Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
Ill take General Stephen W. Kearny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It is not possible to eat me without insisting that I sing praises of my devourer?
General Stephen W. Kearny

Gentleman, let us form a nation that respects the natural rights of man, a society of voluntary cooperation and non agression, free of the trappings of slavery and servitude, a nation of law, property, and propsperity. It is only with the reigns of the state in the hands of all men, that we can accomplish this vision. As such, I propose a constitution in the name of the fathers of liberty, a constitution to embody the liberty of America, before its hijacking in the name of oligarchs and cronies.

A

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

General Stephen W. Kearny - Commander of California Battalion, Anglo President pro Tempore

To John C. Fremont,
If you would be so kind, please pursue a line of private correspondence with me, as I do think we could work something out to alleviate your current situation.

As for the suggestion of Brigham Young, I eagerly support his claim to the right of militia. Hemmed on all sides by foes current and future, well regulated militias at the state and local level will serve to bulwark the rights we both seem to hold dear. I heartily endorse his suggestion to the convention.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 29, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

What good are the Natural rights of men if they apply only to some? What faith is there to place in a state that claims to uphold the rights of liberty and property arbitrarily? have we become so sanctimonious and hypocritical that we wish to uphold little more than fedualism under the guise of republic? As to the mormon question, there can be only one proper conclusion. That they are men like any other. Men entitled to the rights of property and liberty we espouse our support for. We can ill afford to drive off settlers for superficial disagreements of church. Let them settle where they please, and preach what they will.

I cast my lot for option 3

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Gentleman, as we convene here today to discuss the framing of our soon to be nation, I feel for the first time I must exercise the power vested in me as President pro Tempore. I see among the men of property, influence, and hope, those who are little more than wolves in sheep’s clothing. I wish to inform those that serve a foreign union, or espouse the radical and liberal ideals of anarchy and tribalism, that though I wish no ill intent on their person, that they can for reasons I hope are evident, have no say in the construction of our nation. They are welcome to co-exist among us, and speak their mind as is the right of all men, but we cannot let anarchist lunacy, and foreign agents have any say in the construction of our republic.

Therefore, I hereby decree that no man of anarchist philosophy, or foreign service may remain present in this debate hall except as an observer, never a participant, and I hope that those gathered here today with a stake in our future nation, will support me in this measure.

Now, if I may digress to the discussion on hand, I maintain that the future of the nation must be entrusted to those god fearing and gentile men of property and rationale, be they protestant, Mormon, or convert. We can’t let our future be driven by the emotionality of women, nor the godless morality of those who do not worship the lord Christ. On this matter I must express my support for:

4 Let all Males who worship the lord Christ express their right to vote.

Furthermore, concerning the divisions within our society, I must agree that no concessions will be made between the classes. A single federal government representative of all shall remain supreme.
B **Shifted to A

As a side note concerning my stance on Mormonism, I hold nothing but deep respect for their god fearing ways, and believe them to be no more a threat than any other man of God, despite the occasional oddity of their life. However, I can’t express my approval of any conversion that occurs before the conclusion of this convention, as it would be little more than political posturing in my mind, rather than the spiritual redemption it represents. The question of my conversion will remain just that, a question, until the end of this convention, and the implementation of our nation’s executive office.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 1, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

General Stephen W. Kearny, Rresident pro tempore

I wish to adress something now that serves as a stain on my honor, and a hypocrisy to my views of liberty. That being, the unjust imprisonment of of John C. Frémont. I take no pride in what I did, and I now see my actions were rash, taken in the spur of the moment in the situation I found myself in. I wished to prevent the slip of the territory into military rule or despotism, and knew not whos views I could trust. I see now that in my attempts to restrain possible tyranny or injustice, I acted as a tyrant. Thus, I wish to extend an invitation to Frémont to attend our gathering in person, and as a free man. Private correspondence between us two gentlenman has shown us as equals, and with my deepest sincerity I recognize the sin I have comitted. I hope that we can preclude any future tensions between us two, but I recognize his right to think ill of me nontheless.

I hereby free Frémont so that he may attend the convention in person

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

General Stephen W. Kearny, President pro tempore

I was not expecting so many in this room to favor liberty purely for the sake of the matter, with no regard for pragmatism. Perhaps this will garner me a reputation for political instability, but so be it. With so many in the room wishing to put the reigns of the nation in the hands of whomever is in the room, Im afraid my conscious now demands a change in my stance. We cant allow the cause of liberty to be hijacked by the mob. It seems to me now that I must speak in favor of the arbitrary state divides I so earlier scorned. The stability and representation they bring will be needed to quell the fickle nature of the mob.

Shifting vote from B to A

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 1, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Let it be known for ease of debate, and reference, that I support the following measures without question. (Yes.)

Right to Freedom of Speech, Press and Assembly (Frémont)
Right to Freedom of Religion (Frémont)
Right To Bear Arms (Frémont)
Right to Emancipation (Frémont)
Right to a Fair Trial & Due Process (Frémont)
Right to Freedom From Unjust Searches and Seizures (Frémont)
Right to Property (Stockton)

The following measures I offer my halfhearted support onto, in lieu of better options, or pragmatism to ensure only the best for our budding nation. (Reluctant YES)

Right to maintain a militia (Stockton)
Right to Freedom From Monopolies (Frémont)

As for these measures, the only vote I may pass in good conscious, is a Nay. (No.)

