Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
"Your apartment was false Pete, but luckily I found another so I think you owe me. I got a great idea for how you can pay me back though."

Pete looks at you, immediately sizing up your clothes and your face.

"Well now, I say we work this out and you tell me what motherlode you've stumbled onto..."

Big choice here, both with ups and downs...

A) Tell Pete every detail of what happened, hoping to give him insight and a second set of eyes.

B) Keep out all the details that aren't needed, just focus on the fact you think you know where a ton of rich people will be in a secluded area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
B Only what he needs to know.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

This one's a biggie, I'll wait for some more votes.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
B 100% on board with manipulating people to their fishy doom. Hey, maybe we'll get along with the locals!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A

He's untrustworthy, but he's our kind of untrustworthy. We took precautions, we can deal him in.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
A

If we're doing this Innsmouth thing, we should do it with as much preparedness as possible.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

I need a tie breaker!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You spill your guts to Pete, telling him everything you've seen and you went through. His eyes widen, like a dog eyeing a steak trying to figure out what he needs to do to get there.

"Do you have any idea how valuable this is?"

He looks at your angry stare-answer.

"I mean of course you do, but this is something big. This is a chance to really shine. That much money and power in one place, this could be our ticket Jack!"

You smile and grab your chin, the possibilities seemingly endless.

Pete turns himself a full circle looking to the sky.

"Let's stick to our strengths. You're smarter than me, I know that. I don't know what happened to let you fall into this lot with me, other than the ravages of capitalism-"

That screening of Battleship Potemkin is still on his mind.

"But whatever it is this is our chance and I don't want to blow it. Now I'm big and I can fix things, but you're smart and you know how to talk to those kinds of people more than I ever could."

He slumps against a nearby railing and tips his hat.

"What's the angle? What do you think we should do?"

A) Deliver all but one of the letters, and go as an impostor, striking up a business deal to con them.

B) Deliver all the letters you can, then show up and rob them/their cars.

C) Don't deliver any letters and just show up at the location and case the joint. Rich people don't show up to poor places. Find out who the hosts are.

D) Stir the pot just to gently caress with the rich. Hand off the invitations to a reporter.

E) Wildcard - Whatever you want

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
C, they're tamper-proof and tampered with. Case the joint.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I thought we only tampered with one letter and looked at the others with light to get the names. A is still viable

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Also, as a smart individual based on the actual message, we should check out a few things beforehand:

1) our mark if we are going to imposter him, this master William Vanderbilt the 2nd guy. Is he our age? Vague resemblence?
2) Based on the message being so curt and impersonal, this is likely not the first time these rich people have all gotten together. Have they gathered at Innsmouth before? Maybe some nosy reporter caught wind of it once. We should check out the library and see what makes Innsmouth so special to all these socialites to warrant getting a key and 3 line message to go there.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Also, as a smart individual based on the actual message, we should check out a few things beforehand:

1) our mark if we are going to imposter him, this master William Vanderbilt the 2nd guy. Is he our age? Vague resemblence?
2) Based on the message being so curt and impersonal, this is likely not the first time these rich people have all gotten together. Have they gathered at Innsmouth before? Maybe some nosy reporter caught wind of it once. We should check out the library and see what makes Innsmouth so special to all these socialites to warrant getting a key and 3 line message to go there.

If we are planning on delivering the letters, we should do so promptly. The meeting is tomorrow and the original guy seemed in a hurry, it would probably already be suspicious (there was the call already).

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

C is arguably safer, but A has a better potential payoff.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

C You take an easy score when it comes up and cheese it when the heat is on. Don't invite too much trouble, since the rich and powerful are the biggest, most dangerous crooks around, whereas I'm just trying to keep fed and some nice shoes.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

C. Bonus points if we can cobble together the appearance of someone from a public department that would have cause to be there uninvited.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
C

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"We have the advantage of surprise here. No way these people are all meeting in one place and it's not full of opportunity just on its own. Likewise, just knowing all those addresses opens opportunity as well."

A gunshot goes off and people begin cheering. Horses bolt out of their cage running one after the other, their riders almost inconsequential.

"Well that's not a half bad plan."

He strokes his beard.

"Not bad at all."

He throws the half eaten apple in his pocket out.

"So what should we do? Find a train? Find a car?"

A) Lets jump a boxcar and hitch a ride like we always do. (Free but with risks)

B) I got money, lets get our own seats (-$11.00)

C) Lets go shopping first and buy some supplies

D) Let's find a ride in Chinatown that can take us straight there. (-$30)

E) Other

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

dont be mean to me posted:

C. Bonus points if we can cobble together the appearance of someone from a public department that would have cause to be there uninvited.

