Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Device
Jan 18, 2005

Always Intense
Has anyone tried this? https://www.blueapron.com/ It seems cool but I'm worried that it will suck and I'll be out $60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
They're not terrible as gifts, I wouldn't live off them or anything.

Suspect Device
Jan 18, 2005

Always Intense

Noun Verber posted:

They're not terrible as gifts, I wouldn't live off them or anything.

Are the ingredients actually fresh? I'm looking into this for myself as an alternative to frozen dinners a few nights a week.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
I do them occasionally and enjoy it. I like not having to think about what to cook, but still eating a meal I'm cooking fresh. There are also some kind of cool recipes that I would never have tried on my own.

PM me your email address and I can send you a link to get your first box free. You can cancel before the 2nd one ships and you'll be out $0.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I looked quick at the poster name and thought I had sleep posted.

Blue Apron is probably a good idea for people that don't literally live down the block from Publix like I do. Maybe as a way to break new or nervous cooks out of their shells?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's nice for forcing yourself to try a few new dishes and ingredients you never would've tried otherwise

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Suspect Device posted:

Are the ingredients actually fresh? I'm looking into this for myself as an alternative to frozen dinners a few nights a week.

Yes. Frozen ingredients will be in a compartment at the bottom of the box with ice packs and everything else will be in a refrigerator section on top. The inside of the box is lined with insulation, and it's good enough that when I came home late once it was still something close to 40° inside.

The produce isn't the best but it's passable.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've tried Blue Apron and Home Chef and Home Chef is superior. Ingredients are separated by meal, which makes it quicker. Everything seems to be of really pretty good quality, comparable to what I would buy at the store. It's not cheaper than going to the grocery store, but it saves me a lot of trouble and keeps us from eating out so much for easy meals when we don't feel like cooking. It is way cheaper than eating out.

Edit: Also the recipe cards for Home Chef were easier to follow and give you expiration times so you know how long you have before it has to be cooked ("Cook within 3 days" etc). They also give you cooking times to give you an idea of how long it takes to prep and cook each meal.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 4, 2016

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
How are services like this with allergies? I've got a severe dairy allergy, I feel like that would kneecap a lot of potential premade recipes.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Home Chef has options to let them know what allergies you have. Don't know what sort of variety they have though.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Hello Fresh also separates by meal.

I think blue apron's appeal is that it's cheaper than most

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
I was turned off even looking at Blue Apron by an ad that said they'd made a Top Chef winning dish even more succulent by replacing the duck with chicken.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Cavenagh posted:

more succulent by replacing the duck with chicken.

Wow. Just... wow. Does 'succulent' now mean 'safe for scaredy babies'? Or is it 'cheaper'

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
blue apron is literally trash and if you feel the need to receive 4 ounces of overpriced food via mail in 1lb of packaging because you are a baby who can't google a recipe and go to a grocery store and cook like a loving normal non-manchild you should pretty immediately just abort yourself

hth v:shobon:v

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
There's also that whole "terrible working conditions for employees" thing.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

mindphlux posted:

blue apron is literally trash and if you feel the need to receive 4 ounces of overpriced food via mail in 1lb of packaging because you are a baby who can't google a recipe and go to a grocery store and cook like a loving normal non-manchild you should pretty immediately just abort yourself

Counterpoint: I like Blue Apron because I don't have to gently caress with grocery shopping or having to figure out what I'm going to make that will use up an entire head of cabbage or bunch of parsley. They have a good business model (partnering with small family farms to source unique ingredients) and I get to try all kinds of recipes that I wouldn't have otherwise tried.

It costs more than doing it myself but my time is worth money to me, so since I save at least two hours a week with not having to meal plan, grocery shop, and food prep, I think I come out ahead. And this is coming from someone who really, really, really likes to cook.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There are definitely cons to Blue Apron but overpriced? That's not one of them for where I lived. They were exactly on par with buying the ingredients from my local supermarket. Something to do with cutting out a massive store from the supply chain. It's probably more expensive running a huge supermarket vs. their distribute/delivery model.

I live in the bay area where everything is expensive anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Are the portions good sized? I could imagine eating the 2-person portion all by myself without any problem

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

If you read the article it's just because they had temp agencies who would throw literally anyone off the street at them without properly vetting them and that they kicked those staffing agencies to the curb. I had to do that once when I learned the temp agency I used had a drug screening and background check process they followed "occasionally".

