Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Red Bones posted:

It's gonna be weird if/when this game finally comes out. Are they still making it?
They're starcitizening it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Hi. The recent Obsidian RPGs made me realize how much I want a game like Neverwinter Nights instead. Or just a balanced single character mode for these games.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

There's new BotW footage though, so it balances out.

There is that at least. And Yacht Club is supposed to be showing off what they've been working on (probably the next Shovel Knight campaign) so I'm excited for that

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

What are your 2017 video game hopes, friends? What vague game in a quantum state of cancelled-or-in-development are you hoping will materialise in 2017? I hope I will be able to play the cave person simulation game Before next year.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Red Bones posted:

It's gonna be weird if/when this game finally comes out. Are they still making it?

frankie's almost done hand drawing all 1900+ gun sprites

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Red Bones posted:

What are your 2017 video game hopes, friends? What vague game in a quantum state of cancelled-or-in-development are you hoping will materialise in 2017? I hope I will be able to play the cave person simulation game Before next year.

A sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All the ones I was interested in are either out or will be this month and Bloodstained is 2018 now.

What about Shenmue 3, is there any eta on that yet?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Sorry, they missed the release date for Shenmue 3 by two minutes, so now you have to wait a year for your next chance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Shantae and TLG are the only games I'm interested in this month, which is good both because of Christmas expense and 20 games I want coming out in early 2017.
Again, where are people getting a December release date for Shantae? Unless it's in that Early Access update that came out yesterday.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Red Bones posted:

What are your 2017 video game hopes, friends?
Switch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I maybe want the Switch. Still need to know way more about it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

and I mean I'll probably skip all of those and buy discounted stuff at christmas instead, but hey, there's some neat titles in there!

Same but I'll just play Rocket League and Skyrim despite buying a dozen games.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Tomorrow SMT Apocalypse will finally reach my household.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

A sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising

You've got great video game opinions but I fear humanity doesn't deserve this.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Red Bones posted:

What are your 2017 video game hopes, friends?

I hope La Mulana 2 and Bloodstained come out and are good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I just realized that despite, at the outset, of fully intending to get a PS4 before any of the other systems there is a real chance I will have both a Wii U and and a Switch before I have a PS4. There are enough PS4 games that yeah I'm all but guaranteed to get one eventually but a combination of backlogs, expected price drops (gonna get a PS4 Slim for sure), and Mario Maker has continuously put off the purchase.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Don't worry, The Bloodborne Entertainment System™ isn't going anywhere and will be patiently waiting for you to pick it up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Funnily enough Bloodborne has never been on the shortlist, though I do expect to give it a go eventually since if I'm going to play any Souls-like game at this point it's probably going to be that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just hope RCR Underground finally comes out next year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wait, what the gently caress, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS? I totally missed that. Is it going to be stripped-down or what? I could see that being a crazy fun handheld game.

Nate RFB posted:

Funnily enough Bloodborne has never been on the shortlist, though I do expect to give it a go eventually since if I'm going to play any Souls-like game at this point it's probably going to be that.

I'm probably biased but yeah, if you're only ever going to play one Souls-like game, make it Bloodborne. It really is an exceptional game and I think it's the only one of the Souls(borne) games that I would recommend to just about anyone who likes games.

(I'm on record as saying that I think it's frighteningly close to being a perfect game, which I know a lot of people disagree with--blood gems and the worst online multiplayer system in the series are easily its biggest flaws, and I don't mean to downplay them--but frankly I stand by it.)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Harrow posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS? I totally missed that. Is it going to be stripped-down or what? I could see that being a crazy fun handheld game.

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Harrow posted:

Wait, what the gently caress, Mario Maker is coming out for 3DS? I totally missed that. Is it going to be stripped-down or what?

Only so far as to remove the ability to share levels. That is, the entire point of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's no online sharing in the 3DS version, so unless you're lucky enough to live within spitting distance of a bunch of people who make good Mario levels, you'll only have the ones already in the game, Nintendo approved downloadable levels and ones you make yourself to play. Which is still probably a bunch but kind of loses the main selling point of the original.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm probably biased but yeah, if you're only ever going to play one Souls-like game, make it Bloodborne. It really is an exceptional game and I think it's the only one of the Souls(borne) games that I would recommend to just about anyone who likes games.

(I'm on record as saying that I think it's frighteningly close to being a perfect game, which I know a lot of people disagree with--blood gems and the worst online multiplayer system in the series are easily its biggest flaws, and I don't mean to downplay them--but frankly I stand by it.)

I think it has pretty much perfect gameplay, but it has a few half-baked design choices like blood gems. Pretty much the best Soulsgame for a lot of reasons though. DS1 is my other favorite, but BB has a lot of quality of life improvements that make it a smoother experience to play.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bloodborne plays a lot more like a traditional action game than DS1, and it has a lot less emphasis on the RPG portions, so players don't have to figure out about equipment stats and so forth as early as in DS1. DS1 is probably the easier game, but it's a different sort of difficulty.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Bloodborne plays a lot more like a traditional action game than DS1, and it has a lot less emphasis on the RPG portions, so players don't have to figure out about equipment stats and so forth as early as in DS1. DS1 is probably the easier game, but it's a different sort of difficulty.

Agreed.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can't wait for Half Life 3 to come out!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BB would be perfect if you could choose any weapon you'd previously picked up at the start of a new game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

You can only share levels locally.

And you can only play certain levels people made from the Wii U version (none of the ones involving costumes).

That is a loving baffling decision.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Bloodborne would be perfect if blood vial farming wasn't a thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

If it just always gave you 3 if had zero, it would be fine.

Which is what Nioh does, so... looking forward to that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Spend any spare echoes you have on blood vials towards the start of the game and you never have to farm.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Bloodborne in my mind is pretty much perfect.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Always spawn with at least 10 blood vials, expanded starting weapon selection for NG+, warp to anywhere from any lamppost are the changes needed to achieve actual perfection.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also uhh framerate poo poo I guess.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just used the estus flask system, other than that it's perfect.

I like BB's story and setting more than the DS games, the Lovecraftian forbidden knowledge thing appeals to me more than straight dark fantasy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Spend any spare echoes you have on blood vials towards the start of the game and you never have to farm.

Unless you're like me and you suck,

I can blow through 80 vials on one chalice boss and still not beat them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually I guess Lamp warping is the one thing the game really lacked that I felt.

The blood vials being limited but them giving you more of them gave the game a different tension than the Souls games so I didn't mind it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually I guess Lamp warping is the one thing the game really lacked that I felt.

The blood vials being limited but them giving you more of them gave the game a different tension than the Souls games so I didn't mind it.

Like, I don't mind spending money on vials every time I go back to base. It just sucks when you hit a wall and run out. Like, I'm a pretty big defender of blood vials mechanically, but running completely out kills momentum and sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah, that wasn't true at all for me, certainly not by the time I was fighting Ludwig or the Orphan. Of course by then there's some places to farm souls and buy vials in bulk, but it still sucks to do when you have to stop making attempts against a boss to do it.

• Locked thread