Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

OneEightHundred posted:

and pantry/grocery have a pretty large "need-it-now" factor.

I can confirm thiso. He'll the company actively promoteseeking our online shopping which can be picked up at the store or home delivered, but it's a tiny niche

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Around here, Stop & Shop offers that, as do Ahold's other supermarket chains across the US - usually as a bunch of climate-controlled lockers out front of the store. They only offer it at some of the stores though, while the delivery service is offered from a lot more.

The need to have a separate storage space seems to be the biggest issue for expanding it.

The demand for this is pretty low, like a fraction of one percent of our total sales. People either want the food delivered right to their house or if they're going to drive to the store then they want to browse

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now a computer does it all

On this note, I work for a certain large chainn supermarket, and the cash office in each store usually has one full time clerk as well as other trained part timers to fill in as need be. They are now killing that position because new systems installed take a whole days worth of work down to 3 hours.

On the plus side, at the last contract negotiations, the company agreed to create a certain amount kf new full time positions over the baseline in the next 2 years.

On the negative side, there is now a salary cap of $18.50 an hour for new FT employees :negative:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Nonsense posted:

Lush is killin' it around here and all JC Penney's had going for it was Sephora.

Lush is killing it everywhere, turns out there is room for ethics in the marketplace.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

To respond to a previous comment, if anyone is interested in what a former mall repurposed into apartments might look like, New Haven has your answer!

https://betweentworocks.com/welcome-new-havens-strangest-apartment-building/

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

simmyb posted:

Haha I went to look at an apartment here, not realising it used to be a mall until I got to the inspection. The agent could read the :stare: all over my face it was pretty good.

Also downtown New Haven is a shithole

Downtown owns, enough that these shittacular apartments start at 1250 for a 1br. Which is amazing that anyone is willing to pay that for this place when there is an apartment building bonanza happening here.

E: most malls are not in the most downtown area of a rapidly gentrifying city though, more like suburban strip mall decay. So the future is bright for cheap and ugly housing units :v:

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 27, 2017

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Our very busy supermarket just installed Walmart type bagging carousels at half our human check out lanes. And its definitely not for customer service, they suck, the lines are backing up worse than ever(and theres fewer people up front to help with anything that pops up). But it cuts down on front end labor needs since it eliminates baggers. The front end employees are usually the worst paid, but they also by far consume the most hours

, and our company has clearly decided on the "chase profit by cutting payrol" strategy, which is honestly a pretty loving dumb strategy for a company to shift to a century into its existence when 1. Its angering all your customers because this isnt what they expect, and 2. You have huge payroll obligations to all the older employees already from when it was a good place to work

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Pharohman777 posted:

Can anyone tell more horror stories of ancient franken-tech in retail? Sounds fascinating.

Our ordering system(at least in regards to our own warehouses) is basically late 80s style Apppleworks and will most likely remain that way for god knows how long. The fact we're a big company I imagine prolongs this for the fact the current system keeps on chugging along and updating to something modern will be some kind of logistics nightmare

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

So the big news last week in the retail apparel world was that American Eagle Outfitters is trying to raise the capital needed to purchase Abercrombie & Fitch.

AEO currently sits as one of the most profitable non discount outlet American Apparel companies still around. Their gross net profit doesn't compare to Gap, INC. but percentage wise their returns are much higher.

I don't understand this at all, what does AE stand to gain from acquiring the brand? It can't be wanting the physical locations because expanding that many actual stores at once in this environment is asinine. I mean stylistically they're not terribly different, A&F is just preppier while AE more standard 20s urban millenial in mind and thats clearly not a good thing in this market. A&F is tanking while AE has been flat or slightly negative in sales growth which isnt a terrible thing in this market. Also, AEs only source of growth recently has been Aerie, and Aerie and AF seem to send very different messages out(and the Aerie message is clearly the profitable one). Also AE has no debt at the moment which is fantastic for a company so it might decide the time to use this leverage is to buy AF, the gently caress?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

Imagine every time you had to go to the grocery you had to throw out a cardboard box.

We actually do this in reverse. Maybe a year and a half ago we decided to start putting the boxes that gallon water comes in up front on a table for people to take who didn't want to use bags. Makes us look eco friendly and saves money on bags. When we first started I thought it was dumb, that no one was going to take these boxes to go shopping with. Boy howdy was I wrong, people loving love taking these boxes. And I assume eventually they need to throw them away (but we also have the huge single stream recycling bins)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I'm still going to poo poo on suburban living even if you do pay half your income in rent(which coincidentally my rent is near half my net income) as being terrible. My friend and I were actually in NYC Monday talking about this, "There's a reason you don't see too many crazy evangelicals or gently caress you, got mine libertarians even in the wealthy part of the here or at home(New Haven), and its because they actually have to deal with and interact with all kinds of people, not live in some homogenous suburban bubble"

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

silence_kit posted:

Lol if you don't think that wealthy people who live in cities don't live in their own peculiar type of bubble, I don't know what to tell you

Ill take my wealthy city neighborhoods even if they are in their own bubvle that still voted almost 90% Democratic vs the upper income Trump voting suburbs a quick drive away.

