not the most traditional collection so far, I would say," remarks Reza as he finds a spot on a bench to sit. There are great works to be done in the name of the Prophets and the Law to be sure, with this entourage, it is plain to him, for when else would such stories intersect?

"But then, for all walks to come together in the service of our great society: fitting, is it not so?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Why does a man throw himself into a life of horror and pain?

Does he do it because it is the only way to survive? Such was not Musad's reason. His clan might be gone, but the Desert people frequently intermarried, and he could have found another clan to adopt him.

Does he do it out of duty, righteousness and kindness? Such was not Musad's way. He was not unkind or cruel, but when he fought, not once did he think of the people he saved.

Does he do it out of anger and vengeance? Now, one was closer. For it was true, that anger burned in the man's heart, far more than greed, far more than kindness. He sought out the nightmares with great zeal. But such was not the extend of his anger. It is part of the reason, but only a part. The full measure encompasses more. One should look at the other anger.

Not the anger at his chief who led his clan into its demise. For while Musad didn't often visit him where he was kept, enough of the coin made its way to the nuns who kept him there that he could live in relative comfort for one whose mind was gone.

Not the anger at the keepers of the Law who had told his chief to forego superstitions. For while Musad had bitterness in his eyes when he looked at the compass he wore, he yet used it, and still by and large respected the Law.

The anger Musad held towards himself. Now there you will find the other half of the explanation. For the Nightmares had wiped out his clan, yet Musad had fled. And while no court would condemn a man, especially one that had managed to save another, no court under the sun can be as harsh as a man's own heart. And no scholar or bey, no priest or emir, no Sultan or Prophet can over turn its judgement. And so even in victory, true joy would be denied to unhappy Musad. For only half the guilty party would find punishment. And his heart, with cruelty that would be damning should it be unleashed on his fellow man, did echo the desperate screams of his kin when a moment of silence would be had. And where the light of day had failed to let him see those closest to him fall, imagination was an eager accomplice in delivering the self-imposed penance.

Indeed, one might say that if not for his burning hatred for the shadows, might he not have taken up the roll as executioner rather than judge. But Nightmares still endured, and thus, so must he.

And thus, when the noble had spoken to him, and told him that there was vengeance to be had. He had simply, with curtness bordering on disrespect to one so elevator toward him, asked where they should meet. And when he arrived, his face was grim, his eyes looking around. "I'm here." He stated simply. "I'm Musad Sundown." He looked around. "Are we all gathered here to kill nightmares?"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shoran's armor

The Bey claps her hands together, her gauntlets tied to her belt clunk together in an awkward yet rhythmic fashion, as she pivots to the new entrants.

Well honed in battlefield skirmishes and through court room antics her voice booms and projects through the room “My fair brothers and sisters, may I announce the entry of our brothers in arms, Reza Shadhevar of the illustrious Shahwaleed family and the warrior Musad Sundown - whose presence amongst us is a reminder of why our mission here is of paramount, importance” -internally she winced at using Musad’s tragedy as some trite rallying cry, it was not in good taste. But her role at this moment as petty demagogue was born not from personal desire but need - these miscreants needed to be molded into something lethal and effective.

Her arms sweep the room addressing the assembled crowd “We fine brothers and sisters are truly a microcosm of mankind - as our illustrious brother Reza says - such a gathering cannot help but be in accord with the wishes of the Divine. For we represent the bulwark of mankind - gathered here today to fight and prevail against the enemies of mankind the nightmares. I exhort you to put aside all prejudice of race, creed, and class in our mission for here we are all brothers and sisters united!” Maybe this garbage would feed their souls it certainly did not feed hers - for what she saw assembled was the cannon fodder of mankind, the broken, the delusional, the criminal - sent into the grinding maw that resembled the aspects of her god - supremely ambivalent and powerful, and sublime in its terror and cruelty.

She lowers the volume of her voice slightly.
“And now we merely await Macit Cypress. Who knows perhaps the sly fellow is here already hiding behind some divan or the tea service cabinet .” she chuckles slightly

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid
The berserker yawns, "Talk is cheap, after such inflation doubly so. Of course we will work together, otherwise we will die. Why would you think otherwise?"

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana

They bey's words are good words but for some reason don't come as all that much comfort. Perhaps it is the armor. She excuses herself at the tail of their host's address to go assist Hamid in fetching more cups for the wine, coming back to settle amongst Musad, Kasra and the others. Cheerfully, as she takes a cup for herself, she agrees with Navid, "The prophet Ballam once said the only thing that can redeem mankind is cooperation. Now, drink." Hastily, "The last part is mine, not his."

actually it was Bertrand Russell

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

She reddens a bit and chews her bottom lip after Kasra receives the bottle of wine. Zarina is quiet until Reyhana's quote. "The prophet Ballam… oh! Um, yes," she suddenly chatters, resting her palms on the nearby table. Zarina clears her throat and then asks, "Has anyone heard any details about this trouble at the butcher's shop?"

