Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sign me up for Robert Stockton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

Gentlemen, is there really a question here? The great triumph of the American Revolution was that our forefathers set up a government of the people; one where the people could make their will known through their elected representatives. And, while the current Congress has betrayed us, I still state that the founders of the United States were the wisest leaders and thinkers on the face of the earth. By following in their example, we avoid tyranny of the rule of one man. What of the other option, of popular government, based on that of ancient Athens. Is this practical? Look at the land we claim. I see a future where Californians will settle and bring into productivity all of the territory we claim and even more. How then, can we expect citizens from all corners of our far flung land to come to the capital whenever a decision must be made? Athenian democracy might be appropriate to the governing of a single city, but not to a modern state.

I vote A, a republic.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

i hope that this convention might indulge me my thoughts on some of the matters that we are discussing. That is to say, the question of first, the franchise, and second, the question of the Mormons.

First, as to the question of who should have the franchise, we much first consider the alternatives. Some have spoken with admiration of the Roman state, which granted citizenship regardless of race to those who provided service to the state and the people of Rome. But, I think, if one considers the example of Rome, he can see the dangers of such an approach. Consider, that in the days of the Roman Republic, the people lived virtuously and simply, with great care to limit the franchise to those of the Roman race and adopting Roman ideas. Indeed, even the Italians in the Republic were first denied the franchise, and even those of the Latin League, while they could govern their own affairs and elect magistrates for their local concerns, were denied the franchise in Rome. It was not until the end of the Republic, when Caesar, attempting to increase support for his tyranny, made senators of the peoples he conquered. And, indeed, if we look at the fall of the Roman Empire, was it not due to the Roman embrace of barbarians as citizens, in exchange for service in their armies? This influx of barbarians, lacking Roman virtue and Roman values, led to the fall of the Empire. Do we doom ourselves to fall as Rome fell?

It is the destiny of the Anglo-Saxon race to bring civilization to this continent. Why turn away from that divine trust? Let us govern ourselves. Extend the franchise to all adult white men who are not felons.

We must ask ourselves, though, what of the Mexicans; those who were here before we arrived. Are they to have the vote? Let us be judicious. For, it seems to me, these inhabitants come in multiple classes and characters. There are those in whom the blood of old Spain flows almost as strongly as the blood of old England flows in me. These are the heirs of El Cid, men of authority, who hold land and positions of importance. To these men, I say to them, if you are willing to swear allegiance to the Republic of California; if you are willing to put aside the tendency towards despotism that is in the Spanish character, I welcome you as friend and fellow citizen. Vote, hold office, help us make California a place where we all can live.

On the other hand, we have those of low character and degenerate bloodline. More Indian than Spanish, without land, without property, without bloodline, it is their lot to serve and obey. Let them live among us, if they will. Let them succeed to the extent they can. But let us not abandon the state to them. Let us not give them the franchise.

So, for Mexicans, I say, let us examine their character and bloodline. Let us see if they are worthy of full citizenship. If they are, give it to them. If not, deny it.

Now, let me turn for a moment to the Mormon question. These people have caused much tumult and much confusion. It is my understanding that this sect was settled in Illinois, until their actions caused offense to the people of the state. After their first leader was arrested and killed, they moved west, intending to find a place where they could practice their religion without causing offense. They settled near the Great Salt Lake for a time, but then, hearing of California, and the opportunity for settlement here, moved to this land, where they have settled in the San Joaquin Valley, to the east of here.

So what are we to make of them? California is a land dedicated to freedom. I say we have no place for religious discrimination here. If they wish to live peacefully, let us let them. However, at the same time, we cannot have a state within a state, nor can we allow any peculiar customs that offend morality. We are not a theocracy and have no room for those who would make one. So let them live in peace, but by the law of California. Let them abide by our laws, and be governed by our laws. Let them refrain from preaching their doctrine to other Californians.

Further, while we are told that they will not block access to the goldfields or fertile land, the fact that they settle as a group on fertile lands along the goldfields is a thing that should be of concern to us. We cannot allow any one group, no matter how well-intentioned they may or may not be, to be able to control the state's resources. Let them spread out. If they dwell together with each other and apart from us, then rumors will inevitably spread, and hatred shall overwhelm them. They are free here. They need not huddle together as a group. I say to the Mormon, dwell among your fellow Californians. Do not separate yourself from us. Instead, contribute to all of us. If, however, they insist on living as a community apart, let it not be where they can prevent the free movement of others.

