Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I do like their system of choice for your 5th card in the Keg. Allows you to build towards a certain faction early, and stops you getting too many dupes late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I played a few games, figured I'm going to need to grind for cards / purchase them to stand a chance of being competitive (and every time I lose a game, I've basically wasted those 5 minutes with only a "gg" pittance to show for it) and peaced the gently caress out.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://ibb.co/hs9tgF

here's their beta wipe infographic

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

How come like 3/4ths of everyone I'm matched with plays monsters!! I play monsters and I'm getting self conscious about it.

When's the wipe/release supposed to happen?

I was playing northern realms until I got stomped a bunch by monster's faction ability.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DrManiac posted:

I was playing northern realms until I got stomped a bunch by monster's faction ability.

Monsters and Skellige are the two top decks at the moment, as far as I can tell, followed closely by Henselt Northern Realms. Nilfgard is a mixed bag with some really cool abilities , but not every strategy is viable. I like playing as them though because if you build it right you can get a good set of counters for almost every situation where you would normally be boned.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

How come like 3/4ths of everyone I'm matched with plays monsters!! I play monsters and I'm getting self conscious about it.

When's the wipe/release supposed to happen?

I play against Monster players, specifically Eredin, maybe 9 out of every 10 matches. Kind of boring. The only benefit is that I can tune my deck against it and expect to play against it in most matches. I'm a new player and the Monster deck is commonly pushed as a good beginner deck, so I guess every new player plays the deck. Maybe it will be different when I get to ranked.

Right now i'm playing Skellige and just upgrade from An Craite to Harold the Crippler. Slowly getting cards to add to the deck and am only a couple legendary cards away from a tier 1 deck.

Games pretty good and I expect i'll be playing it for a long time.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Huge fan of Gwent in the Witcher 3 and I've really been enjoying the Gwent Beta the past two days. Anyone around level 4 up for a few games?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's getting kind of annoying only playing against Monster decks. I'm a higher level so now I'm also playing against Dagon decks, but that still isn't enough variety to be enjoyable. I hope they end up fixing the beginner Monster decks, just so there is some variety. I'm worried that after the wipe i'll be playing nothing but monster decks until I can play ranked and probably also playing them in ranked while people build up their collections.

Edit: God drat does it feel good to beat monster players in this game. I've played nothing but monster players all day and this last match was in the monster players favor the entire match. Was killing off all my Axemen, spawning multiple weather effects in game 1 and 2, had card advantage on me the whole match and played 4 golden cards in rounds 1 and 2. Their round 1 play was to drop Woodland Spirit and the three crones before passing, but I decided to play a couple extra cards to win that round and thin out my deck. Round 2 was just really messy and I ended up playing all my cards but ignite while the other player still had 4 cards in hand. Clearly going to lose with their Yennefer: The Conjuror going off every round and no Axemen in play. But I won round 3 by drawing a Priestess of Freya, choosing to get back an immune to weather pirate anticipating a fog effect. Sure enough, dude plays a fog and gets back 3 foglets from his graveyard. I ignite his strength 15 Eredin and win the last round 7 to 6. Felt so good.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 13, 2017

Clarence Day SR.
Mar 10, 2007

I've been having a decent time playing around with the zombie vikings. Haven't actually tried out the other factions yet. The elves look pretty fun so I'll probably give them a shot next. I'm only level 4 but haven't seen much in the way of monster deck spam, maybe that's changed?

Does anyone know where I might be able to grab a key to give to a friend, or have a spare key themselves?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Check in the subreddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent) and you might find one there. Watch streamers, youtubers and Gwent websites and sometimes they do giveaways. They recently started a massive closed beta push so keys are everywhere. I expect open beta sometime around the end of the month.

When you say zombie vikings do you mean Skellige? I play the Axeman Skellige deck but still need a few very powerful and necessary cards for it. I basically have the all bronze version of it, with a Yennefer: the Conjuror, Madman Lugos and a few silver/epic cards. Now that I hit level 10 i'm getting regularly destroyed by other decks. Yesterday I played a level 41 in a casual match that managed to beat me with 6 cards still in their hand. It was brutal. Looking at different versions of the Skellige deck I might be able to play.

Clarence Day SR.
Mar 10, 2007

ShowTime posted:

When you say zombie vikings do you mean Skellige? I play the Axeman Skellige deck but still need a few very powerful and necessary cards for it. I basically have the all bronze version of it, with a Yennefer: the Conjuror, Madman Lugos and a few silver/epic cards. Now that I hit level 10 i'm getting regularly destroyed by other decks. Yesterday I played a level 41 in a casual match that managed to beat me with 6 cards still in their hand. It was brutal. Looking at different versions of the Skellige deck I might be able to play.

