Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

NitroSpazzz posted:

Same here :hfive: And I'm actually not on-call for once! Will be heading to WI with the girlfriend to visit family and hopefully show her what real snow looks like.

One of the customer guys was messing around with this today at work. Quality and everything looked great. Another bonus is if you're on AT&T the data used doesn't count against your limits.

Doesn't count against att cell data limits or just their home internet service? This looks real interesting but I don't think my 3mbps dsl line would like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I've got a couple of things for my AISS. This is my first year participating but my worry is that I'm a boring person :ohdear: so sorry to the santa that got me.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

rdb posted:

Doesn't count against att cell data limits or just their home internet service? This looks real interesting but I don't think my 3mbps dsl line would like it.

ATT cell data - https://www.att.com/bundles/data-free-directv-tv.html

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just need to turn my brain off for a while, it's just really bad timing and incredibly disappointing. Thanks guys.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
So I got a Fire TV Stick in the mail today. The weird thing about this is that it was addressed to me but I didn't order one. :what:

I'm guessing someone sent me one?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Does not apply to DirectTV Now, the streaming service...yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cursedshitbox posted:

landed a house in the bay area,

An house in the bay area? Congrats on winning megamillions and/or acheving unicorn status.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

An house in the bay area? Congrats on winning megamillions and/or acheving unicorn status.

spouse and I have been here 2 years. lucked the hell out by finding a house thats ~ price of the rv slip + shop space that we had in Alameda.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

nm posted:

Or acheving unicorn status.

Rumours say CSB achieved that a few years ago with puberty

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Rumours say CSB achieved that a few years ago with puberty

Not a rumor.

Some people say, monster energy is willing to sponsor his dick.

All we know is, he loves greasy rods.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
There may be assless chaps involved.

(autocorrect wanted assless to be massless.)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

There may be assless chaps involved.

(autocorrect wanted assless to be massless.)

Aren't all chaps assless by definition?

As for AISS, I got a pretty regular poster that has some pretty neat poo poo. I just hope that I can be creative enough to provide some decent swag :ohdear:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yes. Assful chaps are known as pants.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

gently caress DENNYS.

I literally the last 11 hours working more or less non-stop on a single undercounter freezer there. How might that be you ask? Well, 15+ years of hackjobs stacking up, that's how.
That thing has 2 evaps, 2 temp controls, 3 solenoids, and all of the above were working independently of each other. On top of that it all tubing was twisted up into a rats news of oversized elbows, exposed wires, and other garbage. Oh, and on top of all this they had a cord wired in to the J-box as well. Where this cord go? Well, it went across the freezer, out the side, across the kitchen, into another cooler, through that cooler, out the other side, and into another cooler, where it powered the fans and controls. :psypop:

So we just ripped everything out and started from square one. All the pipes, all the wires, boxes, controls, everything was out. We get everything out, repiped, rewired, and about to run when find the next problem. Get on the roof, and the defrost clock isn't powering up. Trace out the wires, it's got several rub outs. gently caress. Trace it out further, two of the terminals get run though a relay, that very clearly caught on fire a while ago, and go down into the abyss.

At this point we just kinda said gently caress it.
Seriously, how the gently caress did this ever run?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ether Frenzy posted:

Assful chaps

I'm sorry but that made me giggle esp when talking about CSB's dick

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

the spyder posted:

God. loving. Dammit. I am beyond pissed. Enough so that I may take the rest of the day off just so I don't accidentally rage at my job. The worst part is it's not work related. I just got 100% hosed on a car I *was* buying by a fellow enthusiast. A local guy offered his 36k FD (RX7) to me for a smoking deal. I mean smoking. It needed some work, but nothing I couldn't handle in a few weekends of work. For some reason he also put it on CL (incase I backed out?). Literally 30 minutes ago I got the cash together and just this morning we had setup a time on Saturday to pickup the car. He just called me and let me know a "FRIEND" of mine stopped by and bought the car with cash. I can't decide who I'm more angry with, the seller (who I've been talking to for months), or this "friend" of mine that just loving stole a car out from under me. Ok, I lied. I'm definitely more pissed at the "friend". What little self restraint I have right now is stopping me from driving the three hours to his house and ripping him a new one.

This. This is why the local community is hosed. I've hooked this guy up with deals, hell the last car I COULDN'T afford I passed on to him! No wonder there's no real events or meets. Everyone has something against someone else. I give the gently caress up. There's no point in helping these people. This was a deal that will literally never happen again and due to all the personal poo poo going on right now, I really could have used the project/money. But no, just like the last few months I get hosed regardless of my intentions.

Ok, I'm going to go for a long walk and try to calm down. Excuse the rant.
Rant excused.

Go calm down.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Picked up my new puppy tonight. He is a boxer mastiff plot hound mix. My wife named him moose and the little guy comes to his name. Im so much in love. My other american bully is jealous but has done nothing but love on him. I promise to post pictures of us soon. He is asleep on my lap as i write this. HOLY poo poo IM IN LOVE!!!!!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

clam ache posted:

Picked up my new puppy tonight. He is a boxer mastiff plot hound mix. My wife named him moose and the little guy comes to his name. Im so much in love. My other american bully is jealous but has done nothing but love on him. I promise to post pictures of us soon. He is asleep on my lap as i write this. HOLY poo poo IM IN LOVE!!!!!

