Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

hanyolo posted:

People will give them away to you for free. I've got a whole bunch (100+) of spare battlegrounds and common/uncommon non dice cards that I've been giving away to my mates and whoever else wants to take them off my hands.

Yeah, I've been around TCGs enough to know not to overvalue them, and expect most commons will in fact just be bulked out at some point and a non-issue to attain. It just surprised me that even with the small sample size (actually doubled, as I have a friend who also bought 10 boosters and got only 1 other BG card) that they seem to be seeded very rarely into the packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Merauder posted:

Yeah, I've been around TCGs enough to know not to overvalue them, and expect most commons will in fact just be bulked out at some point and a non-issue to attain. It just surprised me that even with the small sample size (actually doubled, as I have a friend who also bought 10 boosters and got only 1 other BG card) that they seem to be seeded very rarely into the packs.
There's only 10 battlefields in the set, and 2 are starter only. They're not seeded any more rarely than any other cards, there's just not enough of them to be commonly pulled. They're not like lands in magic, you only need one per deck.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

g0del posted:

There's only 10 battlefields in the set, and 2 are starter only. They're not seeded any more rarely than any other cards, there's just not enough of them to be commonly pulled. They're not like lands in magic, you only need one per deck.

That makes sense, didn't consider just how few there were to actually find in the packs.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Tried the 2nd evolution of my mill deck last night, won both games. It's Elite Padme and 2 Rebel Troopers. Between Command Center, Padme, Cunning, and Outpost it was routinely able to mill 4-8 cards off the opponents deck every round. It's just a race to keep Padme alive long enough!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Which deck builder is everyone using? SWDEstinyDB seems to be slow and awful

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Currently messing around in this one: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/starwarsdestiny/star-wars-destiny-deckbuilder

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Deviant posted:

Which deck builder is everyone using? SWDEstinyDB seems to be slow and awful

I'm expecting this one will improve, as their previous iterations (thronesdb.com, ringsdb.com, and netrunnerdb.com) all run really well.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Looks like stores won't be receiving additional booster packs until Dec 22nd. Starters will start shipping next week. Hopefully you got everything you needed while you could!

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

Looks like stores won't be receiving additional booster packs until Dec 22nd. Starters will start shipping next week. Hopefully you got everything you needed while you could!
I stopped by the store which again today, and not only did they still have a few boosters, they had a sealed booster box. Which took awhile to buy because it wasn't in their system and wasn't giving a box discount, and one of the employees was pretty sure that they weren't supposed to be selling the whole box because their distributors didn't have any more. But there was no one higher up to check with, so they sold it to me for $90.

I do not feel guilty at all.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I've got a pretty disgusting Han + Rey deck made up. If you already have a holdout blaster or dl-44 on rey and another one in hand you can overwrite one with the other to get two actions. You then play scavenge with infamous to make it ambush to get the upgrade you overwrote back then play it again to bump yourself up to 3 more consecutive actions. You can now roll Rey and Han and resolve their dice before your opponent gets a turn. If you have another piece of ambush equipment in hand you could get yourself up to 4 turns and it would give you a chance to reroll your dice as well.

It's entirely possible to go from no characters activated to resolving 12+ damage late game. I killed a rebel trooper on the first turn before he got to activate.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I opened a Vader which is super cool and was able to slot him into the Kylo deck pretty easily by swapping out the handful of red cards with other booster bits and pieces. Not a huge fan of the fact that you have to get a hold of a second die to use the more powerful version of a character though. Upside to that at the moment is that the one die Vader goes well with the two dice Kylo points-wise.

All of the elements are different enough from something like Magic to make me totally unsure how to build decks in terms of general card type, resource cost curve, effects, etc. though. Looking forward to figuring everything out over the holidays because it seems like a cool game.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

g0del posted:

I stopped by the store which again today, and not only did they still have a few boosters, they had a sealed booster box. Which took awhile to buy because it wasn't in their system and wasn't giving a box discount, and one of the employees was pretty sure that they weren't supposed to be selling the whole box because their distributors didn't have any more. But there was no one higher up to check with, so they sold it to me for $90.

I do not feel guilty at all.

You shouldn't feel guilty. $90 is about what you should be paying, if you aren't trying to buy them off ebay. It's what I paid for all my boxes and is still more than what MiniatureMarket was selling them at ($86) for awhile.

Also, your store probably just had a box in the back leftover. All distributors are sold out right now, like you say. Ebay boxes are going for like $160 on average.

