Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who's doing the torture?

ISIS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
There's enough poo poo in motion to despair over so I'm choosing to read that poll as "Majority of Australians still against torturing our own citizens, even if they belong to a specific group."

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Who's doing the torture?

We are apparently; "A new study conducted by the Australian Red Cross found 57% believed torturing an Australian soldier for information should not be allowed and 23% were undecided. But 21% thought it was OK."

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2016/dec/06/torturing-our-soldiers-ok-in-some-circumstances-21-of-australians-say

also,
"An increasing number of people are resigned to civilian deaths as an inevitable part of warfare, especially those from nations not affected by conflict, such as the UK, France, Russia, China and US."

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
name a war in the entirety of human history that didn't have civilian deaths, of course people are resigned to it

I despise it too and think there needs to be as much done as possible to avoid them but most people just don't think hard at all about most topics and just go with their gut

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Great Emu War

starkebn
May 18, 2004

QUACKTASTIC posted:

The Great Emu War

touche

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
The Toyota War, though it's probably safe to assume there were civilian casualties given Libyan involvement.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Haven't seen it reported here:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-01/australia-at-risk-of-negative-gdp-after-business-investment-fall/8083250

quote:

Australia at risk of negative GDP after business investment fall By business reporter Michael Janda Updated Thu at 2:18pm

The Australian economy is at risk of stagnating, or even shrinking, in the September quarter after official figures showed another steep fall in business investment.

Key points:

Capex fell 4 per cent in September quarter
Economists now tipping GDP move between -0.3 and +0.3pc for September quarter
Mining investment down 33.7pc over past year, non-mining up 7.2pc
Business spending on new plant, buildings, equipment and machinery fell 4 per cent in the three months to September 30, according to the Bureau of Statistics, which was less than a 5.2 per cent drop in the June quarter.

However, it was worse than the typical economist expectation of a 3 per cent decline. In particular, Capital Economics noted the 1.9 per cent decline in machinery and equipment investment that feeds directly into the third quarter economic growth data due out next Wednesday. "We previously estimated that GDP growth was between 0.0 per cent and 0.5 per cent quarter-on-quarter but, after these figures, we have settled on a forecast of 0.0 per cent," wrote Capital's chief Australian economist Paul Dales. "A fall is clearly possible." Some analysts had already begun tipping a quarterly drop in the size of Australia's economy after surprisingly weak construction figures were released last week.

'Hail Mary' needed to avoid very weak GDP number

Not all analysts are that pessimistic, with JP Morgan's Ben Jarman still betting on a (mildly) positive number. "Without a 'Hail Mary' from net trade, government spending or inventories (all delivered next week), it seems likely that GDP growth was weak in the September quarter," he wrote in his note on the data. "We are forecasting 0.3 per cent with some downside risk, which we will finalise after remaining partial data early next week."

Tough year ahead for economy -Next year looks likely to be another difficult year for the Australian economy, writes finance correspondent Phillip Lasker.

Aside from a weak September quarter, the ABS capital expenditure (capex) figures also point to continuing weakness for the rest of this financial year. The latest estimate for business investment in 2016-17 was $107 billion, which was higher than the previous estimate of $105 billion but lower than forecasts and a whopping 14.3 per cent down on the equivalent estimate for 2015-16. Mr Dales said details in the data offer some evidence of the hoped-for transition away from mining to non-mining investment. "While actual real mining investment has fallen by 33.7 per cent over the past year, real non-mining investment has risen by 7.2 per cent," he observed. "But this transition is still slower than most had hoped and we doubt that's going to change soon." Mr Jarman added that recent commodity price increases would likely need to be sustained for quite a while before sparking much new investment in the resources sector. "While the survey responses generally predate the more exuberant tone of global markets of late, they are a timely reminder that consistently stronger commodity price outcomes through this year have not been sufficient to bring forth the waves of new capex they did earlier in the cycle," he noted.

This is typical Tory rule. Slam the opposition on economic management while comprehensively failing to properly run the economy. Everyone involved will do their utmost to massage the final figure so it looks as good as possible so I won't be surprised to see the GDP number on the line but in rounding error territory. Jounalists should be loading both barrels for MYEFO (Laughs bitterly through gritted teeth).

-/-

Vanstone *yawn* The DT was complaining about government money going to the ACF who are now protesting against the government. Do these muppets not understand representative government as a concept? At the moment the Turdball government has the approval of less than half the public. They still (in theory) rule for everyone. Only giving patronage to your mates is called corruption. Thank You for advocating corruption on your front page DT. :thumbsup:

-/-

Muslim isn't a race! I'm not a racist BUT:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-06/chinese-australians-racist-discrimination-asian-mandarin-vietnam/8092926

quote:

Racial discrimination in Australia: A third of young people report race-based mistreatment By Mazoe Ford and Raveen Hunjan Updated about 4 hours ago

Almost a third of young people experienced unfair treatment or discrimination based on their race in the last year, Mission Australia's youth survey has revealed. "This is a little bit of a wake-up call for us, isn't it?" Mission Australia's chief executive Catherine Yeomans said. A total 22,000 young people aged between 15 and 19 from across the country completed the survey, with 4,000 teenagers saying they spoke a language other than English at home — the most common being Chinese, Vietnamese and Arabic. When broken down, the survey showed Mandarin-speaking young people experienced the highest rates of racial discrimination, at 90 per cent. About 80 per cent of Cantonese and Filipino young people. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people were almost twice as likely to report having experienced racial discrimination than their non-Indigenous peers. "There are some conversations going on in our community, or some actions being taken against young people, that are simply not right," Ms Yeomans said.

