Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Oh, hullo.

It is I, Dong Reagan, humble emissary from the most blessed and venerable Heavenly King of Great Peace, Hong Xiuquan, may he reign for ten thousand millennia. I have travelled many months to bring to you the good news of Brother Hong, and the Gospel of his Elder Brother. Perhaps you may have heard of Him? He walked on these barbarian lands some centuries ago?

Ah, but I am remiss in my zeal to evangelize. I mean not to offend my most estimable of hosts, but it has been an arduous journey. We are but few in number, a small party of the God-worshippers from distant Cathay (as your foreign tongues refer to the Heavenly Kingdom), a foretaste of the feast to come. We yearn not to trouble you, but simply to be allowed to preach the good word of our elder brothers here in this land among our fellow Celestials, and to any laowai willing to hear of these glad tidings. Naught but only a dozen scholars and merchants, plucked from the highest and the lowest of the heathen Confucian hierarchy, bound together now as apostles alike, sent here to these far shores to minister in this new, golden land. If you do not wish to receive the word, it would be a veritable shame, but you may feel free to examine our fine array of silks and saffrons harvested from the Orient, or perhaps peruse my elegant collection of rare documents of learning.

What's this? You have convened a council of decision-making? What quaint notions of governance abound in this place! Well, far be it for a guest such as myself to levy a foreign judgment upon this land, but my thoughts are as follows:

The statecraft of Ahm-er-rick-ka are most bewildering, and it is lamentable that we did not arrive sooner to petition the institution of a proper king, preferably one anointed by God. But if you must be ruled by the common folk, then let it be all. "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus." Even back home, Brother Hong has proclaimed the equality of the sexes, unlike the demonry of the hated Manchu. So we must support F. - equal franchise for all who worship Jehovah!

As far as the second question goes, we have only begun to learn of the schismatic sects that dwell here. These Mohr-mun believe in a different brother to Jesus. Curious! And they claim this brother foretold visions, and married wives, and travelled across the land dispatching the evils sent by the established state. Hm. That does not sound altogether dissimilar from the works of Brother Hong. Yet Brother Hong yet lives, while this Joseph Smith is dead. A curio indeed. Very well, not yet knowing of the rituals and custom of this savage country, we Taipings can only be wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. So for now, let them live on their own, 3. But a close eye must be maintained, should their heresy devolve into blasphemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

The emissary from the God-worshippers of Cathay would like to direct this esteemed assembly of worthies towards history. To the east is the United States, that Anglo titan, which once sought to stride from sea to sea. Yet this leviathan of federalism was dashed by an agéd imperial power whose state is far more central than it. To the south is the Mexico, that land that was once an empire, then a republic de facto, now a republic merely de jure. A constitution built on compromise towards checks and balances were undone by impure spirits, and a warlord has wrested the mandate of the people there.

What does this mean? It means that the triumph of power is an unescapable reality, and only it is with Divine Providence and righteous actions under all heaven can any nation establish order. So power should not be shrunk from, should not be feared like a tiger, but instead tamed like a lion dog. So to this end on behalf of the Taiping Mission we present these recommendations to your honorablenesses:

The franchise should indeed be open to all worthy persons, of any background. God's Word is available to all, and to accept it is the passing of the first true test of man. But not all are capable of passing it yet, even as it should be the duty of society to educate its subjects to do so. So while we would elect 4 in a better time, for now we must reluctantly stand by 1, but with conditions: moral tests of character should be administered to those seeking to rule, these exams compiled from the common ethics of the traditions of this nation. That way, only the most righteous of men and women may govern, and govern justly; and in this we further recommend that Christianity, as the fulfillment of the ancient covenants of heaven with man, be a key tradition that these tests be based upon. But that is not to exclude other faiths and traditions as well, that similarly provide ample wisdom and virtue.

If this country is thusly staffed with the righteous, then it should be armed by power. But here we propose a compromise to allay the fears of those who doubt in this country's capacity for righteousness: synthesize A with B, creating a bicameral legislature coupled with a strong central government. Furthermore, we recommend the establishment of a Censorate body that would supervise and monitor the two houses to ensure morality is not impinged. This body would be composed those of those who have been found to the most righteous and wise, able to root out corruption and decadence in the legislature. This way, the fear of "mob rule" would be allayed by the presence of two houses, and further reinforced by this third body. Finally, this republic would be girded in ways that the United States and Mexico was not, by having a capable central state unopposed by the ambitions of selfish regions, which once crewed by good men and women, could protect this entire land from imperialists abroad and dictators within. Instead of sovereign states, faithful provinces all paying obeisance to one goal, one purpose, one government under one God.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

As a proud God-worshipper, I must uphold the belief that all created equal under heaven. And as we welcome those who would contribute and share equally (unlike those devilish Manchu tyrants, but that's on the other shore), we must also pronounce the belief that we are all citizens and subjects of the Lord God's kingdom. As such, how can this new nation do any less? If the Lord's wisdom is given freely to all, only opposed by demonic forces, then how can this nation do any less? As such B, the belief that all are worthy of citizenship, should they accept it and swear to live rightly, is the just and true one. We believe in offering universal citizenship, just as we believe in God's offer of universal salvation, to those who accept it.

