Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Cage posted:

Ugh I didn't even do any aiss research yet. Usually I am super into buying gifts but I'm just not feeling it this year. :sigh:
Aaaand hes a lurker. His last 3 posts were the 2016 aiss thread, terrible stuff thread, and then the 2015 aiss thread. :argh:

e: oh poo poo top of page. have a doggie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cage posted:

Aaaand hes a lurker. His last 3 posts were the 2016 aiss thread, terrible stuff thread, and then the 2015 aiss thread. :argh:

Didn't we use to have rules about minimum posting to prevent exactly that?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

cakesmith handyman posted:

Didn't we use to have rules about minimum posting to prevent exactly that?
He does have a few hundred posts, I just like to snoop for car history and such to help with ideas. He wasnt a deadbeat or anything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a bank robbery with hostages and poo poo in jacksonville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1R9PdQ-Jc

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
dear op: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1027838-jeep-made-now-cummins-shakes-build.html (thank SiF, he sent it to me yesterday while we were spergin about FSJs on facebook)

please do the needful

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 1, 2016

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Powershift posted:

There's a bank robbery with hostages and poo poo in jacksonville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA1R9PdQ-Jc

This is all I can think of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The EPA did 9/11

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=8271677&postcount=65

Jet fuel can't melt steel asbestos.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Phone posted:

The EPA did 9/11

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=8271677&postcount=65

Jet fuel can't melt steel asbestos.

Dedicated Car Forums are the worst.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

What's worse, dedicated car forums or dedicated car clubs? They're both terrible and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other, therein lies my conundrum.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

keykey posted:

What's worse, dedicated car forums or dedicated car clubs? They're both terrible and I'd be hard pressed to pick one over the other, therein lies my conundrum.

Dedicated car clubs promote lovely attitudes and behavior. Dedicated car forums promote lovely mods and info.

Which is worse depends on the observer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Soyuz-Progress launch to resupply the ISS lost telemetry at T+383 :smith:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Dedicated car forums are the worst since they are not mutually exclusive from dedicated car clubs

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

political subforum on dedicated car forums are the worst

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Excellent we get to sit through a 30 minute presentation about how hard it is to be an account manager today.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Excellent we get to sit through a 30 minute presentation about how hard it is to be an account manager today.

Just picture the presenter naked, and you'll be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

keykey posted:

You must work for a school on the faculty side of things. We're doing a major upgrade the week before Christmas so we'll be out from the 23rd-9th.

I think I get the 25th off.

InitialDave posted:

Seller's a dick for selling a car after the sale was agreed with you. "Friend" is a dick for doing it.

I'd make to effort to find him and call him a oval office to his face, at length. Might not be a good idea, but it'd make me feel better.

This

Seminal Flu posted:

On that note, DirecTV Now just got released with a killer deal -- 100 channels for $35/month and a free 4th gen Apple TV with 3 months prepaid... came to $113 for me after taxes. The box itself sells for over $130.

https://directvnow.com/appletv#slide1

Holy crap. Going to float that by the wife (I think it's got the channels she watches - just want to make sure.) U-verse can lick my balls. $67 for U-verse Family, then $10.50 in bullshit fees, + $6.34 for bullshit taxes = $83+ for 200 channels, but we watch like, 6, and a lot of that 200 are duplicates, like Cartoon Network, Cartoon Network HD, Cartoon Network-West, and Cartoon Network-West HD.
Also would like to move to TWC/Charter (only other option in the area) for Internet. Paying $60 for 18 Mb with U'Verse, versus $40 into/$65 for "up to 100 Mb" cable 'net. I'm gratified to see that, while still doing the "$this for 12-months, full pirce after that", TWC/Charter will actually *tell* you what that full price is, unlike TWC before Charter bought them. I still need to transfer a few things to my not-ATT email address, and then I'm clear for GTFO.

Liquid Communism posted:

Autonomous cars will probably be a thing in 50 years or more. Mind you, that RV concept is basically a ton of loving work to replicate passenger rail.

Where do you live that passenger rail isn't a sad, laughable alternative to anything else?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Darchangel posted:

$83+ for 200 channels

Don't forget at least 25% of that is commercials instead of programming. If you're paying upwards of $100 (or more, I know my parents' DirecTV package is nearly $130) per month you shouldn't have to watch ads.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Geoj posted:

Don't forget at least 25% of that is commercials instead of programming. If you're paying upwards of $100 (or more, I know my parents' DirecTV package is nearly $130) per month you shouldn't have to watch ads.

