Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WHETHER THIS IS A BASTARD SETUP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Ok so scum get the names of the scum team in the role PM from Max and it's not in the Dropbox.

Didn't know that thanx for info :) :) :)

##vote tobbs

you're tunneling and also this just seems intellectually dishonest to me. I don't think you enacted the thought process you're presenting here.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Some conclusions:

- I am bad at oblique hints. I think that we should, in future, simply have those who figure out the daily password figure out, by speaking generally, whether a password share is worth potentially giving scum something, based on the info that they received. Like I said earlier, it's going to be a value judgment that we'll have to make, with the understanding that "scum probably gets something good out of it", but I think we can manage to discuss the value of what we receive without giving the game away. Either way, cross that bridge when we come to it.

- Kash has at least been consistent about being unable to access Dropbox from work but why, then, ask for password help this morning, shortly before noting that he can't enter passwords?

- That said, I think he's right that Tobbs is building cases on a premise that he's admitted he has no grounding for, and that's weird.

- Arguably, if scum don't have the doc and can't coordinate - even given that this is pretty speculative - it makes it harder for town to draw connections between players and scumhunt. This goes double if scum needed to solve the puzzle to learn their scumbros, which is equally unfounded. Like Tobbs even said, who can say but scum? I think if it's still a mafia game - and it is - it's more likely than not that these basic elements are still in place. (Especially the second. No way are scum going in blind day 1 to case, that's insane).

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT WHETHER THIS IS A BASTARD SETUP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

A bastard setup is where Max gives you a role but you are, in fact, vanilla. Everyone is vanilla.

YOU PLAYED DRAWROF.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
The upshot of all of this is that going this hard off of admittedly unfounded speculation is weird.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

In that we're not all vanilla.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

A bastard setup is where Max gives you a role but you are, in fact, vanilla. Everyone is vanilla.

:confused:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Flying Leatherman posted:

- Arguably, if scum don't have the doc and can't coordinate - even given that this is pretty speculative - it makes it harder for town to draw connections between players and scumhunt. This goes double if scum needed to solve the puzzle to learn their scumbros, which is equally unfounded. Like Tobbs even said, who can say but scum? I think if it's still a mafia game - and it is - it's more likely than not that these basic elements are still in place. (Especially the second. No way are scum going in blind day 1 to case, that's insane).

Other insane possibilities in this setup:

-You lynch me without me even being able to claim [redacted] because I've never even seen my role PM.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

YOU PLAYED DRAWROF.

that is not what a bastard setup is Tobbs. A bastard setup is where the setup consists of things that are lies/extremely abnormal from a mafia perspective.

A scum team without a doc would be one of those

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

that is not what a bastard setup is Tobbs. A bastard setup is where the setup consists of things that are lies/extremely abnormal from a mafia perspective.

but kash

you played drawrof

kash c'mon

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

When did I say there wasn't a doc???

I suggested the doc might behind a password, like our role PMs.

Besides that's not a bastard setup, PMOM said scumdocs are useless.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

When did I say there wasn't a doc???

I suggested the doc might behind a password, like our role PMs.

Besides that's not a bastard setup, PMOM said scumdocs are useless.

THE DOC WOULD BE BEHIND A PASSWORD THAT COULD'VE POSSIBLY GONE UNSOLVED HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE ISSUE WITH THIS

loving hell sometimes tobbs you are ignorantly stubborn to a point.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

I'm going to say this now and I will again when I send out the role pm's: On my honor, this is not another bastard mod setup where you are all secretly vanilla. I swear there are roles in this game.

You'll see why I have to make this statement when you get your PM.

Go to hell Kash lol, you're arguing a semantic point that is insane and refuted by the first iteration.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

THE DOC WOULD BE BEHIND A PASSWORD THAT COULD'VE POSSIBLY GONE UNSOLVED HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE ISSUE WITH THIS

loving hell sometimes tobbs you are ignorantly stubborn to a point.

like, the same as power roles and stuff?

as in, the mechanic of the game we're playing right now, where essential tools are hidden behind passwords?

how dare i make such an unfathomably large error in judgment lol

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It's not loving semantic when you are using the idea of a scum team that doesn't know who each other are and can't talk to each other, which would be clearly a bastard setup, as your basis for your vote.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Kashuno posted:

Oh yeah so funny story other than the fact that my phone is connected to my work wifi.