Fremont's map teaches a moral lesson and so long as that floating visage is not a false idol, we are in approval of it.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Honored delegates of the assembly,

We near the 11th hour of this debate. Yet, there are rights that are still yet to have been enumerated.

Freedom of Settlement - the Hays proposal is exclusionary, elevating one nationality or another over all peoples of this good earth. Such a plan would not befit the open and welcoming nature of this country's character, decided so far. The Frémont plan also adds specific proviso promising specific parcels of land, which seems excessively detailed for inclusion within a bill of rights. In its stead we seek recognition of freedom of settlement and internal movement, simply as thus:

"All citizens and law-abiding visitors possess the liberty to travel, reside in, and work in any part of California as they please, within the limits of respect for the liberty and rights of others, and may leave California and return at any time. The federal government of California, nor the states, nor the localities and municipalities, nor any private organization or entity may infringe upon this freedom, except through the due process of the law."

Any future plans for actual settlement can be made as legislation, not as constitutional amendment. We call upon Frémont and his supporters, who so kindly fought for universal suffrage and open citizenship, to continue their march towards maximal inclusion by supporting this guarantee of free settlement!

Freedom of Education - as our citizenship is now subject to the Brannan proposal, and thus comes with the added burden of passing English exams, it behooves this state to expedite the process to all immigrants eager to become part of this Californian nation. Human rationality is a gift from the Lord God, and a godly government must cultivate it in all of its people, especially in the youth. Therefore, we must strive to increase citizenship and intelligence through learning institutions gifted to all citizens. Now, this country is a newborn one, and certainly we cannot expect all of these institutions to be government-provided. However, any recognition of this mission, for the good of the nation, is to be esteemed. Therefore, I propose thus-

"All citizens have the right to education, directed to the full development of citizens of California (e.g., English) and to the strengthening of respect for virtue and public morality. It shall promote understanding, tolerance, and fraternity among all inhabitants of California, for the maintenance of great peace under heaven. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Parents may choose the kind of education to be provided to their children."

Any future plans for educational programs can be passed in various levels of governance of this vaunted federal system. In the meantime, it would be best for the state to work with private organizations to provide the necessary education for future citizens, both immigrant and native-born. We call upon Brannan and his supporters, who so graciously fought for the English test of citizenship, to continue their crusade for an Anglophone California by supporting this initiative for a learned citizenry!

Freedom from Depravity - all great moral and cultural traditions upon God's earth believe in the existence of human wickedness, whether powered by demonic forces or mundane. All hold the existence of vice. As this country is newborn, it is not as tainted with the sins of the father republics and empires that its inhabitants have emigrated from. An individual sinner believes in the hope of forgiveness through repentance and obeisance towards a moral authority- as such, it is the moral duty of this state to set itself as a guarantor of virtue. Thus-

"All citizens and law-abiding visitors have the right to live under a government dedicated to the promulgation of virtue. The government shall commit itself to regular checks and inspections to maintain an incorruptible nature, punishing evildoers and those who abuse the power of the state. The government shall not infringe upon those who seek to spread wisdom that enhance the moral character of the state."

Any future plans for defining what virtue exactly is can be decided at a later date. We call upon Young and his supporters, who have so spread their moral code far and wide, hither and yon, throughout the continent, to uphold the protection of their code as well as the ethical codes of the other great traditions that exist in this country!

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

sniper4625 posted:

Your "Freedom of Settlement" would forbid us from controlling our borders to any degree,

The amendment amply states that internal movement may be limited in accordance to due process. All rights are by nature limited by good law, on a case-by-case basis. However, it is necessary to state the right in full, so the country may be forthright about the values that it stands for.

quote:

your "Freedom of Education" isn't really a Freedom so much as a mandatory requirement,

That is correct- it is the requirement, and the duty, of a good self-respecting country to teach its citizens! However, the right does not state whether education must be provided by the government, so much as guaranteed by it. The government may guarantee education through private institutions of learning. It is no more or less mandatory than the necessity of using English in matters of governance in this country.

quote:

and your "Freedom from Depravity" borders on Tyranny.