Right to Freedom From Dynasties (Frémont)
Right to Settlement (Frémont)

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

The rights of men, and the pursuit of property is all well and good, but who shall defend them? Are we not to learn from the history of the American nation that a strong federal government is the only way to ensure liberty? I hereby announce the creation of the Federalist Party, and invite all those who wish to do their utmost to ensure that we are strong and solvent nation to join with me.

In brief, what we stand for:
  • A strong solvent federal government, able to effectively regulate trade and national defense
  • Federally established law and justice to uphold the rights of all men in the nation, no matter where they be found.
  • Foreign offices to represent us abroad, to show the world we are to be taken seriously
  • A robust and capable federal military well regulated and a step above a militia, suited to protecting or expanding our borders.
  • Enforcement of the rights we hold dear for all men in our borders.
  • Abolishment of slavery and other immoral crimes of that heinous nature, that trample on the very concept of self.
  • Federally controlled infrastructure and commerce, to ensure fair trade and dealings, as well as protection against theft and extortion.
  • The ability for distinct states to control their own future in all matters not related to war, interstate commerce, foreign dealings, and justice.

United we stand, divided we fall.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 4, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Maximo Roboto posted:

Dong Reagan (東雷根)

Honored delegates of the assembly,

We near the 11th hour of this debate. Yet, there are rights that are still yet to have been enumerated.

Freedom of Settlement - the Hays proposal is exclusionary, elevating one nationality or another over all peoples of this good earth. Such a plan would not befit the open and welcoming nature of this country's character, decided so far. The Frémont plan also adds specific proviso promising specific parcels of land, which seems excessively detailed for inclusion within a bill of rights. In its stead we seek recognition of freedom of settlement and internal movement, simply as thus:

"All citizens and law-abiding visitors possess the liberty to travel, reside in, and work in any part of California as they please, within the limits of respect for the liberty and rights of others, and may leave California and return at any time. The federal government of California, nor the states, nor the localities and municipalities, nor any private organization or entity may infringe upon this freedom, except through the due process of the law."

Any future plans for actual settlement can be made as legislation, not as constitutional amendment. We call upon Frémont and his supporters, who so kindly fought for universal suffrage and open citizenship, to continue their march towards maximal inclusion by supporting this guarantee of free settlement!

Freedom of Education - as our citizenship is now subject to the Brannan proposal, and thus comes with the added burden of passing English exams, it behooves this state to expedite the process to all immigrants eager to become part of this Californian nation. Human rationality is a gift from the Lord God, and a godly government must cultivate it in all of its people, especially in the youth. Therefore, we must strive to increase citizenship and intelligence through learning institutions gifted to all citizens. Now, this country is a newborn one, and certainly we cannot expect all of these institutions to be government-provided. However, any recognition of this mission, for the good of the nation, is to be esteemed. Therefore, I propose thus-

"All citizens have the right to education, directed to the full development of citizens of California (e.g., English) and to the strengthening of respect for virtue and public morality. It shall promote understanding, tolerance, and fraternity among all inhabitants of California, for the maintenance of great peace under heaven. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Parents may choose the kind of education to be provided to their children."

Any future plans for educational programs can be passed in various levels of governance of this vaunted federal system. In the meantime, it would be best for the state to work with private organizations to provide the necessary education for future citizens, both immigrant and native-born. We call upon Brannan and his supporters, who so graciously fought for the English test of citizenship, to continue their crusade for an Anglophone California by supporting this initiative for a learned citizenry!

Freedom from Depravity - all great moral and cultural traditions upon God's earth believe in the existence of human wickedness, whether powered by demonic forces or mundane. All hold the existence of vice. As this country is newborn, it is not as tainted with the sins of the father republics and empires that its inhabitants have emigrated from. An individual sinner believes in the hope of forgiveness through repentance and obeisance towards a moral authority- as such, it is the moral duty of this state to set itself as a guarantor of virtue. Thus-

"All citizens and law-abiding visitors have the right to live under a government dedicated to the promulgation of virtue. The government shall commit itself to regular checks and inspections to maintain an incorruptible nature, punishing evildoers and those who abuse the power of the state. The government shall not infringe upon those who seek to spread wisdom that enhance the moral character of the state."

Any future plans for defining what virtue exactly is can be decided at a later date. We call upon Young and his supporters, who have so spread their moral code far and wide, hither and yon, throughout the continent, to uphold the protection of their code as well as the ethical codes of the other great traditions that exist in this country!

Utter and total madness. So long as I live I vow none of this ilk shall ever be more than a passing suggestion, from a would be tyrant.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

OOC:

Goons will goon so this is a view only last backup of the char info spreadsheet on the off chance its of any use

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WAwMHBxk_GmSk_9uQFbyXMCWKohhyI-YcEF3ETpG4_0/edit?usp=sharing

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Assembled ladies and gentlemen, it is with great pleasure that I wish to announce my Presidential bid on behalf of the Federalist Party. For these past few years I’ve served as a de facto ruler on behalf of all men assembled today, and shown myself steadfast in protecting the beliefs I stand for, and those written into the federalist platform. I hope I will be given the chance to continue this honor, as the first democratically elected leader of our great state. Thank you, and may it be a chivalrous race for all.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Assembled gentlemen, before I begin I wish to thank those who have shown me their support profusely. Neither I, nor the nation will forget your commitment to peace, prosperity, and property, no matter the outcome of this election. I thank you all.