I got my identity stolen over the weekend and the card that was attached to my Apple ID was compromised so now I'm having issues switching my payment method to "none" temporarily on my iPhone which means I can't download any apps or update things that need updates

:)

Dude that sucks I'm sorry. My brother got his Gmail hacked and the dude tried to blackmail him

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

like, the same as power roles and stuff?

as in, the mechanic of the game we're playing right now, where essential tools are hidden behind passwords?

how dare i make such an unfathomably large error in judgment lol

power roles are not a basic premise of mafia, out of thread communication for scum is

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

I'm going to say this now and I will again when I send out the role pm's: On my honor, this is not another bastard mod setup where you are all secretly vanilla. I swear there are roles in this game.

Max posted:

Max posted:

Max posted:

Max posted:

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
The bastard mod setup bit was obviously in reference to Drawrof, which you fuckin' played.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If this is a different variety of bastard setup I will change my avatar to that post as red text with "tobbs is god" written out on a piece of paper as my avatar.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I am slamming my head against a wall and am done with it. Your premise for your vote sucks, your setup spec sucks, you thinking you have poo poo figured out sucks, your attitude sucks, you suck.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

I am slamming my head against a wall and am done with it. Your premise for your vote sucks, your setup spec sucks, you thinking you have poo poo figured out sucks, your attitude sucks, you suck.

lol @ the fact the person I'm voting doesn't disagree with the possibility that the scumdoc is behind a password, only that the scumdoc has such limited utility that sharing the password right away is an alignment-neutral act

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Kashuno posted:

If this is a different variety of bastard setup I will change my avatar to that post as red text with "tobbs is god" written out on a piece of paper as my avatar.

Can I be the one to write it?

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Also can we discuss why no one is voting the person who said the password in thread?(I can't cuz I only have a few seconds af a time to post and can't go through history. New cellphone policy at worm. )

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

omg

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Also can we discuss why no one is voting the person who said the password in thread?(I can't cuz I only have a few seconds af a time to post and can't go through history. New cellphone policy at worm. )

god damnit :five:

also I went through the effort of whitelisting my PC at work so I can access dropbox and the password for my account doesn't work for me so RIP

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

actually,
##vote jimson

that's a lazy callout devoid of any actual reasoning

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

Lol I am

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
guys

it's a joke

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Pinterest Mom posted:

actually,
##vote jimson

This is what has been niggling me.

If scum get the scumdoc in their role PM from Max (as Kash says is the only possibility) then sharing the password every day is super duper towny, because odds are the scum will figure it out in the doc easy since they can work it out together and town will be the only ones struggling.

And that's stupid, because then the password is a purely anti-town mechanic. We'll see at the game's end how Max set it up, but I'd like to think that with as much work as he put into the dropboxes etc. he wouldn't make it so trivial for scum to solve.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Kashuno posted:

guys

it's a joke

eh?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

This is what has been niggling me.

If scum get the scumdoc in their role PM from Max (as Kash says is the only possibility) then sharing the password every day is super duper towny, because odds are the scum will figure it out in the doc easy since they can work it out together and town will be the only ones struggling.

And that's stupid, because then the password is a purely anti-town mechanic. We'll see at the game's end how Max set it up, but I'd like to think that with as much work as he put into the dropboxes etc. he wouldn't make it so trivial for scum to solve.

Or there are 3p involved?

idk man common sense and all that ya know

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

actually,
##vote jimson

I agree that it's a bad post but I am much less sure on whether it's a scum post.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

Or there are 3p involved?

idk man common sense and all that ya know

p small game to be suggesting 3P

although he mentioned F Society, the Dark Army, and Evil Corp so who knows

Max wouldn't dare make a cult game they are pretty much anathema.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
cult games own

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Kashuno posted:

cult games own

I've been thinking of how to make one.

I won one, it was hard though. There was a deprogrammer, a neighborizer, and like 4 players that were immune to conversion.

We started with only two people but I converted the cop D1 and town lurked a lot so we won.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I would like to hear more from these fine folks.

Retro Futurist 5
Quidthulhu 4
bowmore 4

What are those numbers? Why, they are the number of posts made in this thread! P sure it includes signup etc

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Omgus votes are bad

##vote pmom

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey can we do some mafia instead of slap fighting about a bunch of random mod speculation for several pages?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I would like to hear more from these fine folks.

Retro Futurist 5
Quidthulhu 4
bowmore 4

What are those numbers? Why, they are the number of posts made in this thread! P sure it includes signup etc

Yeah sorry I guess we should be inflating our numbers as best we can with empty bullshit and pointless back and forth, because quantity is way more important than quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

Hey can we do some mafia instead of slap fighting about a bunch of random mod speculation for several pages?

sure who scum?

• Locked thread