Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hostile V posted:

Ahhh, Alan Wake. I played this game back in 2013 because I picked it up for cheap on a Steam bundle and I ended up looking at old reviews of it before I was done. A lot of people basically called the game an adaptation of a bad Stephen King book. At the time, I disagreed. I'd grown up on a lot of his short stories and felt A: no it really wasn't and B: it really felt more of a homage to horror writers in general, with the occasional Lovecraft reference and some feeling that evoked Clive Barker at a point I can't remember.

Well that was three years ago and after reading Under The Dome and a few of his other books proper (or tried to, in the case of The Tommyknockers) and some of his more recent fiction, I have to say that yeah this game is probably the most accurate adaptation of a Stephen King book that doesn't exist. In fact it actually has some added benefits that King doesn't, such as: no weird views of minorities as Literally Magic, no weird idiosyncratic sayings for kids and teens, no weird sex scenes in general, a pretty rad soundtrack and how this game was most likely not written under the influence of hard drugs or written as part of a half-baked pseudo Grant Morrison soul exercise where you write about that time you nearly died to deal with the demons of your past.

This isn't to say that Alan Wake doesn't have problems (it totally does) but the older I get the more I realize that yeah this game is pretty much Peak Stephen King back when he was allowed to have editors and didn't do drugs.

Also the music is really good.

peak stephen king was doing drugs tho, Misery is his only good book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
stephen king isn't very good at character writing sure but i've seen nothing that really seems to be aping his vast world-building he likes to do

like seriously read Salem's Lot there's like 15 chapters describing what people are doing in the town, or describing the town (i like those parts of Salem's Lot and most of his books tbh, i'd read a Stephen king atlas)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CJacobs posted:

drat, you're right. Harry's only true sin is his jheri curls.

if its good enough for michael jackson its good enough for anyone

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
there's literally nothing objectionable in that paragraph but congrats on finding something inane to get upset about on a website most famous for having a bunch of pedos on it

• Locked thread