Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play Run Saber

Run Saber is an action-platformer developed by Horisoft/Hori Electronic, and it appears to be their only game. It stars two androids with powerful sabers, impressive agility, and a strong desire to save the world. Mostly this means we can cling to walls like Spider-Man and our main mode of attack is absurdly useful. Neither of those are why it's interesting, though.

Why is it interesting?

It's got creative enemy designs, lots of mini-bosses, good music, and it's just kinda weird. While certainly not as surreal as some other old games, it has a persistent atmosphere that makes it feel rather like a 90s Japanese OVA. Expect an anime rivalry, a reasonable amount of variety, some mildly messed-up visuals, and it's over before you know it.

We're going to be playing through the game on Normal mode with the default settings while using the female playable character: Sena. This is because it is undeniably easier to win with her.

Videos

The End

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I haven't ever heard of this game in my life but it looks fun enough. Pretty simplistic, but looks like a fun beat 'em up.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
I enjoy these LPs of older games, but can you consider toning down the severity of the auto-ducking? It's a bit jarring to have the game audio go from loud -> very quiet when talking -> instantly loud again. You should consider lowering the game audio a little bit overall, and then auto-ducking much less aggressively.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I haven't ever heard of this game in my life but it looks fun enough. Pretty simplistic, but looks like a fun beat 'em up.

It's also very short, so you should consider playing it if you have an afternoon.

Olesh posted:

I enjoy these LPs of older games, but can you consider toning down the severity of the auto-ducking? It's a bit jarring to have the game audio go from loud -> very quiet when talking -> instantly loud again. You should consider lowering the game audio a little bit overall, and then auto-ducking much less aggressively.

I think I can fix that. The game audio in general is too loud? Sorry by the way, it's difficult to tell how it will sound to folks using different headphones/speakers.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

It's also very short, so you should consider playing it if you have an afternoon.

I think I can fix that. The game audio in general is too loud? Sorry by the way, it's difficult to tell how it will sound to folks using different headphones/speakers.

Too loud isn't the right term for it, and I noticed the same thing in your previous LPs. There's basically three volume levels here- the regular game audio (A), the ducked game audio (B), and your commentary (C).
Let me make an analogy- if the regular game audio (A) is the baseline for 100% volume, in relative terms it feels like you're ducking the game audio waaay down (so that B sounds like 30-40%) and your commentary (C) feels like somewhere around 60-70%.
Right now A is too high relative to B and C, and B is too low relative to C. C is too low relative to A. If you can make your commentary louder without distortion, I'd recommend you do that. Otherwise, leave your commentary as-is and drop the game audio a bit.

Either way, reduce the severity of your autoducking - if you're currently autoducking by -15dB, try scaling it down to -10dB or even -5dB instead. You don't want big jumps in background volume every time the autoducking kicks on/off.

Just my two cents! I still enjoy the videos, but I feel I'd enjoy them more if I wasn't cringing for a second every time the autoduck turns off and the sound level suddenly jumps.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Olesh posted:

Audio advice.

Thank you! I'll give that a try in any future videos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Neat, I'd never heard of this game, and it absolutely is a Strider clone. Like even the character movement animations look similar. That's not a bad thing, there's very few strider-style games.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

Neat, I'd never heard of this game, and it absolutely is a Strider clone. Like even the character movement animations look similar. That's not a bad thing, there's very few strider-style games.

You should look into Osman and Moon Diver.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I just realized that the word saber in the thread title is spelled with a lowercase S and everything is wrong and awful.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I'm not sure who came up with these names

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That boss looked truly unbeatable and I congratulate you on winning. I am sure I could not have done it myself.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

That boss looked truly unbeatable and I congratulate you on winning. I am sure I could not have done it myself.

It is a gift from the videogame spirits.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Robot dinosaurs!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I just realized that the word saber in the thread title is spelled with a lowercase S and everything is wrong and awful.

Do you want it corrected or would you rather it stand as a monument to mistakes and regrets?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blind Sally posted:

Do you want it corrected or would you rather it stand as a monument to mistakes and regrets?

It is very sweet of you to offer but I have now grown fond of my error. Thank you anyway

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That boss' appearance and death were very Paper Mario-ish. They didn't fit in very well with this game, I feel.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

That boss' appearance and death were very Paper Mario-ish. They didn't fit in very well with this game, I feel.

They had to fit Mode7 in there somewhere

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

This level has -unironically- the toughest section in the game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That boss looked incredibly silly, the second phase especially. I doubt that was on purpouse, but I laughed anyways.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

That boss looked incredibly silly, the second phase especially. I doubt that was on purpouse, but I laughed anyways.

It's very difficult not to find it at least a bit goofy

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like this game's premise and could imagine a modern action platformer in a Devil May Cry vein being made out of this idea of android super ninjas fighting a planet of rogue robots and mutated human monsters, complete with anime rival.

The female ninja-droid (ninjoid? nindroid?) looks like she's dressed for a workout in the 1980s.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

I like this game's premise and could imagine a modern action platformer in a Devil May Cry vein being made out of this idea of android super ninjas fighting a planet of rogue robots and mutated human monsters, complete with anime rival.

I'll ask Ninja Theory to get on that

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I think I must have seen this at some point when I was a kid. I've got a weird sense of deja vu. Thanks for the LP.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 9, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rockopolis posted:

I think I must have seen this at some point when I was a kid. I've got a weird sense of deja vulnerable. Thanks for the LP.

I wonder where you could've seen it

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The final level, wherein we confront the largest number of bosses

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

And an extra video to show off our second character

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Thanks for the LP. This was a neat little game I'd never heard of before so it was cool to see. It looks like it'd be a lot of fun to co-op too, what with the mildly different attributes between the two characters complimenting each other.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

It looks like it'd be a lot of fun to co-op too, what with the mildly different attributes between the two characters complimenting each other.

As long as your co-op buddy doesn't get mad when buzzsaws rain from the sky

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I definitely wouldn't have known of this game without this LP, so good job. It looks fun, if short and easily cheesed, and being able to just change colour palettes on the fly is a very small but very nice thing.

Also, considering the small amount of voice clips in the game, I'm guessing that that Fire! Fire! move would be the boss robot's special if he were playable. It's a neat detail...or all in my head, I'm not sure.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

I definitely wouldn't have known of this game without this LP, so good job. It looks fun, if short and easily cheesed, and being able to just change colour palettes on the fly is a very small but very nice thing.

Also, considering the small amount of voice clips in the game, I'm guessing that that Fire! Fire! move would be the boss robot's special if he were playable. It's a neat detail...or all in my head, I'm not sure.

Considering the other two playable characters have their own elements, and Kurtz is also a Saber, I can only imagine his Fire! attack was meant to be his answer to our own specials.

• Locked thread