Seeing as how it was still applicable verbatim.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C. Accessorise, dahling!

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You go shopping first, making sure to try and play the part. You buy a suit for 24.95, something nice that works well, Pete gets one too. (- 49.90). You make sure to buy some very official looking work supplies (5.00).

You find your way to Honest Joes, second time in a day.

Label anything you want to buy:

A) Badge from the Bureau of Investigation (22.00) - Works anywhere, but it'll definitely attract attention and potentially make people hostile.

B) Badge from Massachusetts State Police (10.00) - Works only in MA, could arouse suspicion but less likely to make people as worried as an FBI badge.

C) Go back and grab the .38 in the apartment (Free)

D) Pick up a Smith & Wesson .45 revolver, much better (30.00)

E) Buy a large knife (2.00)

F) Wildcard, tell me what you'd like to buy.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B,C,D,E,F.

F is an elephant gun. Lock and load.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
B, C, D, E, and F.

F) A Breaking and Entering Kit, which includes such useful items as (and not limited to):

1) Lockpicks
2) Prybar
3) Flashlight
4) Thin Leather Gloves
5) Ski-Mask
6) Burlap Sack
7) Hand Drill
8) Hacksaw

Its Innsmouth, we're going to need all of this and more just to make it to the 'final reveal'.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

You're all going overboard and getting jittery for no reason. We already spent 50 of our last 100 haul. If we score big, great, but we should at least drink a good bit of this cash we've got. Innsmouth is just another poo poo town for people who can't handle the hustle of the city.

B

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You buy a fake Massachusetts State Police badge and hunt out the 38. You load it but leave the rest, and wear the holster, gotta look like a cop right?

You and Pete sneak off, how do you want to get to Innsmouth?

A) Hop a train, go on the cheap.

B) Pay for train tickets -$16

C) Take a bus in China Town - $8

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
A) Hop a Train

Might as well be discreet and avoid public places, i.e, people who can ID you later.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
B.

Two well-dressed men hopping a boxcar with the hobos would look mighty strange to anyone who does see.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 9, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

With just over 72 dollars left to your name (100 from selling stuff, 48 from the safe, against all expenses) you sit in the boxcar waiting for the train to move. Pete shifts around uncomfortably, he's not used to being this legit on a train and he now gets the appeal.

quote:

Inventory
Suit
38 with 6 rounds loaded
Massachusetts State Police Badge
$72.10

"ALLLLLLLLLLL ABOARD"

The leftovers begin to pile in and everyone almost simultaneously opens a paper. These are important people doing important things, you need to look the part. Pete seems restless though and wants to talk.

"So listen, I'm not one to judge, you know that, and the reality is you don't owe me nothin'"

He takes a long look at you.

"But we are going to be thick on this and I want to know how a guy like you ends up here. No judgements again. I got the ole sh' shock that makes me a bit hard to deal with at times and that's my burden, but what about you? You're smart and seem so focused. Seems odd a guy like you would be living this life."

A) "Well believe it or not I was in the war too, but all this focus is facade. I spend every moment trying not to sleep and regretting it when I do. I've had jobs, but if I hold them down for any amount of time eventually I fall asleep at work..sometimes I'm a bit too eager for violence too. I get in that place where I'm back there and everything just turns red."

B) "I drink. A lot. I'm not proud of it or anything but it's the only way I can stay...normal...If that's what this is. I was a blue blood believe it or not, thought I'd be a writer one day. I had a proper education and everything. When the state started cracking down on booze, I ended up getting caught one too many times for my parents to protect me and they disowned me. I never actually had to worry about having money on my person so all I had were the clothes on my back. I was in Boston and I assumed I could get a new start in New York City and I've been trying ever since."

C) "I lived out in farm country in Ohio where I grew up. My father ran a boxing club that I helped him with for years and that place was just amazing to me. I wanted to be just like him. Life was good for the most part, but, uh, I was a bit too familiar with the wrong judges daughter and he didn't take too kindly to it. At one point he and his bailiff decided to teach me a lesson on my farm but I got a few good hits in and ran off before they could do anything about it. Now there's a warrant out for me so I try to stay off the grid."

D) "There's a hundred million people living in this country. You know that? Well that means that there's 100 people at least who have one in a million bad luck. I'm pretty sure that's just the boat I'm in. My parents died when I was 5. The orphanage I lived in burnt down when I was 14. I ended up not being able to get a real schoolin' and instead being forced on an awful sharecropper program in West Virginia. By the time I was able to actually have any control of my life my boss stole all my money, and I walked here on foot. That seems to be changing now though."

