Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

nevermind as I am out of AP woops!

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel nBrannan

End of a long speech against the unwarranted attacks and extremist radicalism of the Vice President

Furthermore, the point remains that many of our states - Jefferson comes to mind - lack functioning state governments that would in turn elect the Senators, as well as administrate any other elections. Perhaps we should focus on ensuring those foundational blocks are laid before attempting to prematurely rush elections without the necessary infrastructure.

In the mean time, the GEP has proposed and passed an amendment to our Citizenship Provisos, allowing any who have recently arrived, or will in the near future, to have the chance to have their say heard if they truly desire to. Let our actions stand in contrast to the empty words of others!

(3 AP towards discrediting Enjoy and getting people to calm down and accept the original election schedule - Representatives in 1 year (2 since founding,) President in 3, (4 since founding,) through speeches and newspapers. Especially point out that we're expanding citizenship to more people, so newcomers will have a chance to have their voices heard)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Dec 17, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

3 APs: Traveling (~800 Miles Total) MAPLINK
Mariposa -> Moroni -> Sacremento -> San Francisco -> Monterey -> Santa Barbara -> Los Angeles -> San Diego

4 APs: Advertise Postal Bond sales in each city visited.

3 APs: Play old-timey songs in the work and mining camps around each city to boost my public presence and an independent culture of California.

Old Settler's Song posted:

SONGLINK - Lyrics slightly modified below.

I've wandered all over this country
Prospecting and digging for gold
I've tunneled, hydraulicked and cradled
And I have been frequently sold

I've tunneled, hydraulicked and cradled

For one who got rich by mining
I saw hundereds growing poor
I made up my mind to try farmin'
The only pursuit that was sure

I made up my mind to try farmin'

So rolling my grub in my blanket
I left all my tools with my scorn
And started one morning to shank it
For the paradise called Californ'

The paradise called Californ'
The paradise called Californ'
And started one morning to shank it
For the paradise called Californ'

Arriving with hope in midwinter
I found it enveloped in fog
And covered all over with farmland
As thick as the hair on a dog

And covered all over with farmland

I staked me a claim in the valley
And sat myself down to hard toil
For two years I planted and voted
My hands covered in godly soil

Tempted by places thought better
But honor forced my to stay
Until I became an old settler
Then nothing could drive me away

No longer the slave of ambition
I laugh at the world and its ways
And I think of my pleasant condition
Surrounded by acres of claims

I think of my happy condition

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
President Kearny, Leader of the Californian Federalist Party.

Upon arriving back from the situation he expertly resolved in Mariposa, Kearny takes care of a number of governmental issues, such as signing off on the good post madams acts, as well as appointing a loyal federalist to the position of Secretary Of State, so that we may conduct foreign business.

In a brief speech to congress he summarizes the mans career, and concludes:

"thus I hereby give my support behind the Federalist Theodore Harding as my candidate to secretary of state, to be sworn in upon approval by this body."

Departing the congressional hall, he stops by in the town square and announce his intent to alter somewhat the nature of the federalist party, stressing unity among all Californians, and a strong national identity, before standing in front of the now gathering crowd and giving a speech and unveiling the new motiff of the federal party, now the Californian Federalist Party.

A merger of the old federalist symbol and the California Condor, the new motiff is supposed to represent loyalty to the new nation, and its budding identity.

Unitas, Equitas, Libertas. -Unity, Equality, Liberty

He speaks:

I see among you today many of my friends, my allies, those that I’ve not yet had the pleasure to meet, and perhaps even, my enemies. I see among you Men and women, white and colored, Protestant and Mormon, Californo and settler. I see among you one thing that binds us, apart from our gold fever. I see among you the nation of California.
I’ve returned here today, after long and weary travel, fresh from diffusing threats to our nation masterminded by those who would see us crumble for their own profit. I’ve returned here today to continue to serve in my office, without pay or rest, so that I may protect and guide the future of this nation towards the glory it deserves. I address you now to share my visions and my hopes for our future, and the dreams of the CFP as it looks towards our combined future after the gold rush.

