Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Out in faraway Poland, a young rabbi is chosen to lead the growing Jewish community of San Francisco.

OOC: character sheet to follow when I wake up tomorrow, how do many stat points do I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
OOC: You'll have to come on Discord if you can and I'll roll up a character for you in realtime.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'll increase my Charisma by 1 to 4

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

William Walker increases his command from 5 to 6!!!

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Wang Long will increase his charisma to 4!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Overheard by a farmhand for Ford Wallingford

"Hm. No, no, no, this is, no, unfo-, un-, unfortunate..."

Spend 1AP eating a sandwich while reading a book on how to better grow crops in cold weather.

Spend 1AP corresponding with other local farmers for tips and advice on farming, and also for cooking recipes (I provide a recipe for "British Style Beef Stew")

mynamewas
Jul 23, 2007
Point
Ranger Chu Increase Charisma from 5 to 6

mynamewas fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 29, 2016

vicious citrus
Dec 10, 2014

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.
Sergei increases his Command from 4 to 5

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

Increasing my Charisma from 4 to 5

Excerpt from a private address in the capital to Federalist party members and Federal employees

Gentlemen, I know many of you personally. I had the honour to meet with you during the constitutional convention last year, where we laid the foundations of a Republic that would protect our liberty from prospective tyrants. That document, written largely by our local Republican Senator for Golden Bay, John Frémont, is a very reasonable compromise between the ideals of liberalism and the caution of the established powers of the land.

In the past year we have tried to build on that foundational document, to create a strong and effective government that would implement our constitution and arbitrate between the disparate groups calling California home.

We have had many successes, such as the creation of our customs agency, which is the single largest factor in keeping the Republic afloat. The tariffs collected by many of the individuals in this room are the fuel that keeps the engine of government running. The paramilitary Rangers, with their ill defined jurisdiction, barely pay for themselves.

We have also had failures.

President Kearny's attempt to reconcile some of the Anglo gold miners in the Sierras with our Republic's sovereignty were admirable, and partially succeeded. Through sheer force of personality, he managed to extract the the concession of a Ranger presence in Mariposa.

However, he also made vague promises to the locals of allowing them to establish democratic institutions of their own. What this means for the Republic is as yet unclear. Should the Mariposans decide that the Mormon-dominated state government is an infringement on their special privileges, they could extract further concessions from the Federal government. The situation remains only partially resolved.

Other gold-mining towns are also springing up in the Sierras. Will our President have to personally travel to each town, village and mining camp to reconcile the newcomers with their state's Mormon elite? It's simply unacceptable for an effective and strong government to be held to ransom in this way.

The situation with the post office is even less tolerable. This agency is one of the few mandated by the American constitution we largely adopted, and yet it remains unfunded and understaffed. The heroic efforts of Mme. Frémont to build the basic infrastructure of our Republic should be lauded but the question must be raised: why have the President's Mormon allies refused to fund the institution?

The most glaring of all the omissions by President Kearny, however, is surely the lack of democratic elections. Given the assurances to the Mariposans, one would imagine the President highly valued the mandate of the electorate, but rather than assist the state governments in creating an electoral apparatus of some kind, he has been holding all manner of bizarre open-air rallies, reminiscent more of pagan rituals than of the workings of a responsible and responsive government.

No, this simply will not do! The legislature needs to be wrested from the Golden Mormon Party, and unfortunately the weak leadership of President Kearny has seen the Federalist party allied to them.

I have already announced my resignation from the Federalist party due to my concerns. I ask that you give thought to quitting the party yourselves.

If you do, I hope you will join me in applying for membership in the Republican party, a party whose senior members have demonstrated their selfless attitudes towards our Republic.

Action: Spend x AP persuading Federal employees and Federalist party members to join the Republican party

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I'll spend my one extra point on charisma. from 2 to 3.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
James Sinclair - Learning from :downs: to 1

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

William Walker

Spend 10 AP to convince investors in New Orleans that California is the future of the American Continent, with an emphasis on trying to reach a representative of Vanderbilt.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

Private correspondence to an East Coast academic

Dear Sir,

I hope this letter finds you well. My correspondence has been less frequent of late due to the less reliable infrastructure on the Pacific coast.

