Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I played through this game years ago and loved every minute of it (except for the ending, until I played the DLC, then I loved every minute of it again). Revisiting it in this format is going to be great.

Kind of wish Remedy would quit dangling Alan Wake 2 in front of us. Just tell us you aren't going to make another one, and stop with the cryptic "well, we really want to make another one, there's like a 50% chance we're going to make another one, maybe, you know, when we have the time to devote to it. Possibly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The ones I can name off the top of my head are basically Skippy, Blind Sally, Jobbo_Fett, Tyty, Psychedelic Eyeball, and myself. :canada:

There's also Lady Naga and Heavenator, though I am hard pressed to name anyone else.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

So thanks to the Deer Fest information, we can actually figure out that Alan Wake begins on September 1st and Alan wakes up in the car on the night of September 8th.

Bright Falls is located in Washington state. The recorded climate in Tacoma, WA on September 8th, 2010 was a high of 63 degrees and a low of 54 degrees. As such, Alan is likely suffering from severe overheating during the daytime.

The real question I ask myself is how the gently caress Alan can MOVE with all those layers. He's bundled up like that kid in A Christmas Story.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Alan comes across to me as an introverted person who doesn't like being around other people all the time, who constantly has other people swarming him because of his job. I can relate, because I'm exactly the same way.

Now, I'm not saying Alan isn't acting like a douche bag, because he totally is--but I can kinda see why he acts the way he does. Still, dude ought to at least make a pretense of tolerating his fans once in a while.

And maybe lay off the tweed.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
That Max Payne run was a pretty good watch. I hope they greenlight it for SGDQ.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Can I ask what your major is, CJacobs?

Honestly, I'm amazed college students have any free time in which to do poo poo like record LP videos. The effort is appreciated.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Cool. So LPing is practical experience!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Nice lens flare, CJacobs.

As for Nightingale, the game has merely suggested it up to this point, but the sheriff did not call in the FBI and she doesn't know any more about his motivations than Alan or the player do right now. I take his calling Wake by names of random horror authors less Alan comparing himself to them and more mockery of him and his profession, like Psychotic Weasel said. Basically, Nightingale is being an ignorant twat about it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What is the song from that trailer? I kinda dig it.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I will play devil's advocate for the commercials, because I think it adds a touch of realism. Probably would've worked better if that wasn't the only TV in the game what did it (like maybe you could catch the tail end of that Mustang commercial before an episode of Night Springs, or something).

I'm not saying it isn't stupid, just... realistic.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Skippy Granola posted:

Hello new avatar!

I can't picture you without that Le Magnifique avatar at this point, Skippy (which I have mistakenly thought for ages now to be a clip from a George Harrison video... but I mean, check YouTube; you'll understand why).

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Highway posted:

As such, I can ask the question "when does the events of the game (by which I mean the parts controlled by the player) take place?" Alan-TV talks about moving the book from horror, because Alice will have to die in a horror story. Alan-Game hears this revelation from Alan-TV. This means Alan-TV either wrote his appearance into the manuscript that controls Alan-Game's action, or possibly that Alan-Game's events happen while Alan-TV writes. If the latter is true, the brief flashes from the TV show concurrent brief moments when Alan-TV breaks the spell and sees his work as a living creature. The real Alan still sits in the sunken cabin typing away. Alan-Game doesn't discover manuscript pages because they were blown away by supernatural winds, he discovers them because the real Alan wants him to find them, possibly to make the story more interesting.

The game's never entirely clear on that point, as far as I remember. All it ever says outright is that in-game events (starting from Alan waking up after his first dunk in the lake) take place a week after Alan and Alice arrive in Bright Falls.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
CJacobs, didn't you say you weren't going to use that flashlight because it gave you headaches during recording? Or does the game automatically give it to you after the power station? It's been so long since I played Alan Wake, I don't recall.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, actually. Remedy hasn't made a game for a system I own since American Nightmare, which is a shame.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

I think when you think of the idea that they were going for with the narrative, it's supposed to feel more vast and deep and far reaching than it actually winds up being in practice. Mostly because as much as he would prefer it, Sam Lake is not a writer with supernatural powers over reality and some of his writing kinda falls flat.

That said, Alan wake is one of my favorite games ever and I really wish they could have gotten funding for a sequel.

I agreed once upon a time, but honestly, the end of the DLC caps off the story in such a way I think a sequel wouldn't do it justice now. I didn't like the game's ending when I originally finished it, but taking the DLC as the last episode of the game proper instead of its own thing (as is clearly intended) made me do a 180 on that.

Though it does kinda suck the game has a really satisfying ending locked behind DLC. But we'll get there when we get there, I guess.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
You may want to outright delete the original version; there's a chance YouTube will flag the second upload as a duplicate and delete that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The DLC is the real climax of the game. I feel like the game's not even complete without them.

• Locked thread