Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Played a couple hours, the style and presentation are as stupidly awesome as you'd expect from Grasshopper and it seems crazy deep and polished for a free game. I'm worried that it will eventually get kinda boring or repetitive because I'm already experiencing some of that with the combat being really really simple.

They really should patch in lock-on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
It's R3 to lock on, feels like it slows you down to the point you have to block some attacks instead of dodging everything. R1+L1 is Taunt

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
This is the first game in a long time that I've played to the point of a tremendous headache two days in a row.
That said, I really am worried about the future of Let it Die. There;s almost no reason to buy the premium currency if you're decent at videogames and the lack of customization options for characters is gonna turn people off hard.

Everyone do what I do and bug all your friends until they start playing it.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

veni veni veni posted:

I only played for an hour or so. Does it get more interesting as far as enemy encounters go as the game goes on?

More enemy types that all act uniquely do arise eventually, alongside total a change of scenery after floor 10.
The thing is, this game is meant to be super duper long (128 multiple stage 'floors') and spreading content evenly through it means you'll have a few more hours of the same thing before anything crazy and new hits.
New weapons (SMG's, Sniper Rifles, actual good melee weapons) come out around the same time in limited quantities to deal with them.

That said, if the quest for elevators and the first 2 bosses don't feel fun - that's pretty much the meat of the game.
The fact that you will have to make multiple characters eventually (your starting one can only level up 25 times) means you will inevitably become very well acquainted with the first few floors.

As a rough estimate I've spent 12 hours on the game so far (not including PvP raids) and I'm just now having fully explored all avenues under the 10th floor.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Weirdly endearing game - hoping punching stuff remains viable as knocking Haters across the room with one smack is very :black101:

Already seeing people deliberately suicide with high level characters to make progress a pain in the arse for lower levels though, which is a shame but not unexpected.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Weirdly endearing game - hoping punching stuff remains viable as knocking Haters across the room with one smack is very :black101:

Already seeing people deliberately suicide with high level characters to make progress a pain in the arse for lower levels though, which is a shame but not unexpected.

I don't think that's deliberate on the players' part. Haters just seem to be randomly dispersed throughout floors without a care for player level.

It's not so bad, though. A level 30 Hater can still get hosed right up by a level 1 Player if you have any sleep or poison mushrooms, plus the occasional dropkick.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Is there any way to organize a team or clan or whatever the gently caress in this game? Can you specify targets or is it all random searching? From previous experience with asynchronous PvP F2P games if you don't have an active group of players threatening to raid your enemies until they ragequit the game, some group will eventually find you and do that very thing to you. I'm expecting to get all my fighters captured and all my money permanently drained once I get to enough of a level to be past the bulk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CrashCat posted:

Is there any way to organize a team or clan or whatever the gently caress in this game? Can you specify targets or is it all random searching? From previous experience with asynchronous PvP F2P games if you don't have an active group of players threatening to raid your enemies until they ragequit the game, some group will eventually find you and do that very thing to you. I'm expecting to get all my fighters captured and all my money permanently drained once I get to enough of a level to be past the bulk.

Seems to all be random, sort of like base raids in the Phantom Pain. "Groups" are regional and don't appear to affect anything besides your icon on the multiplayer screen.

I haven't been raided yet myself so I don't know what it entails, but the money and SP drain seems minimal given the poo poo I nick from other people.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Game seems like a neat Suda51 Souls Roguelike. That said, you guys were saying there's some sort of invasion/async MP PvP? I loving HATE that poo poo in every game I've played it in because the F2P concept of someone coming in and loving up my game's progress is ridiculous. Any more details on this?

It's very barebones. People can raid your station when you're not playing and steal money and SP from your terminals. You can assign your fighters to guard the place, but I don't know what happens if they're killed - if they disappear from your Freezer, lose their stuff, or what.

I do know it's possible for invaders to just kidnap your fighters outright upon defeat and recruit them to their own game, but I've only been able to do that once and it was on the tutorial raid so I don't know what the trigger is.