A long passionate speech stressing the importance of national unity regardless of background, the selfless contributions of Kearny who works without pay, and recently resolved the first internal crisis of the nation, and the tireless work of the federalist party to see that all men may find glory in California. The speech drums up support for both Kearny and the CFP, but it also includes a note of caution. A warning against those who seek to divide and cause strife in our new nation, those who seek to enslave the minds of the people with lies, and to corrupt and degrade our populace. No names are named, but the Hays tax is mentioned as an example of the sort of internal corruption that could plague our nation and rob our people was it not for Kearny and the federalists ensuring that a man free of bias and corruption was appointed to lead the Rangers. A final warning about the machinations of those who would seek to divide us is given, before he ends on a lighter note stressing the importance of unity, behind such selfless and California loving parties such as the CFP, after all there is a future in this nation past the gold, and it will take the federalists to see the full glory of that future.

Kearny ends his rally by tossing purple sashes with the federalist logo into the crowd, urging likeminded citizens to spread his message far and wide as he plans to travel and speak to the nation. Let old divisions be forgotten, he adopts the motto of “California first”

(1 ap for travel, 3 to hold rallies and build federalist sympathy, and national identity, as well as to encourage members to spread the message)

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 18, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

Fluff to come, 2AP on speeches and print building support for the GEP stressing our devotion to increased business, friendly foreign relations and investment, the rule of law, and public order.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Earlier today the Free Press published its first paper in Nueva Helvetia. Clips from the front page articles are included:

No Taxation VVithout Representation -- 1776 repeats itself

quote:

...everyone should remember that the Californian constitutional convention, of vvhich this paper's publisher vvas apart, voted for a national popular vote in electing our President and Senate representation afforded to the states. Yet! The people have not voted. This is an unconstitutional grab of povver by Kearny and his Mormon allies. VVhile Kearny is out there calling for a full four year term, true patriotic Californians are calling for an immediate election vvhere everyone can vote -- as guaranteed by the Californian constitution...

Mormon Gold Tax on Miners to Pay for Cult VVorship

quote:

... if the unconstitutional government seizing povver for themselves vveren't enough, Kearny and the Mormon allies have created a gold tax in order to create a federal police force to enforce their unconstitutional decrees. VVhats more, the Mormons and their puppets vvho pushed through this tax are literally gilding the dome of their cult temple in Moroni, or Morontovvn as it is more commonly knovvn...

Mormon Menace Pulls Kearny's Strings

quote:

... And lest vve forget, the Mormon President gave a speech inciting mass slaughter of innocent citizens in the American state of Missouri, resulting in the attempted assassination of Gov. Boggs. it seems the Mormons have learned from their outright hostility tovvards the civil authorities in Missouri and have just co-opted and formed an alliance vvith California President Kearny. The Mormons speak and Kearny dances...

King Mormon has hovv many vvives?

quote:

...further, the King of the Mormons, Bringham Young, has announced that their polygamist religion is no longer a religion of multiple vvives. Skeptical minds must vvonder though -- hovv many vvives does the King of the Mormons maintain?
---
Spend 3ap on buying the press. It also seems that there hasn't been any AP associated with publishing articles for the other paper, but spend two on distributing it among miners.

OOC posted:

I discussed the costs with FSAD two days ago. I could get a printing press immediately for 3ap only the W wouldn't work (lmao).

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jack Hays

During another speech in a mining camp in Sierra

... and after we whipped 'em at the battle of San Jacinto, we caught that sumbitch running for Old Mexico in a woman's dress! *laughs uproariously*

Yeah, that Santy Anna was a right old coward, and well, most dictators are. I've been hearin some strange things comin out of San Francisco, like our own Coward Tyrant Kearny has gone a little mad with power. Next thing ya know he'll be calling himself the Napoleon of the West! All he needs to do is keep on losing grandly and he'll be upholding that proud tradition.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Paper With Lines posted:

Spend 3ap on buying the press. It also seems that there hasn't been any AP associated with publishing articles for the other paper, but spend two on distributing it among miners.

OOC: Just to be clear the reason it has no W is because it is an old Spanish-language press, purchased from Mexico.