Is freedom from a corrupt government that seeks to enslave and steal from its subjects tyranny? Is freedom from a perverse and deviant order despotism? Mister Brannan, I find it appalling that a follower of the late Joseph Smith (pbuh) would so willingly cast off the ideas of your prophet. Do you not believe in the ultimate rule of the priesthood of your Government of God? Would you shrink away from the moral dictates and standards set by the faith you so cavalierly claim to follow?

quote:

If you wish to lay the foundation to import untold numbers of your brethren from the Orient, be less blatant about it, Emissary!

cxcxxxxx posted:

Utter and total madness. So long as I live I vow none of this ilk shall ever be more than a passing suggestion, from a would be tyrant.

Such injurious calumny and vile bigotry deigns no response.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Dear friends and neighbors,

The Congregation of God-worshippers Mission to California for Great Peace On This Earth would like to formally celebrate the completion of the constitutional convention, and commit our efforts to bettering this newborn nation we have settled in. While our prime directive is to preach the good word of Jesus and his little brother, it is supplemented by the desire to better all societies, so we may live in brotherhood and harmony.

To this end, we have decided to make Golden Bay our base of operations. This golden gateway is the destination for visitors and new citizens from all around the world, and a place where we may be of the effective service.

For our first act of service, we wish to establish the Saint Augustine’s Starter School for new arrivals in Yerba Buena. With the considerable educational resources this mission has at its disposal, we can provide the beginnings of a rock-solid education for the miners, prospectors, and most importantly citizens of this new republic. St. Augustine’s Starter School shall provide classes in Californian Civics, Language instruction (English, Spanish, Cantonese, and Taishanese), and wilderness courses from Introductory Gold-Panning to Field Survival to Camp Cooking.

The primary goal is to guide new arrivals into productive, well-informed, citizens of California, inculcating them with the values as befit long-term residents to this country. The secondary aim is to foster an environment beyond the work camps and beer-houses and music halls where Californians of different origins from all the nations and colors and creeds of this earth may intermix in a more- refined setting, dedicated to cultural and intellectual interchange. SASS is non-sectarian and open to all students, and education shall be provided gratis for the time being, funded by the mission but also open to aid of all kinds, both private and public. Details on curricula are forthcoming, and we humbly submit this proposal to the debate and discussion of the greater public. (3 AP)

For our second act of service, the Congregation would like to establish a different sort of mission- a trade mission from the Orient to California. Blessed with economic and financial ties by the Heavenly Father, we have at our disposal contacts in the treaty ports of Canton, Amoy, Foochow, Ningpo, and Shanghai- not to mention British Hong Kong and other locales. Your Mormonite Lord Young is correct at least when he links earthly riches to heavenly ones- indeed, to become wealthy is Godly, so long as it is done through ways that do not offend the Father of Heaven. So we are willing to sell our exotic commodities- teas, silks, spices, rhubarb- in the nascent marketplaces of California, in exchange for your accepted currency of gold, and the acceptance as neighbors and brethren. All Californians dream of the great gold mountain and a new place to start, so why not members of the most ancient and venerable civilization? We look forward to these new relations between the youngest son of the West with the oldest mother of the East. (3 AP)

To inaugurate these decisions, we shall be attending Mormonite Lord Young's cornucopia-fest, laden with both example texts of our upcoming Starter School, as well as samples of the goods we seek to sell in this burgeoning new market. We shall provide our finest dishes: Chancellor Cao's chicken, lemon beef, genuine chop suey, and auspicious biscuits. We do hope that the fest will be most welcoming to all. (2 AP to travel, 1 AP to the feast)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Buyers and sellers of the marketplaces of California! Today we are proud to announce a new voyage that will take Californian seamen on a Canadian ship to Chinese shores, connecting West to East. The See-Dong (西東) Expedition will bring both coasts of the Pacific closer together, in ties of amity and commerce. The HBCS Beaver is laden with gold and directives to my contacts back in China, who will direct the merchants participating on this voyage to the best locales in the legation ports for the finest of exotic commodities my homeland has to offer. This gracious donation on behalf of the Company will not go forgotten; the Congregation of God-worshippers is ever in the debt to these fine gentlemen of Canucky and their great white winter. See-Dong shall bring new wealth to a new nation. Let this be the beginning of many trade missions that will enrich all nations that seek to do business and make an honest living in California!

I intend to travel to Mormonite Lord Young's Moronious feast, where I shall detail this expedition and its opportunities further. Having now secured the commercial and educational futures of California for the undetermined period of time until my next turn of action, I shall retire to my study and attempt to crack the mysteries of this puzzle-book I am transcribing.