Your defensive options are pretty meager. A defender's best hope seems to be just training up a hardy squad of fighters and bogging down the invader with them, because an invader only has three minutes to rob you and a few Level 25 fighters can keep them busy for a while.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 5, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Game seems like a neat Suda51 Souls Roguelike. That said, you guys were saying there's some sort of invasion/async MP PvP? I loving HATE that poo poo in every game I've played it in because the F2P concept of someone coming in and loving up my game's progress is ridiculous. Any more details on this?

Also, this game really did launch with no warning. I don't even remember how I heard about it yesterday but it was basically a throw-off paragraph in some article and when I went to check for videos on YouTube there was a single video that was actual gameplay and not a trailer. I fear this game is going to die before I get to the good parts. :ohdear:

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Im sick and need to pause frequently to sneeze or pass out, can I pause or are there waiting areas I can get to?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
You can pause. The game's not Dark Souls, all the enemies are strictly AI controlled.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

I don't think that's deliberate on the players' part. Haters just seem to be randomly dispersed throughout floors without a care for player level.

It's not so bad, though. A level 30 Hater can still get hosed right up by a level 1 Player if you have any sleep or poison mushrooms, plus the occasional dropkick.

Well that's not so bad then. Just have to worry about direct invasions I guess. :v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, this game really did launch with no warning. I don't even remember how I heard about it yesterday but it was basically a throw-off paragraph in some article and when I went to check for videos on YouTube there was a single video that was actual gameplay and not a trailer. I fear this game is going to die before I get to the good parts. :ohdear:
Apparently the game that he was making before was announced like two or three years ago and then fell off the face of the earth, so the blindside isn't surprising.

From what I've seen watching other players each raider can take Kill Coins and SPLithium as well as capture any fighter that is set to defend the base. Putting up your most valuable asset (your fighters) as collateral for an asynchronous combat seems incredibly stupid to me, especially since all your Kill Coins that you would need to bust them out can also be stolen. If there's anything I know from asynch PvP games is that any defense you put up WILL be defeated unless you are one of the most poopsock players in the game. So the best bet will probably be to leave it undefended and count any money left over at the end of your play session as forfeit.

Usually the only way around the "any defense will be defeated" rule is intimidation, but you need to be able to have clan tags and choose targets and poo poo to pull that off. If there is at least some method to take on a specific target for revenge then we should set up a community or friends list or whatever. If not then they missed the boat because that's pretty standard fare for this kind of game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This reminds me heavily of the Rengoku series for the PSP, and as one of the 17 people who played that (and loved the absolute poo poo out of the second game), that's an extremely good thing. Only thing I'm not entirely sold on is the contrasting wackyness of stuff like Uncle Death with the non-stop body horror and corruption aesthetic. If this is what Lily Bergamot was supposed to be, I kinda wish we'd gotten that instead.

Don't get me wrong though, this is probably the most fun I've had playing a Freemium game in years, possibly ever, and I genuinely cannot wait to see where the game goes from here.

Whoa whoa whoa back the gently caress up. As one of the other 17 people who played and loved Rengoku 2 and accepted Rengoku 1, I'll need you to go more in-depth here. How similar are we talking?

... Can I equip a revolver on my head?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CrashCat posted:

Usually the only way around the "any defense will be defeated" rule is intimidation, but you need to be able to have clan tags and choose targets and poo poo to pull that off. If there is at least some method to take on a specific target for revenge then we should set up a community or friends list or whatever. If not then they missed the boat because that's pretty standard fare for this kind of game.

A tutorial message mentioned that if someone invades you specifically there's an option to counter-invade, but I'm not sure how that works. It seems like the idea is that nothing you have is particularly valuable, including your characters, and you shouldn't really expect to keep things for long.