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Kasra

"Funny, I've heard the same sentiment, with 'cooperation' and 'drink' reversed." Coriander smirks, then looks towards Zarina, "The road is busy with talk of a warren of abberations 'neath some meatmarket. At first, I had assumed it was merely some slander against its poor proprietor, and that he had sold a shank of festered lamb to the wrong mercantile. But, of course, were that the case, we would all be scattered about the city rather than sitting here discussing it." The bard furrows his lips in concern, "The tales of nightmare beasts grow more lurid and deadly the closer one comes on the trail to the city, when it is usually the opposite. I'm afraid this incursion is quite real, and quite formidable."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

"Your welcome is-" he stops mid-sentence as he replies to the Bey, considers a moment, then simply says: "...well, most welcome, Bey, and thank you. Yet I would rather that our people and our lands were in such shape that the Law could be maintained without such bands as ours."

With drawn lips and slow words, Reza says: "I think I have seen a few of you before. And a few I have not. This does not matter." He looks around the room another time. "I am suspecting that not all of us here revere the Law properly, just by odds. This does not matter either, for now. What does matter is this: no matter the reasons we all believe we are here to fulfill, we all serve it nonetheless. The Divine does not always work in the ways we expect, and we have been brought here, no matter our thoughts, to preserve the Law that saves us. This is the foundation."

To Reyhana, he says simply: "Not the only thing, but it is one thing. The Law is indeed strongest when the people are as one." He plunks his helmet down on the table, the weight sending a slight tremor through, and he looks to Kasra. And nods. "Whatever else you may believe, you see this moment rightly, I think. No, we would not be here for anything less, is it not so?"

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Navid
Navid drinks deeply, as if the wine wronged him. He points at Kasra with his flagon, emptied again, "The rotten lamb shank probably will feature in the nightmare incursion, coming out of a butcher shop as it is. All the more reason to fortify ourselves now. Odor masks may be in order.

"Reza, hater of beasts, I imagine you would hate the smell of their flesh the most of all of us."

Permotriassic
May 29, 2007

Feed me and tell me I'm pretty
Macit Cypress

Macit enters the hall and closes the door quietly behind him. Even in a crowd some habits cannot be unlearned. He looks around at the assembled company in the hall, tapping dust from his shoes on the door. "It would appear that I am late," he says deliberately, his voice lightly muffled by his mask and his eyes scanning the room, "I hope I haven't held anything up, my friends." It was clear he hadn't. It was quite a gathering, wine and conversation flowing freely already. After being mostly solitary for so long, he was unused to such a party. He recognized some of them, it was hard in his line of work not to hear some things about people. Fences have surprisingly open mouths when you're a good supplier. The rest he could make some guesses about. Most importantly, they all looked competent in their own way. Maybe that meant that they wouldn't all die in the Nightmare. The thought lifted his heart.

He found himself a seat at the table and lowered his mask, helping himself to a glass of wine and giving a tight-lipped smile to the rest of the guests. "If I am the last, then shall we get to business?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Musad Sundown

Musad sits down, though the wine is refused. To drink it would dull the pain, and he might start to become dependent on it. Over the years he'd seen men who had sought comfort for misery in the spirits, and many of them would soon find themselves drowning in drink and misery both.

He remained silent for a while. It had been some time since he had sought out companionship. Never had the man been a man of great charm, yet the look in his eyes did disinvite those who sought to offer him solace. Even now, part of him rejected the idea of finding these companions. New people to let down, an evil thought said. Already replacing your old friends. Whispered another. Yet their ill council was not heeded, for his hatred of the Nigthmares demanded he strike them in their very rotten hearts, rather than hope to track down a desperate escapee here and there.

He did listen to the Bey's declaration, and thought on it, then spoke. "If I might ask, Bey. If we put aside 'prejudice of class', does that mean you are not in command when we go down there?" Again, the question was somewhat blunt, and the man's language was rough, clearly not used to some of the finer language used.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

"Splendid our final companion has finally arrived. Hamid would you please inform the magistrate's man that all the guests have arrived?" She turns to Musad. She pours herself a glass of wine as she speaks "If the party wishes to choose another to lead, that is their prerogative. But I humbly proffer my services as a battle leader, besides the position of administrator I have been the commander of the Citadel's military forces for nearly thirty years and we have had to deal with our fair share of bandits as well as, ah, - less wholesome creatures- coming from the dead province of Shahrazar."

She looks him straight in the eyes, maintaining her smile. "Would you say that you should be the one to lead this fine company into the depths of the abyss - I trust all our lives would be safe in your hands, if you were to say so." she says with a subtle coldness in her voice.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 26, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

"It is not the smell of such things that I find to be distasteful the most; it is simply the mere affront to all built by the hands and minds of those with Reason," is Reza's methodical reply to Navid, shaking his head at first. "The rest is simply added atop the initial injustice. And so we shall all find our own pretext for the burden we must all take upon ourselves." As he had, so they all would too, in whatever way made sense to them. Whatever this lot had been before, now they would be an instrument of the Divine, whether they thought of it that way or not. In the end there was only one thing that could save the lot of them, and he knew quite well what it was.