While I originally intended to devote most of my time in California to ornithology and the categorisation of the wildlife here, I have also found myself studying the development of the society and of the people in it.

I am writing to inform you of a medical discovery I have made while observing the behaviours of a middle-aged man in San Francisco named Samuel Brannan.

I have observed in him aberrant behaviours which I feel merit formal classification into a schema. Please find enclosed my case notes, which I will summarise below.

The most prominent behaviour I have observed in the subject has been a detachment from reality. His thoughts and speech appear to be totally divorced from the things occurring around him (I believe hallucinations are to blame). Rather than resulting in violence, as with many lunatiques, his symptoms manifest in grandiose and impossible plans, and in beliefs about conspiracies of enemies who seek to ruin said plans.

In one example, he espoused a belief that Jesus Christ was an American, that our Saviour wrote another Testament inscribed on gold tablets, and that said tablets were discovered thanks to intervention by an Angel before being buried again (I have not been able to determine if the subject continues to speak to Angels, or, more troublingly, if they speak back).

In another example, he declared that a railway system ought to be constructed in a half-circle around San Francisco Bay (I believe the geometry of circles may hold a special interest to the subject), so as to allow 'development of industry' there. The long history in Western civilisation of maritime trade, and the unsuitability of San Franciso for coal and iron industries, were never mentioned, if indeed they entered into his thought process.

In a final example, he announced meticulous plans for ending the Atlantic slave trade. As I mentioned before, we are resident on the Pacific coast of the Americas. As he seemed to be putting his efforts towards something moral and constructive, I did not have the heart to inform him that the Atlantic slave trade was ended by the British Crown in 1807 (to the relief of men of Reason everywhere).

While the formal schema will be defined in more rigorous terms in the case notes, this illness of the mind is characterised largely by detachment from reality, delusions of control, and hallucinations.

There are subjects in my notes with stronger symptoms, but I propose that the ailment be named 'Brannan's Disease', as the tragedy of the man I have been studying for this past year is quite striking.

I have the honour to remain,
Your faithful and obedient servant,
Charles-Lucien Bonaparte
Fellow of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia

Action: x AP to study the crazies of San Francisco to develop case notes
Action: x AP to publicise the discovery of Brannan's Disease abroad
Action: x AP to promote the idea in San Francisco that Senator Brannan is crazy, using Senator Sutter's press where applicable

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

This was a cool game. Thanks for running it fsad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

consumed by normies posted:

This was a cool game. Thanks for running it fsad.

Word.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
:tipshat:

Never tell your password to anyone.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
5:06 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: hi
5:06 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: Hey
5:06 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: I saw your Mod and thought it was p good my friend
5:06 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: thanks
5:06 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: How is the French Empire on your mod?
5:07 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: they are meant to be more like the uk during her peak, "the world's policeman"
5:07 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: that's why tehy dont have nfs for claims etc
5:07 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: That is good
5:07 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: if you need any information for the background on the Empire I can provide help; my family still holds a lot of letters and records from the time
5:08 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: what kind of stuff
5:12 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: Well, I am one of the descendants of Lucien Bonaparte; which although exiled himself during the beginning of the Empire. Still shared correspondency with his brother and in the Hundred years he actually joined the ranks of the army to aid him.
5:15 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: so. Basically letters and Lucien was noted for his academic work
5:16 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: didnt he discover the moustached warbler
5:17 PM - H. Uxter Nepmann, Esq.: i was in a roleplaying game on SA as lucien bonaparte lol https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3799484
5:18 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: yes
5:19 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: It is always weird to find people roleplaying as Napoleon, but it´s weirder when I am asked my name in real life
5:20 PM - [Aizer of Astora]: so I am pretty used to it

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What a beautiful small world we live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
That is amazing

• Locked thread