To cleave to the matter at hand, I wish to implore all those who have not yet cast their vote, to vote for the reasonable choice in the federalist party. Together we can make this land a land of prosperity and commitment to the rights of man.

I maintain my support for :
  • Property rights
  • A strong solvent national govt to provide a guarantee to all men that their rights will be upheld, and face no trouble from any sect in our noble nation
  • Business interests to strengthen and support our young economy
  • National work projects alongside private ventures to provide much needed infrastructure as to promote trade and national defence
  • A homestead act to encourage settlers to flock to our nation
  • Sensible immigration controls to ensure frenzied populism may never stiffle our nations commitment to the rights we hold so dear.
  • A strong national defence, and robust foreign policy to ensure closer relations with britian, and alleviation of tensions with our neighbors.
  • Policies that will usher in an era of propserity and peace for our beloved nation.

Gentlemen, for those that have remained silent, I implore you to make the sensible choice and see a federalist at the helm of our budding nation. Thank you, and good luck to all those running, for no matter the outcome I look forward to continuing to shape our destiny along side all those assembled here today.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

Such vim and vigor from the good senators Sutter and Brannan, for a moment I was worried such pety feuds may be absent from our republic. Now, honor it is to be elected the first president of our soon to be great nation, I must inform you that ive deemed such vanities as portraits and speeches to be immaterial for the moment. As such, I will cleave directly to the matter at hand and discuss the proposed legislation I see before me.

The California Railways Act by the one and only Senator Brannann has my full support, as well as the full support of the federalist party in the matter. I urge our senators to vote alongside his proposal, as national infrastructure is a priority of our platform. An intelligent and fair legislation all around.

The Gold Revenue Act by Senator Hays also shares the full support of the federalist party, as the means of solvency it shall provide is crucial. I expect a fair deal of resistance from those black hearted theives who wish only to rake our nation for their own gain, but regardless of the opposition such cowards will likely present, let my stance be known.

As for Senator Hardings proposed bill on country-wide emancipation Im afraid on this I must remain silent. Though I agree that slavery is a vile hypocrisy, there are far more pressing issues we must face, before we tackle something as divisive as the slave issue. Perhaps a compromise, but at this time I can not in good faith take a stance on a bill that creates such a divide. I still myself remain opposed to slavery as a practice, but it is not an issue to tackle so early on. Once our foundations are in place, I will gladly weigh in on measures of slavery.

In other news, I wish to once again proclaim my intention to attend the feast being held by Governer Young, and I hereby invite all officers of military that forged our nation, both anglo and mormon to attend with me. Donate 1 ap to feast

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

On the subject of my cabinet, and the supreme court;

I've spen the last hours approaching the best and the brightest among the federalist party to fill the vacancies in my new administration. To the supreme court, and the cabinet I have nominated those among the federalist party offering the best to serve the nation. Some standout roles, that diverge from party lines yet still represent talented folk are to follow. I hope our noble senate will have no qualms with my suggestions to the court, and the cabinet.

Standout roles (ooc: actual players)

The honorable and just José de los Santos Berreyesa to head the newly created California troopers, rangers, federal brigands, or otherwise. His expertise in command, knowledge in the field, skillin the saddle, and bilingual traits make him an excellent man for the job, and I expect him to perform well in upholding federal law.

The fair Jessie Ann Benton Fremont to serve as the first Post Madame General of our nation, and to orchestrate the creation and operation of our first national mail office, the california post.

Further appointments may be to follow.

To the wise admiral stocktons suggestion of mothballing our fleet, I offer my full support until such a time as we have a proper and funded naval corp with which to utilize the vessels.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

Good gentleman of the senate, I wish to adress you today on a number of things.

First, and foremost, is the firebrand José de los Santos Berreyesa. By all due accounts, he is a somewhat radical, and passionate... man in his views. But is a man not entitled to his views? I fully back his right to speak as he will, as I back the rights of all men to speak as they will. However, speak[i, is the key word in support. I believe that he will [i]act with the utmost dignity befitting his office, and I maintain my commitment of faith in his leadership abilities. Yet, and I mean no threat, nor disrespect, to the good Mr Berreyesa, seeking only to quash the fears of the most vocal of his detractors, let me say unequivocally, that should he misuse the powers of his office, he will will find himself on the street, or hung by the neck, as according to the gravity of his offense. Yet, this is a fear I do not believe will come to pass. Though he has his ways about him, some among you are seeking to condemn a man who has not yet had his chance to act, and to display his ability, and where is the fairness in that I ask?

As for his proposals to the senate, I humbly support them all, and urge the federalist party to back them as well, should they find themselves proposed. However I feel that I must make a forcible distinction. The man offering wealth, is doing so purely out of noble and just civic virtue. Should I find evidence that he has, for lack of a better turn of phrase, simply bought preferentially, I would expect that there will be hell to pay in the courts.