Edit:

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I've got a pretty disgusting Han + Rey deck made up. If you already have a holdout blaster or dl-44 on rey and another one in hand you can overwrite one with the other to get two actions. You then play scavenge with infamous to make it ambush to get the upgrade you overwrote back then play it again to bump yourself up to 3 more consecutive actions. You can now roll Rey and Han and resolve their dice before your opponent gets a turn. If you have another piece of ambush equipment in hand you could get yourself up to 4 turns and it would give you a chance to reroll your dice as well.

It's entirely possible to go from no characters activated to resolving 12+ damage late game. I killed a rebel trooper on the first turn before he got to activate.

So i'm trying to understand this more. You play a Holdout Blaster, then use the extra action to play another Holdout Blaster, then use that extra action to play a Infamous/Scavenge, putting Holdout Blaster back in your hand. Then you use that extra action to play the Holdout Blaster again, i'm assuming using the 2nd Holdout Blaster to pay for the first one. But you still only have 1 Holdout Blaster on the character and one extra action, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do. After you activate Rey or Han using that extra action, your opponent gets to act, don't they? I'm just not seeing where the consecutive actions are coming from, because you are using all those actions to play the other cards and then the last one to activate a character.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 8, 2016

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ShowTime posted:

So i'm trying to understand this more. You play a Holdout Blaster, then use the extra action to play another Holdout Blaster, then use that extra action to play a Infamous/Scavenge, putting Holdout Blaster back in your hand. Then you use that extra action to play the Holdout Blaster again, i'm assuming using the 2nd Holdout Blaster to pay for the first one. But you still only have 1 Holdout Blaster on the character and one extra action, right? I'm just trying to figure out what you are trying to do. After you activate Rey or Han using that extra action, your opponent gets to act, don't they? I'm just not seeing where the consecutive actions are coming from, because you are using all those actions to play the other cards and then the last one to activate a character.
I think I get this. The blaster has ambush (get another action after playing), and Rey's ability is "After you play an upgrade on this character, you may take one additional action.", which is like ambush but isn't, so it can stack with ambush.

So, you start with a blaster on Rey, and Infamous (Before you play a Yellow card, you may exhaust this support to give it the Ambush keyword. ) in play. Play the blaster to replace the blaster on Rey (cost 0 because you're replacing it), giving you 1 extra action from ambush and a 2nd action from Rey's ability. You now have 2 actions, a blaster on Rey, and a blaster in the discard pile.

Use 1 action to play Scavenge, exhausting Infamous to give it ambush. Use Scavenge to take the discarded blaster in hand. You still have 2 more actions to take (Rey's ability, and the ambush from Scavenge).

Use an action to replace the blaster on Rey with the blaster in hand (cost 0 because you're replacing it), triggering Rey's ability again for another action, and getting an action from ambush on the blaster. You now have 3 actions left.

You can use 2 of the actions to roll Han and Rey's dice, and then your third action to resolve dice. All without your opponent getting a chance to do anything.

The biggest problem will keeping track of things without it turning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROhf5Soqs&t=20s

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Gumdrop Larry posted:

All of the elements are different enough from something like Magic to make me totally unsure how to build decks in terms of general card type, resource cost curve, effects, etc. though. Looking forward to figuring everything out over the holidays because it seems like a cool game.

Starting deck building guide:

2 colors (mono is too restricted with the current card pool I think)

~23 cards in the 0-2 cost range

15-20 dice seems to be normal

keep expensive cards with situational use to one of's, and liberally use them for rerolls

include lots of dice manipulation in your deck no matter what archetype you're building

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

KongGeorgeVII posted:

How close is it to this list? I think they're going to be a staple combo in this core set. Rey's action economy enabling is really really good.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-...campaign=buffer

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Starting deck building guide:

2 colors (mono is too restricted with the current card pool I think)

~23 cards in the 0-2 cost range

15-20 dice seems to be normal

keep expensive cards with situational use to one of's, and liberally use them for rerolls

include lots of dice manipulation in your deck no matter what archetype you're building

Maybe it's just because I haven't gotten many cards; 15-20 dice sounds like a lot! I haven't dived into the rules deeply yet, I know you can only have a color card in your deck if you have that color hero. Can you only attach them to those color heroes or anyone that could take them, barring any other restrictions on the upgrade?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

g0del posted:

I think I get this. The blaster has ambush (get another action after playing), and Rey's ability is "After you play an upgrade on this character, you may take one additional action.", which is like ambush but isn't, so it can stack with ambush.

So, you start with a blaster on Rey, and Infamous (Before you play a Yellow card, you may exhaust this support to give it the Ambush keyword. ) in play. Play the blaster to replace the blaster on Rey (cost 0 because you're replacing it), giving you 1 extra action from ambush and a 2nd action from Rey's ability. You now have 2 actions, a blaster on Rey, and a blaster in the discard pile.

