Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice; enjoying this so far, looking forward to the rest. Alan Wake is a fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I don't know what you guys are talking about - I totally have a torch (sorry, "flashlight") that is powered by my hands and that I can will to be brighter at the cost of draining its battery faster.

Alright fine it's a hand-crank torch with two brightness settings.

Anyway, you two are really funny. I don't know how you manage to stay so on the ball with your commentary all the way through.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

algebra testes posted:

Man this LP is kinda making me want to play that most recent game they put out, with the actual TV show in it.

Oh, right; they did put out another game. It had something to do with time travel/manipulation, didn't it? What was it called?

Hmm, let's see; they had Max Payne, then Alan Wake, so... "Tim Travell"?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Re: Shadow-Stucky - oh yeah, I was going to say after the first video that the doomed/undead people sort of imitating their living days by rote reminds me of the shibito in the Siren games. It's really effective there too. More-so really, I'd say.

Anyway, it's been said, but I really appreciate the atmosphere and environmental design in Alan Wake. It has a great sense of place and I loved exploring it.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ouch. Hope you get well soon and that it's relatively painless.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
With the tree rings and notable dates, I'd sort of assumed the Mt St Helens reference was something to do with dating major volcanic eruptions via tree rings, but maybe it is just because it's a nearby major event, I dunno.

I've read the Dark Tower books. I think overall they're my favourite Stephen King novels, but then I don't like his work very much, it turns out. :v:

Still. He's a better writer than Alan Wake.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Also, the giants that herd them are very protective of their mammoths. If you get too close, they'll hit you so hard with their club that you're sent into orbit.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I caught some of the stream yesterday. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger, wow. Though I am Australian, I've never seen that game in action before. It was a surprisingly weird feeling to see Australian environments (however cartoonified) in a computer game. A bit more northern and tropical than I'm used to though... it's a bit odd, actually. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. Tasmania is about as far from the tropics as you can get in Australia; it's the literal southern tip of the country.

Anyway, the "Strine" levels in that game are unbelievable. You can guarantee that the (Australian, as mentioned in the stream) developers were cringing hard enough to develop hernias making the game. No-one is that Australian.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It does seem to fight the tone of the imagery a bit.

I'm looking forward to the Bloodborne LP, though. In a roundabout way, Slowbeef's LP of it was what got me to finally give Dark Souls a try, and now I lovehate Souls games! (Recently bought DS3 in a sale, plus an XB1 gamepad to replace my literally creaky old ~2007-vintage 360 gamepad, so I'll be getting to it soon-ish.) Anyway I enjoyed Slowbeef's LP, but it'll be good to see an informative, non-blind take on it.

Still wish I could play Bloodborne myself, though. Yep. Sure do. (:pcgaming:)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Aw, I'd love to watch the stream - it sounds like and all-round good time - but I think I want to play RE7 myself at some point. The reviews I've seen so far seem fairly positive.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

I know this might be an odd question, but is there any way you could upload the full video as a downloadable file? My Internet's being a little spotty right now (it's monsoon season here in Malaysia), and it's really annoying to watch a video that's hitching all the time.

You can just use something like JDownloader 2 for that.

Edit: I was a bit vague there; the program lets you download youtube videos (lots of different things, really) by copying the url while the program is running. It monitors the clipboard for links.

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

For some reason, it ends up as a massive 12 GB download, instead of CJacobs's 6.

Ah yeah, I see; it's a bit misleading. The 12 GB is a total for the different things you can download via that link. If you expand that item you'll see that the video is only 6 GB; it'd be the same thing CJacobs has access to.

The audio track accounts for the other 6 GB, but the program does typically misreport how big the audio track for a video is.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Since it's been established that Alan Wake is basically the author of Max Payne, wouldn't an Alan Wake/Max Payne crossover be self-insert fiction?

Seems right up Alan's alley, really.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm generally not a fan of Suda51's games, but I am vaguely curious about Let it Die.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
"CBBEWhatever Big Bouncing Breasts and a mod that replaces giant spiders with bears."

CJacobs, are you reading from your Skyrim mod load order? :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
We're fast approaching my favourite part of the game. :getin:

I really don't remember seeing those actual TV ads when I played Alan Wake. Maybe because I bought the game in Australia and there would be no point? (Or - maybe more likely - they could only legally show the ads in certain regions?)

Or maybe I just missed them. I don't know, it's been a while.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Hey, me too, sort of. Health problems can do that. I actually had to spend several days in hospital recently due to a mystery case of hyponatremia. And it is a mystery; I'm too young and generally healthy to fit the profile of someone you might expect to get a random case of hyponatremia out of nowhere, so they're describing it as probably an "idiopathic" case... which is basically a highfalutin way for a team of doctors to go :shrug:

So that's concerning. And that's the thing; it's not good for one's general mental state, especially if you're already prone to depression/anxiety/whatever else. I hope you're able to see (say) a psychologist about these things. It does help. If it doesn't help, hey, sometimes a particular psychologist's approach doesn't work for you; it's not the end of the world, it just means you need to try someone else.

Anyway, the rock concert really is the high point of Alan Wake. I love this part of the game. I can really only reiterate what you guys said in the video, but the slow, foreboding build-up - followed by the hilarious, awesome catharsis of the concert light and sound show to break the tension - is just perfect.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Nice. Hopefully I've actually played DS3 myself by the time you get to it. (I've got a bit of a games backlog going.)