PICTURES

plott hounds are loving amazing and I can only imagine that mix is gorgeous. So loving jealous and I want one :(

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

I've been working my side delivery/dish pit gig for a couple of weeks now and just got my first full paycheck. Feels good man.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
^^^ That's awesome. First paychecks always feel good. Incoming puppers pictures. Sorry for the cell pictures . This little guy is hilarious. He tried to nurse of my boy American bully. He hung off the tip and my dog didn't do anything but smell him.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Did some say puppies?!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Oh my God that ball of floof. You better love that pupper.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Oh my God that ball of floof. You better love that pupper.

Way ahead of you. He has this adorable little howl. He's been playing with my cats and howling at them.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Book of the month: The Man who was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh hey, I don't remember what thread it was, but wasn't somebody looking for Datsun / Z parts in the Seattle area?
http://www.zspecialties.com/

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I need this tiny, tiny moped to put into the back of my tiny, tiny car. I understand why this failed, but I don't understand why the only one I see on Ebay is a broken one for 6 grand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk9SJHcN8qs

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just did an ambo transport, Phoenix to LA and drive back. gently caress me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

nm, I wouldn't have been able to keep the Nissan job simply because of the commute, I would have been fired for tardies pretty quickly. Every highway going that general direction becomes a clusterfuck if there's even a drop of rain on the road. It's literally at the far other end of the county. Our winter weather is completely unpredictable - one day it might be snowing (and even just a light dusting shuts down the metroplex), the next day it'll be in the 80s. Or like last year, the day of Christmas it'll be in the 40s, the next day it's 85 (!) and we get 9 goddamned tornados dropped on us. The biggest one (EF5, 9 deaths from that one) touched down less than a mile from where I currently live. Oh, my lease isn't up until July either, with a really insane ETF. I get close to having a stroke if I'm not in the parking lot of my work place 15-30 minutes early, so for me, pulling in "on time" is at least 20 minutes late.

I've been starting to get some job offers with similar pay that are much closer.

Also UPS chat. Driver I've been working with texting me before he picked me up saying today shouldn't be too bad, going by the # of stops he had. Turns out when they loaded his truck, there were a bunch of misloads (seriously, poo poo for other COUNTIES - those trucks are usually loaded for a single zip code, maybe up to 3 zip codes if it's a light day), and they just threw everything in. They're supposed to load it nearly and organize it by zones.

And when I say threw everything in.. this was 3 hours/75 deliveries after he picked me up, and he'd already done about 125 stops (including the ones I was with him for). He picked me up at noon. He got the truck at 9am, and had been delivering since 9:30am. When he picked me up, it was packed floor to ceiling, front bulkhead to back door. Later in the evening he offloaded a large chunk to another driver who had finished his route early, and we both ran out of hours. He ran out of driving hours (he was down to 30 minutes left, and had that long of a drive to get back to the hub... plus had to drop me off at my car), and I ran out of authorized hours (they authorize so many hours a day for helpers, I went over a bit). Didn't finish, and he had about 30 packages to take back that weren't on his route (misloads).

e: PIC REMOVED, had route number in it and I don't want my driver to get fired.. or me. But the truck was packed floor to ceiling, front to back, when he picked me up. 3 hours later there was enough room for him to at least walk about 1/4 into the back. I might re-post it after blurring out identifying info... after I get some sleep.

I'm gonna be in drat good shape pretty quick. I was barely able to walk after driving home, but a couple of ibuprofin took care of that, and it was mostly muscle aches anyway. My shins aren't even sore today (I usually get shin splints like a motherfucker if I even think about running, and I did a lot of that today), right now the only thing bothering me are my achilles tendons. I'm sure a few minutes of stretching will go a long way tomorrow today.

stevobob posted:

I've been working my side delivery/dish pit gig for a couple of weeks now and just got my first full paycheck. Feels good man.

I'm getting my first full paycheck next Friday. Gonna feel really good. Might even have some OT on it. This week's will just have orientation. :sigh: Between this and my 2 side jobs I'll be able to get my car legally registered before the tags expire! (I hope) I have a $600 hold thanks to back tolls, on top of registration (tho my reg is only $80).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 1, 2016

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
I drove for FedEx Ground for 3 years. Just FYI if your considering a career as a driver you will need to pass a DOT physical and random drug screening. I'm not trying to offend you, just a heads up.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
2016 recap: my freelance job finally got to a point where I'm solvent, I got a project car to work on the spring for free, I visited the US for the first time (Seattle, you rock), I made significant progress on my house renovations, and I got engaged. Not too bad.

Of course, Brexit and Trump, but whatever. And I'm spending Christmas and New Year in Seattle again, because heck yeah. Beats the hell out of Glasgow (or Inverness, God forbid).

Next year I get to leave Glasgow for London, get more work, do more of my hobbies, maybe get paid for them, and my fiancée and I get to live in the same drat country. Should be a good one.

