Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

darkwolf220 posted:

Same in Crosby's 'era'. poo poo, have I gotten so old that I have seen a hockey era come and go? :(

I don't think we're quite there yet but it rapidly approaches. :corsair:

Getting older is dumb as hell yo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lazerwolf posted:

Jake Voracek is something else this year. Easily the best Flyer night in and night out

One of the worst lines in the league according to that tweet earlier.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm beginning to think Barry Trotz is not a very good coach. His offensive system consists of grinding down low and filtering the puck to the blue line for a blast from the point and pray it goes in. It also kind of explains why they can't score in the playoffs under Trotz: opponents are more willing to block point shots come the postseason.

There's no real system for generating high quality scoring chances.

He also hasn't made any adjustments to the power play. The team is playing like they did right before Bruce got let go. Lackadaisical, disinterested, and underperforming. I was never completely sold on Trotz being the right guy for a team like Washington, he's always been a grind D first kinda coach and that's not what the Ovechkin era Capitals have needed or been built to do.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Bo Horvat, the Canucks leading scorer, had 15:03 of ice time last night. Markus Granlund (who leads the team in absolutely no categories) had 18:45.

Horvat's not injured or anything, Willie's just really bad at his job.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Tampa bay lightning give-a-shititude factor: 1.2

(Out of 100)

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

LmaoTheKid posted:

There is a club in Long Beach or the Rockaways I think.

They moved to the hub in Syosset

http://www.lisportshub.com/program/curling

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Jersey crew: they're 25% off at Fanatics today, even Mitchell and Ness. You can get a Burger King Gretzky or Blake for $225 free shipping.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Wild just called up Kurtis Gabriel

This Calgary game might get...fun

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

He also hasn't made any adjustments to the power play. The team is playing like they did right before Bruce got let go. Lackadaisical, disinterested, and underperforming. I was never completely sold on Trotz being the right guy for a team like Washington, he's always been a grind D first kinda coach and that's not what the Ovechkin era Capitals have needed or been built to do.

I'm concerned about the PP as well, since they seem to just be settling for unscreened shots from the point from two guys (Niskanen and Carlson) who can't hit the net if their lives depended on it.

But the more concerning thing is how many of the young players are regressing and hard. Kuznetsov looks like a shell of his old self and Burakovsky has gone like 20 games without a goal. I'm not going to blame Wilson's struggles on Trotz because I don't think he has any talent whatsoever, but it's concerning that he hasn't been able to squeak more than a single point in 22 games. Orlov and Schmidt look a little better than the end of last season (ignoring Orlov's big mistakes last night), but they aren't nearly as effective in transition as they were. The forwards and defensemen seem to never be on the same page in transition, which leads me to believe that they don't really coach a transition game in practice. I see teams like the Rangers and Penguins exit the zone in 5-man units while the Capitals forwards either go 1 on 3 with the other team (resulting in a turnover) or dump and chase (resulting in a less egregious turnover most of the time).

Their shot-attempt differential is pretty good, but their expected goal totals are right around 50% because they take so many low-quality shots. Holtby is playing as well as ever and the defense is still good at limiting chances against, but that doesn't win Stanley Cups. They need an effective breakout game and they don't have one.

Honestly, Trotz's seat should be getting warm at this point.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

hifi posted:

In mcdavid's era they toss out second assists like candy too

You realize scoring is way down from the mid 2000s right?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i missed jack eichel. he makes hockey fun to watch again

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oof :stare:

BSH posted:

Giroux and Voracek were the Flyers’ MVPs on the night, but Mark Borowiecki certainly made a strong case to be star #3 — except for the Flyers, not for his own club. The Ottawa defenseman was an absolute disaster all night long, despite receiving over 19 minutes of ice time at 5v5. He took four minor penalties, three of which immediately led to Flyers power plays, and finished with an absolutely horrific 22.16% score-adjusted Corsi. In terms of raw shot attempts, Borowiecki was on the ice for eight Senators attempts and a whopping 30 by Philadelphia. Basically, every time Borowiecki hit the ice, the Flyers took full control of the game.

So how bad was his performance historically? Dom Luszczyszyn of The Hockey News created Game Score as a way of evaluating players on a nightly basis, a stat that compiles individual events like goals, assists and shots with on-ice events to create a number measuring a player’s single-game performance. Borowiecki finished last night’s contest with a -1.65, which would have been the worst score of any player in 2015-16. In other words, yes, Borowiecki delivered an especially notable disaster of a game, and the Flyers benefited greatly from it.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm concerned about the PP as well, since they seem to just be settling for unscreened shots from the point from two guys (Niskanen and Carlson) who can't hit the net if their lives depended on it.