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Good luck with finals - and take your time, etc.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know, I've got American Nightmare on PC but not the original Alan Wake, actually. That's only because I got it on 360 back when it first came out though, since in those days it seemed like the game's PC version had been cancelled. (Alan Wake, GTA4 and Condemned 2 were the reasons I bought a 360 at all, in fact.)

Maybe now I'll finally get Alan Wake for PC.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Palling around with Christmas Tree Light Barry in the town at night was one of my favourite parts of the game, though I'd forgotten that you spend more of it with Sheriff Wheeler. Maybe that changes in the next bit; can't remember. It's been a while.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh man, Silent Hill. I remember that I played Silent Hill 2 when it came out on PC, and relatively soon after that played Silent Hill. The first game was never released on PC as far as I'm aware, so I played what was essentially a fan-port. I think it came with an emulator that was specially configured to run Silent Hill. I might have even played it using an actual joystick, believe it or not. Man that was a long time ago. Since then I've seen VB's LP of the game, but that was a while ago now too.

How are you going to play it, out of interest?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
When I moved house around six years ago, my computer's PSU burnt out, and did so in a way seemingly designed to scare the poo poo out of me. The weird thing is, the computer was fine immediately after the move; I used it in the evening and all was well. That night though, at like 3am, the PSU literally exploded; I was jolted awake by what looked and sounded like a series of firecrackers going off inside the case. No lightning storm, and it wasn't even turned on at the time! Completely out of the blue.

The surge protector on the power board the computer was plugged into had tripped, and fortunately nothing else in the computer was damaged. I had to buy a new PSU though. I've been wary of PSUs ever since.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Sam Lake out of nowhere doing the original Max Payne face was one of my favourite parts of this game.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It's uncanny.

vvvvvvvvvvvvv :thejoke: (Sorry for any confusion.) vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 26, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
The ending of Alan Wake (as in the end of the main game, before the DLC and American Nightmare) is the part where I start not liking the story so much. It feels like they sort of wrote themselves into a corner in terms of what it could be about, and I didn't find it that interesting.

I also didn't enjoy playing the DLC very much, from memory... but I did enjoy American Nightmare.

This was cool; I'd never seen this before. The combat looked more fun than in Alan Wake; it's a pity it didn't turn into anything.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It boggles the mind, really. Youtube/Google have so much money. So much. Seems like they could afford to hire some decent UI/user experience people!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Wait, "Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?" is a tag-line for a mobile phone company? That seems weird... sort of like "buy our phones and you'll have lovely reception!".

Maybe I'm just missing the context; I've never seen a Verizon ad. Well... barring Alan Wake.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Do you want to see me stream the Souls games in one 12 hour shot? Well, good news, I'm doing a stream on saturday that is coincidentally going to be that long, for a reason that I can't show you! I'm going back to school next week and I've got a full register of classes for the fall semester, so unfortunately I'm gonna have a lot less time to work on LP stuff. So I figure before I go back down the hole of stress and homework and depression, I'll use my last bit of freedom to have some fun. Hopefully I'll see you there, I will be posting about it here and in the stream thread periodically throughout the day!

Twelve hours for all three? Yikes. Dark Souls 3 alone took me ~83 hours - though that was my first playthrough of course, to be fair.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to catch it live; lots of family stuff on this weekend. Sort of a shame, because it might have made for a good distraction since...

bman in 2288 posted:

Nah, my life just went to hell recently, and I'm still recovering.

... I know this feeling. I don't know what bman is going through specifically, but I had to have one of my back molars extracted yesterday, so I'm in my own personal recovery hell right now, and it tastes like blood. (All the time.)

Anyway, do you think you'll put it on your youtube channel afterwards, CJacobs?

vvvvvvvvvvvvv Edit: Thanks - and good luck with the stream. vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Antistar01 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 18, 2017

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I feel like I'm being a bit of a grumpybum here, but I'm afraid I didn't like the Alan Wake DLC. It felt like what it is; a bunch of pre-existing assets strung together in a slapdash fashion and trotted out as DLC. It also felt like the story didn't go anywhere because they were obviously in a holding pattern while they waited to see if they got funding to do a sequel.

I liked exploring the town and surrounds in the main game; it felt like a reasonably believable place - and I liked how the events of the main game felt at least somewhat grounded in reality too (with an undercurrent of something else going on). That's obviously all thrown out the window in the DLC.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've been watching and enjoying the stream archive; thanks for the huge stream! It has indeed been a good distraction from the slowly healing hole in my jaw.

Did I hear right, though? $10000 for a single CAT scan? Holy moly. :stare: I've recently been discovering to my expense that Medicare (in Australia) doesn't cover dental work, but I'm very glad it does cover general medical things, as I had to have a CAT scan myself when I was in hospital for the better part of a week earlier this year. Along with a bunch of other tests. That whole ordeal didn't cost me anything. Except a whole lot of blood. Man they really poked me full of holes.

Sorry, probably not what you want to hear. (I don't think I could survive in America. Yikes.)

Anyway, yeah; Dark Souls. The stream is actually sort of making me want to play Dark Souls 2 again, which I didn't think was possible. It had felt like once was more than enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
In the Mouth of Madness is certainly... something. A bit high on the cheese factor for me, but if you're into Alan Wake it's definitely one to check out.

But anyway, thanks for the LP! It was cool to revisit it; I'm pretty sure I only played it once, back when it came out.

• Locked thread