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Are the portions good sized? I could imagine eating the 2-person portion all by myself without any problem

I find them to be very good sized, and depending on the meal my husband and I end up with leftovers about once a week. We never feel like it was too little food.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

BA is how I got my start in cooking. It expanded my palette and taught me that cooking wasn't as scary of a task as I thought it was. I'd recommend it as a starting step if you wanna learn how to cook but don't know your tastes/how to cook at all.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mindphlux posted:

Basically this. Chop an onion guys. Jesus gently caress.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Spaced God posted:

BA is how I got my start in cooking. It expanded my palette and taught me that cooking wasn't as scary of a task as I thought it was. I'd recommend it as a starting step if you wanna learn how to cook but don't know your tastes/how to cook at all.

Well also, basically this. A lot of people are scared of cooking or just don't know what they like. Not everyone's kitchen brave. Do Blue Apron for a bit, develop a recipe catalog and an idea of what good produce is supposed to look and feel like, then ditch it and hoof it to the grocery store yourself. I highly recommend Publix, who will drat near take you by the hand and lead you skipping merrily down the aisles if you don't know where and item is. And God forbid they don't know where it is, they'll just about go to another store to find it for you.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah like I said, I love to cook, I love to try new things, and I love Blue Apron for the easy factor.

Also the nerd foodie subforum of a nerd website isn't exactly the target market for stuff like Blue Apron. I'm all for anything that gets yuppies interested in cooking for themselves.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Suspect Device posted:

Blue Apron is a good alternative to frozen dinners. You do have to actually cook the food though. Are you looking for a service that delivers already prepared foods? Blue Apron is not that.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I tried a free trial of both blue apron and hellofresh. I would never actually sign up since yeah, I know how to cook and it's super expensive for what you get. You're paying for the convenience and hand holding. It was ok I guess if money just isn't an issue for you. I will admit that it gave me a couple of recipes that I would never had tried some of the ingredients otherwise and now love making them. But no, it's not like the ingredients come prepared for you. You literally get an onion or whatever and you have to chop it up. It's basically just giving you some groceries for just that meal in the amounts you need but no more and the recipe. So I guess if you're intimidated by getting into cooking it might be worth it?

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:
I've gotten a lot of Blue Apron and I don't suck at cooking.

The Good:

-Constant free offers. If you sign up for a free box, make sure you click "Skip this Delivery" for several weeks after. At some point they will then send you 3 free boxes for friends. Put all of them on different credit cards, give them to friends/family/so. Get 4 or more free boxes. Cancel all those accounts. Profit.

-Real cooking. They'll have you fry meat in a pan then deglaze it like a pro. You'll make roux, you'll reserve pasta water for sauce. Real cooks were involved here.

-Real ingredients. Potatoes, onions, the works. My favorite meal involved making a cream sauce with pine nuts and dousing that over shiso peppers and noodle. I actually really love that recipe.

-You learn. Keep those recipe cards and learn to make real food on your own.

-Directions are usually okay. The recipes are made idiot-proof, but a pro is going to see areas they don't make clear exactly what they're doing or why. So it's more like a Homes and Gardens cookbook, less like Alton Brown.

-Okay flavor. Yeah it's going to taste like it was cooked by an urban white mom, because that's who it's for. Slightly bland, but not bad. Like an urban white mom who went to a cooking class.

-Free cooler bags? If you've been looking for something to stuff your cooler with, get a free box of this poo poo, and you get two gigantic goddamn freezer bags with it.

The bad:

-They abuse their workers.

-Jesus Christ all that wasted packaging. You will hear the environment screaming.

-Expensive as gently caress. It's like $10/meal for the two-person option, as in $60 for 6 servings. If you're cooking at home and you spend this much you could be eating goddamn feelay mean yawn.

-Have to send an email to a semi-secret address to cancel, can't directly cancel from clicking through site. (or click https://www.blueapron.com/cancel_subscription)

-Requires a lot of cooking/mess. Sure you chop your own veggies and stuff, but this poo poo usually takes a half dozen ingredient bowls and 2 pots by the time you're done. You will quickly realize it's not actually easy enough.

