Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

HEB makes the rest of American grocers look like Soviet food depots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

American Apparel is probably next.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Another factor, albeit circumstantial at best, killing retail is people going into stores and getting very very angry about anything made in China. Craftsman being pawned off the Sears wreck isn't that surprising, their tools haven't been worth a drat in a long time.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

OhFunny posted:

http://www.wkbw.com/news/national/american-apparel-stores-to-close-after-buyout

No one here will be surprised, but it's now confirmed all 110 American Apparel stores will close by the end of April.

edit: Gildan Activewear will also stutter American Apparel's clothing factory, one of the largest in the United States, production will be transferred to Central America.

there was already a clearance, since the end of December at the local store. Time to get some USA Flag shirt and never wear it

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

JC Penney's announced 138 store closings:

https://www.boston.com/g00/news/business/2017/03/17/here-are-the-138-jc-penney-stores-that-are-closing

From the areas I know of, many of these JC Penney's seem to be pre-shopping mall main street JC Penney's in smaller towns.

Lush is killin' it around here and all JC Penney's had going for it was Sephora.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Every mall has a no name store that is essentially a shoe-give-away warehouse. Payless was just filler for dystopian strip malls.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ralph lauren polos are almost $100 and you can get them at tj maxx for $30. I don't know how they'd fix that mess.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Does Amazon plan to expand Fresh stores to Texas to compete with Whole Foods, now that Albertsons might buy them?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Panera is a great business model you should give them your money. Don't even get the food.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cicero posted:

You seem to know a lot about clothing manufacture, so is there any sizable chain that sells well-made non-niche clothes for reasonable prices?

Also I do most of my clothes shopping at Uniqlo and after reading your post find myself curious how they rank on the third-world-labor-exploitativeness scale.

I wonder about Patagonia's 'sustainability' and 'fair-trade' efforts, and how true to those trumpeted terms they use to sell their clothing is to reality.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

There should be a law that limits all bonuses to an intentionally insultingly low amount of like $2.50 if the company is in bankruptcy proceedings.

Actually they should pay the effected employees salaries for a year.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Haifisch posted:

They can just go to the mall, even though some malls are increasingly strict about teens loitering around with no adult supervision later in the day. (And of course the whole 'malls are slowly dying' thing)

Or they can hang out at...uh...the library? Sure, the library. That hotspot of teen activity.

Amazon Books is the happenin' place in town.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

How can Neiman Marcus be in trouble these are surely flying off the shelves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Yeah they were always doomed in the long run for that reason but they also made a whole host of incredibly stupid decisions along the way.

Also Reggie is no dummy, he's definitely there to cash fat checks while the company winds down.

He made sure he increased Switch inventory at Gamestop protecting his investment, win-win for him really.