Hopefully nothing goes shitshaped.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Glasgow must suck rear end

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Glasgow must suck rear end

Depends what you want to do. If you want to be a party-hard student it's great. If you want to listen to a million sound-a-like indie bands, it's great. If you like sectarian football violence, it's great.

If you want world-class art, history, culture, and classical music, it's not. Also the creative industry here is incestuous as poo poo, and the pool is tiny.

And the weather is garbage. Last winter we went four solid months without sunlight. Just grey, overcast, or raining. My SAD makes it hell, and the south of England is just better, climate-wise.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Jeherrin posted:

And the weather is garbage. Last winter we went four solid months without sunlight.

And Seattle is better? God drat I'm a spoiled american, then. Grew up in Lewiston but spent most summers and winters with family in Seattle. Again, Glasgow must suck rear end, hard. Seattle is a great city (with a surprisingly refreshing culture of priuses and subarus), but weather is not its strong point.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Well, I'm not moving to Seattle. But the fiancée lives there at the moment, and (probably because I'm English) the weather comes up in conversation. They have fewer seriously prolonged grey spells; there is usually some sun in there to break up the monotony. Glasgow has some poo poo geography - Gulf Stream comes in, with warm wet air, it gets slowed by the north Irish coast and the Scottish coast SW of Glasgow; the prevailing wind is south, and we have 'mountains' (i.e., glorified hills) to the north. Thus, the warm wet air gets over Glasgow, stops, and turns to rain clouds. So it's never all that cold - -2C is about as low as it'll go - but it's overcast and humid. Humidity + cold = the kind of damp cold that settles in your bones.

Basically, if you need at least occasional sunlight to function through the winter, Glasgow is not the place for you.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

rdb posted:

I drove for FedEx Ground for 3 years. Just FYI if your considering a career as a driver you will need to pass a DOT physical and random drug screening. I'm not trying to offend you, just a heads up.

No offense taken, I make no secret of my past :420: (and other drug) use. But it's all but stopped these days. Maybe at a party I'll smoke a little bit, but I don't go out much. I smoke maybe once a month, tops, and I've been hit with tests a day or two after smoking and passed fine - when I smoke it's very little anyway, it knocks me on my rear end. I still like weed, but I have zero tolerance to it these days, so even a tiny amount kicks my rear end hard.

The UPS ground trucks have a GVWR of under 20k (16k according to the tag of the older one I'm riding in), so at least there's not a CDL required - I assume the Fedex Ground trucks are similar, except with stuff like "air conditioning" and "ignition keys" (the UPS trucks don't use a key for the ignition... but you do need a keyfob to enable the start button if it's been parked for more than 1 or 2 minutes). But physical (if they still offer a non-insulin-dependent diabetes exemption) isn't an issue, and I've all but stopped smoking :420: anyway.

I wouldn't mind driving for UPS, Fedex, etc - my driver told me his starting pay was over $28/hour.... he's been with them a year and a half, and this time of year he's working 60+ hours a week, mandatory OT right now (I didn't ask about the pay as I think asking such a question of someone else is too personal, but don't mind if they ask me... he offered it when I mentioned how much I made loading 18 wheelers for UPS in the past).

Serious and likely stupid question, FedEx Ground is generally someone that owns a route, isn't it (either an IC or someone that owns a few routes)? That's what I've been told, anyway, whereas UPS employs everyone directly and provides everything you need except for clothing.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 1, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Looks like you need more brap-brap, friend.

Caliper bolts, brap-brap wouldn't fit.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

rdb posted:

Which is easily passed by any urine kit at a head shop. Don't ask me how I know. :ssh:

As for the physical I was over 300 pounds when I passed it so no big deal there either.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Yeah, fedex ground is owner operator and not recommended. The terminal I worked out of (Rochester, NY) promised new guys the world but in reality all the open routes were given to older contractors with 3-4 other routes already. In the 3 years I worked there no new drivers were offered the chance to own a route. I talked to a guy who started the same time as me and after 4 years the contractor he worked for sold him the route he was doing. So yeah, you essentially had to buy your route, van, maintenance on it, etc. Vacation, well, you had to bid on weeks based on seniority, and pay the terminal to have the swing driver do your route. Calling in sick never happened. Workers comp if your hurt on the job? Nope your a contractor. Health insurance was offered to terminal management only.

The DOT physical is easy to pass, but diabetes and certain prescription drugs can complicate things.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

DOT physical got a bit more difficult last year, they added BMI and neck circumference levels which may trigger requiring a sleep study.

Doc also told me they made the certification process for the Dr more intensive, so a lot of offices do not perform DOT physicals anymore.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Awww yiss, if I've read my contract correctly my contract for my translation side job has been automatically renewed for 2017. It's the best job I've ever had, if the work load was guaranteed I'd be very tempted to quit my main job. In the mean time though I'm just gonna funnel the money into my next car fund. My friend has been looking at Legacys and it's been getting me all flannely feeling. I've had a Legacy before though so obviously I should buy a GC8 WRX.

• Locked thread