As a final note on this subject, and one directed entirely to José de los Santos Berreyesa, In this im afraid I must be blunt, though my intention is not to chide you in front of the senate. Two of your proposals for the rangers had my direct backing, and I was informed of your intention. The third, which I adressed above has caught me blind, and I dont particularly like suprises. Though I can see the necessity of the measure.

Now, gentleman, let me digress to my main point of discussion. I wish to inform you of a budding revenue bill that I plan to have federal allies, or any noble senator willing to take the reigns, bring to session soon enough. However, before I further elaborate if wish the good men assembled to comment on the first two tennents I have worked out.

Namely the:
  • License on vice: a federal license to run legal sources of vice and sin, such as gambling houses, and strumpet houses. It's a sin we all know will occur, and federal regulation could turn a profit
  • The tariff act, a 5% tariff on seaborne goods to turn federal revenue.

If anyone assembled has suggestions for other sources of revenue, or complications involving the abstract of current proto-proposals, please bring it to my attention ahead of time, and I would be most thannkfull. I hope that the conclusion of mmy first year will see a federal office that can stand solvent, and being to lay the foundations for a future of prosperity.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 8, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I throw my weight behind the Chinese inclusion act and implore all loyal federalists to do the same. Strong border controls are mandatory for a smooth transition from immigrant to citizen.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I wish to express federalist support, for both SB10: The Postal Service Act as well as SB 9 - Security and Revenue Act posted].

I also express my intention to veto any bill concering the subject of slavery, until the first year of my term has passed, or the federal govt is solvent and capable.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

Assembled gentleman, today I wish to present to you the final draft of a revenue act I hope that this senate will see realized after a period of debate and discussion. The provisions, in their basic and editable form are as follows:

The kearny revenue act.

Provision one, the vice tax:
1)A federal license will be required to operate any Gambling house, Brothel, Bar, Saloon, or peepshow.
2)The cost of the license to be acquired by the owner within the first six months of operation are as follow:
  • Brothels: 15$
  • Bars or Saloons: 6$
  • Gambling houses:10$
  • Peepshows: 1$
4) The license shall cover a period of 2 years, to be renewed no later than 30 months after first issue.
5) Any proprietor found without a license will be subject to a period of one month to obtain one, at which time if still unwilling or unable, their establishment will be seized and sold at auction.
6) the provisions here stated will be enforced by the California rangers, as well as the local authority.
7) disputes towards the provision will be handled at the federal court level.
8) State level agencies to provision and present said license shall be created to inspect and present licenses.
9) Licenses can only be presented to establishments of good faith, that is none that have slave or children whores, and none that engage in otherwise unlawful or abhorrent practices.

Provision two, The alchemical mandate.
1)A small portion of the gold tax, no greater than .025% of all collected shall go to financing alchemical and hermetic ventures to the benefit of the state.
2)The president shall maintain direct supervision and recruitment in this aspect.
3)The works of John Dee and Hermes Trismegistus shall serve as a model in our scientific pursuits.
4)The Establishment of a regulatory research body to discuss and implement advances nation wide.

Provision three, The property tax.
1)All property shall be subject to a tax set at state level, to be no lower than .3% and no higher than 1%.
2)State governors shall have direct control over the levy and collection of this tax, with 60% of revenues to be directed to the federal govt, and the remaining 40% into the state coffers to do with as the governors wish.

Provision 4, the salary act.
1)All federal officials shall receive stipends in order to provide for the service they present to the country, the exact amounts I expect will be the result of heated debate.

Secondly I wish to back the words of Chief Ranger Berreyesa and wish his men well as they execute their duties to the nation.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I wish to announce here today, that I have interviewed and spoken with near 100 men, of every background, faith, and sex, to dsicern the best candidates for the supreme court. Among the first concern in my mind was to promote equality, fairness, and security from political tyranny, and cronyism. I have done my best in this regard, and the diverse body of judges that I have selected will stand testament to those in the country that wish to see our dream fulffilled. I have picked only those of proper views, proper status, and proper intelligence and class. Men who would stand to represent the positive qualities of our law in court. As such, having drawn from only the best and brightest while seeking diversity, it should come as no suprise that my appointees are 9 white men, 5 Federalist, 4 Golden Eagle. Thank you, and long may they serve.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I fully intend to veto SB12

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Barbed Tongues posted:

3 AP: Survey and lay claim to a wooded/river area in Nimrod in gold rush territory for the future site of a federal paper mill to be used in the production of stamps - utilizing the new federal monopoly over stamp production as a basis.

3 AP: Lease all mining rights in the future stamp-paper mill site to the House Lark Mining Company and embrace gold rush fever.

President Kearny

Continue to aggrandize yourself at the expense of the respectability of the federal government and you'll soon find yourself without a post. I hope to see either a stamp production site in an area devoid of gold deposits, or your resignation. The disgrace of termination is quit unfitting treatment for a married madame, but I am no gentleman.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I wish to graciously thank Governer Young for his support in showing that our young government will indeed see its law enforced.