That's why I won't ever do Hulu. There was a time (might still be a time) when the paid version had less ads than the free version. Unless they're also streaming without me needing an ISP to connect to the Internet, they can gently caress right off

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Cage posted:

Oh man that face :3:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Speaking of dog faces, TT your doggo is getting passed around in the funny picture thread. :3:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701088&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=681#post466965026

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Door Frame posted:

That's why I won't ever do Hulu. There was a time (might still be a time) when the paid version had less ads than the free version. Unless they're also streaming without me needing an ISP to connect to the Internet, they can gently caress right off

I wouldn't use Hulu even if it was ad-free for free. From what I recall you get maybe the most recent 5-6 episodes of a show and then a bunch of <45 second clips.

When I was still using it (granted its been a long time) their player was absolute poo poo too. Way to drive customers right back to piracy by offering a completely poo poo product.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

hulu plus only has ads for like 4 or 5 shows out of the hundreds they offer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

hulu plus only has ads

You can stop right there, it's the principle of the thing that offends me. If I'm paying for a service, and it interrupts anything that I am doing for ads, guess what service I'm no longer paying for

E: It's half the reason I stopped paying for Xbox Live, because being connected to the Internet meant that almost my entire dashboard was ads. Clearly, my money isn't going towards the overhead, since so many ads are necessary on this exclusive, paid service, so what am I paying for, exactly?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 1, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Geoj posted:

I wouldn't use Hulu even if it was ad-free for free. From what I recall you get maybe the most recent 5-6 episodes of a show and then a bunch of <45 second clips.

When I was still using it (granted its been a long time) their player was absolute poo poo too. Way to drive customers right back to piracy by offering a completely poo poo product.

It depends on the show. They have full series up like Seinfeld. Some of the currently airing shows only have the ongoing season.

Hulu is great if you're watching currently airing shows. If you want movies or shows from the past, you're better off with Netflix or Amazon prime.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

You can stop right there, it's the principle of the thing that offends me. If I'm paying for a service, and it interrupts anything that I am doing for ads, guess what service I'm no longer paying for

E: It's half the reason I stopped paying for Xbox Live, because being connected to the Internet meant that almost my entire dashboard was ads. Clearly, my money isn't going towards the overhead, since so many ads are necessary on this exclusive, paid service, so what am I paying for, exactly?

Yarrr, ye mateys :yarr:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

it impacts none of the shows i watch so i dont care to grandstand about principle on it

edit, here's the list of shows:

Greys Anatomy
Once Upon A Time
Marvels Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Scandal
Grimm
New Girl
How To Get Away With Murder

they're all poo poo anyway

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

it impacts none of the shows i watch so i dont care to grandstand about principle on it

They are competing with free, they must provide a service that is as good as what I can get for free, otherwise I won't bother paying for the service

It's like when Amazon video asks me to rent MST3K episodes. The entirety of every single episode is on YouTube for free, so why would I pay? I have prime, so Shout Factory has already been paid their licensing fee for the Prime episodes, and I have Adblock so pirates don't get a penny off my youtube views, so what possible reason would I pay to watch a single episode of a decades old TV show?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

so what possible reason would I pay to watch a single episode of a decades old TV show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiEXgpp37No

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mariooncrack posted:

Hulu is great if you're watching currently airing shows. If you want movies or shows from the past, you're better off with Netflix or Amazon prime.

Netflix is moving towards mainly airing their own exclusive content, some of which is okay.

Speaking of ads, YouTube dropping unskipable ads into the middle of videos is a loving terrible thing. Without rooting or watching through a browser I don't think there's an easy way around it on android.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

They are competing with free, they must provide a service that is as good as what I can get for free, otherwise I won't bother paying for the service

It's like when Amazon video asks me to rent MST3K episodes. The entirety of every single episode is on YouTube for free, so why would I pay? I have prime, so Shout Factory has already been paid their licensing fee for the Prime episodes, and I have Adblock so pirates don't get a penny off my youtube views, so what possible reason would I pay to watch a single episode of a decades old TV show?

what the gently caress are you going on about? i dont care if you dont want to spend money on hulu

if i'm going to pay for streaming of tv shows that my family and I watch, i'll gladly pay 4 bucks extra to not see any commercials. end of story.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

quote:

Thank for registering for Roakill Zip-Tie Drags at Tucson Dragway in Tucson, Arizona, January 13-14, 2017.
Though a schedule has not yet been solidified, typical, once we have more information we will provide it you over email.
If you have any questions or concerns please email Events@roadkill.com
See you soon!
Roadkill Crew

:getin:

I now have a deadline, though my list is easy-mode compared to any Roadkill episode.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Netflix is moving towards mainly airing their own exclusive content, some of which is okay.

