Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I think that fake news highlights the human tendency to only believe in "facts" that closely aligns with their worldview. I've even corrected people on factually inaccurate statements like "Obama wants to introduce death panels for seniors" only to be met with "well it's the concept that concerns me!".

I tend to blame conservative media for making it easy to not apply critical thinking due to claims of "liberal bias". Facts are irrelevant in the face of media distrust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The other thing that comes to mind is the echo chamber principle. You won't ever challenge your own beliefs so long as you don't here an opposing view. Fake news just reinforces lovely opinions even though the facts my be inaccurate. The intent of the article is enough for many people.

From personal experience I used to be very homophobic and biased against minorities (ex-redpiller/MRA here) but the more exposure I had to those people the more I realized that my own beliefs were ethically wrong. I don't think that I would have made that change of heart had I consumed media that reinforced those beliefs. Would have been doubly true if I was reading patently false articles but never questioned them because it made me "feel good" about my own beliefs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

If only there were some piece of legislation that would require journalists to report both sides of a story...

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CheeseSpawn posted:

Alluding to the Fairness Doctrine or ......?

Correct.

• Locked thread