Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

question: why are the parameters for the hosts never ever leaving the park not hardcoded into the deepest levels of hostOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
it's node.js, runs much closer to the metal

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

check your phones boys

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

check your phones boys

charge your phone

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
*playing dead under a dining table while chuckling faintly* i guess he wont be 'head' of a major department anymore

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:rip: mesa suckers.

then again Stubbs and Elsie arguing with each other got really old after about 15 minutes

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

duTrieux. posted:

charge your phone

gently caress you dad

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

then again Stubbs and Elsie arguing with each other got really old after about 15 minutes

i liked elsie. she'd better be back next season

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

i liked elsie. she'd better be back next season

mega-agreed

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Boiled Water posted:

question: why are the parameters for the hosts never ever leaving the park not hardcoded into the deepest levels of hostOS?

they're hardwired into the main bus what more do you want?

e: also yeah Elsie was the least bad park employee and I hope they write her back in

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i noticed they left several peoples' fate uncertain. we never heard a neck snapping, we never saw her corpse, and bernard specifically asks "what did you make me do to her?" not "why did you make me kill her" or something like that.

stubbs got tackled and then not seen again. hale is not seen being shot. sylvester the neckbeardy butcher is told to stay.

i can't decide how much of it is "we can't decide what we want to do with these people yet" and how much of it is "who exactly will be willing to come back for a second season?" the reason i say that is it's always amusing to me when i see some old grognerd talk about how Blake's 7 was so daring for killing off the entire cast at the end of the series, when in fact the producers had already decided that in the event of getting picked up for a fifth year, anyone who wanted to come back would just handwave it away as only a flesh wound.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

atomicthumbs posted:

Someone flashed the wrong image to the goddamn rattlesnake hosts and they're following people around and trying to play fetch. For gently caress's sake check your hashes people

It gets worse:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVXyKP1FVk

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i noticed they left several peoples' fate uncertain. we never heard a neck snapping, we never saw her corpse, and bernard specifically asks "what did you make me do to her?" not "why did you make me kill her" or something like that.

stubbs got tackled and then not seen again. hale is not seen being shot. sylvester the neckbeardy butcher is told to stay.

i can't decide how much of it is "we can't decide what we want to do with these people yet" and how much of it is "who exactly will be willing to come back for a second season?" the reason i say that is it's always amusing to me when i see some old grognerd talk about how Blake's 7 was so daring for killing off the entire cast at the end of the series, when in fact the producers had already decided that in the event of getting picked up for a fifth year, anyone who wanted to come back would just handwave it away as only a flesh wound.

quote:

Type reverie into the admin box, press enter. It plays a video then prints a ton of text onto the screen.
It includes the line:

quote:

235 [ 675.371511] Code: 61 48 52 30 63 44 6f 76 4c 32 52 6c 62 47 39 7a 61 57 35 6a 62 33 4a 77 62 33 4a 68 64 47 56 6b 4c 6d 4e 76 62 53 39 32 61 57 52 6c 62 79 39 70 62 6e 52 79 59 53 39 30 59 57 4a 73 5a 58 51 75 62 58 41 30 44 51 70 6f 64 48 52 77 4f 69 38 76 5a 47 56 73 62 33 4e 70 62 6d 4e 76 63 6e 42 76 63 6d 46 30 5a 57 51 75 59 32 39 74 4c 32 46 7a 63 32 56 30 63 79 39 30 63 6d 46 75 63 32 31 70 63 33 4e 70 62 32 34 75 62 58 41 30

Which is also actually Base64, and translates to this:
http://delosincorporated.com/video/intra/tablet.mp4
http://delosincorporated.com/assets/transmission.mp4

she's totally alive

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

They are not people, they are robots

I have not watched Westworld

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

They are not people, they are robots

I have not watched Westworld

not everyone in westworld is robots

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

but the ones who are can get human diseases and regularly need to be flushed

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no, john, you are the robots

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

spankmeister posted:

not everyone in westworld is robots

until the writers run out of ideas and then it'll turn out that everyone was the whole and this drama has just been playing in a loop for an unknown amount of time for an unknown audience - or a dead one as they reveal that everything outside of the park is apocalyptic wasteland

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

but the ones who are can get human diseases and regularly need to be flushed

irresponsible and gross

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Bernard:
I hate every bot I see
From gun bot-a to gun bot-zee
No you'll never make a robot out of me

Oh my God, I was wrong
It was Westworld all along
You've finally made a robot

Hosts: Yes we've finally made a robot

Bernard: Yes you've finally made a robot out of me!

I love you Dr. Ford!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

Bernard:
I hate every bot I see
From gun bot-a to gun bot-zee
No you'll never make a robot out of me

Oh my God, I was wrong
It was Westworld all along
You've finally made a robot

Hosts: Yes we've finally made a robot

Bernard: Yes you've finally made a robot out of me!