But the more concerning thing is how many of the young players are regressing and hard. Kuznetsov looks like a shell of his old self and Burakovsky has gone like 20 games without a goal. I'm not going to blame Wilson's struggles on Trotz because I don't think he has any talent whatsoever, but it's concerning that he hasn't been able to squeak more than a single point in 22 games. Orlov and Schmidt look a little better than the end of last season (ignoring Orlov's big mistakes last night), but they aren't nearly as effective in transition as they were. The forwards and defensemen seem to never be on the same page in transition, which leads me to believe that they don't really coach a transition game in practice. I see teams like the Rangers and Penguins exit the zone in 5-man units while the Capitals forwards either go 1 on 3 with the other team (resulting in a turnover) or dump and chase (resulting in a less egregious turnover most of the time).

Their shot-attempt differential is pretty good, but their expected goal totals are right around 50% because they take so many low-quality shots. Holtby is playing as well as ever and the defense is still good at limiting chances against, but that doesn't win Stanley Cups. They need an effective breakout game and they don't have one.

Honestly, Trotz's seat should be getting warm at this point.

His seat should be hot, but Leonsis is stubborn as gently caress (look at how long Grunfeld has failed with the Wizards) and thin skinned, so I have a feeling he'll hold onto Trotz well past the sell by date. Transition and zone entries are just brutal, stack a couple of guys on the line and the Caps fall apart, it really seems like only MoJo and Orlov have the ability to reliably carry the puck in with the current system. If something doesn't change soon it's going to be another second round exit.

Wilson is destined to be a bigger more quarrelsome Beagle.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'd gladly have the Isles trade coaches with the Caps.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'd gladly have the Isles trade coaches with the Caps.

gently caress that man, I still haven't recovered fully from Oates and Hunter.

gently caress Adam Oates.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Gunjin posted:

His seat should be hot, but Leonsis is stubborn as gently caress (look at how long Grunfeld has failed with the Wizards) and thin skinned, so I have a feeling he'll hold onto Trotz well past the sell by date. Transition and zone entries are just brutal, stack a couple of guys on the line and the Caps fall apart, it really seems like only MoJo and Orlov have the ability to reliably carry the puck in with the current system. If something doesn't change soon it's going to be another second round exit.

Wilson is destined to be a bigger more quarrelsome Beagle.

Wilson becoming Beagle is like a best case scenario at this point. At least Beagle does something other than punch faces. He actually adds some scoring from the bottom 6, something that Wilson can't even do.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

You realize scoring is way down from the mid 2000s right?

Outside of 2005's 3.03 GPG, scoring has been within .25 GPG of this years current 2.64 every single season since 1996.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Moreover, if we're comparing the first 70 games, we should note that McDavid cheated by being injured last season.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

One of the worst lines in the league according to that tweet earlier.

The Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers line is also one of the worst in the NHL according to that tweet, but Laine is 2nd in goals, Ehlers is 2nd in assists, and Scheifele is 4th in points, so who knows anything.

Although I'm starting to doubt that Scheifele is the best in the league. Might only be 4th best.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hand Knit posted:

Moreover, if we're comparing the first 70 games, we should note that McDavid cheated by being injured last season.

Also McDavid plays for a wiener franchise that no one likes.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

ThinkTank posted:

Strongly agreed

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

So I was in apache burger today and they had a wall of fame with about 20 photos on it. 19 of them were tie Domi in the late 90s/early 00s. Did Belinda Stronach work there or something?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

:yeah:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He's the worst everyday player I've ever seen in my life, and worse than the clear majority of emergency call-up types. I don't know what anyone in the organization sees in him and it's thoroughly disturbing that he made it through the draft, through AHL, 2 separate GMs and 2 separate coaching staffs without having his role within the organization diminished despite showing 0 along the way. He's not even really a tough guy, either.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
John Quenneville is starting to look like a decent pick. He's near PPG in the AHL and looked promising in his first game against Chicago.

I have no idea on Zacha. I could see him turning into a Draisaitl type or maybe someone like Zubrus, who the gently caress knows.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Markus Granlund (who leads the team in absolutely no categories) had 18:45.

I thought he was leading in giving the puck away?

