Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I spent the morning reading all over the internet; and I'm just dumb enough to not know what information to trust and what to not trust.

So here's the deal: Yesterday afternoon my dog tore his ACL while chasing a squirrel. He's 10, and has always had weight problems due to other health issues he has (mostly doggy Lupus.)
He's a shelter rescue mutt; best guess is half Great Pyrenees and half Lab or Retriever.

I took him to the emergency vet last night, and they told me it wasn't an emergency "OMG HE NEEDS SURGERY NOW" situation. I have a appt with my regular vet tomorrow to talk to him about best options.

I've seen conflicting information about how dogs can recover from this without surgery, and with surgery. Any of y'all have experience with this either way?

Bonus picture of fat pupper being goofy in better times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
A big fat dog probably won't recover well without surgery. And unfortunately, probably won't do great with the cheaper form of surgery (securos) either. Your best options are TPLO or TTA, which according to studies seem to be equally successful.

• Locked thread