And lol for someone trying to point to Donald Trump as a rule vs an exception.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

They just gave the new Lorde album a 9.2 despite not giving a rock album a ranking like that in years - which kind of cements my point. They have abandoned the people they claim to serve.

Because Lorde is awesome and you're too old

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They've done a great job of gutting every union that isn't centered on a trade with a labor bottleneck of some kind.

I've only been a member of one union, and it was bad. Our starting wage was minimum wage. I don't know how good our benefits were, because I never saw them. Sign-ups were in January, and only in January, but you had to work a minimum of one year before you would qualify. Any grievances? Good luck. Our union steward worked graveyard.

When our contract renegotiation came up, my union made a big stink about how the company wouldn't give us any kind of raise. They sent posters to our store to put up in the break room, they sent reps to talk to us about a potential strike. It was really kind of motivational, until I found out the raise they were pursuing was .25 cents an hour.

I blew off the next union rep that tried to talk to me. When she persisted, I told her it didn't matter whether we won or lost, because the wages were so low I couldn't afford to stay. I told her I could secure a better raise by quitting the union and pocketing my dues.

She put a sticker on me.

I guess unions for 'unskilled' workers don't have a lot of leverage.

Was this UFCW?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Speaking of motivation, under our new contract at a UFCW grocery chain, new full timers who aren't departent heads will have their salaries capped at $18.50/hr. So some years down the road their labor force is going to consist entirely of part timers making near minimum wage and full timers who know they're never seeing another raise.

got any sevens posted:

A ufcw grocery store.

Same, and our rules are basically the same. But it comes wih the caveat that OT (that isn't the normal Sunday premium) is pretty rare.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

WampaLord posted:

If Uber died off and a more "ethical" service came along that paid its drivers a fair wage and obeyed regulations and rides now cost $25 instead of $15, I'd be totally fine with that.

As a poor, I disagree. I'd use a company that had me riding on the back of a moped if the ride was $10 cheaper

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

NewForumSoftware posted:

Alright you originally said "top 10 major cities", but if we're talking just access to transit, what's the list you're using?

My only point is that more than 10 cities have the ability to take public transit to the airport. It's not that bad in America and has gotten better recently many places.

I mean I live in a city of 135,000 and the immediate neighboring towns have about another 200,000 people in a dense area and the bus system is probably better than most competitive areas but also still kind of sucks?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I'm a millennial and can confirm that my former high school peers are basically split into two groups of having degrees and making good money or, like me, working service jobs and kindly asking that you mail food donations. I mean a lot of millenials are doing quite fine for themselves, all the whining about housing costs is not going to change that. The problem is he half with no degrees is hosed like never before. There are no lomger ample low skills decent paying manufacturing jobs and the service industry actually gets worse and worse as competition becomes cut throats and the few unions remaining are basically UFCW bullshit

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

On the flip side of the coin, I'm really getting kind of tired of people telling me to move away from my job and my entire family just because the Seattle area is "trendy".

Who are these people telling you to move because a place is too trendy?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Can women get away with the traditional male jeans/t-shirt combo

Have you never seen a woman wearing jeans and a tshirt?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

On the flip side of a F500 company, I work at a supermarket and we wear jeans and t shirts

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Safeway is the only national grocery chain in the U.S. that has a fully unionized workforce.

Their prices are probably the third best for groceries; behind Wal-Mart and Trader Joe's.

Safeway is really just a western thing and also a lot of chains have unions. The three main chains around here are Stoo and Shop, ShopRite and Big Y and 2 of those are unionized.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

That store had a ridiculous problem with theft. In general, the more draconian the measures taken by chains to crack down on employees because of the assumption they were stealing, the more stealing took place

Posting to agree with this

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

I mean he could just be under orders niit to open any regular lines before a certain time. I don't know if you know this but a lot of people try to do their job well regardless of pay

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

SimonCat posted:

I'm also lol'ing at people bitching out a guy for shopping during store hours.

I mean the store I work at is 24/7 but it doesnt mean you can expect good sevice at basically anytime night crew is still working

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

SimonCat posted:

B-team comes out at night, eh?

I could say the same applies to customers

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

That makes sense, because I was wondering about that too. Here in CT you can easily find retail jobs that pay above $10/hour and that will even get you somewhat reliable hours, but you're still going to be flat broke all the time if you're working 35-40 hours/week on something like $11/hour.

Well I mean minimum wage here in CT is 10.10, so inherently most retail jobs pay abkve $10 an hour

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

For the first time ever, Amazon released financial details about the Amazon Prime program.

They have over 100 million paying prime subscribers worldwide and Prime is the second biggest subscription service in the world.

That is pretty insane and way higher than I would have ever guessed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.049cfb326d68

Between myself, my close friends, and my current and former roommate, I can confirm 100% of people have prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Zachack posted:

And some of their originals are are really good

The Marveolus mrs. Maisel owns