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/HockeyGraphs/status/804764841260920832

Guys, the Leafs are going to win the Cup.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

speaking of high powered teams with bad PPs, the Pens reaaaaaaaaally need to figure their poo poo out. IIRC the PP is under Tocchet's purview and my guess is that he's buddy buddy with Mario so probably isn't going anywhere, but it would be really nice if Sullivan stepped in and figured things out a bit

the first thing I'd like to see is actually more of a chip n chase zone entry strategy. right now, almost every time, one of the pens stars will basically try to carry the puck through the neutral zone singlehandedly, while the other 4 guys stand still on the blueline. it's way too easy for the D to break up this type of entry by just putting a lot of pressure on the blueline, and lo and behold, the pens are doing a poo poo job at getting possession in the offensive zone on the PP

i know chip n chase is kind of anathema around here, but i think it's a necessary adjustment when the D is clogging up the neutral zone to prevent controlled entries. the key is that you need 2-3 guys skating hard into the offensive zone to actually retrieve the puck instead of just standing at the blue line. the pens have scored sooooo many ES goals from aggressive forechecks causing turnovers, i don't see why they couldn't do it on the PP too. and once they've deployed this entry strategy a bit, it will back the D up and open more room in the neutral zone, and they can go back to trying more controlled entries

i don't know, this feels like zone entry 101, and i'm probably waaaaaaaay oversimplifying the types of offensive systems they try to run on a PP, but the pens PP has been an area that has been pretty consistently mediocre through the johnston-sullivan regime change, so they need to adjust SOMETHING

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

speaking of high powered teams with bad PPs, the Pens reaaaaaaaaally need to figure their poo poo out. IIRC the PP is under Tocchet's purview and my guess is that he's buddy buddy with Mario so probably isn't going anywhere, but it would be really nice if Sullivan stepped in and figured things out a bit

the first thing I'd like to see is actually more of a chip n chase zone entry strategy. right now, almost every time, one of the pens stars will basically try to carry the puck through the neutral zone singlehandedly, while the other 4 guys stand still on the blueline. it's way too easy for the D to break up this type of entry by just putting a lot of pressure on the blueline, and lo and behold, the pens are doing a poo poo job at getting possession in the offensive zone on the PP

i know chip n chase is kind of anathema around here, but i think it's a necessary adjustment when the D is clogging up the neutral zone to prevent controlled entries. the key is that you need 2-3 guys skating hard into the offensive zone to actually retrieve the puck instead of just standing at the blue line. the pens have scored sooooo many ES goals from aggressive forechecks causing turnovers, i don't see why they couldn't do it on the PP too. and once they've deployed this entry strategy a bit, it will back the D up and open more room in the neutral zone, and they can go back to trying more controlled entries

i don't know, this feels like zone entry 101, and i'm probably waaaaaaaay oversimplifying the types of offensive systems they try to run on a PP, but the pens PP has been an area that has been pretty consistently mediocre through the johnston-sullivan regime change, so they need to adjust SOMETHING

I feel the same way about entries for the Capitals. Dump and chase can work very effectively on the PP and usually leads to a clean setup, even if it takes a few more seconds than a clean carry-in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

Getting older is dumb as hell yo

I dunno, I'm getting old and I've never looked, felt, or lived better.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Being exactly my age owns, and is good

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

Outside of 2005's 3.03 GPG, scoring has been within .25 GPG of this years current 2.64 every single season since 1996.

Which happens to be Crosby's rookie season.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Which happens to be Crosby's rookie season.

He was calling a lot of penalties that year

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made
The NHLPA rejects the NHLs offer to go to Korea for 2018 in exchange for a 3 year extension of the CBA.

I hope you like lockouts!

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

nature6pk posted:

The NHLPA rejects the NHLs offer to go to Korea for 2018 in exchange for a 3 year extension of the CBA.

I hope you like lockouts!
What kind of a loving offer is that.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Here's my offer: you can continue to promote the game at a time where it will get more exposure than at any other time by a factor of million in exchange for no money. Take it or leave it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The offer of a league not confident it is going to fuckin' fleece the players next lockout

e: i forgot a word, lol

Vicas fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 3, 2016

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made

Spring Break My Heart posted:

"Sorry folks, the NHL will not be going to the Olympics because those greedy players won't continue with the status quo." - Gary Bettman, likely

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So basically Bettman will have presided over not just one full season of lost games, but two. And a halfsie. And the 100 days back in the 90's.

Bettman actually hates hockey I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bike Lane Closed
May 26, 2006

Mistakes were made

xzzy posted:

So basically Bettman will have presided over not just one full season of lost games, but two. And a halfsie. And the 100 days back in the 90's.

Bettman actually hates hockey I think.

Bettman is a rat but remember at all times, he's just a mouthpiece for the owners.

• Locked thread