Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Oi mates, welcome to the GDT for UFC Fight Night 101: Whittaker vs. Brunson, 10 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 26 on Fox Sports 1!

We’re in the home stretch leading up to Christmas, and more importantly for fight fans, the UFC’s flagship NY Weekend card (and probably some Japanese torchbearers keeping the NYE Pride tradition alive in some terrible, shameful way to be streamed on the internet at 5 a.m.) However, though we’re already well past the various Thanksgiving celebrations observed here in North America, I still feel it is important to take some time to express gratitude every now and then, in this bleak year of tragic politics and accidentally exposing yourself as an anal cum slut on twitter.

First and foremost, I’d like to thank you all for laughing at my OPs. I am glad so many of you enjoy them, and appreciate the opportunity to write for fun again.

OK, now that I’ve gotten that stupid poo poo out of the way, let’s talk about fights. Fighters are people, too, and as such, most of them are grateful for something or another this year, even if they’re ending 2016 on a kind of lackluster Oceania-market fight card. Let’s take a look at what they’re (probably) going to be thankful for at their post-weigh-in celebratory dinners.

Middleweight

Robert Whittaker
Most thankful for: Finally moving up to middleweight

vs.

Derek Brunson
Most thankful for: Lorenz Larkin moving down to welterweight so people stop getting them mixed up with each other

Robert Whittaker is an extremely Australian young hotshot who won the weirdly named “TUF: Smashes” as a welterweight, before going on a really shaky and chinny run in that division. It was not without its merits, as beginning the streak that banished Colton Smith from the UFC has earned Whittaker most goons’ permanent respect, and a TKO loss to Stephen Thompson is in retrospect not shameful at all. However, you also shouldn’t be dropping split decisions to Court McGee, so Whittaker made the move up to middleweight. He’s looked surprisingly good there, picking up back-to-back bonuses against Clint Hester and Brad Tavares, who are not great names but are fairly durable. He’s the kind of fighter who very realistically could have derailed Michael Bisping’s rise to the title had that fight actually happened as scheduled, and a win over Brunson will likely establish himself as a deserving mainstay for the foreseeable future of the middleweight top 10.

Brunson came to the UFC as part of the Strikeforce merger, and has since carved out a respectable niche for himself as the quintessential MMA Renaissance Period style of “wrestler who knows Falcon Punch.” He got demolished fairly early on by Yoel Romero, but that is the only blemish in his UFC record and is currently on a four-fight TKO streak that includes names like Sam Alvey and Uriah Hall. He should be a tall order for Whittaker and this fight should be fireworks. Which is good, because the card needs it.

Lightweight

Jake Matthews
Most thankful for: Getting some guy without a wikipedia page after being brutally owned by Kevin Lee, so he can actually win a fight and look good, hopefully

vs.

Andrew Holbrook
Most thankful for: Two judges getting it wrong against Ramsey loving Nijem so he can claim to have a win in the UFC

Jake Matthews is a fighter I had high hopes for and has routinely gotten derailed or had somewhat disappointing performances interspersed between exciting fights. The Aussie is only 22, however, and his two losses are to James Vick and Kevin Lee, who are shaping up to actually be pretty good, (tragically so in Vick’s case.) An extremely forgettable, wikiless guy like Holbrook should be the exact right level for him to get a fun submission, unless his tartan shorts were the true source of his power, in which case the drat Reebok deal got another one.

Andrew Holbrook is 1-1 in the UFC. I have seen both of his fights and cannot remember him unless I check his Sherdog page. He should get beat up pretty badly here, unless we’ve all way overrated Matthews.

Welterweight

Kyle Noke
Most thankful for: Not being on bodyguard duty Sept. 4, 2006

vs.

Omari Akhmedov
Most grateful for: Still being in the UFC after a two-fight skid to Sergio Moraes and someone whose nickname is an ineffective Brazilian dance-fighting style

TUF 4 alum Kyle Noke is an old man and he’s not very good. He’s good enough to beat the people they bring in for him to beat in front of the home crowd, but he’s not good enough to beat the people they bring in for him to beat in front of the home crowd at the same time. Yes, Chris Camozzi really is that lovely. The former bodyguard to the Crocodile Hunter has the means to finish in a lot of different ways, so long as his opponent really doesn’t feel like winning that day. At 36 years of age, on a two-fight losing streak to unranked scrubs and with a two-year window earlier this decade where he didn’t fight at all due to injury, any given fight could very well be his last, so if you’re feeling nostalgic it’d be good to tune in here.

Omari Akhmedov is also pretty bad, but the last guy to beat Noke also has a loss to Capoeira Zaleski dos Santos, so :shrug:

Featherweight

Yusuke Kasuya

vs.

Alex Volkanovski
Both most thankful for: Somehow landing on the main card of this FS1 event so they can possibly trick people into learning who they are, (even though it won’t work)

Sherdog reminds me that Yusuke Kasuya has a loss to Nick Hein, which makes him at least as good as my favorite fighter of all time Drew Dober. He’s got some fights in the Japanese circuit with a lot of wins by submission, so expect him to be a traditional jiujitsu guy with weird submissions who is completely worthless off of his back.