By the way, my starting gift was a pistol that was handy until it needed to reload, which fucks you hard because you can't manually reload and slow down a lot to do it, and get staggered out of it, but I'm out of bullets now. How do I get more? Just find them randomly?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
There's a Meijin Tip that says manual reload is L2/R2 + X depending on what hand your gun is in. I haven't found another gun yet but I'm pretty sure once a gun is out of bullets just trash/sell it

Also don't brush off Mejin because his tips are stuff that should have been in the main tutorial

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lakbay posted:

There's a Meijin Tip that says manual reload is L2/R2 + X depending on what hand your gun is in. I haven't found another gun yet but I'm pretty sure once a gun is out of bullets just trash/sell it

Well poo poo. :v:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

You can pause. The game's not Dark Souls, all the enemies are strictly AI controlled.

Does it pause on the Rolodex because it looks like just the Options menu doesn't do it.

Touchpad inventory management and usage is a terrible design, especially considering there seem to be empty controls.

I guess I haven't gotten to the invasion tutorial yet. So after I finish playing for the session, any unspent kill coins aren't banked but instead just sit in my base for someone to take? gently caress that.

Forced async PvP is one of the worst trends in the last few years. MGSV only got away with it because I finished the game before they made it more prominent/gently caress you. I have NO interest in playing Clash of Clans.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Also MGSV let you disconnect manually and play in offline mode, though you lose some benefits you could always ignore the FOBs if you wanted to after the forced introduction. If there is an option to just not sign up for the base raids I'd do it, but that would make the feature kind of worthless for everyone else.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Guys, after playing for a while I've come to the conclusion that this game is cool and good. I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as, say, Bloodborne. I'm not upset at spending a lot of time on it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Conveniently I don't have a way to play Bloodborne so I can't compare the two. As such, this plays fairly well if not a bit janky.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's lame that I can't listen to all of this good music outside of the lobby, and it's also lame that I can't buy the soundtrack or find a rip of it anywhere

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

It's lame that I can't listen to all of this good music outside of the lobby, and it's also lame that I can't buy the soundtrack or find a rip of it anywhere

It lists the bands on the LID website if nothing else

Can you change the radio station in the arcade? I can only turn the radio on and off

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

lets hang out posted:

Someone put together this playlist but I dunno how accurate it is

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLU9n9soeZ5DPc3yatf2AKZHkwOTDZ4Ds8

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

It lists the bands on the LID website if nothing else

Can you change the radio station in the arcade? I can only turn the radio on and off

Left and right on the dpad

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
How long was Ruby Bideobi in development? Because this looks like it's using UE3 in 2016.

Either that or it's just the industry standard Japanese take on graphics not mattering.

:goonsay:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
Man, any time I think the game has clicked with me, I come across this level 30 hater who destroys me in two attacks and I feel I don't understand this game anymore. It's a super bad scene and maybe the game could be better about not immediately dicking you over with high level haters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ElNarez posted:

Man, any time I think the game has clicked with me, I come across this level 30 hater who destroys me in two attacks and I feel I don't understand this game anymore. It's a super bad scene and maybe the game could be better about not immediately dicking you over with high level haters.

High level Haters hit ridiculously hard but most of the time they're just as flinch-y and easy to bait as any other enemy. If you have Fuzzy Fungus or Doomshrooms then throwing one of those and then lining up a dropkick or two when they're incapacitated is choice.

It's when they have enough armor so you can't counter them out of their swings that you're really super hosed. Best bet then is just to run like hell and hope they get caught up attacking lesser mobs along the way.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah anytime I see a Hater whose level is significantly higher than mine I run the gently caress away. Unless I can't, but we don't talk about those times.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Oxxidation posted:

Best bet then is just to run like hell and hope they get caught up attacking lesser mobs along the way.
Yep, that really seems to help and the game even gives that (tangling them on other enemies) as a tip. They seem to always pop up in the same designated locations so you can anticipate that and get them embroiled in something, and snipe back at them if it'll last more than a couple hits.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you stagger punches to just keep doing the first one in the combo over and over you've got a decent chance of stunlocking haters. Not the fastest approach but hey.