So, that's D, really, and then a combination of 1 and 4

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

A few quick comments, if I may.

Many here have advocated for a federal system based on the United States, with a number of independent states, and a bicameral legislature, where, as in the United States the upper house will be made up of an equal number of representatives from each state. While this is a fine system, and one that served the United States, it may not be appropriate for California.

When the United States was first formed and the Constitution first written, it was as a union of independent states whose existence predated the Constitution, and which had rights that needed to be protected. To do anything but act as the drafters of that Constitution did, then, would have been folly, and injustice, for it would have stripped the states of their preexisting rights and freedoms and put them under the subjection of the federal executive.

How different, though, is our situation. We come as an independent nation de novo. We are not a union of states, but one of people, free. There is no state sovereignty that needs to be protected. Why then, should we establish independent entities unnecessarily. Indeed, are not many of the problems that now plague the United States come out of the question of the power of the individual states against the power of the national government. and much of the tumult due to rival claims of state power? We have all heard, for instance, of slaves running away from their owners in states like Virginia, and then going to a state like Massachusetts, where slavery is prohibited, and the laws of the State of Massachusetts not at all willing to help the citizen of Virginia recover his property. If we allow multiple states here, will we not lay the basis for a similar conflict, if not about slavery, about some other issue? Better then, that the laws and rights of the people are uniform throughout the nation, rather than being a subject to the whims of multiple jurisdictions and all matter of confusion.

Additionally, the population of California is, for all the land we claim, small in number and centralized. The distance from Yerba Buena to the Central Valley, those places being where most of the population dwell, is only 70 miles. To divide the land into multiple states now is to create mini fiefdoms. It would do nothing but further divide the population. This is why I support a unitary state, and reject any arbitrary division into "states" that lack coherence or historic existence.

As to the issue of the franchise, I had made my position clear earlier. We must not allow the franchise to fall into the hands of those of alien culture or blood, who would weaken the democratic nature of our nation. The Negro, the Indian, the Chinese have no experience with self government and democracy. It is not in their nature. To extend the franchise to them all would destroy us.

So, I repeat my plea to you earlier. Do not sow the seeds of our nation's destruction at its founding. Reject the establishment of separate states, and reject extending the franchise to peoples who lack the natural capacity to vote.

B,5

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
From the diary of Robert Stockton

Sup'd with Jo. Robertson today and discussed the Constitutional Convention. He obs. it has more the character of a tent revival. All sorts of strange proposals about the franchise. Gen. Kearney backing Saml. Cooper's proposal to deny the vote to non-Christians. Another proposal; to let everyone vote, women, madmen, Negroes, even Chinese and Indians. Spoke out against that, but it is gaining real support. The mood in the hall is febrile. Otherwise sensible men have fallen prey to utopianism and fervor, & I fear I shall be a new CASSANDRA, or at the least, Canute.

The cry goes up in the hall. Vote! Vote! The mass is tired of debate and wants a resolution to the franchise matter. Only a few more speeches and I expect a vote soon. I fear for its outcome, given the mood.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

"Gentlemen, I apologize for my silence so far on these matters. I have been deeply considering these issues, and trying to hear what others have to say, as these are serious questions, and ones deserving of the deepest rumination. Indeed, I was reluctant to comment, as these votes seem in part to be the result of previous votes that I have spoken out against, and I was hesitant to offer my opinion, concerned that you might not be interested in hearing my opinion on subsidiary matters of previous votes. You know that I have spoken for a unified California, and this august body has chosen to divide it into states. You know that I spoke for a restrictive franchise, and this august body has chosen an expansive one. What right have, I wondered, to comment on the details of positions I was so strong against? Would the rest of you not consider me unfit to debate them?"

"But no, I realized, after I had those thoughts, that I was doing my fellow delegates an injustice, and more, that I was shirking a responsibility, and I rightfully felt ashamed. For, have I not a duty, the same duty as the rest of us, to lend my thoughts to the matters before us? Have I not a responsibility to advise and consider, and deliberate? So, if you might allow me to humbly express my thoughts on the matter of states and on citizenship, I shall now do so."