Therefore, I wish to travel to nimrod post haste [1 AP]. Once there I will meet with mr young, and take command of the Moromon battalion in order to lead them out to face these interlopers and present them with the reality that they inhabit an independent california, and will adhere to our gold taxes, our respect for religious freedom, and our way of life. Should they be unwilling, then we will expel them, by force if need be. Should they not be willing to listen to reason, and abide by rule of law and or become citizens, we will sieze their gold for the coffers of the federal governnment, and send them on their way. Should they resist, violence will no doubt be meant with violence. After the rabble is dispersed the mormon battalion is free to go its own way, and may even wish to stake their claim on the mines. Any prisoners taken will be left in the custody of governer young. I invite any man seeking to aid the republic in showing that is a functional entity, to offer himself in service.

6 AP to lead and travel with the mormon battalion to expel these "settlers" in a show of force if they will not abide by our law.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

A public correspondence to Sergei Sokolov:

To the gentleman and tradesman Sokolov,

While I admire your.... alacrity in capitalizing on the many wrecks and abandoned craft littering our harbour, I can not in good faith support private claim to abandoned vessels in what is surely federally controlled sea. Where the vessels to be found out in open ocean, surely that would be another case, but as they are for all purposes adrift in the confines of federally controlled sea, allowing private enterprise to capitalize on this fact would be poor at best, quite possibly illegal at worst. The fact remains that we nonetheless need someone to take charge of the clog in our ports, and with the navy in a state of non existant disarray, the use of federally contracted private individuals is plausible. Though I am on campaign at present, I ask that you hold off your "claim" to the vessels until I return so that we may discuss possible solutions within the realm of law. The results of you independetly laying claim to what is a federal territory, do not bode well, and I wish to avoid any... unsavory results that may come your way. When I return to my office I invite you over for brandy and lunch, so that we can discuss this as a venture in line with the law, and proper private enterprise.

Yours Sincerely,
President Stephen Kearny.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

Two letters arrive before congress from president Kearny, borne by a courier. 2 AP

Disobedience, Disrespect, Dereliction of duty, and Violation of the Law, a case to the senate for the expulsion of Senator Hays.

My friends, recent acts have forced my hand in this matter, and the federalists have convened in correspondence and a willing senator will bring this matter to the senate committee. Senator Hays shown disregard and disrespect for his office near constantly since he was appointed, and now his acts show disregard for both federal and state law, jurisdiction, and common sense. I’m talking of course, of his willingness to undercut both the President, and the Good Governor of nimrod when dealing with a foreign powers citizens. The case against him is as follows, and I wish to remind people such as senator Harding and the Republicans that his expulsion would see an end to the vile practice of slavery in our republic.

• Disregard for the office he was elected to. Having voted only on 6 of 15 acts, he spent more time stuffing his pockets in the gold fields than he did chaperoning our young state.

• Disrespect for the office he was elected to. His willingness to abandon his seat aside, he has repeatedly and publically stated his willingness to insult and deride the senate and the nation he presents a façade of loyalty too. The fact he pretends his allegiance only to refer to himself as a “Texan” aside, he spits on the legitimacy of his own office, and I quote:
    “I'm a bit ashamed to tell you this but I'm a Senator”
    “hell I don't think much of us either”

• Willingness to stall the provisions of the senate in the defense of the vile act of slavery. This should be self-explanatory to the gentlemen assembled today. The risk was so great I was forced to threaten a veto to ensure that for the first few sessions, his immoral desires wouldn’t tear us apart and leave us rudderless as a budding nation.

• Undercutting both the executive office, and the state of Nimrod to conduct private diplomacy. A mere senator (of another state mind you) rode into Nimrod with an armed band, to directly undercut a deal between the Governor of Nimrod, and the president of the nation to attempt to forge a deal to resolve a situation. Not only was his conduct far out of his jurisdiction, it was entirely immoral and dishonest, for he can neither speak for President and Governor Young, nor he can strike a deal with the encamped miners. He lied to them for the sake of his ego, making promises that can’t be kept, and he undermined the state of nimrod, if not the whole nation. He’s conducting private diplomacy in the name of the state with little more than an armed band, who refer to themselves as “Texans” not Californians. Its little wonder people have disregard for the Republic, when we have senators that identify themselves as foreigners first playing king.

In short, the Federalist Party wishes to begin expulsion procedures against Californian (or is it Texan?) Senator Hays, and asks support of all those who wish to see slavery resolved, and our nations integrity upheld. His actions are utterly dishonest at best, and near treasonous at worst.

Federalist support for:

SB 14 - Californio Enfranchisement Act posted:

For the Purposes of the Citizenship Exams, Spanish shall be included as an acceptable language.

Having spoken with Senator Brannan, as well as the federalist having shown regard for this measure during our funding, I offer our support of the bill. It would be assinine to deprive educated or landed californios based on language. Many among us speak English as well as Spanish, as do many among them. Let this be the first step in healing any divides between the spanish majority, and anglo minority.