-Requires poo poo they don't list, like obviously you need a decent array of pans. And your own salt and pepper. And a meat flipper would help. Spatulas, a quarter baking sheet, a good nonstick fry pan, sauce pans in varying sizes with lids, lots of olive oil... I mean this is all basic stuff, but they talk like everything is in the box and don't make it clear what equipment a dummy really needs. A peeler, at least a couple wooden spoons and pan scrapers, lots of bowls for holding chopped ingredients helps a lot...

-Won't follow mail forwarding. My free box got sent to my old addess and UPS actually DELIVERED it to old address despite the manager trying to send the package back, which I hope is actually illegal, but luckily I'm friends with the manager so I got the box. Blue Apron refunded me saying it hadn't been delivered, but refused to recognize the mail forwarding even after it happened. Their system just cannot understand a mail forward at all. If your address is tricky, have it shipped to work or something.

So who is it for:

-If you live in an urban area and you're not near a grocery store, one free box of Blue Apron and maaaaybe a second if you get desperate is not a bad investment. At that point it would be $5/meal for 12 meals, which ain't bad if you're swamped at work.

-If you cannot cook to save your life but want to, try and box to get a feel for it. You'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. And you'll have had to do basic things like cut potatoes and onions. Good exercise.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

revdrkevind posted:

The Good:
-Real ingredients. Potatoes, onions, the works.
Yeah sounds like they're really pulling out all the stops here.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
unironically, untrollingly : the cost of packing and shipping potatoes and onions through the mail is more than the cost of potatoes and onions

I mean gently caress

I get that it's good for people who are intimidated by cooking, but there are 80 bazillion cookbooks out there that specifically cater to 'easy meals'

it's great to get yuppies interested in cooking, but if getting them interested in cooking requires tons of wasted packaging & emissions to ship their lazy asses a single potato and onion - fuckem, not everyone deserves to eat actual food.

anyways, love y'all, and glad to hear at least one goon has been turned on to cooking by a mail order potato and onion + recipe service.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah sounds like they're really pulling out all the stops here.

Way to be a dick y'all. Just ignore the part about pine nuts and shishito peppers (yes I typed shiso peppers because I forgot that's an in-joke). Which, yes, are a rarity for urban American cooks.

I've also gotten pumpkin cavatelli, goat cheese, fresh herbs, shishito peppers, pine nuts, golden raisins (the service has a thing for using golden raisins to punch up a sauce), red wine vinegar, kale, grass-fed beef, scottish salmon... sometimes the recipes are just burgers and onion rings. Sometimes they're Korean rice cakes, fried chicken and biscuits, or stuffed squash with curry.

The point is that real cooking starts with basics like potatoes and peppers. So does Blue Apron. That is a fine thing. I mean sure it would be 1000% better for the environment if they made you source your own potatoes, but to be fair, half the time those are coming on a truck from Guatemala too. Food in America is hosed.

mindphlux posted:

it's great to get yuppies interested in cooking, but if getting them interested in cooking requires tons of wasted packaging & emissions to ship their lazy asses a single potato and onion - fuckem, not everyone deserves to eat actual food.

This is a totally fair point. Just like anyone who buys a new smartphone every six months. Consumerism in America is sick. But if you're not planning on starting a commune anytime soon, and you're just using the free boxes because there's no way you should ever pay $10/meal when you're home cooking, Blue Apron is maybe not the worst thing in the world.

Now if someone actually pays for Blue Apron every week because they're fine paying $10/meal and throwing away fucktons of packaging every single week, pardon me I stand corrected, yes that person is Literally Hitler. The fact that Blue Apron hasn't gone out of business yet is a total mystery.

Also if you've ever gotten their wine or anything else from their store, you are a cancer on society I hope you die.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm sure glad the two choices here are mailed potatoes or living in a commune. This sets out a very logical example!

But, speaking as someone who HAS spent a lot of time growing his own food, nah, you're a loving idiot. Most people just go to Safeway and that's a gently caress lot better for the environment AND for learning how to cook. But please feel free to bask in your ignorance.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I only user Uber Pool so I can order my potatoes over the internet guilt free, assholes.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm sure glad the two choices here are mailed potatoes or living in a commune. This sets out a very logical example!