Use 1 action to play Scavenge, exhausting Infamous to give it ambush. Use Scavenge to take the discarded blaster in hand. You still have 2 more actions to take (Rey's ability, and the ambush from Scavenge).

Use an action to replace the blaster on Rey with the blaster in hand (cost 0 because you're replacing it), triggering Rey's ability again for another action, and getting an action from ambush on the blaster. You now have 3 actions left.

You can use 2 of the actions to roll Han and Rey's dice, and then your third action to resolve dice. All without your opponent getting a chance to do anything.

The biggest problem will keeping track of things without it turning into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ROhf5Soqs&t=20s

Thanks, this is like the 2nd time i've hosed up a major thing by not reading. I didn't realize Rey had that power.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Going to my first Star Wars OP event tonight, not sure what deck to bring so I'm just going to borrow one from a mate.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
won the local tourny undefeated with Rei & Qui-Gon mono blue.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bowmore posted:

won the local tourny undefeated with Rei & Qui-Gon mono blue.

I mean, don't give us a decklist or anything. Grats on the win. How many people in your area playing?

Edit: Actually you probably don't have a decklist since it looks like you borrowed the deck. Any cards you can remember? Do you know he ran 2x Force Throw? I think that is one of the best cards available right now and only a one of in the Rey starter.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 8, 2016

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Pulled off my Ace in the Hole to Crimelord to rolling the special after my opponent claimed for a 1st round kill on rey tonight :v: had 2 spare cards in my hand for rerolls as well just incase.

:feelsgood:

Deck was the Veers + Jango one I posted earlier but removed something I Can't remember for aces in the holes and an AT-ST for another crimelord

Got it off in the 3rd round in another game too, love the reaction of people who don't know its coming

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 8, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

hanyolo posted:

Pulled off my Ace in the Hole to Crimelord to rolling the special after my opponent claimed for a 1st round kill on rey tonight :v: had 2 spare cards in my hand for rerolls as well just incase.

:feelsgood:

Deck was the Veers + Jango one I posted earlier but removed something I Can't remember for aces in the holes and an AT-ST for another crimelord

Got it off in the 3rd round in another game too, love the reaction of people who don't know its coming

Hi Jonesy, it's David the guy you crimelorded. If it isn't you then two people got crimelorded by very similar decks tonight.

What a loving game that was. 9 damage on Han turn one. Turn 2 Han kills Jango. Turn 3 and veers is half health but you pull out an ace in the hole crime lord for the win. Craziest game I've played by far.

ShowTime posted:

You shouldn't feel guilty. $90 is about what you should be paying, if you aren't trying to buy them off ebay. It's what I paid for all my boxes and is still more than what MiniatureMarket was selling them at ($86) for awhile.

Also, your store probably just had a box in the back leftover. All distributors are sold out right now, like you say. Ebay boxes are going for like $160 on average.

Edit:

g0del already covered this but it is the stacking of Rey's ability with ambush that gets you multiple unanswered actions. Hypothetically if you have a holdout blaster on rey, 2 infamous in play, a holdout blaster in hand, 2 DL-44s and two scavenges you could get 6 consecutive actions. I was reasonably consistently getting 3 or 4 though in a lot of games. 4 means you can roll rey and Han, reroll and then resolve damage. Usually you have a holdout blaster or two and/or some jet packs and DL-44s so you are often hitting between 8-12 damage with a good roll.

Bottom Liner posted:

How close is it to this list? I think they're going to be a staple combo in this core set. Rey's action economy enabling is really really good.

https://teamcovenant.com/star-wars-...campaign=buffer

They are similar. He is missing scavenge which is awesome because it let's you cycle the holdouts and DL-44s mid turn. I also don't run play the odds because I just don't find it necessary and it slows you down. My upgrades are pretty different too.

e: Han and the DL-44s have 3damage sides that cost one resource, and you want to be spending resources on upgrades early in the game before you start overwriting things and cycling them so the events I tried to keep cheap. Willpower is great for keeping things alive. Let the wookie win makes your opponent have to choose between potentially losing half their turn sometimes or putting there characters within striking range of an ambush combo.

I hard mulligan for holdout blasters and infamous because they just set you up for crazy unstoppable combos. DL-44s are nice to see but because they cost one more you won't get them popping until the second turn and this is a deck that wants to just hit hard from the get go. I have killed rebel troopers turn 1 before.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 8, 2016

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is it true that organized play requires opaque backed sleeves? If so that's a bummer. I much prefer how clear sleeves look, and they're usually cheaper too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

uncle blog posted:

Is it true that organized play requires opaque backed sleeves? If so that's a bummer. I much prefer how clear sleeves look, and they're usually cheaper too.