Sneaking up and throwing then stomping on them usually eats up most of their health too

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Either this game is programmed to be a dick or it got absurdly lucky because I just had a floor with a Hater that was standing still in a doorway that was hard to see into, so I ran up and he jumped out and one shotted me. It was very Souls.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Either this game is programmed to be a dick or it got absurdly lucky because I just had a floor with a Hater that was standing still in a doorway that was hard to see into, so I ran up and he jumped out and one shotted me. It was very Souls.

Be extremely wary of long corridors. Most of them are laid out to trap you in exactly that way.

I'm only up to floor 8 so far but there are definitely room layouts that all but go "this is going to suck." Of special note was a blood-spattered repaste of the first miniboss room with a single briefcase in the middle. Open the case against my better judgement and a dozen trap turrets open fire in every direction as two Haters drop in from the ceiling.

Chest had a Magnum, though. Worth it!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Btw up on the dpad switches locked targets

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Everyone is probably already doing this but make sure you see what each rage attack for each weapon is. Like the iron has an AoE stun and it only costs 1 rage level

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
And on that note, for the love of God, don't use the hockey stick's Rage technique. It sends out an extremely glitchy puck projectile that's more likely to kill you than the enemies.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I know this game isn't great but there's something about it that keeps sucking me in, hell if I can explain what that something is though.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Infinity Gaia posted:

Whoa whoa whoa back the gently caress up. As one of the other 17 people who played and loved Rengoku 2 and accepted Rengoku 1, I'll need you to go more in-depth here. How similar are we talking?

... Can I equip a revolver on my head?

Not yet, unfortunately (you can get revolvers, but they're regular handguns, sorry), but you have 3 slots for weapons on each hand, your aptitude using each one increases as you earn kills and there's a multitude of weird weapons to select from (only 40, compared to Rengoku's eleventy bajillion, but still a bigger selection than your average game). It's slower-paced, which isn't surprising, but it has the same oppressive feeling, a semi-electronic soundtrack. The stages are randomly generated, but once generated they're 'locked' in place for return visits. The enemies all look like they're cobbled together from junk and scrap, and many of them are, or at least their armour is. Hell, it takes place in a tower, which made me laugh...

It's by no means a 1:1 copy, sadly (I'm still annoyed that the proposed PS3 game vanished into the ether), and much of it you could say 'well, that was probably taken from Dark Souls'. But for me, the atmosphere, the feel of the game, the sense of unease and horrible mutation and corruption, it reminds me a heck of a lot of Rengoku 2, but obviously, ymwv. It also reminds me a lot of Baroque (PS2/Wii/PS1/Saturn), which was another horribly oppressive Roguelike that had a wonderful feel of mutation and sickness.

Also also, kudos for having excellent taste in hella obscure PSP games :hfive:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I really like this game. It's a roguelike that doesn't suck. At first I didn't like how weapon durability was so bad from poo poo you pick up, but then i realized that the reason for that is because there's so many weapons everywhere and my inventory was constantly full of them. I can accept healing items and shrooms not stacking, but R&D items not stacking is really annoying - rather it would be more annoying if i didnt have the option of going back to the waiting room every few floors, but the cost of that can drain you if you're not careful. Haters are a really interesting mechanic, especially with how me, a level 5 caveman can take out a level 27 ranger rear end in a top hat who somehow has a firework gun that isn't poo poo in only a few hits (and maybe with a rage attack)

seeing as the F2P stuff is handled by Gungho, I can imagine that I won't need to worry about the cash shop money for a few months at the least. This is a good game.

edit: this game is better at being a platformer than Dark Souls

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Weapon durability isn't bothering me so far because Unarmed is quite strong so far. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to save weapons for non-trash mobs/Haters.

I've already killed and been killed by like seven goon Haters :v:

• Locked thread