It's the Skellige yeah. I've been trying to play skirmishers (+3 base str on resurrection) and my cow the first round expecting to lose that one, then win the second round on their backs. Third round the axemen (+1 str when something is weakened) plus extras usually pull it out for me.

I recently grabbed a gremist (-1 str to 3 of on my side, +3 per for himself), he seems to help out well.

I got the Skellige epic birna bran fairly early (12 str spy, draw 3 keep 1), but using her properly is beyond me at this point.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Try and get the pirates that discard other pirates of the same name from your deck when played and the shieldmaidens that pull other shieldmaidens from your deck when damaged. Mulligan down to 1 of each and play them in round 1, and especially before you play your Birna Bran. You may win round 1 just off of them, but if not you at least thin your deck out quite a bit to draw better cards off your Birna Bran and from going to round 2.

My ideal round 1 play is Axeman > Pingy Bear > Shieldmaiden > Discard Pirate and see where i'm at. But I should almost only have good cards in my deck after that and I fill up my graveyard for Madman Lugos, which is a great legendary I opened from a keg. Now that my deck is thinned out I can pretty reliably hit a priestess of freya from a rally and resurrect an Axeman in round 2 if I need another Axeman. I basically play the top rated Crippling Skellige deck on Gwentify.com, apart from a few of the expensive cards I haven't been able to get yet. I still need an Aeromancy, and The Last Wish, but I don't think i'll be playing Hjalmar, Ocvtist or Iris, but i'd need them still if I wanted to play that deck card for card.

If you are playing Skellige and looking to upgrade your deck with some scraps, Blueboy Lugos and Sigrdrifa are both phenomenal cards that every skellige player should run.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Gwent Update:

New update for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game now available on PC and Xbox One!

With this update, our main focus is to improve balance, solve some of the major issues that were affecting gameplay, and improve how Nilfgaard works – especially strategies focusing on revealing cards. A lot of Nilfgaard gold cards have also received strength improvements (details below).

Another big change is for the Clan Tuirseach Axeman card – its ability now only works with units damaged on the opponent's side.

The full list of changes, sorted by faction, is available here:

General / Neutral

Commanders Horn now adds +4 to a row.
Triss Merigold can now target both sides of the board.
Merigold's Hailstorm, Skellige Storm and White Frost now let you choose one weather effect.

Monsters

Ancient Foglet strength changed from 6 to 5.
Avallach strength changed from 6 to 8.
Crones strength changed to 7,8,7.
Succubus strength change from 10 to 8.
Vran Warrior's Strength changed from 5 to 6.
Succubus will now place 'Agile' units on the opposite row upon moving them.
Vran Warrior will not consume a unit right after being played.

Skellige

King Bran now discards up to 3 cards and adds +1 base value.
Svanrige now draws cards first and then discards them.
Draig Bon Duh strength changed to 4.
Draig Bon Duh in no longer Relentless.
Draig Bon Duh ability changed to: add 3 base strength to 2 non-Gold units in your graveyard.
Clan Tordarroch Armorsmith strength changed from 6 to 5.
Clan Tuirseach Axeman gets +1 strength for every damaged unit on the opponents side of the board.
Ermion will now draw 2 cards and discard 2 cards.

Northern Realms

Kaedweni Siege Support can now only be placed on the siege row.
Reinforcements will now be able to target all Bronze cards, even if there are no copies left in the deck

Scoia'tael

Added a 1 turn timer to Dennis Cranmer - will now reset all other non-Gold units on the row at the end of the round.

Nilfgaard

Impera Brigade is now boosted only by spying units on opponents side of the board.
Treason now adds +8 to a opposing spying non-Gold unit.
Mangonel strength changed to from 4 to 6.
Spotters now recieve +1 for each revealed card wherever they are.
Spotters strength changed from 5 to 4.
Nauzicaa Brigade now deals 5 damage.
Impera Brigade now gets +3 strength instead of +2 of every spying units
Sweers strength changed from 7 to 8.
Vanhemar strength changed from 7 to 8.
Cynthia's Guardian strength changed from 8 to 6.
Menno Coehoorn strength changed from 9 to 10.
Xarthisius strength changed from 9 to 11.
Morvran Voorhis will not shuffle the deck after using his ability.

