Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm looking forward to the new pictures part of the thread cycle. I'll post some of lovely pre-next ones I've been taking on my new game later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

xilni posted:

haveblue, could you please add the link to our discord to the first post?

It’s https://discord.gg/QUjd3zK so you don’t have to scroll back

Sure.

I told precision he could make a new thread for Next but if that doesn't happen for whatever reason I'll try to replace the badly out-of-date writeup with Next stuff.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Hello Games was contractually obligated to deliver a game at a certain date. They released what they had at the time, and have been adding in what they were talking about before release ever since then. I feel that we will get the game Sean talked about at the start in the end, it will just take more time.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Gaspy Conana posted:

A few new leak videos have surfaced. Most notable thing for me is the increased draw distance in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v07aQRMiqo

Giant critters are cool but man I wish the behaviour stuff actually meant something. That big dude was Cheerful, have him play around with other creatures or bump you about with his noggin

Maybe it's a lot to ask but I wish the ecology had something going for it other than hey, that's a weird looking creature

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Hamelekim posted:

Hello Games was contractually obligated to deliver a game at a certain date. They released what they had at the time, and have been adding in what they were talking about before release ever since then. I feel that we will get the game Sean talked about at the start in the end, it will just take more time.

I bet it was Sony saying it's gotta be out on this day, you can't delay.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Songbearer posted:

Giant critters are cool but man I wish the behaviour stuff actually meant something. That big dude was Cheerful, have him play around with other creatures or bump you about with his noggin

Maybe it's a lot to ask but I wish the ecology had something going for it other than hey, that's a weird looking creature

A different leak video from the same dude showed them moving about in herds now, so other changes are coming I think. Probably nothing that makes them significantly less doofy though.

Upon further thought, giving animals robust AI while not having them do buggy acrobatics must be pretty difficult since they have to play nicely with generated navmeshes and planet data and stuff. The more diverse their planet gen gets the weirder it's gonna be keeping animals, especially large ones, from looking completely bonkers. Skyrimish games can barely even pull that off and they're not generating anything on the fly.

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 23, 2018

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Playing through No Man's Sky over the weekend for the first time since release left me kind of wishing that they hadn't even really bothered with animals at all. They don't really add anything to the game.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

Geks are space frogs so they probably just have cloacas.

Considering they refer to their ancient empire as "The First Spawn" and how The Korvax genetically mutated them inside hatching fields that's probably not far off.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Gaspy Conana posted:

A different leak video from the same dude showed them moving about in herds now, so other changes are coming I think. Probably nothing that makes them significantly less doofy though.

Upon further thought, giving animals robust AI while not having them do buggy acrobatics must be pretty difficult since they have to play nicely with generated navmeshes and planet data and stuff. The more diverse their planet gen gets the weirder it's gonna be keeping animals, especially large ones, from looking completely bonkers. Skyrimish games can barely even pull that off and they're not generating anything on the fly.

They seemed to be moving more naturally in the new footage. Not sure if that is just new animations, AI or a mix of both. Better AI would really do a lot to make creature more interesting and bring the worlds to life.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

SoR Blaze posted:

Playing through No Man's Sky over the weekend for the first time since release left me kind of wishing that they hadn't even really bothered with animals at all. They don't really add anything to the game.

I like searching them and filling out my Pokédex and giving them names fitting in with the planet I've discovered them on, but past making for some neat screenshots there's no reason to stick around once you've found them. I don't really want the crazy in-depth AIs the hype-dreamers desperately want, but some personality outside Will Attack/Won't Attack/Clips Through The Floor would be good. Stuff like individual creatures becoming aggressive when they form herds, creatures getting upset if you start hacking down their food sources, curious creatures checking out your base/spaceship and so on would be neat.

Judging by the way they're doing updates they'll probably do a big ol' overhaul on the fauna at some point. It's something I think they really missed a trick with, critters should be as exciting as they look.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Speaking of screenshots, feel free to pop by the recently slow "PYF Video Game Screenshots thread."

NMS photographs well.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796985

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Another leaker grabbed it and installed a new patch I guess? Anyway, here are some pretty new volumetric clouds they took video of with their phone since I guess video cap wasn't workin: https://streamable.com/7t3iw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I've not seen Sean Murray before now, and he's pretty young and cute. I trust that face.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Don't, it's a trap.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i’m mad about video games

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

haveblue posted:

Sure.

I told precision he could make a new thread for Next but if that doesn't happen for whatever reason I'll try to replace the badly out-of-date writeup with Next stuff.

Thank you very much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Beastie posted:

Granted, he's earned a lot of good will back by following through and updating the game a ton, but he still colossally hosed up the release. Odds are it was Sony pressuring him to finish, and to hype it like the video game that scifi nerds have always wanted.

Actually I don't think Sony give a gently caress either way because they already got paid. I'm pretty sure they don't care.

Man I hope the patch drops at midnight even though I know it most likely won't

I'm actually super busy if anyone else wants to make the new thread :kiddo:

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
Update the thread title and the first post probably just has to be updated to say "new patch, character creator"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Six AM posted:

Update the thread title and the first post probably just has to be updated to say "new patch, character creator"

Ah screw it, I'll do it right now

here we go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3864065

precision fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jul 23, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Put a line 1 to keep the hello games/sean murray drama and the hottest of hotte takes on Reddit where they belong

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So will NMS be like FFXIV in that it poo poo the bed on release but has seen fit to clean the sheets? If reception is kind to NEXT and the price takes a sensible drop I might take the plunge.

NMS's poor reception at launch feels like it will be a microcosm of the poo poo-twister that will be Star Citizen's release. Murray may have bitten off more than he can chew but he never sold JPEGs of the Eiffel Tower.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1021185025226805248

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1021194113914466304

There's the official word on Multiplayer. So for now just a group experience and factions will still be reliant on a subreddit or discord.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

As far as the first implementation of MP goes, that's fine. If they can work out the kinks and expand it to be truly open or have bigger instances for MP shenanigans I'm all for it. It's going to take me forever to reach the core anyways.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Post in the new thread you dinguses.

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
New thread sucks. Old thread for life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

• Locked thread