OOC:
Sniper4625 - Senator Brannan - Yesterday at 11:19 PM
@Takanago - John C. Frémont , @cxc - Commander in Chief Kearny as the only other people who voted for the Security and Revenue Act, FSAD wants you to sign off on making the tarriff part general revenue (as originally intended) instead of specifically for funding ICE

I do indeed sign off on this

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Dec 14, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

] Ignoring the rantings of the mad senator, Kearny and a delegation walk towards the opposing delegation of miners, with hands raised to dispel the good senators lies he so roundly proposes.

Addressing hays in passing he speaks 1 ap:

Very good senator, filled with two faced populism, and a façade of honesty as is your usual habit. Now good people Mariposa, my name is President Stephen Kearny and I welcome you all. I don’t want to lend credence to the voice of this madman, but I feel it would be un-gentleman like to address the fears and lies he’s trying to put in your head. First off let me say that he doesn’t represent anyone but his own ego, and his claims of violence are as bogus as his claims of caring about your situation. He’s not here for anything but his own enterprise, as are you all fair settlers. Let me just say that no one here is going to fear violence on my part, and I’m not the one firing in the air and shouting, and with that said I’ll go ahead and dismiss the concerns this snake may of stuck in your heads. There’s nothing to his words but the lies of a madman trying to use your livelihoods as bargaining chips.
First off, there aren’t any threat of violence from me and my gang, nor any official of our government.

Second off the good senator can stamp his feet about us coming to steal your gold, but I bet he didn’t inform you he was the one to pass the gold tax, as a senator? Didn’t think so. He passed it along with a little police force known as the California rangers, and when he didn’t get the job he had himself a little fit over it. If he cares about your hard earned wealth than I soon expect hell to be frozen over.

Thirdly and finally, how can a man claim those bigshots in San Francisco don’t care about the little man, when the presidents here in person, man to man, to work out some things with yall?
With that said I’d like to talk to you about what’s going on here. I don’t have any designs on your gold or your lives, and I don’t plan to sell your women to a cult or whatever nonsense the belligerent senator is claiming. I just want to sit down and work out a way we can make sure there won’t be any issues between yall here and the government.

I know the reason that many of you made the march here is for gold, and I also know that almost none of yall had any idea we were looking to collect a portion of it for the state under the senator’s bill. I can’t in good faith show up to enforce a law yall didn’t know about, and I don’t plan to. Anything you’ve found is yours, the federal government isn’t looking to take your hard earned property if you didn’t even know we existed.

However, now that I’m here we got to agree to get something organized out here to give yall a bit of law and order. You’re all in our republic now know it or not, and you’ve got to follow our laws. Laws much like your own, protecting a man’s freedom, liberty and property, and laws I don’t expect any of you to find much issue with. You have the right to speak think and worship as you wish, and to have your property and rights respected and protected from any minority or majority, be it Mormon, Anglo, or Mexican, but you have to work with us.

I aint coming here to take your gold or your lives, I’m here to extend you all the offer of joining our republic. You all would be free to live as you are now, to work and worship as you wish, to elect your leaders and your laws, and to be kept protected and find some order in these wild lands. All I’m asking in return is that you recognize we got a nation out here, and respect our ways the best you can, so that we can respect yours. Don’t let some petulant populist use yalls lives as chips in his game, just sit on down with me and we can hash out a way you all can become citizens, you’ve come this far and endured all that hardship for your future. Don’t throw it all away for some wealthy snake’s cries of radicalism and resistance. I’m not asking for your gold or your property, just your respect, and your understanding.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny

I know you're one for facades and falsitudes Hays, but Ive yet to see these people appoint you their speaker so perhaps you should let them speak.My business here is with the people of maripossa, not their self appointed leader, whom as far as I can tell has found no support. Should that situation change Ill be glad to adress you as if you're worthy of being addressed. Until then, Id ask you let the people speak their own words, and ideas.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Dec 14, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

OOC:

quote:

Fall Sick and Die - Today at 5:12 PM
So I will speak to you as the head of the miners
And you can post the conversation we have to the thread, OK?

A letter arrives back in the capitol, to be read before the senate, townsfolk, and published in print.

A recorded dialouge between President Kearny, and Jack Hornblood, elected representative of Mariposa during the Mariposa Miner Fracas. As recorded by Ranger Randolph Bierce.

Hornblood: This has gotten out of hand, Mr. President... I've listened to a lot of your fancy words, but what kind of man are you what puts Mormons above common folk, back in the US we drove em off, and you've let em stand here, the so-called authority **spits

Kearny: Well mr Hornblood, no ones being put above anyone else. Im only here cause yall are roughin up our folk, and mormon or not they're still our folk. Out here we uphold the law and respect a man no matter what he would say or think, and should you all here choose to respect that, id sally out on here to protect the same rights of property and religion for you all. I know you might think little of the strange folk, but they're law abiding citizens like any other and we have a duty to protect them and uphold the law we created.

Hornblood: What kind of law is this? We set out thinking we'd be in a new America, but now it seems like the whole world's turned upside-down! Why, you've as much as given this entire land to the Mormons, without a word from anyone else who might be here... we weren't invited to any fancy conventions. Now the Mormons have the whole of the mother lode as far as discovery's been made, and 2/3 of the central valley. Some of the richest land on this Earth, and for what? Why shouldn't we be able to make our own laws... none of us here are Mormon? Why shouldn't we make our own state here, if you were able to do so? The number of miners down the Sierras here is far more than live in much of the rest of California! We won't be forced to pray to Joseph Smith, or to take unnatural number of wives!