Game fixes / changes:

Fixed an issue witch Reinforced Trebuchet ability countdown continuing in the graveyard after if it's removed from the board.
Fixed an issue with Regis not transforming into Higher Vampire.
Fixed a rare issue with using Treason on a damaged Cantarella: the card will be moved to the graveyard correctly while having at most 6 strength.
Tibor Eggebracht now gains base value strength and reverts to 7 once removed from battlefield.
Fixed an issue with Roach and Foglets not coming back on the board when previously locked.
Fixed an issue with Pavetta destroying herself after using Alzur's Double Cross.
Fixed an issue with Tuirseach Axemen recieving a massive amount of points after Dimeritium Bomb was used.
Tuirseach Axeman's ability will not be triggered by set and consume effects.
Tuirseach Axeman's ability will only be triggered by opponent's units.
Fixed an issue with Skellige faction ability not working on Morkvarg.
Fixed an issue with Ele'yas recieving points for Commando Neophyte's, which where moved with Drowners or Geralt: Aard's ability.
Revealed ambush cards will be affected by Weather now.
Morkvarg should no longer recieve random strength values after being affected by weather and resurrected.
Harpies will no longer spawn eggs when pushed by Geralt: Aard.
Fixed an issue whereby Ceallach would be activated 3 times upon using Jan Calveit's ability.
Fixed an issue whereby Dimeritium bomb would reset units' to their base strength disregarding Weather Effects.

Game polishes:

Jan Calveit's tooltip fixed to mention non-Gold Units.
Added a 1 turn timer to Lubberkin's ability.
Fixed Skjall's tooltip to: lose 2 strength instead of 3.
Numerous tooltip fixes.

Notably (for me at least), it destroys the deck I was playing in a few ways and doesn't really hurt the Monster deck everyone else seems to play. Looks like i'll have to switch to the Skellige deck they buffed.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

For anyone looking for a key, I found some in about five minutes of looking.

http://www.techno360.in/gwent-witcher-card-game-free-key-pc-xbox/

If that runs out, just do a google search in the past 24 hours for "gwent + beta key + giveaway" or something like that.

sips
Oct 26, 2004

im gonna take me a nap on some dawg dirt
the Devs gave me a bunch of keys to give away on a stream I did last week. I'm pretty sure there are some left so go nuts. Apologies in advance if they're all gone. You might need to follow me on twitch for it to work but just unfollow after you claim

https://www.playgwent.com/giveaway/YogscastSips

Game is pretty good so far, at least I've enjoyed it as a little break from hearthstone. Strategy is pretty interesting and there are some decent card mechanics and effects that make games feel more fun than just straight up losing to a bunch of crazy rng.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Applied for the beta but I'm out of my country for 12 weeks but I'm hoping this game gets on multiple platforms like Heaethstone so I can play Gwent on my kindle or phone.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

sips posted:

the Devs gave me a bunch of keys to give away on a stream I did last week. I'm pretty sure there are some left so go nuts. Apologies in advance if they're all gone. You might need to follow me on twitch for it to work but just unfollow after you claim

https://www.playgwent.com/giveaway/YogscastSips

Game is pretty good so far, at least I've enjoyed it as a little break from hearthstone. Strategy is pretty interesting and there are some decent card mechanics and effects that make games feel more fun than just straight up losing to a bunch of crazy rng.

Thanks very much for this! Trying out this and Shadowverse cause I got tired of Hearthstone and loved Gwent in-game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yesterday they began talking about the next big change for Gwent, which i'm kind of worried about. Now positioning in Gwent is going to be a mechanic. Right now you just play things on one of the 3 rows, but the next big patch will introduce playing cards on those 3 rows and in certain positions on those rows.

To me it's kind of fundamentally changing what Gwents biggest strategy is, which is timing. When to play something, when to pass, etc. Now where you play them units will also matter. It could be a good change, but we will have to see.

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
Seems like passing in Round 2 is an alien concept to a lot of people. They'll just try and crush you and bring R3 down to the luck of whichever card you draw.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Just played my first game where my opponent let the timer fully go every turn after I started winning and then didn't send a GG at the end. Think they were a teensy bit upset. In fairness it is a horrible position to be in to lose Round 1, then in Round 2 be basically forced to play value because you can't possibly be the first person to pass. Think the round ended like 45 to 5.

I win basically every game the same way, allowing my opponent to overextend on one turn. Scoia'tael power of turn control seems really underrated. Everybody is playing Monsters, and a tiny fraction Northern Realms. Played against like one Nilfgaard and one other Scoia'tael player over like 5 days of playing a handful of games.