"First, the question of states and the proposed states that have been proposed. None of the maps proposed are bad ones; none obviously unsuitable. Mr. Bonaparte's map ensures each state has access to the sea, which I think is a wise feature . Still, of all the maps, the one proposed by Major Fremont seems best to me. It ensures the population on the more populated coast is well represented, while at the same time, not neglecting the Central Valley. I would suggest, though, that we consider a few matters, for the future; The first, future state boundaries. As the population grows, is it not possible for states to be divided? For states that are too large are not responsive to the needs of their citizens. Also, we need some way to determine how a territory shall gain statehood, as the parts of California that are not now occupied are filled. Finally, what powers will the states have, and what powers will be restricted to the national government?" These are not debates for today, but they are debates that we must have."

"Now, as to citizenship. It's true that I advocated restricting or limiting the franchise to individuals of certain racial backgrounds, but this was rejected. This was not done through an animosity in my heart, but merely out of concern that, should the franchise, or should citizenship be granted to unworthy individuals, that would weaken the underpinnngs of the state. We have chosen not to restrict the franchise by race. Fair enough, and I acknowledge that there are those of every race that are capable of citizenship and exercising the franchise. God has created potential in us all. So, of all the plans presented, I support the Brannan plan. Let us at least ensure that those who seek to become citizens speak English, are of good moral character, and understand the responsibilities of citizenship."

"Let me turn finally to another question raised; how we are to select the president? We must consider that this country is unsettled still, lines of communication poor. For each state to send electors for the vote might cause them eminent difficulties. Besides, unlike the United States, the states in California are creatures of the national government. They lack prior existence, so why should they have a say, as entities in selecting the President. Therefore, I support those who say the legislature must select the President, but it should be the lower house, not the upper, for the lower house is more responsive to the will of the people as a whole."

Brannan plan, Fremont map, President selected by the House of Representatives

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

"A Telegraph, sir? We have no telegraphs in California. And even if some enterprising fellow should get one and install it, think of the expense to string and maintain telegraph wires across the wilderness. The people shall vote for their Representatives. They trust those representatives to vote the people's will when it comes to laws. Why not trust them to vote the people's will when it comes to selecting an executive?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

"If I might adjust Mr. Young's suggestion about the right to form a militia, might I amend it to the following?

Right to maintain a militia: "States shall have a right to form and maintain a well regulated militia, under the command of the governor of the state, for the defense of the state against insurrection, rebellion, or invasion, but no person with religious objection to bearing arms shall be compelled to serve."

A state militia should be sufficient. Localities should not be allowed to form their own militias not under the control of the state.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

JosefStalinator posted:

Brigham Young

Sadly sir, we must disagree with this clause on the strongest terms. You would forget that my people were driven by Missouri by a tyrannical governor who used the state militia to nearly exterminate us.

We would oppose this amendment.

Commodore Stockton

What is the point to your militia then, sir? Surely, the point of the militia is for the defense of the land and the people; to supplement the Regular Army and to serve where they can not. Should Mexico invade, or should there be some Indian Uprising, then the people must not rely solely on the Regular Army to protect them. Should there be some disquiet, and the army is too far away to respond in time, then it will be the militia , the people en masse, that will rise up and drive the invader out of the land."

"In order to do so, though, this requires leadership and coordination. If all militias are local, though, this would cause great difficulty. Each local militia would act independently, without any ultimate authority to organize them. If two local militias differed on the correct course of action, who would mediate between them? Someone must command, and it is the governor of the state who is best able to organize the militias of the state. Further, the state government would have resources the local governments do not. The militias, if they are to be effective, must be of uniform character and quality, with uniform equipment. If all militias are local, then those towns that are rich will be well equipped and provisioned, and those that are poor will be poorly equipped and provisioned. Surely, you see the danger in that. If they are under state control, then the state can set up standards for training and equipment, and help local militia companies meet those standards, which make us all safer.

I am aware of the difficulties your faith found in Missouri, sir, and deplore them, as, I think, does everyone here. But surely this is not Missouri. Your people should fear no danger here. Indeed, no doubt the people in your state shall elect a Mormon governor. Fear not, sir, for you have found yourself a home and place of safety.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

Why did we just pass provisions laying out the process to citizenship if we then are willing to throw them out with these homestead bills, granting 100 acres and citizenship to anyone who comes to California? This is little more than an attempt to invalidate another provision the majority has voted for. If we wish to offer land to new immigrants, let us do so, but let us not make the laws contradictory!