The ABC spoke to several young Australians about their experiences.

Abir Islam

"I have faced discrimination because of my sexuality, because I am gay, and regarding my race, because I come from a South Asian background. After a while it kind of kind of just desensitises you and you don't really notice it anymore. It just becomes the norm, which is sad. But it does build a lot more character, so you end up a better person, I guess."

Mavis Tian

"I've definitely felt discrimination. Sydney has a lot of Asian tourists and people often think just because you look Asian that you don't speak English and that makes it OK to treat you worse. A lot of the time you go into shops and people say, 'Oh, watch out for the Asian person by the door, keep an eye on her', things like that."

Nancy Li

"I've never heard anyone say anything racist to me specifically, but I've always felt there is an undercurrent of things out there, if you know what I mean. Also, there are not many Asian or black women represented in ads or the media…but I would say racism in Australia is not as bad as in other places."

Noah Leavett-Brown

"I haven't experienced discrimination at all. Sometimes my friends and I call people from other races names as a joke, not seriously, like we just joke around. Sometimes my friends will say, 'you Asians came to take over our country' as a joke, but it's not real…we laugh it off, none of us take it seriously."

Paru Bhandari

"I haven't experienced racial discrimination, but I think there is gender discrimination in Australia because of the gender pay gap. I hope there will be equality in the future — for boys and girls, high class and low class, in education, in jobs, for religion and for race."

Steven Chen

"I've experienced racial slurs, mainly back in high school. It didn't feel too good. At the time I recognised it was mainly because they were quite immature, but I think as I have grown, people around me have also matured. Racism is definitely a thing in Australia, I don't think there's any point in denying it, but I think as the population becomes more educated racism will become less and less."

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

18C defendant TOTALLY not racist

A Facebook account using the name “Calum Thwaites” and also bearing the image of the student at the centre of a national racial discrimination controversy has been used to post a comment in a secret anti-Aboriginal Facebook group, suggesting someone use the word “niggers”.

Phoneposting, so won't c&p the lot

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TheMightyHandful posted:

18C defendant TOTALLY not racist

A Facebook account using the name “Calum Thwaites” and also bearing the image of the student at the centre of a national racial discrimination controversy has been used to post a comment in a secret anti-Aboriginal Facebook group, suggesting someone use the word “niggers”.

Phoneposting, so won't c&p the lot

Oh good, still witch hunting a guy after a court had to waste its time on something without merit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says she can no longer work with her Senate colleague Rod Culleton, portraying him as an egomaniac obsessed with publicity and incapable of teamwork in an extraordinary outburst on live radio.

lmaoo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Byolante posted:

Oh good, still witch hunting a guy after a court had to waste its time on something without merit

He's currently suing a federal MP for defamation, so I don't know why it's not relevant.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson says she can no longer work with her Senate colleague Rod Culleton, portraying him as an egomaniac obsessed with publicity and incapable of teamwork in an extraordinary outburst on live radio.

lmaoo

split split split split

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Synthbuttrange posted:

lmaoo

How long did it take for Lambie to split from Palmer?

We might have a new record here.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Took a year.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's currently suing a federal MP for defamation, so I don't know why it's not relevant.

Because the MP allegedly called him a racist and tried to witch hunt him after a court had decided on the case then doubled down and may have exploited parliamentary privileged to possibly influence an ongoing legal case.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SPLIIIIIITTTTSSS

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

As if he didn't loving perjure himself.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

Byolante posted:

Because the MP allegedly called him a racist and tried to witch hunt him after a court had decided on the case then doubled down and may have exploited parliamentary privileged to possibly influence an ongoing legal case.

that guy is you isn't it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dick Smith has come out in support of Pauline Hanson because he's a racist.

The Arse posted:

Mr Smith said while he didn’t agree with Ms Hanson on a number of issues — climate change, for example — population growth was a key issue facing Australia.

“She’s the only political party that has a policy on population that is not endless growth,” Mr Smith told ABC Radio in Sydney.

“She announced in her maiden speech immigration would come down to replacement levels. I’ve been saying that for over five years.

“The reason people are voting for Pauline Hanson is because they are so completely frustrated with the present major parties. Even the Greens don’t have a population party because they say if you mention immigration, you’re racist. It’s ridiculous.”

Mr Smith was challenged by host Wendy Harmer over how he could support Ms Hanson’s views on immigration given she didn’t believe in climate change.

“I believe in climate change ... the Liberals don’t believe in climate change,” he said. “How do you solve climate change if we take the population from 7 to 12 billion.”

Asked today about Dick Smith’s support for Senator Hanson, Mr Turnbull said “we have a vibrant democracy” and people are entitled to campaign for independents or political parties.

