Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Problem description: While watching youtube videos (and possibly other videos, though I haven't checked) my audio will eventually start to crack or pop a bit. Over the course of 10-30 minutes it gets worse and worse until the video and all sound on my computer starts crackling really badly. It never becomes pure static but it gets pretty dang unpleasant. It doesn't happen all the time or as quickly every time, but it's pretty reliable. If I pause the video or mute sound on my computer for a while and come back to it the static is often gone, but starts up again eventually. I don't have any speakers for my computer so I'm not able to test if this is limited to my headset or not. I use Virtual Audio Cable but I just have it configured to route Mumble to a separate channel so I don't hear myself/my friends talking over my stream.

Attempted fixes: Doing a search for my brand of headset (Logitech H540) turns up some people with similar problems, but there doesn't seem to be a wealth of literature. Based on what I've seen most people have solved their issue by either setting their Default Format to 48000 Hz or toggling Bass Boost under the headset's Properties, but neither seems to have fixed the issue. Volume doesn't seem to impact it, I've had it both loud and quiet and the crackling will eventually kick in. I've tried different USB ports as well. Since it doesn't happen every time it's difficult to test what works and what doesn't.

Recent changes: None that I can think of, just installing/uninstalling various games. I moved to a new apartment about four months ago so something may have been jostled/damaged during that; I don't remember exactly when the problem started, but I don't recall it happening before the move.

--

Operating system: Windows 10, 64 bit.

System specs: 8gb DDR2 RAM, Intel i5-4590 @ 3.30GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, ASRock H97M Pro4 Motherboard, Logitech H540 USB Headset, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It would be helpful if you could test the headset on another machine and/or a different headset on your own machine. If the problem is with the hardware then no amount of troubleshooting software is going to help.

That said, did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the headset? Did Windows automatically download them when you first plugged it in or did you install the drivers from Logitech?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Alright well it's not a perfect test, but I was able to bring by headset into the office today and run a few hours worth of videos. I didn't have my headset on the whole time since I needed to work, but when I was listening I didn't hear any of the usual popping or cracking I hear when I use it on my computer. As I said it doesn't happen immediately/every time so it might have happened given more trials, but I'm inclined to believe it's not the headset at this point.

I looked up the drivers on logitech's product page and there didn't seem to be any. It also says no software is needed to use it, so I'm not sure what I'd uninstall/reinstall. I certainly didn't do anything myself so it'd have been an automatic install.

Thanks for your help.

e: It's definitely not just youtube videos, I've learned.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 30, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Try using DPC Latency Checker to see if a driver is causing high latency.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alereon posted:

Try using DPC Latency Checker to see if a driver is causing high latency.

It hovers between 500 and 1500, mostly around 700-800. Says "This machine should be able to handle real-time audio and/or video data without drop-outs".

• Locked thread