But, speaking as someone who HAS spent a lot of time growing his own food, nah, you're a loving idiot. Most people just go to Safeway and that's a gently caress lot better for the environment AND for learning how to cook. But please feel free to bask in your ignorance.

I grew up on a rural farm and helped my grandparents run their tractor. My rig also has a GTX99x9 that hasn't even been released yet my uncle works for NVIDIA and I have kanji stickers on my car. Look I was in the marines and-

Ranter posted:

I only user Uber Pool so I can order my potatoes over the internet guilt free, assholes.

It's almost like we live in a primarily service based economy where people resell items at a markup using value-added services to justify the cost.

Is it always like this around here?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yeah. Take a gander at the crock pot thread for even more snobbery.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

While the level of hostility targeting those using blue apron was unnecessary, I do wonder how much extra waste this does create vs buying it at a grocery store. It seems like a lot of plastic packaging is used from watching an unboxing youtube video, that being said grocery stores themselves also use a stupid amount of plastic with everything.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

revdrkevind posted:

I grew up on a rural farm and helped my grandparents run their tractor. My rig also has a GTX99x9 that hasn't even been released yet my uncle works for NVIDIA and I have kanji stickers on my car. Look I was in the marines and-

loving lol. Hit the showers kid, you're out of your league.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

If you like blue apron but don't like:
- the absurdity of regularly mailing food
- the cost
- the quality of their ingredients
- bland food

Try Mealime. It's basically the same except you still have to go and actually buy the food.

I used it for a few years and it was loving rad. They know how to design a loving dinner, most/all of them had contrasting colors, textures, and tastes. They showed me the right way to make a Caesar salad, brussel sprouts, Waldorf salad, and a bunch of other things. I am gushing here but it does not fully convey the love I have for it. It is loving awesome.

I paid like $8 a month I think? Plus about $40 per week on food (I'm in the Midwest). But they have a free version now which includes everything most people give a poo poo about. Free.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 9, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ranter posted:

Yeah. Take a gander at the crock pot thread for even more snobbery.

Check out blue apron's newest recipe: 1. Canned Chicken 2. Canned Salsa

Combine in slow cooker.

well done!

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

the littlest prince posted:

If you like blue apron but don't like:
- the absurdity of regularly mailing food
- the cost
- the quality of their ingredients
- bland food

Try Mealime. It's basically the same except you still have to go and actually buy the food.

I used it for a few years and it was loving rad. They know how to design a loving dinner, most/all of them had contrasting colors, textures, and tastes. They showed me the right way to make a Caesar salad, brussel sprouts, Waldorf salad, and a bunch of other things. I am gushing here but it does not fully convey the love I have for it. It is loving awesome.

I paid like $8 a month I think? Plus about $40 per week on food (I'm in the Midwest). But they have a free version now which includes everything most people give a poo poo about. Free.

This looks really interesting. I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I meant to type up an effortpost on it a while ago but I am lazy. Instead I'll note some things may be helpful:

• It was originally intended to reduce food waste though I think they may have moved away from that a little bit since you can now swap out recipes.
  • Sometimes you will not know what an ingredient is and will have to search on your phone at the store; they don't have pictures on the shopping list, but I think they were considering adding a feature to make this easier, doesn't look like it's in yet though.
  • Don't substitute ingredients if at all possible unless you know you don't like the recipe as described.
  • You can choose the type of diet you prefer (classic (no restrictions), flexitarian, low carb, paleo, pescetarian, vegetarian), but no vegan and I don't know if it's in the works or not. I've only used classic.
  • You can select allergies you have (shellfish, fish, gluten, dairy, tree nuts, peanuts).
  • It has filters for excluding recipes based on ingredients you don't like. It has about 25 things here. I had it last set on eggplant and mushrooms. Try to keep an open mind at the start though.
  • I can't think of any recipe that was over 600 calories per serving. They are really well balanced.
  • US & metric units.
  • The app is well made.

The paid version has more recipes, nutrition, favoriting, recipe notes, and the ability to view previous meal plans. Probably the recipe variety is the biggest benefit. It's $6/month now or $50/year. Probably worth it but I stopped using it before they added the free version so I dunno, it might suffice. $50/year is a pittance though.

• Locked thread