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

As I know some of the Californios here are concerned about the land they own, let us reassure them by adding the following right to our Constitution

Right to Property Except as a statutory punishment for a crime for which that person has been convicted, California shall not dispossess a person of his property without just compensation.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Takanago posted:

John C. Frémont

Well...

Commodore Stockton, I have one simple question for you. Is your proposal intended to protect the institution of slavery?

My proposal is intended to protect the people of California from having their land and property seized from them by government fiat. Right now the current landholders of California are concerned that we will not respect their rights. This proposal will reassure them we have no intention of seizing their land and giving it to new settlers.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

As an announcement, while I no doubt will often be in the capital, I intend to make my home in Sonoma State.

Also, much as I like taking credit for things I didn't do, actually, Enjoy is responsible for the spreadsheet

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

I have been asked my opinion on the candidates for president in the upcoming elections. Regarding Major Fremont, I know him to be a moral man and a good soldier. When he served under my command, he served with nothing but the highest distinction. However, sadly, Major Fremont seems to to have fallen under the influence of radical forces, who, I believe, wish ill to California.

On the other hand, while General Kearney's platform is much more acceptable, his actions during the conquest were such that I cannot support him.

Therefore, with much reluctance, I must instead allow my name to be submitted for the office of the presidency.

As for my platform, it is the following:

-Low tarrifs, the minimum necessary to fund the Government, so as to encourage commerce.

-Increased relations with Britain and Texas, and good relationships with all nations that seek good relations with us.

-A strong army and navy, to protect us from the foreign threat.

-A proper homesteading bill, so that land will come under cultivation, while at the same time, not interfering with the proper process of citizenship.

-The encouragement of necessary internal improvements

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

"Mr. President, Gentlemen of the Senate and the House of Representatives, I wish to bring a matter to your attention regarding the state of California's navy. The fact is, gentlemen, we will soon have no navy to speak of. The sailors are mutinous and many have already deserted. They hear of the fortunes to be made in the goldfields, and, before that, the thought of serving their country fades away. I therefore, intend, unless anyone has a better suggestion, to remove the majority of the Navy from active service, to build sheds and dockyards, and put them up, and then, once that is done, to let those sailors who would leave, leave. We cannot maintain the ships otherwise, and to do as I intend will preserve them for future use.

Building drydocks for the navy in San Francisco Bay using sailor labor, storing the ships, and then dismissing those sailors who want to leave. 3 AP

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 7, 2016

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

From an advertisement in the Alta California

Let it be known that Robt. Stockton is leading an EXPEDITION to the Northern Territories, for the purpose of EXPLORATION and SCIENTIFIC discovery, and to find SITES for future SETTLEMENT. He is therefore SEEKING men as GUIDES, HUNTERS, TRAPPERS, NATURALISTS, INTERPRETERS, SCOUTS, TRADERS, MAPPERS and SURVEYORS, as well as any with a spirit of ADVENTURE and DARING. Any interested should call on him in his office in the PRESIDIO in the town of YERBA BUENA, newly called SAN FRANCISCO or his AGENT, Zachariah Phillips in Tent Six in NEW HELVETA.

Heading an expedition up the coast towards what's now Crescent City, CA to map the land, look for potential settlement locations, study the animals and plants and trade with local Indians 5AP

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

quote:

James Sinclair

Um. Commodore? I, uh. The, uh. The expedition, I led, from Red River to, uh, the Willamette Valley? I could... uh, maybe, ask? If any of them are, um. Interested? Would that be useful?

Commodore Stockton

Mr. Sinclair,

I would be pleased by your assistance in this matter.

Yrs.

Robt. Stockton, Cmdre.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Commodore Stockton

From the trail journal of Robert Stockton

"We have set off from San Francisco to the northern regions of the state of Jefferson and beyond into the territories up to the border with British Canada. The main body is progressing overland, but we are accompanied by the sloop Cyane under Commander Dupont, one of the few ships not stored. It shall scout ahead, and provide us with a place of refuge if necessary, and a sharp response to anyone so wicked as to molest the party.