Kearny: Far as I can tell none of yall were present when it came time to call this convetion. But that's beside the point as you seem to be thinking im here to enforce mormon law. You're not gonna have to pray to any man you dont want, nor are you going to have to take wives of any denomination. If any man mormon or otherwise tries to tell you that you've gotta do anymore than mind your own buissness then ill be more than glad to go ahead and lead a militia on over to protect your rights to that. But the fact here still remains you all settled in a nation of its own right, and you're going to have to respect our ways and laws. It seems you all here are here as buissness men to make a profit, so why not look at the situation and cut ourselves a deal? All Im asking is yall neither harass nor encroach on the mormons, and to bring a little law an order out here. Nothing wrong with some lawmen to make sure no ones robbing another man of his property, or forcing him to do as he dont want to do. Im not here to pick a fight and it doesnt seem many of you are either, but we cant have a lawless band in our midst. You go ahead and let us get some law and order out here, we let you get on as you are, hell you can even appoint your own mayors and officials and get your voice in the system, and everyone wins. Sierras are safer, they get some order, and everyone gets an easier time seeking their fortune. I myself aint a mormon, and those rangers over there aint mormon either, you've got mormons and other folk out here just to see that their ways are upheld, ways that give every man a right to do as he wishes so long as he isnt harming any others.

Hornblood: So what you're saying is... we can set up our own town government here, and we don't need to worry about the Mormons coming? And they won't be using our gold to build their heathen temples and the like?

Kearny: Let me tell you, I find a trace of that going on and ill be out here myself to lead you to tear it down. All I want is to make sure every man got an equal chance out here, be he mormon, mexican, or migrant. You can get your local govt, hold your own democratic elections for officials and work your way into the system like any other men, but you all gotta realize we got a system and a nation out here. I can promise you though, that no man mormon or otherwise has any claim to your property of beliefs, and your way of life. So what do you say? You all willing to start the process into integrating yourselves into this, and shaping it as you wish?

Hornblood : We'll hold you to that, Mr. President... we'll make sure that our way of life here ain't interfered with by Mormonism, this is a golden land, and there's a lot more of us lookin' to head here. If a man can come here and find his fortune, and prosper, and there's law and order, well there's a lot more of us that will come here, and live off the fat of this land. We'll settle for your Rangers enforcing the law, as you see it, here in Mariposa.

Kearny: well with that mr Hornblood, Ill shake your hand and take my leave

Hornblood: One more thing, Mr. President. Seein' as how there was a lot of strong words in the moment here, what would you say to pretendin' that you didn't hear Mr. Hays' resignation. After all it was awful loud, and voices got mighty heated. There weren't nothin' written down, isn't that how it oughta be done anyway? He was just tryin' to help us minin' folk, and it would go a long way to settlin' things...

Kearny: Ill have to hold the man himself to speak that, and there's still the matter of the charges in our senate, but well have to see how he approaches it. Number of us have already offered clemency should he go ahead and stop this.

Hornblood: Ain't nothing wrong with a man standin' up for Christian values, if you'd speak for him in the senate, we'd be obliged

Kearny: Ill see what can be done for the man

Hornblood: Also you got any of them Chinese women you could send our way??

Kearny: Got a chinese fellow in the rangers Ill have talk to yall

Hornblood: Well then, see ya later Mr. President!

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

President Kearny, Leader of the Californian Federalist Party.

Upon arriving back from the situation he expertly resolved in Mariposa, Kearny takes care of a number of governmental issues, such as signing off on the good post madams acts, as well as appointing a loyal federalist to the position of Secretary Of State, so that we may conduct foreign business.

In a brief speech to congress he summarizes the mans career, and concludes:

"thus I hereby give my support behind the Federalist Theodore Harding as my candidate to secretary of state, to be sworn in upon approval by this body."

Departing the congressional hall, he stops by in the town square and announce his intent to alter somewhat the nature of the federalist party, stressing unity among all Californians, and a strong national identity, before standing in front of the now gathering crowd and giving a speech and unveiling the new motiff of the federal party, now the Californian Federalist Party.

A merger of the old federalist symbol and the California Condor, the new motiff is supposed to represent loyalty to the new nation, and its budding identity.

Unitas, Equitas, Libertas. -Unity, Equality, Liberty

He speaks:

I see among you today many of my friends, my allies, those that I’ve not yet had the pleasure to meet, and perhaps even, my enemies. I see among you Men and women, white and colored, Protestant and Mormon, Californo and settler. I see among you one thing that binds us, apart from our gold fever. I see among you the nation of California.
I’ve returned here today, after long and weary travel, fresh from diffusing threats to our nation masterminded by those who would see us crumble for their own profit. I’ve returned here today to continue to serve in my office, without pay or rest, so that I may protect and guide the future of this nation towards the glory it deserves. I address you now to share my visions and my hopes for our future, and the dreams of the CFP as it looks towards our combined future after the gold rush.