Yeah, that's how their other card games are.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Only if you run promo cards.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No pretty sure it's a flat policy no matter what. Too easy to cleverly mark card backs otherwise.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

No pretty sure it's a flat policy no matter what. Too easy to cleverly mark card backs otherwise.

Right, which I imagine is why they have the policy. Some gamers are just dirty. You could potentially "nick" edges of your cards to see what is where using clear sleeves. Card gamers have developed some dirty tricks over the years.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah, it's in the tournament regs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Can't you mark sleeves as well, though?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Only in more obvious ways. Cardboard can be altered in much more subtle ways than thin shiny plastic.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
And then when caught, more easily passed off as happenstance. It's a lot easier/cheaper to replace sleeves than cards, so you can just claim your cards have seen a little play and can't be fixed. Sleeves just get swapped out.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Hi Jonesy, it's David the guy you crimelorded. If it isn't you then two people got crimelorded by very similar decks tonight.

What a loving game that was. 9 damage on Han turn one. Turn 2 Han kills Jango. Turn 3 and veers is half health but you pull out an ace in the hole crime lord for the win. Craziest game I've played by far.

Haha yeah it's me, small world!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShowTime posted:

I mean, don't give us a decklist or anything. Grats on the win. How many people in your area playing?

Edit: Actually you probably don't have a decklist since it looks like you borrowed the deck. Any cards you can remember? Do you know he ran 2x Force Throw? I think that is one of the best cards available right now and only a one of in the Rey starter.
It was a pretty bad deck tbh and not worth emulating, it did have two Force Throw and two One With The Force that were MVP though

we had about 8 people show up for the first night

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

bowmore posted:

It was a pretty bad deck tbh and not worth emulating, it did have two Force Throw and two One With The Force that were MVP though

we had about 8 people show up for the first night

Yea Force Throw is now the most expensive non-rare card in the game. It's already up to $8 on miniature market, which is half the cost of the deck its in. It's really good.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Cobbled together this deck, and it works shockingly well so far. Even in games where Veers goes down fast, I've been able to pull it off with Jabba fuckery and support. I actually haven't played with the AT-ST yet but I just got it today and it slots right in but I doubt I would run a second one due to the hefty price tag.

http://swdestinydb.com/deck/view/89122

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This one is running like dank rear end in a top hat. I can't publish decks for 24 hours after making an account and I can't edit a deck once I've saved it, I just get a "Page can't be reached" error.

EDIT:

3 Starters and only 2 boosters really limits what I have on hand.

Finally got to run this tonight. First game I was way too timid on resources and damage. Fortunately I made up for it by running Mind Probe special almost every turn after I had it. Frankly, I didn't deserve that win. Following with a second game, I went hard on damage and a lucky 3 resource roll let me put out some upgrades and have enough left over. Forced him on tilt by making plays he had to respond to, then rolled 1 melee on Jango with two +2 melee from his double lightsabers to wipe out his last character. Felt good; free action economy from Jango is a good time. Fit three upgrades on him and activate for free, throw that damage out.

Fat chance that I know what I'm talking about though.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Is drafting a thing in this game yet? And if so, how does it work?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Is drafting a thing in this game yet? And if so, how does it work?

I can't imagine drafting being a thing unless they do a specific draft set, like they did with Netrunner. Even sealed wouldn't work, as you don't have the guarantee of opening a character. You could potentially have outside characters brought in and you play what you draft, but thats messy. They would also have to remove the hero/villain and color restrictions, meaning you'd get to play every card you open regardless of how it is restricted.

Maybe one day, but I can't see it happening soon.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

ShowTime posted:

I can't imagine drafting being a thing unless they do a specific draft set, like they did with Netrunner. Even sealed wouldn't work, as you don't have the guarantee of opening a character. You could potentially have outside characters brought in and you play what you draft, but thats messy. They would also have to remove the hero/villain and color restrictions, meaning you'd get to play every card you open regardless of how it is restricted.

Maybe one day, but I can't see it happening soon.

Okay, cool. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

So, are Vader and AT-ST the only chase rares, right now? Maybe Jabba? I see Vader going for about $40, Jabba for $20, and AT-ST for about $15. I'm thinking of getting a box (maybe 2) of boosters and then buying singles of legendaries/rares as needed and I think I'll come out ahead of getting the Team Covenant set.