We have just crossed the bay and set out, and we are currently in the southern parts of Jefferson. Jefferson is goodly country and where I have made my home. It is a fine and gentle land, with heavy game and good soils. It is still small and rural in character. The Mexicans here still own much of the land, but the place is also filling with immigrants from Texas and the southwestern parts of the United States, due in some part to efforts by Colonel John Hays, who commanded a force of Texans and distinguished himself in the war against Mexico.

We have settled ourselves for the night outside of the Mission of Saint Raphael the Archangel, which had been established by the friars to treat the sick, but which was since abandoned. It was in this place that Major Fremont made his headquarters. I have spoken to a local priest who has returned to the Mission, and he tells me, through an interpreter, that he seeks to rebuild the hospital. He hopes that the Natives will return, but I fear that race has been so devastated in these parts by the coming of first the Spaniard and then the white man, that they will no longer thrive in the area around San Francisco. Tomorrow, the expedition begins in earnest, and so, to bed.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Robert Stockton

From the Travel Journal of Robert Stockton

"We have been travelling up through the state of Jefferson following the coast. The state is still underpopulated, largely ranches given to Mexicans by the old government. It was intended that the owners cultivate the land, and encourage settlement and production, but selfishly, they have left it largely wild, choosing instead to raise cattle on it and grow rich. The Congress has been debating a homestead bill. I hope that they are wiser than the Mexicans, and give land to those who would use it and develop it. White settlement is still rare here, with most immigrants choosing instead to seek their fortunes in the goldfields rather gain security through honest toil, but some have come. I met a farmer from Iowa and his wife, and they say the land here is better than there. They grow wheat and barley, and are proud of their home. Also met, nearby, a German, who sought to settle farther inland. He says the area by the rivers reminds him of some of the tributaries of the Rhine in character, and he thinks grapes can grow there & hopes to try his luck. It is through the efforts of men and women like these that we will prosper, not some transient race for gold."

"We passed the former Russian Fort Ross yesterday. The Russians had set up a place here to trade seal and supply their bases in Alaska, but Mr. Alexander, who is a trapper for the Hudson Bay Company, says that hard dealing by that company is what forced the Russians out. They sold the fort and everything in it to Mr. Sutter, who stripped it of everything that he could carry and left it a ruin and desolate. Tonight, we are settling on the land of Captain Smith, of Massachusetts, who got the land around it from the Mexican government. His wife is the sister of Mister Torres, from Peru, who the Mexicans gave the rest of the land. Mister Smith sees the area as a good source of lumber, and he was proud to speak of his saw mill, which lies much further down the coast. He sells the timber to San Francisco for a good profit, though he says the price is down since the rush, for ships will sail into San Francisco Bay, and then be abandoned as the lure of the gold is too much for the sailors, to be seized by whomever wants it and stripped of the wood. To think such a thing could have happened to the ships of the Navy, had we not taken the steps we did! Still, my heart is saddened to know that those ships, which should dance free on the waves, are instead incapacitated and helpless."

"We are in indian territory now, farther from settlement, in the lands of the Pomo. These seem a friendly people, and we traded with them. They have no central authority, but instead, each band and village governs themselves. They also have no agriculture, but live from fishing, hunting, and the gathering of such fruits and grubs that they can find. There were problems with the language at first, but in one village, we found a Pomo, called Indian Manuel, who knew Spanish, having escaped from a Mission established by the Friars. I know no Spanish, but rely on Captain Smith's ranch hand Juan Gomez, who joined our expedition. However, the Pomo that Indian Manuel speaks is of the southern type, and does not know the northern type. So when we reach a village of the Pomo, and wish to speak to them, I speak to Juan Gomez in ENGLISH, who then speaks to Indian Manuel in SPANISH. Once Indian Manuel understands, he speaks to the village in SOUTHERN POMO, and those in the village who know that tongue, then respond in NORTHERN POMO. It is very comical, much like a pantomime, but in this way we have conversations.

