Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Bose Roommate speakers in Apple Platinum, as produced specially by Bose and Apple in 1986 for the Apple ][gs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

acceptable are paradigm, bowers&wilkins, dynaudio with nad dac/amp

the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 setup that I have at work is nice but super pricey for what it is and also primarily USB

if you're going to go USB you could try to get some original Harmon-Kardon SoundSticks, I remember those being pretty nice

if you want cheap but good, I have a set of 1996-vintage Altec Lansing ACS31 speakers on my desk at home (with the subwoofer under it) and they've always sounded surprisingly good, you can probably find something like them for almost nothing at Goodwill because people think old=bad

same for the Bose Roommate speakers that I previously mentioned, I know it sounds like a joke but they sounded pretty great to me and you can probably find them for next to nothing (unless they're the early ones with the Apple logo on them, then they're $TEXAS)

edit: OK they're not next to nothing, but someone has a pair of Bose Roommate speakers on eBay right now for US$65

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 1, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

once I was told that Audes speakers were designed by former Soviet fighter avionics engineers in Estonia, and at the time their web site just had lots of charts and graphs

their current web site doesn't make that claim, it says they were making consumer radio and hi-fi equipment for the Soviet Union

• Locked thread