E) "I grew up in Georgia, some real backwoods stuff. My family lived in a 10 by 10 shack with a broken and tilted stove that would catch the floor on fire on cold nights. One day I'm 13 and just fed up with everything, and I decide I'm going to make my own life. I ran away to the circus looking for work and found it. I saved up some money after a few years and left, hopped a train north, and I haven't regretted a thing since."

F) Try to change the subject.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
B seems appropriate. Such a smart guy who's down and out, in this era, could definitely be a prohibition burnout.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
F "It is odd, isn't it? I'd like to hear your theories."

Changing the subject by refocusing the question so he doesn't get the impression we're trying to fob him off.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
B

Being dragged down by the anchor of addiction fits right with the setting and direction of this story.

If he thought he drank before, wooooo boy, wait till he gets to where he's going.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

"I drink. A lot. I'm not proud of it or anything but it's the only way I can stay...normal...If that's what this is. I was a blue blood believe it or not, thought I'd be a writer one day. I had a proper education and everything. When the state started cracking down on booze, I ended up getting caught one too many times for my parents to protect me and they disowned me. I never actually had to worry about having money on my person so all I had were the clothes on my back. I was in Boston and I assumed I could get a new start in New York City and I've been trying ever since."

"Wow...I'm sorry you have to deal with that..."

Pete's face turns uncharacteristically sad as he feels bad for you.

You pat him on the shoulder. "Thanks Pete. You're good people."

Gained: Alcoholism, Classics, and Research

"Well, let me tell you my beginnings-"

Pete is an amazing storyteller, though brevity is not his strong suit. For hours he regales you with him starting life as an orphan to his recruitment and time in the war. He talks about digging trenches and arriving to scenes where men who died en masse, twisted by gas and mortars. He wasn't the most eloquent man but you understood what he was saying and more importantly you felt it.

You arrive to Boston and the train parks for 30 minutes. People switch on and off, carts go up and down the aisle selling magazines and papers.

Innsmouth is next on the ride, and it's not a long one. The stop is much shorter, five minutes to get your things and go.

Off the train you find the platform. You have an invitation with the address marked on it.

The train station rests deep in a thick fog. This is pretty odd considering the hour. A lighthouse can be seen in the distance only making your fog that much worse.

There's a general store, the train station itself, an inn, and some kind of fish market.

The street is empty other than a large man sweeping out the walkway of the inn.

Pete looks at you excited.

"So, where to boss?"

A) Let's talk to the guy at the Inn.

B) Let's go in the Inn, we might want a room.

C) Let's walk to the address and scope things out. Figure out what we're dealing with then head back to town.

D) Go to the general store, see about buying a map to help find your way around.

E) Go to the fishmarket, the locals will know more. Maybe you can find something out.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
AB

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
BC

Although I don{t know what we will say if someone asks why we are here. I doubt cops would be very well received in this town.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
D, E

Let's hit up the locals and get familiar with the town. Specifically, what's the 'story' on the address in question, and if there are regular visitors.

You'd figure if the tycoons of the day were making trips to Innsmouth, the locals would notice a fleet of Duesenbergs roll in to town.

And if we can find the 'caretaker' of the property, even better.

mugrim posted:

Gained: Alcoholism, Classics, and Research

This is going to come in handy.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

DE

Worry about the Inn later and don't blow the job by showing up early.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

You walk into the Inn with Pete and the lobby is seemingly deserted. You make your way to the desk and ring a small tarnished brass bell, supposedly to signal service though your pressing it seems to make no difference.

The man sweeping up outside walks in and walks behind the counter.

"Room's 5 dollars a night. You pay when you leave. Only rooms in town. Phone's don't work in the room, you have to come to thi slobby. You want 'un?"

His thick glassy eyes point at you, as if his stocky body takes actual effort to examine you.

"WELL?"

He suggests a ludicrous price yet you sense he is entirely serious.

A) "Sure! Say, can you tell me how to get to 19 Cliffside Lane? Or do you have a map I can use?"

B) "Actually I'm here on an investigation and I had some questions if that's okay? *flash badge* I'm not trying to cause trouble, I have a simple issue to look into and then I'm out of your hair."

C) "I'm new to town and looking for opportunity, do you have any idea where to start sir?"

D) Your choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

DE

Worry about the Inn later and don't blow the job by showing up early.

Sorry about this, I've had that posting window open for like an hour and forgot to see if there were more votes. Don't worry there will be time for that.

• Locked thread