Excerpt of letter to Hong Rengan, British Hong Kong

Dear blessed cousin of the heavenly prince,

Joyous exhortations of the age be upon you. I hope this finds you and the congregation in good tidings. Our mission has begun in full in the barbarian land, and we have seen many sights. The laowai have many queer customs in matters of statecraft, which I will detail for you later. Suffice to say it will require more than a little faith to receive the full set of talents for good stewardship. To this end I have sent this trade mission with gold, which is most numerous in this country, so that we may begin ties of commerce, demonstrating the good name of the congregation through mutual prosperity and profit. It is with the help of this Seen-clare, who appears to be a Viscount, or perhaps an Earl, of a foreign trade-house. Maybe See-ing-Clear, as such aboriginal folk are named in such a manner. Their ship proves to be sturdy and swift, and I hope that you will use your network in the city appropriately...

Enclosed in the cargo is a cache of some curios from the new lands. From the Canuckian country far to the north of here I have bought various furs of small woodland and dainty creatures that are hunted for their pelts. One brandishes giant teeth, not unlike those of the eastern dwarves, and have giant flat tails that perhaps can be refashioned into ladies' fans for the imperials at court. There are some jars of some resin that their grand trees produce, which I assume can be used for lacquered jewel boxes, or perhaps in medicine. There are several great horns of the round-snouted water buffalo that dwells in the roaring rivers there as well. Please take note, Rengan- these are of fine quality, and may be ground into use for fertility potions. The mandarins should want to purchase such products from such rare beasts...

And in summary, these are the wild and wondrous sights I have seen thus far. I will continue to fuel the success of this mission, and of the victory of the congregation. Please, tell me of the news from home. How is the heavenly prince? Is he still agitating for the smashing of idols and the segregation of the sexes? What new visions from his elder brother has he received this week? I do hope that the ministry has gone well. As much as we despise what the Manchu has done to our people, let us remember that if they are to repent of their devilry, they may too be saved by our Heavenly Father above. Indeed, with the superior ministry of our righteous leader, I can naught but have faith that soon the mandarins themselves shall be converting to our dao...

Trade mission to China, 4 AP. Contribute to Mormonite feast, 1 AP. Work on translating Book of Momron to Chinese, 2 AP.

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Fellow citizens of California! Even as many excitements and thrilling crises envelop the frontiers of this newborn nation, greater work must be invested at the capital, the core of the republic. Here, the Taiping Mission seeks to do good and spread the good news of Heavenly Brother Hong, and so fulfill the precepts of the Heavenly Father above by both works and word.

And thus, it is in this time we announce the establishment of the Heavenly Love Hospital of San Francisco. This establishment shall serve as the first and premier private hospital to help all in the nation, specializing for now, the treatment of those afflicted with frontier ailments, from measles, to snakebite, to dysentery, to exhaustion. With the beginnings of such a medical system to serve the public, we may then rest easy from being afflicted by the fear of epidemics from smallpox to stabbings. The Heavenly Love Hospital will utilize cures and treatments from all cultures, combining wisdom both Western and Eastern, so long as none engender fraternization with demonic sources. As of now we only have space to house only a score of patients at a time, but the Love Hospital will increase its capacities as contributions increase. The God-worshippers Congregation of the Taiping would like to acknowledge and applaud the Hudson Bay Company's generous seed donation to the Love Hospital, and bless them in the name of the Heavenly Father and Brothers. May their mission of commerce and wealth abound, and we shall send glad tidings of their generosity to our brothers and sisters back in Old Cathay. After all, wealth stems from health.

And there is a spiritual health in addition to those of the physique. The work on the Heavenly Love Hospital has preoccupied much of my time this past season, and the rest of it has been spent on missionary work for the God-worshippers Congregation, extolling the virtues of Scripture and elucidating the will of God to the unchurched of Golden Bay. The Taiping mission seeks to enlighten the world with the visions of Heavenly Brother Hong, who has completed the revelation of the prophets who came before him. Even in the far lands of Old Cathay, the Congregation is teaching the people of the Celestial Empire the words of the Bible and dispelling devils, both human and infernal, with his Demon-Exterminating Sword. Come, Golden Bay, come California, come to the word and accept the completed Christianity that the Heavenly Father has seen fit to reveal to a humble Chinese scholar? Repent of your sins, reject idolatry, and serve God with sincere and loving hearts.

the Blessed Heavenly Brother Hong Xiuquan posted:

When our transgressions high as heaven rise,
How well to trust Jesus’ full atonement;
We follow not the demons, we obey
The holy precepts, worshipping alone
One God, and thus we cultivate our hearts.
The heavenly glories open to our view,
And every being ought to seek thereafter.
I much deplore the miseries of hell.
O turn ye to the fruits of true repentance!
Let not our hearts be led by worldly customs.

(+3 AP for hospital, +5 AP for preaching)

Maximo Roboto fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 19, 2016

• Locked thread