Speaking of ads, YouTube dropping unskipable ads into the middle of videos is a loving terrible thing. Without rooting or watching through a browser I don't think there's an easy way around it on android.

I have really liked some of the Netflix original stuff. Stranger Things was fantastic and I'm really enjoying The Crown. Some of it's pretty poo poo, though. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was unwatchable.

And, iirc, that's a per-channel setting, not a YouTube global setting. I know some of the channels I follow (NerdCubed comes to mind) have said that they can choose to have pre-roll or interstitial ads. I can't stand the interstitial ads, but I don't mind pre-roll ones.

You're right about not having a good way around it on mobile, Android or iOS, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The Door Frame posted:

I need this tiny, tiny moped to put into the back of my tiny, tiny car. I understand why this failed, but I don't understand why the only one I see on Ebay is a broken one for 6 grand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk9SJHcN8qs
There's one on Ebay UK for 2.4k ($3k) right now, if you're serious.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

dear op: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/tow-rigs-trailers/1027838-jeep-made-now-cummins-shakes-build.html (thank SiF, he sent it to me yesterday while we were spergin about FSJs on facebook)

please do the needful

That owns..at the rate the idi/zf5 is pissing me off, that might just happen to a bricknose.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

There's one on Ebay UK for £2.4k ($3k) right now, if you're serious.

Not that serious, unfortunately. I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet... Maybe if I can find one in the spring for $1k- $2k

BraveUlysses posted:

what the gently caress are you going on about? i dont care if you dont want to spend money on hulu

if i'm going to pay for streaming of tv shows that my family and I watch, i'll gladly pay 4 bucks extra to not see any commercials. end of story.

Oh, I thought you were defending the ads because they weren't in the shows that you watched, and I was trying to explain the folly in trying to compete with piracy with an inferior, paid subscription service. Wee bit of talking past each other there

For me, it's about principles, so I won't spend money on things that are available for free, unless it's a reasonable price, creators are properly compensated, and they are offering more convenience than a 45 minute download can.
The only reason I pay for YouTube Red (still the worst name) is because I have Google music. I don't like how YouTube handles copyright laws and monetization, so I wouldn't have ever upgraded if it wasn't included in my music service

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

:getin:

I now have a deadline, though my list is easy-mode compared to any Roadkill episode.

:black101:

Plan on making any passes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Door Frame posted:

Not that serious, unfortunately. I haven't done my Christmas shopping yet... Maybe if I can find one in the spring for $1k- $2k

Oh, I thought you were defending the ads because they weren't in the shows that you watched, and I was trying to explain the folly in trying to compete with piracy with an inferior, paid subscription service. Wee bit of talking past each other there

For me, it's about principles, so I won't spend money on things that are available for free, unless it's a reasonable price, creators are properly compensated, and they are offering more convenience than a 45 minute download can.
The only reason I pay for YouTube Red (still the worst name) is because I have Google music. I don't like how YouTube handles copyright laws and monetization, so I wouldn't have ever upgraded if it wasn't included in my music service

well i just dont care, not really a defense of it.

and piracy is easy but not everyone will jump through the hoops for it.

given that usenet is probably the best way to pirate tv shows these days you are probably on the hook for 5-10/mo for access to that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

:black101:

Plan on making any passes?

gently caress yes. I've hit low 14s before at Firebird Wild Horse Pass. The new wheels and tires should help my dismal 60' times, but I bet they'll weigh a bit more to offset it.

Tucson's track is also quite a bit higher in altitude. Wild Horse Pass is at 1145 feet and based on today's conditions, density altitude is 1200 feet. Tucson Dragway is at 3000 feet, and conditions there right now put the density altitude at nearly 3800 feet... which if I'm googling correctly, is something like an 8% drop in horsepower. Not gonna set any records, that's for sure.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
So, how much does a free 2003 denali really cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

TWSS posted:

So, how much does a free 2003 denali really cost?

Give or take 300 scrap value

• Locked thread