I also want to be clear, I'm happy with people to post letters and news articles in the thread, but if you want your news article to have a major effect, or your letter to do something (beyond another player reacting to it) then you need to spend AP on it. So publishing a newspaper with an anti-Mormon article won't really do anything, but spending AP to publish it as a front page, extra special news report being hawked on every street corner, that will have an effect.

Same with letters, your letter to your friend expressing your disappointment with the Republican governor, no AP needed. A letter to the Emperor of Japan asking for Japanese immigrants to be sent to California? 1 AP needed.

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 16, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
José de los Santos Berreyesa

Upon hearing of yet another crises in Downieville, José rides quickly for Downieville to join the Rangers there.

Spend 1 AP to travel to Downieville

Senator Harding, we need to talk. First, I'd like to congratulate you. I've been told that the Senate now has the votes to pass full emancipation. I expect to hear an announcement of its passing any day now. God bless you for your good work on ending that heinous barbarism.

Now, as to less pleasant matters. I've been told that you and the people of Downieville are now refusing to pay the Jack Hays tax. Now, I understand you are in a difficult situation, and that you don't like the idea of the federal government doing much of anything. But the same body to which you belong bids me to collect that tax, so I find myself in a difficult position as well.

I hope we can come to some sort of understanding, and each get back to our own business without any trouble.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Senator Elliot Harding

Ranger Berreyesa, I respect where you're coming from but I can't in good conscience ask these people to pay the gold tax. For one, I never voted for it, an' these people expect me to represent their will in the government. If I go against that, I ain't truly their representative, now am I? Second, there ain't no one paying the gold tax so far as I've heard. Why should Downieville pay when others don't, I ask you?

People here know where their tax dollars are goin'; to the town council, which they themselves elected, by the way. They know their taxes keep claim jumpers away, they know it keeps the sheriff an' his deputies on the streets, an' they know it means their voices will be heard. They don't have those same guarantees about the men in San Francisco. No sir, it's an unjust tax, it's unrepresentative of their will, it's just plain tyranny quite frankly, an' I ain't enforcin' it.

Once we hold a proper, popular election, I think they'll be far more willin' to play this game, but not until then. Now, I can recommend you a good saloon if you need to whet your whistle, an' some hotels if you're exhausted from the road, but on this subject I ain't got nothin' more to say.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

A further amendment to the Citizenship Laws of our country: (1 AP)

SB ? - The Brannan Amendment posted:

For purposes of residency, 1 year shall be henceforth considered sufficient.

This will allow every Resident now here, and anyone arriving up until November, to vote in next year's Representative elections, so they should so choose. If the people wish to have their voices heard, they will pursue citizenship, with all the rights and responsibilities thereof. If they still consider themselves Americans and temporary visitors only, then they will not. Simple.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 16, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Samuel Brannan

A further amendment to the Citizenship Laws of our country: (1 AP)

This will allow every Resident now here to vote in next year's Representative elections, so they should so choose. If the people wish to have their voices heard, they will pursue citizenship, with all the rights and responsibilities thereof. If they still consider themselves Americans and temporary visitors only, then they will not. Simple.

This act of unification of all prospective californian people has the approval of the CFP and myself. I fully support the measure to ensure greater inclusion into our fine nation. Let all those who wish to be californians, and practice our ways find it easier to do so.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

José Castro

I spend my time riding far and wide with a trusted steward deciphering and recording all land claims in the grand state of Eden, along with their rightful owners. Included would be a tentative list of succession in the file to prevent illegitimate claims after the passing of the original owner. 5AP

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Well, Mr. Harding, Hays voted against emancipation. Are you suggesting that he must refuse to release his slaves because he voted against it? No, I don't think you do, and I don't think that argument makes much sense, as sympathetic to it as I may be. After all, I didn't even get a say in the writing of the Constitution, yet here I am, attempting to defend and follow it all the same. We simply don't get to pick and choose what laws to follow.

As to the collection of the Hays tax, all I can say is that you've heard incorrectly. The people in San Francisco pay it, the recent arrivals from China pay it without complaint, the Mormons pay it. Hell, even Sutter spits paid it when I lead a patrol through his mill not long ago. You can bet whatever you'd like that Mister Hays would pay it, were he not too busy trying to rile every white protestant up against everyone that ain't like a drat fool.

