Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's one of my all time favorite directors. I remember being 14 and just going nuts over SLiTHER. I was really into movies like Return of the Living Dead, The Fly, The Thing, Alien, Predator back then, so that trailer got me pumped. I remember sending a myspace (lol) message to James Gunn asking if he had any neat set photos for a terrible Grant Grant sculpt I was making, and he replied pretty dang quick which was super cool. He even complimented me on the sculpture, which sucked. I'll look and see if I have a picture somewhere. Anyway it was very nice of him to do that.

Super is one of my all time favorite movies. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's def mine. Also, love Guardians with all my heart.

I'm happy for his success because he's legit great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Hell yeah, Slither is easily in my top 5 horror movies. Shame about Lollilove, but you can't win 'em all I guess.

Good luck with your James Gunn thread OP!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He wrote some of the best work Troma has done with Terror Firmer and Tromeo & Juliet.

I love that he constantly reuses Michael Rooker too. Dude has great tastes in actors.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Agreed that those are Troma's best films.

Hell, I even kinda enjoy the Scooby Doo films.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
The first scooby doo is real solid, and I know Gunn has nothing to do with this, but amazing soundtrack.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I remember hoping when I found out part 2 was going to have a bunch of old monsters in it that the villains in the end were going to be the Harlem Globetrotters. Missed Opportunities, man...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is James Gunn's new jam and it's rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0x3OS4ML0

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
the scene in super where ellen page rapes rainn wilson is pretty brutal

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've never seen Slither, but I will check it out thanks to this thread, ty op if it's good gently caress you op if it's bad

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

its very good and funny. The whole cast is perfect and it has a ton of silly horror references before that became too annoying in modern horror. It's very much an old school creature feature.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've never seen Slither, but I will check it out thanks to this thread, ty op if it's good gently caress you op if it's bad

Your enjoyment of Slither is largely dependent on what kind of Coke you like (hopefully Mr. Pibb).

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Volcanic Vents posted:

Your enjoyment of Slither is largely dependent on what kind of Coke you like (hopefully Mr. Pibb).

I get the knock off Dr. Bob

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dr Thunder is the off-brand non-cola of choice.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Agreed that those are Troma's best films.

Hell, I even kinda enjoy the Scooby Doo films.

The first movie was made before self aware remakes became a dumb thing, so its pretty fun. The villain reveal is still pretty funny and it does a solid job translating the characters to live action.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ruddiger posted:

He wrote some of the best work Troma has done with Terror Firmer and Tromeo & Juliet.

I love that he constantly reuses Michael Rooker too. Dude has great tastes in actors.

I'd like to remind everyone that Troma has those and a bunch of other movies up on their YouTube channel for free.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Tromamovies

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Slither is def in my top 10 favorite horror movies. Gunn has a real gift for being funny and somehow putting forth something grotesque and horrific with veering into Eli Roth type material. As silly as Slither was, it had a few scenes that were pretty unpleasant and disturbing. Guy is good at what he does.

Guardians of the Galaxy might be my least favorite James Gunn movie, and I still love the hell out of it. (Disclaimer: I know nothing of his Troma stuff because I've never found anything I've seen from Troma to be good or intetesting)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

My favorite Gunn project is definitely Project Runway

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

LGD posted:

My favorite Gunn project is definitely Project Runway

Lol

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Judging by your avatar you'd definitely like it, its some of the same type of body horror as Society, mixed with stuff like Night of the Creeps and The Blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I didn't see slither until well after it came out, but it's really drat good. Terribly underrated.

• Locked thread