People ‘screaming out’ for change

Mr Smith told The Daily Telegraph he decided to help Ms Hanson after friends on both sides of the political spectrum embraced her party. He said he too supported many of her policies.

“I support her policy on Julian Assange. I support her immigration policy. She says she’s going to have a policy to help general aviation. I’ll certainly support that,” Mr Smith said.

“I agree with her views on immigration numbers, that is about 70,000 a year, not 200,000. But I do not agree with her views on Muslim immigration,” he said.

Ms Hanson said she would run One Nation candidates in the next NSW state and federal elections, targeting seats across Sydney where she believes voters want change.

“People are just really fed up with the major parties and screaming out for change,” she said. “I think there’s a move on across the country for One Nation.”

Mr Smith, who threatened to run against Bronwyn Bishop in the last federal election if the then member for Mackellar did not retire, said he had noticed “so many” of his former Coalition supporting friends had switched their support to Ms Hanson. “I am starting to see why she’s going to have incredible support and how completely disappointed people are with the two major parties,” he said.

He said he had confronted her about claims she was a racist. “I asked her, does she think she’s superior to other races? She said no,” he said.

Mr Smith ruled out financial backing for One Nation, saying he had never donated to a political party.

He said he might stand for federal parliament as an independent at the next election.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Byolante posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Believing we should reduce immigration to replacement levels is perfectly reasonable. Supporting Pauline Hanson because she believes the same thing is not at all reasonable.

I just want to ask him if he's maybe using that issue as a justification for supporting her and hear his answer. And then we could explore his motivations in all sorts of ways. Or better yet have a media who is willing to really dig into people's motivations instead of asking surface level poo poo.

"Are you racist?" he asked the racist. "No," said the racist. And that's the story ladies and gentlemen, and I am a journalist.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 6, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

Those without the cash just get dumped on the forgotten pile. No one was protesting for them. They're not here, they're not in the news. Those with money to pay who got within reach merely provide the backdrop against which this lot act out their drama. It's the politics of proximity. It costs so little, feels so good.

Is this gibberish?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Is this gibberish?

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Dick Smith: I agree, with Pauline Hanson. Not the most heinous poo poo she says - but I'm happy to ignore that and say that I support her.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Translation: he agrees with her on immigration numbers more than he disagrees with her racism. With means he isn't very opposed to racist poo poo.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Higsian posted:

Believing we should reduce immigration to replacement levels is perfectly reasonable.

I can see the sense in this argument if it's applied globally, but it's pretty rare to see people advocating for increased aid for family planning and the education of girls in developing countries. People who make it seem to be under the impression that they can just pretend the world beyond Australia's borders doesn't exist.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I can see it from an infrastructure and housing angle as well.

Although I don't support replacement levels because our economic system literally requires growth in order to not impale itself on rising debt. So yeah, we're kinda stuck with having a constant influx of workers and consumers regardless of impact to environment and infrastructure. Ironic that the right supports the economic system that requires immigration while also being racists, but they'll never understand the irony so it's not as delicious as it should be.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Why is it the immigration level and not the birth rate? People staying in their own country, or coming here isn't going to affect global emissions (further than a change in lifestyle might see them emit in line with the rest of us.) Like it seems only useful in making sure we look like we emit less, rather than actually solving the problem of how much we emit per capita.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Australia is (or at least should be) better placed to provide additional infrastructure than most places. It's our hopeless politicians not our immigrants that cause the problems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why is it the immigration level and not the birth rate? People staying in their own country, or coming here isn't going to affect global emissions (further than a change in lifestyle might see them emit in line with the rest of us.) Like it seems only useful in making sure we look like we emit less, rather than actually solving the problem of how much we emit per capita.

Our birth rate is well below replacement.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

because he's racist

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Our birth rate is well below replacement.

Not zero though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

more like dick... poo poo

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

more like Dick head Smith

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

open24hours posted:

Australia is (or at least should be) better placed to provide additional infrastructure than most places. It's our hopeless politicians not our immigrants that cause the problems.

Yeah for sure, but I can see an argument like "lets reduce immigration so we no longer have a moving target, then concentrate on fixing our problems with housing etc, then we can raise immigration again when we're on top of it." It's not compelling to me because the 2nd part would never happen, and most people wanting a reduction in immigration would not let the 3rd to happen even if the 2nd did. But I can see someone thinking it's a good idea without necessarily being a racist or racism apologist. That comes in when the person says "Therefore I support Pauline Hanson."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

How do you solve climate change if we take the population from 7 to 12 billion?

Climate change is real guys, but it's brown/asian people's fault. I'm wondering if this is the new narrative pivot. It's certainly a conducive argument for white Australians and their precious privilege. We'll get to your climate change but for now we have to stop the browns.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Climate change is real guys, but it's brown/asian people's fault. I'm wondering if this is the new narrative pivot. It's certainly a conducive argument for white Australians and their precious privilege. We'll get to your climate change but for now we have to stop the browns.

Remember that exporting coal is morally good because it helps developing countries improve their economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

more like Dick head Smith

• Locked thread