"A word is perhaps necessary here to explain the way we map our journeys, for we map in two ways. On the land, we rely on our scouts and mapmakers. These are a mixed group. Some are Delaware who served as scouts for Major Fremont. Some, like Mr. Alexander are Northern Cree trappers, employees of the Hudson Bay Company, either fully Cree, or the children of Cree women and French, English, and Scottish employees, and some are white men, former army scouts and trailblazers. These men range ahead of us, drawing preliminary sketches and maps, in preparation for the professional mapmakers and surveyors who follow them. The chief surveyor of our expedition is an M. Ducros, a Frenchman of phlegmatic disposition and raunchy humor, who is often overcareful with his equipment. We tolerate this, though, because of his skill with the theodolite. While all this goes on, Commander Dupont and the crew of the Cyane, do a careful mapping of the coastline, making certain to map every inlet and bay. When we reunite with the ship, the maps are compared and unified. Sometimes, they differ in important particulars, and then there is a great row, with both the land forces and the naval forces convinced the other is in the worng. This is the way our maps are made."

"We have crossed into the lands of the Wiyot. Unlike the Pomo, who I described earlier, the Wiyot have not had contact with whites that we can tell. Our skin fascinates them, both our white skin and Tall William's black skin. They think, I think, that we are somehow cursed or diseased, and are not friendly to us. Some crossed into our camp to try to raid or steal from us, but the sharp report of guns drove them off."

"We judge we have crossed into the northern territory at last, and we continue mapping apace. The land is mountainous, and not very friendly for travel. Could the mountains up here also produce a "motherlode", like those that already have? Even if not, the coastline is good, with many a good harbor. We might be wise to put up towns and forts here, to remind the British that this is not Oregon. The sheer amount of birds and beasts are fantastic, and we bagged some prime specimens. I wish the Vice President were here. An ornithologist, he would be well prepared to identify the birds. But we have already prepared and stuffed them, and he will be able to see them when we get back to San Francisco. "

"The beauty of this place surpasses understanding, and Igive thanks to the Lord for the wonders of His Creation."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Robert Stockton

From the Travel Journal of Robert Stockton

"We have penetrated into the northness of the land, and now are returning, unwilling to go further lest we enter into Oregon and thereby alarm the British. Commander Dupont is gone; the Cyane sent back to San Francisco. We are moving away from the coast, and penetrating inland, so as to increase the amount of land scouted, and coordination with the ship would be impossible. Besides, in case our band meets with misfortune and is lost, at least the Cyane will get home with news of the journey. The men are in good spirits. Though we realize our journey is less than half over, we have done what we set out to do, and all long for home.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

A word must be said of the trees. In addition to those trees found elsewhere; pine, larch, oak, and trees of that kind, there is a tree that grows only along the coast of California, and I think, nowhere else on earth. They are conifers, and one might say they were of the pine family, but if it is true, they are the goliaths of the pines. They are enormous. The sky is almost crowded out by them oveheard, and their tops are wreathed in fog. One wonders why California is home to so many marvels.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had a conversation today with one of our band; an Englishman named Romney. He is a carpenter and architect by trade, and a native of Moroni, one of the "Saints". He says he and his wife were baptized into that faith about twelve years prior, by missionaries sent to England for that purpose, and that he and his wife traveled to Illinois to join the sect there. Since then, they have been forever in motion, and he hopes that here, in California, they can live in peace. He told me that the rumors about the Mormons were false, and they wanted little more than to be left alone and live their lives in peace. I challenged him on that. Why, if they wanted to be left alone, would they settle on such good land and so near the goldfields? For they of course must realize that location will bring strangers to them there. Why not settle in, say, a part of northern Jefferson, or even stay in the valley of Great Salt Lake, not such a magnet to immigrants? To that, he could only say that he believed that Brigham Young had knowledge on that greater than he did, and he trusted Mr. Young, who he said was the prophet of his church. I had my doubts on this, for what little intercourse I had with Mr. Young showed him to be, in my estimation, a sharp character, but I stayed silent. There seemed little point in sectarian differences when compared to the beauties and dangers of the landscape.

Spending 6 ap to head back to San Francisco, continuing the survey as I go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Robert Stockton

From the Diary of Robert Stockton

I am returned home at last, or to San Francisco, at any rate. I intend to deliver the material from the trip to the President, and then begin a lecture tour, describing northern Jefferson and the Northern Territory, and explaining the opportunities there. It was with regret that I had to turn down the invitation of the Governor of Sierra for lunch when we passed near to the state capital. While he was most generous in offering it, that level of social interaction with a gentleman of his race is most certainly impossible, given the circumstances.

Spending 2 ap to give a lecture about the trip in San Francisco, then 1 ap to go to Nueva Helveta and 1 ap to lecture there.

• Locked thread