Very often I end up two cards ahead of my opponent in the final deciding round, which allows me to completely manipulate the end result. They have to play into your Ambush/Scorches and so on because the only other choice is to not play it. It also allows you to hold your combos so they can't be nullified, clear up weather and otherwise react to their final plays.

Kinda mad I haven't opened any Squirrel cards in like 5 kegs though. Not even in the choose your own bit.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any news on when the wipe is? I want to play more but starting over from zero always wipes my drive to play card games

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I actually never send a good game. Just don't do it at all.

Wipe is gonna be when they release the game, but probably not before then. Even going in to close beta. They've only confirmed a wipe for release. It's still a good reason to keep playing. They are offering pretty sweet rewards for beta players. Every 5 levels gets you 2 kegs and I think every 2 ranks gets you 2 kegs as well. So you can play a poo poo load now and actually go into the full release with a bunch of cards.

Also, the Monster weather deck is a super big problem. At least for Skellige. I even run 4 anti-weather cards and don't have enough to stop all the weather effects they can play. I run 2 First Light and 2 dudes that reset reduced values to full, which works on weather. Haven't won a single game today to a weather deck despite having those cards as options.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I actually never send a good game. Just don't do it at all.

Why? In the end you only hurt yourself because the people who wait for their opponent to do it first won't reciprocate. Genuinely curious as to your reasoning, or do you just never feel like it was a Good Game?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I started by giving everyone a good game. Then as I played more I started only giving it to people that didn't play Monster decks, because I felt like the Monster players didn't deserve poo poo for playing the overpowered beginner deck. Now I just don't give it to anyone. I don't really like the system. It's probably very salty of me, but I don't really care. I do hope they add some kind of in-game communication beyond the good game system.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah that's pretty salty

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Strictly speaking it is +EV to never ever send "good game"s because that reduces the total resources available to your potential future opponents. Furthermore,

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
The best part of it is that they almost always send their own gg and then they get nothing in return.

I'm really enjoying the King Bran discard deck. It's taken a bit to get used to but it's very fun to play and when it works, it works very well. Kind of a complicated deck to play. It can also get really hosed over by bad draws. There is nothing quite like losing round 1 and then drawing all your spy effects for round 2.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

A good case for why rando matchmaking needs a banlist.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Any news on when the wipe is? I want to play more but starting over from zero always wipes my drive to play card games

You won't be starting from zero. You'll get stuff for leveling.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

SaviourX posted:

A good case for why rando matchmaking needs a banlist.

Are you talking about a card banlist or a player banlist? Cards can just be changed and a player banlist would never work because you could just put the best players on your banlist so you never had a tough matchup.

If you're upset about me not giving good games after a game, remember that i'm not depriving anyone of any rewards. You get rewards for playing games that aren't +5 ore or +5 scrap. The good game function is entirely optional and not a part of the reward system at all.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

In that case, have at it.

I was thinking more of the salt I have in general at the modern matchmaking paradigm being an absolute pile of poo poo, and server browsers being such an afterthought if they even exist nowadays.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I finally got an invite to this, is there any way to earn cards at the start outside of buying them with usd, or do you just have to jump in to the queue with an all-basics deck? I did the tutorials, did 1 practice mode and 1 casual so far. At least casual seems to give you some exp & a little bit of gold/ore I guess.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hauki posted:

So I finally got an invite to this, is there any way to earn cards at the start outside of buying them with usd, or do you just have to jump in to the queue with an all-basics deck? I did the tutorials, did 1 practice mode and 1 casual so far. At least casual seems to give you some exp & a little bit of gold/ore I guess.

Jump into ranked mode. I think the lower ranks now are a bit more playable than when they introduced the mode, due to new players coming in, so you'll probably run into other folk running basic decks, or lightly modified versions.

To get more cards, outside of money and the small random reward for a wining a game, either scraps, ore, or a card, you also have the daily reward system(I think only works in ranked), which nets you 100 ore for 6 round wins, 75 for 12, and 50 for 24 round wins. With the GG reward system at the end of each game you also get some scraps or ore with every game. You can probably grind two kegs a day, in little bit over an hour of play, unless you run into real bad luck or get stuck.