Alex “the Hulk” Volkanovski is making his UFC debut on the tide of a 10-fight win streak over people you’ve never heard of. It looks like he’s got a high finishing rate of both KOs and varied submissions, so hopefully this one will be cool.

Light heavyweight

Tyson Pedro
Most thankful for: Green bean casserole

vs.

Khalil Rountree
Most thankful for: Mashed potatoes and turkey gravy

Tyson Pedro looks great after his doctor made him stop doing all of those terrible eating contests on Man vs. Food.

I remember Khalil Rountree, only because I think his name is kind of cool. Unfortunately that means I remember how loving terrible he looked in his lone UFC fight against Andrew Sanchez.

Women’s Strawweight

Seo Hee Ham
Most thankful for: Wanderlei Silva

vs.

Danielle Taylor
Most thankful for: Getting someone worse than Maryna Moroz this time

Seo Hee Ham is called Hamderlei due to the comparisons between her fighting style and the Axe Murderer’s. While I think there are other women fighters who are more similar to that traditional Brazilian style of spamming ugly hooks and abusing steroids, it is not entirely without merit. She had a pretty strong run as an atomweight in other promotions, but unfortunately she has to come 10 pounds up to make a weight that exists in the UFC, and as a result she’s 1-2 and routinely outsized. Danielle Taylor isn’t particularly gifted so this should be a good level of competition for her, but I’m personally more interested in seeing her take fights against ladies like the Karate Hottie.

Danielle Taylor is a homegrown King of the Cage fighter, which probably says a lot more than any sarcastic gibes I could write.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

FS1 Prelims, 8 p.m. ET
Middleweight Dan Kelly vs. Chris Camozzi, who is thankful he doesn’t have to fight the Bad Crocodile Man again
Lightweight Damien Brown vs. Jon Tuck
Welterweight Richard Walsh vs. Jonathan Meunier
:siren: Flyweight Ben Nguyen vs. Geane Herrera :siren:

Fight Pass Prelims, 6:30 p.m. ET
Featherweight Dan Hooker vs. Jason Knight
Featherweight Marlon Vera vs. Ning Guangyou
Flyweight Yao Zhikui vs. Jenel Lausa

Official MMA snack rating: A vegemite sandwich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s

And don’t forget about goonweight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Khalil is still under contract? Weird.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Grandmaster.flv posted:

Khalil is still under contract? Weird.

They usually give TUF runner-ups a second chance

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As one of several Australian MMA followers here - literally no one cares about this card. And eating a hot turkey lunch in the middle of a heat wave summer is not fun.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bluedeanie posted:

Middleweight Dan Kelly vs. Chris Camozzi, who is thankful he doesn’t have to fight the Bad Crocodile Man again

:classiclol:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Dan Kelly

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Dadbod Dan Kelly should be main eventing

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I miss Steve Irwin.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Good luck to Ham against Mighty Mouse

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Is this Dadbod's first fight since he merked Shoeface?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
a card where i vaguely recognise two fighters. excellent.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Chris Camozzi continues his run of "I know I have seen fight, hell watched him lose twice to Jacare, and still have absolutely no memory of what he looks like or what he does."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

He always looks like he think's he's dreadfully out of his depth.

I mean, he usually is, but.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Should be a fun show

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Flew into Melbourne for this. First live event, hoping to see some nobodies hurt each other!

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I can't believe anyone would fly anywhere for this card but Aussies are a strange folk.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

This fight card apparently has custom short ads?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The shorts have TAB adverts on them? Haha. That's a wierd touch.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lorenzo's kid just got ejected from the ND game for targeting

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Chinese dude is loving tough

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lorenzo's kid just got ejected from the ND game for targeting

Is he good?

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

This fuckin hick has an entire Psalm tattooed on his right side.

The Watch
Feb 10, 2014

He won't see the sun again for years to come...

He's posting on Something Awful
Megamarm
I remember this guy Knight from a real good fight on the prelims of some card a few months ago, looking forward to seeing him again

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Both these guys seem huge for featherweight.

tardsteak
Jul 26, 2007

You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.
Lmao Jason Knight's from my hometown, run into him at Walmart occasionally.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Like a drunk driver in a car wreck is possibly the worst analogy I've ever heard.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

30 - 26? What the gently caress

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hell yeah ben 10

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I wonder if fighters get a taste of this TAB advertising money since they're all wearing it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Le Saboteur posted:

I wonder if fighters get a taste of this TAB advertising money since they're all wearing it.

You know the answer.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That's a fuckin dick move.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I was about to say Nguyen's got some good kicks then the dick kick.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

It wasn't so much a dick kick as it grazed the cup on the way up and pulled it up.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This fight is cool. Ben10's doin some Cruz moves ftw.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
man hererra's got a chin. ben hits hard.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

So if Herraras mouth guard is double sided? What if his nose breaks how is he going to breath?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Man Herrera is tough.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Ben is owning this dude. Fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Ben is cool