You speak of tyranny, but what of the tyranny of the white man who leads a lynch mob against innocent men of color? Who will stand against him, if not for men paid by the tax? You say it is unrepresentative, but who will enforce the rights of those here in the rest of California, if not men paid by the tax? It would not be just to let the men who would bring order and stop hateful violence, wherever it may occur, go unpaid would it?

However! You make a very good point about trust. You don't know me, or my men. So what if we setup here for a while, and work with your sheriff and the rest of the people of this fine town? We can..defer the tax for a while. Give us a chance to earn your trust, and you'll see that we are your neighbors, not mad tyrants trying to build...what was it again? Oriental harems?

What say you?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 17, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Fall Sick and Die posted:

OOC: Just to be clear the reason it has no W is because it is an old Spanish-language press, purchased from Mexico.

I also want to be clear, I'm happy with people to post letters and news articles in the thread, but if you want your news article to have a major effect, or your letter to do something (beyond another player reacting to it) then you need to spend AP on it. So publishing a newspaper with an anti-Mormon article won't really do anything, but spending AP to publish it as a front page, extra special news report being hawked on every street corner, that will have an effect.

Same with letters, your letter to your friend expressing your disappointment with the Republican governor, no AP needed. A letter to the Emperor of Japan asking for Japanese immigrants to be sent to California? 1 AP needed.

OOC

Right, sorry, I complaining, I was making fun of the press. I explained as such in the chat. I didn't mean to go after you.

Also, in case it isn't clear, I spent two AP on distributing the paper.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Paper With Lines posted:

OOC

Right, sorry, I complaining, I was making fun of the press. I explained as such in the chat. I didn't mean to go after you.

Also, in case it isn't clear, I spent two AP on distributing the paper.

OOC: I didn't think you were complaining, I was writing that for Sniper because he had bought up all the presses in the area and I didn't want him to think I had ignored that. I never considered it going after me.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Fall Sick and Die posted:

OOC: I didn't think you were complaining, I was writing that for Sniper because he had bought up all the presses in the area and I didn't want him to think I had ignored that. I never considered it going after me.

OOC: Oh don't worry, he explained in chat. A second-hand knockoff press for a second-hand knockoff paper and proprietor, seems fitting.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Senator Elliot Harding

I ain't got all day to argue your points - we'll leave things at "I disagree" - so I'll just say you an' your rangers are welcome to stay so long as you pay room an' board for the duration. Make your arguments with the townsfolk if it pleases ya. An' don't take any liberties. I don't wanna hear about "ranger privilege" or anythin' to that effect. Things is hairy enough here as it is. You know where my office is - considerin' you're standin' in it - so if ya need anythin' else, well, just swing on by. Have a good one.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Very well then. We'll make camp on the outskirts, though individual rangers have leave to pay if they want. We forgo the wealth to be had in the goldfields in order to bring justice to the frontier, so we may not be able to bring as much custom to Downieville as we'd like to. Please report any misconduct to me. I assure you it will be dealt with severely. Good day to you.

Spend 5 AP Working with the Sheriff in Downieville and establishing good relations and trust between the people and the Rangers.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 17, 2016

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
Sergei Sokolov

Greetings comrades,

This beautiful nation of ours has come so far, it brings tears to my eyes. It greatly saddens me that people such as Comrade Hays feel the need to divide our citizens and call for abolishment of our dutiful government. I believe that only in unity and brotherhood, bratstvo i jedinstvo, will our great nation prosper. For that reason, I am announcing my membership with the Californian Federalist Party. I see no other alternative.