The arrival of one other - the last, if they were to be believed - gets a measured, thoughtful look. "Late or otherwise, we still await our audience and those who have charged us with this journey, I am thinking. Business has not yet been addressed, and with the will of the Divine your precise time of arrival was both ordained and fortuitous." And as the Bey announces, he nods. "And so perhaps it is."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

He didn't match her gaze for long at that remark, lowering his eyes. Perhaps the last of the Sunset Chasers might match her blade for blade in a fair contest, but when it came to a social contest, one who has survived the ruthlessness of court politics had him helpless as a child. A strike straight at the bleeding wound. "I wasn't suggesting anyone, least of all myself. Just wanted to get the question out there so we know whose lead to follow." he said defensively.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Seemed the zealot's hatred of beasts was all theory for now. There was talk of egalitarianism but also nominating a leader, and Navid spoke his own opinion, "I say we let a leader rise to the top instead of picking them blind. Soon, when it truly matters, we will know who we like to listen to. With any luck, they will even survive!"

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

She tilts her head at Navid Nima " So the strong shall survive, and the weak shall perish? This is a Lawful company Navid, we do not throw our weakest to monstrosities. I would appeal to my fellow students of history here - how many armies have marched headless into battle? What organization governed by anarchy is not doomed to failure?."

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 26, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Musad Sundown

"I agree. If we charge, we need to charge together. If we retreat, we need to retreat together. If everyone decides for themselves who they will follow or if they perhaps should be a leader, we'll get split apart and killed. Not just the weak. Everyone. I'm not saying we should consider ourselves subject, or that that person has absolute rule over us. But when we go in battle, we need one person we all know makes the call."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana

She keeps quiet throughout the discussion, looking down into her cup, bemused by the whole exchange, lamenting to the others who have thus far opted out, "It would seem our prejudices are less eager to abandon us than we are them."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Narkavrum - Old Hall

With the last of the arrivals seeming to come, it is only a short while longer before another man enters the derelict hall--an older fellow adorned with a red keffiyeh and tawny thawb adorned with the mark of the Magistrate's attendants. His beard graying but neatly trimmed, the attendant's eyes dart briskly over those assembled in the hall before falling to Shodana as he nods to himself. "Ten. Ten... should suffice." Nearer to Navid, Azeem straightens from a lean, attention stirred with a break in the wait.

Moving along the side of the table, the Magistrate's attendant steps to the bey nearer its opposite head, dipping his head in a bow. "I am Kamran Farduzan, attendant to Magistrate Vashti Rafhezadi; she has sent me to bid you come once you are prepared." Glancing toward the others, he resumes addressing the noblewoman. "We have posted guards at the street and alleys, to keep strays from nearing the site." He whets his lips then, eyes flitting anxiously. "Five were sent before you two days passed. They did not return." After a pause, Kamran dips his head again, before gesturing to those assembled. "If you are ready, there is little time to waste. I can lead you there myself."

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Shodana stands and gives a slight bow "As you say Farduzan we are eager for action let us not waste time." She gathers her things and moves to Farduzan's side. " You can inform us of the tactical situation as we walk."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

"Azeem my friend, guard the entrance and I will see you again when I make my way out."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Reyhana

She looks around to the others and discretely puts her cup to her lips and downs all the remains of her wine in one long draw. It would be rude to the scholar to forego her gift. The sister stands and hefts a coarse, cheaply woven brown bag over her shoulder, with just the smallest smile as if she were going to market, and not into an otherworldly portal. Her weight shifts from foot to foot - other fidgeting all betrays her anxiousness, "Time for an honest day's work, then."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
Zarina

She stands up straight while looking askance at Kamran. "Ten should suffice, hmm?" Zarina murmurs, her dark eyes flitting between signs of his anxiety. She secures her gear and follows them from behind, gaze still on their guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

As she walks she talks:
"My apologies Kamran, you have guards on site correct? Half my soldiers are unarmored. I need your guards to loan my soldiers some armor, boiled leather would do(light armor) and at least three sets."
Shodana gestures at the unarmored forms of, Sister Reyhana, Kasra Coriander, and Musa Sundown. "We can return the armor after we have faced the nightmares."

"Also you say the incursion has being going on for two days? Surely you have had night sentries, we will need a loan of torches or preferably lanterns and oil - any source of light - if you have them on hand at the site. Everything can be returned after the battle, but if you lend us support us we can more easily rid this evil from the city. "

<mpb> !roll 2d6+1 # charisma check with +1 social modifier attempting to acquire armor for comrades
* LawBot rolled 2d6+1 for mpb and got 8
<mpb> !roll 1d20 # charisma check target is 10 armor acquisition, (just in case)
* LawBot rolled 1d20 for mpb and got 18

"If you could have a physician waiting for us - once we emerge, or at least some boiling water and clean rags, that would be useful. Or failing that just give us accurate instructions to the nearest physician."

• Locked thread