Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Can someone please recommend me some computer speakers? The Klipsch ones I had broke. Please no joke posts, this is serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-20-Watt-Compact-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B00X741TB0/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i like my logitech z263, the sub is silly loud and the wires to the sats aren't flimsy garbage

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

any of these should get you by under $2500

if you need more affordable options maybe the audioengine hd6 or kef x300

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

no ring

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are there speakers that have stereo/mono 1/4" inputs so that I can either run them as monitors from a DI box or connect the 1/4" stereo line out from my computer?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate just suck some dick in an alley!

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

tumor looking batty posted:

Can someone please recommend me some computer speakers? The Klipsch ones I had broke. Please no joke posts, this is serious.

give patrick norton a phonecall and he will tell you or better yet write him an email and he will do an episode of his tv show about it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
my old $25 logitechs sound great so new $150 logitechs are probably really great

why not another set of klipsch speakers, i assume you were happy with them before

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Sham bam bamina! posted:

my old $25 logitechs sound great so new $150 logitechs are probably really great

why not another set of klipsch speakers, i assume you were happy with them before

yah thinking about going with klipsch again, they were pretty good

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
audioengine a2+ or a5+ depending on your budge

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i have audioengine a2 op theyre good

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Bose Roommate speakers in Apple Platinum, as produced specially by Bose and Apple in 1986 for the Apple ][gs

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

audioengine for real, too bad you just missed the only sale they do

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I bought a pair of JBL LSR305s which had this review:

quote:

2.0 out of 5 starsTOTALLY AMATEURISH! IF YOU BUY THEM, YOU'D BETTER PLAN ON BUYING SOME LONGER POWER CABLES TOO!
ByWingnuton November 10, 2016
Verified Purchase
Wow! I may post further details on this product later (positive and/or negative in nature), but I've just received a set of these here today, and I can safely say this much . . . the power cables provided for each speaker are barely 5-feet long. Seriously! I ask you, what kind of an "idiot" markets and ships a studio monitor speaker with a 5-foot long cable? We've got a set of $5,000 arranger/synth/keyboards sitting here, barely 3-feet beneath a bookshelf, and the power cables won't even reach the freaking floor!?!@#$%&? I don't care HOW nice these speakers might sound in the end, or how long they might last, they are worth avoiding altogether (as a message to JBL), solely because of the stupidity of these JBL so-called "engineers". Nothing but laughable amateurs! Wake-up, people!

Dan Quayle Treasure Trail
Dec 28, 2005

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS7-M...yamaha+hs7+pair

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

BiohazrD posted:

audioengine for real, too bad you just missed the only sale they do

how is the bass on them

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

tumor looking batty posted:

how is the bass on them

do computer speakers still come with subwoofers anymore

beeman
May 7, 2008

depending on your budget:

Micca PB42x
JBL LSR305

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
i've had these in black for almost 20 years

https://www.roland.com/us/products/ma-8/

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
they're discontinued though

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
i'm seeing them on ebay for surprisingly reasonable prices

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
audioengine

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i got some logitech things and they are merely ok.

i picked up a set of alesis m1 active 320 speakers at the thrift store for 2 dollars but havent set them up yet cause i'm lazy but they sounded not bad.

those JBL 305 whatevers are supposed to be really good and i was considering getting them myself

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Smythe posted:

audioengine

I have the 2+

they're p. good

I think they've shown up on massdrop or whatever a couple times too

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i also have the speakers shaped like a fat pink pig that ashens reviewed that looks ridiculously stupid but sound surprisingly good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

no wireless speakers. do not spend money on wireless speakers.

acceptable are paradigm, bowers&wilkins, dynaudio with nad dac/amp

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

:yeah:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

those are v good what are they hooked up to

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 setup that I have at work is nice but super pricey for what it is and also primarily USB

if you're going to go USB you could try to get some original Harmon-Kardon SoundSticks, I remember those being pretty nice

if you want cheap but good, I have a set of 1996-vintage Altec Lansing ACS31 speakers on my desk at home (with the subwoofer under it) and they've always sounded surprisingly good, you can probably find something like them for almost nothing at Goodwill because people think old=bad

same for the Bose Roommate speakers that I previously mentioned, I know it sounds like a joke but they sounded pretty great to me and you can probably find them for next to nothing (unless they're the early ones with the Apple logo on them, then they're $TEXAS)

edit: OK they're not next to nothing, but someone has a pair of Bose Roommate speakers on eBay right now for US$65

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 1, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

no wireless speakers. do not spend money on wireless speakers.

those ones I posted don't need to be used wirelessly they have normal inputs and a dac built in they just also have wireless since it's all on one chip and they can charge more I've heard the dynaudio xeos they sound really good

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
these are the best. im so used to them by now everything else just sounds wrong

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Aix posted:

these are the best. im so used to them by now everything else just sounds wrong

yeah genelecs are super good, reminds me there was a thread on avs where dudes were getting processors and using $1k+ monitors for surround which is a pretty cool idea

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

my mom asked me to find some computer speakers for her so this thread is helpful. however, i probably will not get the $2500 ones.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Glorgnole posted:

my mom asked me to find some computer speakers for her so this thread is helpful. however, i probably will not get the $2500 ones.

so you don't love your mother, got it

in addition to audioengine there's a canadian brand called kanto that makes decent powered speakers and they go on sale occasionally

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sham bam bamina! posted:

i'm seeing them on ebay for surprisingly reasonable prices

nice, they're extremely common i found. grab while they're cheap. i love em

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qirex posted:

in addition to audioengine there's a canadian brand called kanto that makes decent powered speakers and they go on sale occasionally

i just bought some babby kanto YU2 speakers to replace my old logitech 5.1 speakers that won't stop buzzing
i got them because they are glossy white and match my computer case

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

have you tried looking at the wirecutter, op?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I rolled my own with a couple 150w class D amps from Sure Electronics, some component 6.5" Rockford/Fosgate car speakers in bookshelf boxes and a 10" Kicker subwoofer. It sounds great and will rattle the whole house if you really crank it up. I think I spent around $200 for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

definitive audio studio monitors, op

• Locked thread