Another issue that has been on my mind is that of our good friend Sutter. I am very grateful that the courts were able to see who was truly at fault. As many of you recall, Mr. Sutter was ordered to pay a total of $10,212 plus damages, of which I have not seen a single cent. It seems he has no intention of ever paying me the fees the courts demand. In my previous court case, I gave the option of liquidating his assets if he is unable to pay the full amount. This seems to be my only option at this point. I will be petitioning the Supreme Court of California to liquefy his assets, including his new press, so that I may receive my much needed compensation. (1 AP)

Now, back to something more light-hearted. I have long held an interest in getting more fellow Russians to come and experience California and all it has to offer for themselves. For that reason, I will be sending a letter to my hometown in Russia, offering a place here for my fellow comrades. I look forward to all the good we will bring to this fair and prosperous country. (2 AP)

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Sen. Sutter

Sutter sends a letter from Sutter Mill to the Supreme Court in San Francisco,

To Whom it May Concern,

I apologize for not responding to any summons to a courts proceeding -- I never received it in the post. Chalk it up to the struggles of starting a new nation, though I am surprised this isn't being handled in Jefferson by the state authorities. In any case, I have a signed letter of agreement with a signature noting they received the payment from Arvid Adolf Etholén, who was in charge at the time, for the purchase of Fort Ross ready for an agent of the court to peruse at their leisure proving that I paid him in full. Why would they leave without getting their money? It makes no sense. If necessary, I will travel to San Francisco to present the documents.

Hopefully the lack of a summons sent from the petitioner or the court is enough to vacate the claim until I can send an agent or myself to argue on my behalf.

Yours,

J. Sutter
Senator from Sierra

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 17, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

I know the 5 federal justices in our court (the majority) stand by Sokolov's right to petition. Im sure the rangers have all the proper ability to carry out ensuring his payment.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

cxcxxxxx posted:

I know the 5 federal justices in our court (the majority) stand by lemons right to petition. Im sure the rangers have all the proper ability to carry out ensuring his payment.

Justice Wright, Supreme Court

We join the Federalist Justices in granting the Petitioner's request. If the Defendant had evidence to present in his favor, the time to do so was during the actual court case, not magically as soon as the Petitioner files for relief. The courts ruling is final, we now must see it enforced.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 17, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Paper With Lines posted:

Sen. Sutter

Thank you for the notice, Mr. uhhh Sok-o-lsr.

I will respond eventually.

Justice Wright, Supreme Court

The Defendant is on record of having acknowledged the case, making his claims of ignorance laughable at best.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Sen. Sutter

Uh... disregard the last letter.

I have 10k in materials and gold for the Russian interloper to come grab at his earlier convenience.

J. Sutter

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

Paper With Lines posted:

Sen. Sutter

Uh... disregard the last letter.

I have 10k in materials and gold for the Russian interloper to come grab at his earlier convenience.

J. Sutter

Sergei Sokolov

There we go, that wasn't very hard. You made a very wise decision today Mr. Sutter. It seems there is still some hope left for you.

Seeing as this was a federal court matter, I request a small detachment of rangers to retrieve my goods and bring them back to me in my San Francisco headquarters.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

To District Chief John Henry,
John, please see to it that the below request is honored, to avoid further antagonism between these two citizens. Please be careful as there are a lot of important eyes on this one. Please give Senator Sutter and Mr. Sokolov my regards. I hope this message finds you well.

Yours,

vicious citrus posted:

Sergei Sokolov

There we go, that wasn't very hard. You made a very wise decision today Mr. Sutter. It seems there is still some hope left for you.

Seeing as this was a federal court matter, I request a small detachment of rangers to retrieve my goods and bring them back to me in my San Francisco headquarters.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It takes a great deal of stress of my shoulders to see that Mr Sutter has decided to become amiable to the courts ruling. I hope that with this rift solved Senator Sutter will be once again treated with a modicum of respect, having finally yieled to the rulings of the court and nation. I also do hope that the good Sokolov will be willing to use a tiny portion of his new wealth to draw up proposals for the CPF Unity Uniform for our rallies, using his knowledge of the hat and clothing trade.

With regards to the good senator harding, should you fell that the Rangers attempts to win the faith of Downieville are not enough, id be more than willing to attend in person as to stymie any sentiment that the men in San Fransisco are little more than distant tyrants, id be more than willing to make an occasion of it, and shake hands with the local leaders.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 17, 2016

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

Senator Elliot Harding

I'd be right happy to have you here, Mister President - even in times of trouble we should still show ourselves as Californians above all else! Thing is, uh, I done heard about your recent rallies an' to be honest they freak me out slightly. Maybe don't go crazy with the purple sashes an' the latin phrases? We oughta be good if ya just wanna show these fine folks that the government ain't their enemy.