I love you Dr. Ford!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
due to popular demand we put a host or human detector in the kitchen area. if you are having doubts about your humanity please scan your forehead and look for the answer. although, and here's the twist, if you're wondering whether you're human or not the answer is yes, you are, because hosts don't question the nature of their reality.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Munkeymon posted:

until the writers run out of ideas and then it'll turn out that everyone was the whole and this drama has just been playing in a loop for an unknown amount of time for an unknown audience - or a dead one as they reveal that everything outside of the park is apocalyptic wasteland

The BSG approach

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Yeah I'm having flashbacks to BSG and Lost. At least the first season was fun, can' take that away.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

hobbesmaster posted:

their banter did a good job of conveying that she wasn't interested in him and found him tiresome.

it seemed like he was Paying Attention which is a rare thing in TV, usually you've got the one "smart person" who's cocky and smarmy and everyone else is just plodding along being a dumbass. Stubbs learned more than he was told and knew more than he told others. i hope he's back in season 2. he was the only person who took the threat from the hosts seriously and appreciated that their only protection was a constantly-changing blob of code that nobody really understood.

"Freeze all motor functions!"

*host keeps coming*

*shits pants*
*that was their one and only line of defense and they have no plan whatsoever for if that doesn't work*

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Ticket: #5096756897

Subject: Panic Buttons

Hi, would it be possible to get some emergency stop buttons in the exam rooms? We bring in hosts that are doing some pretty violent stuff, or got locked into philosophical debates with guests, or had people attempt to compromise their computing integrity with Bluetooth or showing bitmaps taking up their field of view. We had one host that some clever kid had strapped a VR helmet onto, the host was almost convinced the guest was actually a park administrator. Maybe the exam rooms could have a big red button on one wall that when hit sends a wireless hard-shutdown command and summons a response team? There's emergency shutoffs on gas pumps, seems like semi-autonomous robots with knives warrant some safeguards.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

For what feels like the hundredth time, both Housekeeping and Host Maintenance have asked me to please allow the boredom/repetition counter - which if you might recall we pushed specifically to fix the various OCD-related bugs that we spent most of June trying to stomp out - to increment while hosts are reading. The room service staff are getting tired of dragging wet hosts out of bathrooms, our shampoo budget is getting out of control and HM's had to order replacement hair twice already this quarter.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Uncle Enzo posted:

Ticket: #5096756897

Subject: Panic Buttons

Hi, would it be possible to get some emergency stop buttons in the exam rooms? We bring in hosts that are doing some pretty violent stuff, or got locked into philosophical debates with guests, or had people attempt to compromise their computing integrity with Bluetooth or showing bitmaps taking up their field of view. We had one host that some clever kid had strapped a VR helmet onto, the host was almost convinced the guest was actually a park administrator. Maybe the exam rooms could have a big red button on one wall that when hit sends a wireless hard-shutdown command and summons a response team? There's emergency shutoffs on gas pumps, seems like semi-autonomous robots with knives warrant some safeguards.

it's not clear to my why every host we bring in isn't strapped down. will it take a broken host twitching involuntarily and punching through a tech's face before we put some safety features in place?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Critical bug report: the sheriff is punding again and has somehow gotten hold of a stereo that he's taking apart in the town square and organizing the pieces of. There are about three dozen hosts standing around in a circle and mumbling the out-of-context response to each other and the guests are yelling about their immersion. Please revert whatever the gently caress you did immediately

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 6, 2016

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone please track down the device that some idiot guest has hidden somewhere in the tavern? It's shouting the phrase "Freeze all motor functions" at random intervals and it's really pissing off the other guests.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Well it's fall and I'd like to highlight a ticket we've had sitting in the backlog since it's suddenly relevant.

Ticket #12573489
When the host's temperature modules detect sixty-nine degrees fahrenheit the host has the word 'Nice' added to the audio queue.

Someone (and I won't name names) is marking this as wont-fix but I don't think that's gonna fly.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Well it's fall and I'd like to highlight a ticket we've had sitting in the backlog since it's suddenly relevant.

Ticket #12573489
When the host's temperature modules detect sixty-nine degrees fahrenheit the host has the word 'Nice' added to the audio queue.

Someone (and I won't name names) is marking this as wont-fix but I don't think that's gonna fly.

Nice!

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Ticket #12573489

related: when you ask a host when they were born they all say 4/20/69

this isn't a bug, i'm just mentioning it

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
why are the repair guys so blase about their co-worker jacking off like 10 feet away

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

IF you'd like to file a complaint about a co-worker or staff, please send an email to HR

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Holodeck janitor after Riker but with robots

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
wouldn't they just have holographic janitors

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So I just checked the performance review code and it looks like there's a minus sign missing or something, because it's hooked into the HR mental wellness program, and 'experiencing frequent suicidal ideation' gives you about a hundred points toward a promotion.

I mean I guess that explains why everyone in management ends up killing themselves but way to gently caress up.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

So I just checked the performance review code and it looks like there's a minus sign missing or something, because it's hooked into the HR mental wellness program, and 'experiencing frequent suicidal ideation' gives you about a hundred points toward a promotion.

I mean I guess that explains why everyone in management ends up killing themselves but way to gently caress up.

finally a place i can succeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tunicate posted:

CLOSED: These violent delights have violent ends.

• Locked thread