A long passionate speech stressing the importance of national unity regardless of background, the selfless contributions of Kearny who works without pay, and recently resolved the first internal crisis of the nation, and the tireless work of the federalist party to see that all men may find glory in California. The speech drums up support for both Kearny and the CFP, but it also includes a note of caution. A warning against those who seek to divide and cause strife in our new nation, those who seek to enslave the minds of the people with lies, and to corrupt and degrade our populace. No names are named, but the Hays tax is mentioned as an example of the sort of internal corruption that could plague our nation and rob our people was it not for Kearny and the federalists ensuring that a man free of bias and corruption was appointed to lead the Rangers. A final warning about the machinations of those who would seek to divide us is given, before he ends on a lighter note stressing the importance of unity, behind such selfless and California loving parties such as the CFP, after all there is a future in this nation past the gold, and it will take the federalists to see the full glory of that future.

Kearny ends his rally by tossing purple sashes with the federalist logo into the crowd, urging likeminded citizens to spread his message far and wide as he plans to travel and speak to the nation. Let old divisions be forgotten, he adopts the motto of “California first”

(1 ap for travel, 3 to hold rallies and build federalist sympathy, and national identity, as well as to encourage members to spread the message)

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 18, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Samuel Brannan

A further amendment to the Citizenship Laws of our country: (1 AP)

This will allow every Resident now here to vote in next year's Representative elections, so they should so choose. If the people wish to have their voices heard, they will pursue citizenship, with all the rights and responsibilities thereof. If they still consider themselves Americans and temporary visitors only, then they will not. Simple.

This act of unification of all prospective californian people has the approval of the CFP and myself. I fully support the measure to ensure greater inclusion into our fine nation. Let all those who wish to be californians, and practice our ways find it easier to do so.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

I know the 5 federal justices in our court (the majority) stand by Sokolov's right to petition. Im sure the rangers have all the proper ability to carry out ensuring his payment.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

It takes a great deal of stress of my shoulders to see that Mr Sutter has decided to become amiable to the courts ruling. I hope that with this rift solved Senator Sutter will be once again treated with a modicum of respect, having finally yieled to the rulings of the court and nation. I also do hope that the good Sokolov will be willing to use a tiny portion of his new wealth to draw up proposals for the CPF Unity Uniform for our rallies, using his knowledge of the hat and clothing trade.

With regards to the good senator harding, should you fell that the Rangers attempts to win the faith of Downieville are not enough, id be more than willing to attend in person as to stymie any sentiment that the men in San Fransisco are little more than distant tyrants, id be more than willing to make an occasion of it, and shake hands with the local leaders.

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 17, 2016

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

sniper4625 posted:

Senator Samuel Brannan

Omnibus Bill 1850

Allocations
Ranger Upkeep - 3
ICE Upkeep - 3
San Francisco Customs House - 5
Supreme Court - 1
Citizenship Board - 1
2 Wealth to the provisos below
Total Expenditure: 15

Citizenship Board
The Citizenship Board shall be formed, comprising of 5 Appointees (Insert names here, 2 GEP, 2 Fed, 1 Republican.)

Judiciary Act

A system of Inferior Federal Courts shall be established, [steal from the Judiciary Act 1790]

Land Registry Office

A Federal Land Office shall be established in order to coordinate and grant Land Claims, honoring as possible the existing verified legal claims.
President Kearny

The federal party throws its weight behind the omnibus, so that we may ensure the free elections the federalists and allies promised, and began the process for, can be reached as soon as possible.

In other news, Sokolov has shown himself a brilliant orator and leader, and he is hereby appointed to be a Speaker and council member in the Californian Federalist Party.

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Arriving in Downieville, I hold my rally stressing national unity, and the federalist role in diffusing the most recent crisis. Meet and great the local leaders, show them the nation is here to help them, and ensure no one can do them wrong, etc, Fluffless post so as to not miss action deadline.

(1AP for travel 2 AP for rally alongside legitimacy effort of the rangers)

cxcxxxxx fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cxcxxxxx
Sep 7, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Charles Lucien Bonaparte
Ornithologist, Vice President

I am terminating my membership of the Federalist party.

I believe the party lacks a coherent ideology and is merely a vehicle for President Kearny's political aspirations. The founding charter which first appealed to me spoke of a strong central government. However, President Kearny, rather than strengthening the executive, has sided with the Mormon particularists in the Senate, who have a stranglehold over legislation. Instead of remedying that with a decisive show of strength by organising new elections and appealing to the electorate for a mandate, he has allowed the efforts of his government officials to be wasted battling the intransigence of the Mormon special interests.

The development of our nation's bureaucracy has probably been set back years thanks to Senator Brannan's obsession with bizarre Mormon fantasies, such as pointless and expensive railway systems. That President Kearny tolerates this demonstrates his lack of a coherent political philosophy.

The party will have no love lost for the man who takes federalism to mean aggrandizing the office of the vice president to the power of the Caesars of Rome. The fact you attempted to hijack authority clearly designated to the people and the senate from a position of powerless tie breaking, suggests that perhaps all frenchmen seek the blatant hypocrisies so cleanly displayed in your own "revolutions".

• Locked thread