While you're here, too, we oughta talk about holding elections soon. Ranger Berreyesa is already here with his boys, so you oughta be safe as houses. Good travelin' to ya!

(1 AP spent preparing Downieville for general festivities. In particular, two local saloons are rented out to accommodate masses of people.)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

I have excellent news for the Senate in my role as Budget Chairman - we have finally received word that our newly instated tariffs will bring in 15 Wealth annually. This number will increase as we increase the efficiency and reach of the Immigration and Customs Authority, so doing so should be a priority.

In the short term, I believe the following budget expenditures are most deserving of funding at the moment:

Ranger Upkeep - 3
ICE Upkeep - 3
San Francisco Customs House - 5
Supreme Court - 1
Total Expenditure: 12

These expenditures are required if we wish to maintain law, order, and a stable income. Whatever remaining income we acquire can be allocated as the Government sees fit.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 17, 2016

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: Working from Sniper's base, we've set up a budget sheet for everyone. This includes both the Federal budget as well as the various state budgets (see the sheets on the bottom). Right now, both Sierra and Nimrod have a deficit of 2 wealth due to their creation of state militias with no payment process to pay for it. Please check this out often and when you request projects, I will now put them up there. It's up to the senate to decide which things should get funded. Right now, there's no such thing as deficit spending, you can't pay for more than you have revenue for, unless you start selling bonds or something, which the Postmistress has proposed actually.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lU0UqEV48BDeQd1lGfi6nKkQ8O-C050rLrN-wztMS6M/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

Circular from the Vice President's office to Federal employees in the capital:

The Kearny administration has made good progress on the road to effective governance with the creation of a customs authority for collecting tariffs. However many other areas of government need to be created or expanded to meet the requirements laid out by the constitution and the laws passed by the legislature:

Lower courts system (state based circuits?), so that the Supreme Court is not the first recourse for justice
Court bailiffs, to free up the Rangers from an area outside their jurisdiction per the act that created them
Land registry agency, to centralise information of land ownership, resolve competing claims between miners and ranchers, and provide the basis for any future land grants programme
Agency for training newly hired civil servants to Federal standards
Electoral apparatus, for if state governments are unable to provide sufficient infrastructure such as ballots, polling stations, vote counting etc
Citizenship board for testing applicants and resolving services and payments that would hasten citizenship per the "Brannan Plan"

Many of these departments are, in the United States, under the authority of branches other than the executive. However, we are not the United States, and if the Senate drags its feet over, for example, creating a citizenship board, the executive should step in and do it for them. The public good trumps any misguided appeal to preserving the petty fiefdom of ostensible public servants.

Action: spend 3 AP to hire Federal employees into a board for testing citizenship of applicants, and for charging money to expedite the process

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 17, 2016

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

Circular from the Vice President's office to Federal employees in the capital:

The Kearny administration has made good progress on the road to effective governance with the creation of a customs authority for collecting tariffs. However many other areas of government need to be created or expanded to meet the requirements laid out by the constitution and the laws passed by the legislature:

Lower courts system (state based circuits?), so that the Supreme Court is not the first recourse for justice
Court bailiffs, to free up the Rangers from an area outside their jurisdiction per the act that created them
Land registry agency, to centralise information of land ownership, resolve competing claims between miners and ranchers, and provide the basis for any future land grants programme
Agency for training newly hired civil servants to Federal standards
Electoral apparatus, for if state governments are unable to provide sufficient infrastructure such as ballots, polling stations, vote counting etc
Citizenship board for testing applicants and resolving services and payments that would hasten citizenship per the "Brannan Plan"

Many of these departments are, in the United States, under the authority of branches other than the executive. However, we are not the United States, and if the Senate drags its feet over, for example, creating a citizenship board, the executive should step in and do it for them. The public good trumps any misguided appeal to preserving the petty fiefdom of ostensible public servants.