But yeah CD Red should probably give some welfare kegs when one starts the game for the first time, or maybe increase the amount of rewards one gets when it's at a low level, cause the early grind is a pain, even if you can get more cards pack per day compared to something like Hearthstone.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Electronico6 posted:

Jump into ranked mode. I think the lower ranks now are a bit more playable than when they introduced the mode, due to new players coming in, so you'll probably run into other folk running basic decks, or lightly modified versions.

To get more cards, outside of money and the small random reward for a wining a game, either scraps, ore, or a card, you also have the daily reward system(I think only works in ranked), which nets you 100 ore for 6 round wins, 75 for 12, and 50 for 24 round wins. With the GG reward system at the end of each game you also get some scraps or ore with every game. You can probably grind two kegs a day, in little bit over an hour of play, unless you run into real bad luck or get stuck.

But yeah CD Red should probably give some welfare kegs when one starts the game for the first time, or maybe increase the amount of rewards one gets when it's at a low level, cause the early grind is a pain, even if you can get more cards pack per day compared to something like Hearthstone.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I can't even enter ranked yet, it's greyed out. I guess I need to be higher level maybe? So back to casual it is!

Seems like an odd choice to gate ranked when you also don't have the option of grinding a couple levels and some welfare cards off the practice ai like hs etc.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah the time barrier to ranked is too long in my opinion. Takes a while to level up. Might be better if you level up during the campaign mode, whenever they release that.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Note that you do accrue some casual mmr, which is used to set your initial ranked mmr when you go to that mode. Its not alot, but it is there and I went up to rank 3 just hitting the ranked mode button at level 10.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Hauki posted:

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I can't even enter ranked yet, it's greyed out. I guess I need to be higher level maybe? So back to casual it is!

Seems like an odd choice to gate ranked when you also don't have the option of grinding a couple levels and some welfare cards off the practice ai like hs etc.

You also get some rewards when you level up. These are fixed rewards, ore, scraps the odd free keg, also cards some of them are complete dud rewards like commons as First Light and Adrenaline Rush, others(lvl 18 and 20) are Ciri and Decoy, two legendary cards with the second one being one of the best and most used legendary(Though getting to 20 can take quite awhile depending on how much you play and how much you win). Ranked Mode also has rewards going through each rank, but i guess that's not very helpful now. :v:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
So I did a really nerdy thing today and wrote a guide on Gwentify for the King Bran deck I play. Would love it if you guys have any suggestions for improvement on it and if you could give it a rating. http://gwentify.com/decks/raisin-bran/

Who knows, it might also help you play the deck.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Out of a sense of wanting something new and completely different to everything i've seen yet, I built a control deck using Harald the Cripple. It is the most fun i've had in Gwent. http://gwentify.com/decks/crippling-control/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ShowTime posted:

So I did a really nerdy thing today and wrote a guide on Gwentify for the King Bran deck I play. Would love it if you guys have any suggestions for improvement on it and if you could give it a rating. http://gwentify.com/decks/raisin-bran/

Who knows, it might also help you play the deck.

This plays a lot like the early versions of the Queenie/Zombie/Discard Skellige. But without the Medic train of old, and the shieldsmiths giving 4 base strength to Morkvag, I find it lacks a proper punch at end with Lugos/Cerys, and your deck list is liable to get disrupted in a big way and break your combos against some factions(mainly Monster and Nilfgaard).

Ciri:Dash is a better closer than Lugos(Or even Champion of Champions/Cerys). You mention Radovid but the real Lugos killer is Triss, and everybody runs Triss due to her being able to target any row on the board, to clean out little spies or Cow Carcass, and poor Lugos is well within range of her removal. Dash is well outside of removal of everybody(other than shackle shenanigans), and you can get her buffed to a ridiculous size with the right plays, and give much needed help in the early game. Folk are also packing a lot of clean removal in the form of Azure's thunder, and they won't hesitate to shut down Champion right away. He can also get locked by Cleaver, and ofc weather can and will ruin or your day if all you can answer is one FL and a Dime bomb.

Other issues you might end up with is just Vicovaro Medics and Katakans, Ghouls, Caretakers eating/stealing your cool stuff. Like the Champ/SilverCerys you spent 3 rounds nursing, or the Queensguard to ruin the big Cerys play, and deflate your Lugos finisher.

With Ciri:Dash, I suggest letting go the Cerys/Queensguard, and maybe experiment with the Witcher package, for stronger first rounds and to thin out the deck even faster, as you're not running the two SK spies or last wish.

In the control deck you gotta run the dudes that turn into super bears when they get hit in the face by your other bears, and get more outta your x-men.

• Locked thread