Action: spend 3 AP to hire Federal employees into a board for testing citizenship of applicants, and for charging money to expedite the process

Senator Samuel Brannan

Illegal, good sir, as the bill clearly designates the Board be appointed by Congress. No funding will be provided for this. Furthermore as the Vice President, you have no authority at all to be acting on your own, and given your recent vitriolic and unfounded outbursts against law abiding people of the Republic, I'm incredibly disinclined to allow you to do so. I have proposed a bill that will see the Board appointed legally.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 17, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

In a Saloon in Downieville
No, no, I understand your frustration. Everything is very unsettled now and new people show up every day. I welcome you to my experience for the past ten years. Having an organized election a few months ago would have been possible, so they had to just call up anyone who could claim to speak for anyone. Think about it. They had over two centuries of settlement and history behind them in the colonies the United States formed from. Most people in California haven't even been here for two months. Where would the polls have been setup? Who would you have trusted to count the ballots? Who would have drawn up the lines for the house? Technically the whole thing got done backwards. With the United States setup, you have the States being formed before the federal government. Here the very States themselves were formed in the same act that made the Republic.

So I think a provisional period was very much a necessity. And look who got spots in that provisional government! I don't really see honest elections at the time turning out very differently.

In an impromptu gathering at an assayer's office

Sure, the Hays tax isn't fair. All taxes are unfair when you're the one who has to pay them. But that is the means by which civilization is purchased gentlemen. It was simply desired that the source disorder California, gold, be the same means by which to pay for order. And look who was selected to collect it! If the men in San Francisco were truly tyrants, they'd have selected a military man and hired a bunch of former angry white army men for the job. Men who would see you as outsiders, as non-people. Instead they hired myself, and I in turn hired every kind of Californian. Because I knew that the greatness of our Constitution, that no citizen be restricted from the vote, and that citizenship not be restricted on the basses of class or race, must be embodied in the men who would protect that Constitution.

Spend 3 AP patrolling Downieville district with the Rangers.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Senator Samuel Brannan

Omnibus Bill 1850

Allocations
Ranger Upkeep - 3
ICE Upkeep - 3
San Francisco Customs House - 5
Supreme Court - 1
Citizenship Board - 1
2 Wealth to the provisos below
Total Expenditure: 15

Citizenship Board
The Citizenship Board shall be formed, comprising of 5 Appointees (Insert names here, 2 GEP, 2 Fed, 1 Republican.)

Judiciary Act

A system of Inferior Federal Courts shall be established, [steal from the Judiciary Act 1790]. Nominated judges a mix of GEP and Federalists, with Republicans mixed in for the Sierra circuit.

Land Registry Office

A Federal Land Office shall be established in order to coordinate and grant Land Claims, honoring as possible the existing verified legal claims.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
edit: in progress

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 17, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

The baleful Mormon influence now stretches even to attempting to prevent loyal Christians obtaining citizenship. This is a blatant act of disenfranchisement intended to cement the Mormon party's control over the legislature by restricting citizenship.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

The baleful Mormon influence now stretches even to attempting to prevent loyal Christians obtaining citizenship. This is a blatant act of disenfranchisement intended to cement the Mormon party's control over the legislature by restricting citizenship.

Senator Samuel Brannan

The GEP has made it even easier to gain citizenship by lowering the residency requirement to 1 year, and I've just introduced a slate of names for the first Citizenship Board. If you would keep your criticisms based in reality, it would be appreciated.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

The Mormon dominated Senate has created a Mormon dominated board to decide on citizenship for the entire country. This sick cult has accrued influence and power out of proportion to their numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Enjoy posted:

Charles Lucien Bonaparte

The Mormon dominated Senate has created a Mormon dominated board to decide on citizenship for the entire country. This sick cult has accrued influence and power out of proportion to their numbers.

Senator Samuel Brannan

Golden Eagle Julio Rodriguez of Eden, a Catholic and nominee for the board, would beg to differ with your assessment of his religion. Beyond that, unless you're suggesting that the Republicans and Federalists are Mormons too, my party only has two of five seats.

To be lectured on good governance by a failed radical is nothing short of amazing, and only the fact that I know you do not speak for your party or your President has prevented you from doing further harm to the strong relations between our parties. That you would continue to deny the strong Californio presence within the GEP betrays your prejudice, or perhaps your willful ignorance.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 17, 2016

• Locked thread